• No
  • Other (explain below)
Comments
41 - 60 of 15,962 Comments Last updated 5 hrs ago
skippy

Eureka, CA

#47 Oct 8, 2010
Certified AOD Counselor wrote:
The problem, if Prop. 19 passes (and I am one of the "YES" votes!), will be that EVERY city and county in the state will have to make a decision as to whether marijuana can be sold or cultivated or possessed, within their local jurisdiction! That means ALL 58 Counties, PLUS ALL 481 incorporated cities in CA, will have to decide if marijuana is "legal" at a SPECIFIC local level. Some cities will still say no to it, for the revenue that citing people for possessing it, or growing it "illegally" will bring.
It will be interesting to see WHERE in CA, marijuana will be "legal" 1 year after Election Day!
I, too, am generally in favor of the proposal but in addition to, and complementary of, Certified AOD Counselor's comments...

I'm not too sure it will eliminate the black market or criminal element of marijuana cultivation or sales as well. It may in California, but I believe every deliberate Tom, Dick, and Harry from California, not to mention criminal enterprises, will try exporting it to the other 49 states-- and their law enforcement agencies and DA's will be going nuts over this weed explosion from the West. Fed Ex, UPS, and the USPS will be also be going nuts inspecting packages from California-- and making referrals to their local law enforcement.

We're permissive here in this state but they certainly aren't in others-- where even the smallest amount in possession or transportation will land you in the clink (think Nevada and Arizona, for example).
Dr Leo MD

Eureka, CA

#48 Oct 8, 2010
Cannabis is less physically addictive than caffeine, while the so-called “gateway drug” theory is a complete fantasy, and it was just recently called “half-baked” as a result of a scientific study. CNN reported that Cocaine use has dropped sharply, by 30% since 2002, which is really good news.

I worked in addiction medicine for years, and this is what I can advice on the matter: Any suppression of Cannabis use will be immediately followed by an increase in alcohol/hard drug/prescription drug abuse! You don’t believe me? Then maybe you will believe the Big Alcohol lobby that is financing the Cannabis Legalization opponents for exactly this reason.

Right now Cannabis is just simply perceived as a much safer alternative to alcohol/hard drugs, which is precisely how it should be perceived. To have a society in which there is NO psychoactive substance use is an illusion, and it will be good for our government to realize this. So then, it becomes a matter of “safer choices”, just like with the sex education. And Cannabis is, without a shadow of a doubt, a much safer choice than alcohol or hard drugs.

Just very recently a research study in addiction medicine has determined that Cannabis may actually serve as an “exit” substance for recovering alcoholics/hard drug addicts!

And there is another extremely important property of Cannabis that the prohibitionists would love to keep secret: Cannabis use suppresses violent urges and behaviors and, as one prestigious textbook says,“Only the unsophisticated think otherwise”.

Then, of course, there is a potential for Cannabis in chronic pain, where other drugs may be ineffective (or physically addictive), with very important potential implications for our wounded veterans, many of whom have chronic pain.

It is also worth noting that Cannabis may have certain preventative value for such devastating conditions as cancer and Alzheimer’s disease. And all this comes with no danger of overdoses or induction of a physical dependence! Let’s be very happy that the cocaine abuse rate is dropping.

Let’s not interfere with these dynamics, and then we can possibly achieve what has already been achieved in the Netherlands where the drug overdose rate is 85%(!!) lower than in the US, and that is with much more liberal Cannabis possession laws than in this country!

Maybe it is time to give up “dogma” about Cannabis, and to start listening to the experts, if we really want to lower the alcohol/hard drug use in this country, and the accompanying dependencies and overdoses!
Dr Leo MD

Eureka, CA

#49 Oct 8, 2010
As a medical doctor, my aim has always been to filter out the cultural noise surrounding the genus Cannabis and see it dispassionately: as a plant with bioactivity in human beings that may have therapeutic value. From this perspective, what can it offer us?

As it turns out, a great deal. Research into possible medical uses of Cannabis is enjoying a renaissance. In recent years, studies have shown potential for treating nausea, vomiting, premenstrual syndrome, insomnia, migraines, multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injuries, alcohol abuse, collagen-induced arthritis, asthma, atherosclerosis, bipolar disorder, depression, Huntington's disease, Parkinson's disease, sickle-cell disease, sleep apnea, Alzheimer's disease and anorexia nervosa.

But perhaps most exciting, cannabinoids (chemical constituents of Cannabis, the best known being tetrahydrocannabinol or THC) may have a primary role in cancer treatment and prevention. A number of studies have shown that these compounds can inhibit tumor growth in laboratory animal models. In part, this is achieved by inhibiting angiogenesis, the formation of new blood vessels that tumors need in order to grow. What's more, cannabinoids seem to kill tumor cells without affecting surrounding normal cells. If these findings hold true as research progresses, cannabinoids would demonstrate a huge advantage over conventional chemotherapy agents, which too often destroy normal cells as well as cancer cells.

As long ago as 1975, researchers reported that cannabinoids inhibited the growth of a certain type of lung cancer cell in test tubes and in mice. Since then, laboratory studies have shown that cannabinoids have effects against tumor cells from glioblastoma (a deadly type of brain cancer) as well as those from thyroid cancer¸ leukemia/lymphoma, and skin, uterus, breast, stomach, colorectal, pancreatic and prostate cancers.

So far, the only human test of cannabinoids against cancer was performed in Spain, and was designed to determine if treatment was safe, not whether it was effective.(In studies on humans, such "phase one trials," are focused on establishing the safety of a new drug, as well as the right dosage.) In the Spanish study, reported in 2006, the dose was administered intracranially, directly into the tumors of patients with recurrent brain cancer. The investigation established the safety of the dose and showed that the compound used decreased cell proliferation in at least two of nine patients studied.

It is not clear that smoking marijuana achieves blood levels high enough to have these anticancer effects. We need more human research, including well-designed studies to find the best mode of administration.

If you want to learn more about this subject, I recommend an excellent documentary film, "What If Cannabis Cured Cancer," by Len Richmond, which summarizes the remarkable research findings of recent years. Most medical doctors are not aware of this information and its implications for cancer prevention and treatment. The film presents compelling evidence that our current policy on Cannabis is counterproductive.

Another reliable source of information is the chapter on cannabinoids and cancer in "Integrative Oncology" (Oxford University Press, 2009), a textbook I edited with integrative oncologist Donald I. Abrams, M.D.(Learn more about integrative cancer treatment from Dr. Abrams.)

After more than 70 years of misinformation about this botanical remedy, I am delighted that we are finally gaining a mature understanding of its immense therapeutic potential.

“Emblem of the Brave and True”

Since: Sep 10

Los Angeles, CA

#50 Oct 8, 2010
tinamo wrote:
I am voting no. Have just a couple of basic questions? Who will be going to their homes to measure the regulated grow? Department of Agriculture? How are these users really going to keep the weed away from their kids and their friends? What breathalyzer test are we going to use when some one is under the influence and driving?
There won't be a need to go into peoples homes if its regulated like alcohol and tobacco. How many people do you know that smoke cigarettes grow their own tobacco?
The same way people keep alcohol and prescription drugs away from their children. Its called being responsible.
Police officers already have numerous ways of determining if someone is under the influence of any drug be it prescription or marijuana and there is a swab test readily available on the market already.
Besides the DOT and NHTS facts already prove that of all the accidents in california 1% of them involve marijuana. And most studies done show that marijuana is far safer to drive on then alcohol. Don't vote no you've had 73 years of prohibition and doing it your way. Give it a chance, tax it and watch how much revenue it'll bring in. It is the largest cash crop in america right now as is. Vote yes, be responsible and let people have the right to use a plant responsibly.

“Emblem of the Brave and True”

Since: Sep 10

Los Angeles, CA

#51 Oct 8, 2010
Jeff wrote:
Until the FDA reschedules, all of our efforts to make right this law get squandered in power vacuums.
We will not get "legal marijuana" under this law. What we will do is tie the hands of Law Enforcement, and we will continue to be under the mercies of money loving dope runners just like we are under SB 420 and prop 215. And I don't know what's worse; prohibitionist cops or money loving dope runners. When it was all illegal, it was cheaper. Once they could make money, they took us for everything we got. "Sorcery" is the word that best describes that extortion.
I almost want to vote no on it, because I see what they're doing. They don't care about the cause, they want the money, they want the business. They're not making legal pot, they're making money. They don't care about lives destroyed on a lie, they want to exploit those lives to make a buck. They've become corrupted, they traded the passion for money.
The proponents of this initiative could learn a thing or two from the Pharisees in Christ's day. The Righteous remember those bound in chains, as though they were there with them. The righteous recognize the pains and sorrows brought by the love of money and resist that temptation. The righteous do the right things, for the right reasons, and do not compromise a just cause, just to make a buck.
Cheaper back then? I can get an ounce of name brand kush from my neighborhood dispensary for 60 bucks. Sure its only juicy fruit but still that's a good deal. If I wanna go for the Norcal then its pricey but you only need just a tiny bit of that to enjoy responsibly.

Give us a chance. Prohibition hasn't worked just give it a chance. Vote Yes on 19.

“I like mexican food a LOT”

Since: Dec 08

Various Cities in Marin County

#52 Oct 8, 2010
I will be voting YES even though I don't smoke weed myself nor do any of my friends. I believe like alchohol and cigarettes, it should be up to the individual. Do I feel it's good for you or bad for you? I really don't know for sure... probably a bit of both depending on how frequently it's used and your other lifestyle habbits. HOWEVER, I DO NOT believe that if a person smokes it in their own home it should be anybody elses business. In fact, while I think it would be terribly irresponsible to smoke in front of children, until they make it illegal to smoke cigarettes in front of children, I don't know why they would make smoking pot in front of them illegal? I think tobacco and alchohol companies have nothing to gain and everything to loose from legalizing pot... some people may choose "other options" to relax from a long days work.
LB citizen

Fountain Valley, CA

#53 Oct 8, 2010
Why is it wrong for people to "get rich" off of legalized marijuana? We live in a capitalist society, and making money is a good thing. Mass produced weed will make the overall cost cheaper, and that's good for MMJ patients, too. "The market" will reject chemicals and bad stuff added to weed.
look in a mirror

Pasadena, CA

#54 Oct 8, 2010
CitizenTopix wrote:
Proposition 19 would change California Law to Legalize Marijuana and Allow It to Be Regulated and Taxed:
- Allows people 21 years old or older to possess, cultivate, or transport marijuana for personal use.
- Permits local governments to regulate and tax commercial production and sale of marijuana to people 21 years old or older.
- Prohibits people from possessing marijuana on school grounds, using it in public, smoking it while minors are present, or providing it to anyone under 21 years old.
- Maintains current prohibitions against driving while impaired.
How will you vote on November 2?
This is a distraction. When is topix going to clean up its act?

Why do you encourage trolling, racism and threats?

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#55 Oct 8, 2010
Easy. Legalize & tax the crap out of it. OR keep giving billions of untaxed black market dollars to drug gangs.

Ain't gotta be no rocket surgeon to figger that'n out.
THESAULSTER

Los Angeles, CA

#56 Oct 8, 2010
Yerboy wrote:
Easy. Legalize & tax the crap out of it. OR keep giving billions of untaxed black market dollars to drug gangs.
Ain't gotta be no rocket surgeon to figger that'n out.
thats right but if you vote for meg and the biblethumpers marijuana will be outlawed.

“Think for yourself”

Since: Oct 10

Temecula, CA

#57 Oct 8, 2010
THESAULSTER wrote:
<quoted text>thats right but if you vote for meg and the biblethumpers marijuana will be outlawed.
im no republican, but i don't really see meg whitman as a bible thumper. She's more of a fiscal republican than a Sarah Palin type.
Jeff

Hemet, CA

#58 Oct 8, 2010
If you want to be free, vote your Christian values.

"I can get an ounce of name brand kush from my neighborhood dispensary for 60 bucks."

who'd they steal it from?

You can't produce it and turn it lose that cheap. You can grow an indoor plant efficiently for about 50 bucks, and depending on how many problems you encounter, you can yield, hell, I've seen everywhere from 1/2 oz disasters to almost 1 pound off of "perfect" plants.

Bare bones minimum in the market is 30 bucks an 1/8th (pharmaceutical).
The only time is goes that cheap or cheaper is when gangsters are busting deals and moving in on markets. They will give you a lot of pot real cheap, and then call the cops on you, then pick up all your friends money as they monopolize the markets. They want the business. Classic racketeering.

-and it's hardly free market. Only certain people get to produce and participate. When everybody is free to grow, then you will see free market rules apply. What we have now is drug lords monopolizing the business.

now there are some individuals who have sought to give medicine away, bearing the expenses themselves because they still have a heart. But they're the first to go down. The moneylovers don't like what they do to their profit margin.

the love of money is the root of all evil. And the dope trade has made that very very lucid. If our leaders cared about us, they would strike the loopholes in SB 420 that allow for expense reimbursement. THey have so abused that privledge that there's no way to make it right anymore.

It also doesn't hurt when people quit buying pot. If we don't buy 70 dollar 1/8ths, they won't sell any either.
Jeff

Hemet, CA

#59 Oct 8, 2010
In 1995, I could pick up the bomb out of, anywhere from Cotati to Arcata for about 200 an ounce. Maybe 250 if you count my gas money too. I'll get them at a buck fifty now, but I have to wholesale. you can't get an ounce at that price.

Today, you buy 1/8th at the time, Just like Attorney General wrote in his guidelines. And as a result dispensaries can pull over 500 bucks on an ounce.
Jeff

Hemet, CA

#60 Oct 8, 2010
the market wars in Mendo about 5 or 6 years ago had people screaming "any kind of pot, 100 bucks an ounce"

but never 60 bucks an ounce, not for pharmaceutical quality pot
Jeff

Hemet, CA

#61 Oct 8, 2010
"This is a distraction. When is topix going to clean up its act? Why do you encourage trolling, racism and threats?"

the most effective tool the devil can use against the Truth is censorship. If he can silence the voice of Truth, the darkness will conitnue to reign.

And he tends to move towards censorship when he can no longer effectively defend his lie.
Jeff

Hemet, CA

#62 Oct 8, 2010
one more time, for those who've got caught up in all that postmodern science so falsely called propaganda that the ONDCP and just say no types put out:

There is a certain contrasting quality between judgments within the world view of the ONDCP and Christian theology. NO Bible believing Christian would accept any "toxicology" studies or reports from the ONDCP if they knew the axioms that were used to build their studies. One must "Test The Evidences" that come from outside Scripture. The "everything is toxic" philosophy embraced by the ONDCP and FDA is the exact opposite of sound Christian theology, and the corollary truths built upon it are not Biblically founded, and can be proven to be Biblically incorrect. And if it's not Theologically true, if it's not true in the Bible, than it isn't true at all.
The Scripture's warnings against these philosophies are traditionally viewed as warnings about the Gnostics of the second century. It was a blending of Jewish, Greek, or Eastern philosophy with Christianity. These Gnostic errors are widespread, they appear century after century, and shows itself in many forms of religion, not merely in distorted forms of Christianity. In life application today, we can see that same Gnostic germ resurface in our society in the influence of modernism and postmodernism. The war against cannabis is a frightening illustration, in that it is successful in stifling Evangelism within the local Church, and not many Leaders recognize what's going on, despite the fact that it devastates the lives of millions in perdition. This ascetic teaching is unnatural, contrary to the constitution of the world as that has been arranged by a holy and wise Creator, and it is also subversive of Christian liberty. Nothing can be esteemed common or unclean without throwing a reproach upon the Creator. In summary, the Christian world view cannabis prohibition is different than the ONDCP world view. In the ONDCP world view, it's "just say no". In the Christian world view, it's "be ye sober".

Sources
-International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
-Theological Dictionary of the New Testament
-Systematic Theology, Dr Norman Geisler
-Systematic Theology Wayne Grudem
-Discourse with New Mexico University Toxicology instructor in conjunction with the Office of National Drug Control Policy (not public)

Supporting Scriptures (chapters)
Matthew 11
Romans 14
Ephesians 2
Colossians 2
1 Timothy 4
Titus 1
Revelation 2,(Pergamos)

Supporting Traditions-
just look here
http://www.lucashempco.com/cms/node/19
pollyana71

Corona, CA

#63 Oct 8, 2010
YES ON 19!
nothing but drama

Attleboro, MA

#64 Oct 8, 2010
I sure hope they legalize it that would be like a dream come true
Jimbo

Turlock, CA

#65 Oct 8, 2010
ncla22 wrote:
<quoted text> lol jimbo were you high when you wrote this...wow
Thanks you for your kined words there.

Jimbo Out
Legalize It

Mount Wilson, CA

#66 Oct 8, 2010
Yes on Prop 19!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Berkeley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Richmond Auto Sales 4 hr Ernestina Sandoval 1
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 5 hr dannytome 200,587
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 9 hr Truthforthought 18,871
New vision taking shape for area around Oakland... 23 hr April 5
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) Fri Macko mono 5,000
Canada tops in key measures of scientific literacy Fri Michael 1
Indictment in CHP copter laser shining in Oakland Thu Just Wonder'n 1
•••

Berkeley News Video

•••
Berkeley Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Berkeley Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000