Mexican market grows into new Vallejo...

Mexican market grows into new Vallejo home

There are 18 comments on the Vallejo Times-Herald story from Dec 18, 2009, titled Mexican market grows into new Vallejo home. In it, Vallejo Times-Herald reports that:

Vargas Mexican Market has been in Vallejo for a decade, and though Tony Torres said he's lived in town for five years, he said he had no idea it was there.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Vallejo Times-Herald.

AFB

Daly City, CA

#1 Dec 18, 2009
How is the new Mi Pueblo Market going to affect this store?
DHH

Coronado, CA

#2 Dec 18, 2009
They better get some good security.
John from Vallejo

Glendale, CA

#3 Dec 18, 2009
I will be there on Saturday to try the tacos. This is a great story.
Anonymous

San Francisco, CA

#4 Dec 18, 2009
Ethnic stores and restaurants can enhance the diversity of Vallejo. If you go down to the Fremont area, for example, you will see alot of Asian places there, especially Persian (Iran) and Indian. The Indians even have a movie theatre of their own that shows all the Bollywood Indian movies. It's an extension of the Silicon Valley workforce in San Jose area. Vallejo Chamber of Commerce should encourage more ethnic peoples to setup shop in Vallejo.
Mr Vallejo

Sacramento, CA

#5 Dec 18, 2009
Fantastic!
Welcome to the town.

Since: Jun 09

Walnut Creek, CA

#6 Dec 18, 2009
I have been to the original to get korean bbq.(They cut to size as requested at no charge) The quality is very good, the people are great! I will definetely keep going and look forward to seeing inside the new place. It looks great from the outside!
Thank you for investing in Vallejo!!!!!
Charlie

Mexico, Mexico

#7 Dec 18, 2009
Gracias por la tienda!

La familia Vargas en un gran beneficio para la ciudad de Vallejo.
SayWhat

AOL

#8 Dec 18, 2009
Anonymous wrote:
Ethnic stores and restaurants can enhance the diversity of Vallejo. If you go down to the Fremont area, for example, you will see alot of Asian places there, especially Persian (Iran) and Indian. The Indians even have a movie theatre of their own that shows all the Bollywood Indian movies. It's an extension of the Silicon Valley workforce in San Jose area. Vallejo Chamber of Commerce should encourage more ethnic peoples to setup shop in Vallejo.
I agree with you on this issue. Vallejo is almost equally divided demographically into Hispanic, Black, White and Filipino and the best that we get from all this diversity are Chain Restaurants, Fast Food shops and a few Chinese restaurants. There is an abundent demand from the local population to support these ethnic restaurants, market and businesses. Good Luck.
reader

Sacramento, CA

#9 Dec 18, 2009
learn english before benefitting from the evil american capitalism!
Former Resident

Round Rock, TX

#10 Dec 19, 2009
This is a great story due to the following reasons:
1. Despite the hard times, this depicts that with hard work,economic diversity and perseverence still exists within the city.
2. That a local product (Bethel HS 2007) graduate is leading the way and has hired locally.
3. That this will hopefully diminish the racial divide among the City of Vallejo that seems to permeate the community.

Additionally, I agree with the author who mentioned that the City will use this to jumpstart Vallejo's economy with business incentives and/or mentoring.

“Learn From Your Mistakes!”

Since: Oct 09

Vallejo

#11 Dec 19, 2009
Vargas is at a great location. Last night it was brightly lit and looked very inviting indeed. Thanks for developing in Vallejo during hard times. It will be shot in the arm to the shopping center there and our town, too. I'll have to see if they've got my Marie Sharps or Melinda's hot sauces, which are hard to find and are great on many foods. Seasoned meats are something that the old line grocery stores (Read Safe*** or Luck*) have been slow to incorporate, if at all. Also, the independent markets have better prices, too. The market in South Vallejo across from Burger King/Mariposa in the corner of the RiteAid lot has cilantro at 1/3 regular market prices, fresh killer guacamole, and a BBQ outside that cranks out simply unbelievable Carne Asada.(Try the meal pack with rice and beans sometime, you can't stop eating!)
So Good Luck and Welcome to the "new" Vargas Market, Peace & Prosperity to You!
Feliz Navidad!
Napa Knows

Napa, CA

#12 Dec 19, 2009
Whats even more amazing about the transformation of diversity in Vallejo is that unless your Mexican you will not be an employee of Vargas Market. Mexican employers only hire Mexicans... no matter the busines or the job. Some would call that racist... but in a place like Vallejo they would call that diversity.
Vallejo Rez

United States

#14 Dec 19, 2009
i love Mexican food, but c'mon! You've been in this country for 20 years and don't speak a lick of English! What the (h)ell!!!! But I guess you don;t have to since everyhting is provided for you in Spanish thanks to this liberal state and country. So much for the great melting pot....
FBO

Daly City, CA

#16 Feb 5, 2010
C'mon! you've lived here more than 500 years and don't speak a lick of Native American.
Valley Girl

Walnut Creek, CA

#17 Sep 3, 2010
I have had the experience to visit to the San Jose store and boy it's amazing. I very pleased they are coming to Vallejo.
Ho Dee Doo

“Just Brew It !!!”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#18 Sep 26, 2010
It's the beginning of the end for this area as we know it.
Litigate

United States

#19 Sep 26, 2010
Anonymous wrote:
Indians and Asians like to go to cities that have good schools, besides, Vallejo is encouraging ethnic groups to set up shop, we have the Fighting Back program catering to parolees and we have section 8 housing to attract Oakland and Richmonds overflow. They have all kinds of great business ventures,.there's drugs and hookers downtown and if they need quick cash they are adept at robbing any small business that may have $20.00 on hand.

Vallejo is a flourishing ethnic paradise!
Sur 13 Beat

Babylon, NY

#20 May 10, 2014
Litigate wrote:
<quoted text>
Indians and Asians like to go to cities that have good schools, besides, Vallejo is encouraging ethnic groups to set up shop, we have the Fighting Back program catering to parolees and we have section 8 housing to attract Oakland and Richmonds overflow. They have all kinds of great business ventures,.there's drugs and hookers downtown and if they need quick cash they are adept at robbing any small business that may have $20.00 on hand.
Vallejo is a flourishing ethnic paradise!
You are correct the area is in a downward slide. I lived in Oakland and was too ghetto. I am hoping Vallejo takes a turn for the better. Too many gangs in Oakland ... As a gang dropout I hope Vallejo delivers me a new day.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Berkeley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News African herbalist teaches the ancient art of he... 28 min mike 52
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 49 min proud 20,495
News Why it Matters: Income inequality 11 hr Maria 369
Will you blacks vote for trump? 12 hr Zeech 1
News Doctor heads to court after online sex sting (Nov '06) 17 hr Voyeur 17,321
News Nuclear power divides California's environmenta... Tue Solarman 1
Trump Nude Statues Are Back Aug 23 Shake them things 1

Berkeley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Berkeley Mortgages