California seeks to ban free, single-use carryout bags in retail

Jun 5, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Chain Store Age

New York City The California State Assembly on Wednesday narrowly approved a bill would make California the first state in the nation to ban single-use plastic and paper bags from being handed out free of charge at supermarkets, drug stores, convenience stores and liquor stores.

Comments
4,281 - 4,300 of 4,992 Comments Last updated 10 hrs ago

Since: Nov 12

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2013

Judged:

Rebels wrote:
The new Republican, Tea Party restrictive voting requirements bill, signed by "Republican" Gov. Pat McCrory, makes it harder for the elderly, minorities and low-income citizens to vote in the state.
This of course is another overt act by them confederate American hating rebels of the South.
Trashy people them Republicans.
the law will combat voter fraud, All people getting welfare have an ID. Who doesn't have an ID? The law will require voters to show an ID.
Republican lizards

Monrovia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2013

Judged:

The new Republican, Tea Party restrictive voting requirements bill, signed by "Republican" Gov. Pat McCrory, makes it harder for the elderly, minorities and low-income citizens to vote in the state.

This of course is another overt act by them confederate American hating rebels of the South.

Trashy people them yellow bellied Republicans.

“Grow the power within yourself”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2013

Ronald wrote:
<quoted text>
TravelQueen
Oh? You think that is dumb? How about the upfront mattress disposal fee that the California political ruling class is thinking of imposing on increasingly impoverished overtaxed Californians?
Environmentally friendly easily disposable grocery bag technology has been known in more inventive nations for many years. The fish love them, growing fat and sassy from eating corn based grocery bags. Such grocery bags also provide excellent mulch that can be used by backyard gardeners. The problem with requiring fat-cat Big Grocers to use them is that doing so would cut into the scam their pals - the political ruling class *("Liberals")*- is running.
As you may be aware, environmentally harmful disease spreading reusable grocery bags are heavily taxed in California. In addition, Lowenthal harassment taxes are imposed on the minority of overtaxed Long Beachers who not use expensive taxpayer provided food stamps.
Source: http://tinyurl.com/l6l6b2d
Source: http://tinyurl.com/ck5qywu
Source: http://tinyurl.com/cjwppqr
Ronald
I think a law is unnecessary here. This could have been done other ways, or simply evolving over time. This is gonna end up as another out-of control government ploy who will affect the poor only. Another dictum which probably has been lobbied by somebody

By letting it go, all gets done. As always, doing nothing ( from a politician) is the best thing to do.
Follys

Monrovia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2013

Judged:

Just carry on and mum it up.
pink putz

Dinuba, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2013

Judged:

Free bags
Amos

Pacoima, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2013

tired wrote:
Why dont retailers use biodegradeable bags?
The Law | Oct 24, 2012
Case# 10-2822 there are pictures of John Rankin Orange Cove, Ca ,,,,with the tea party fliers in hand! It is a federal violation John, you and your tea party really made a boo boo today.hopefully beckies BBQ will be willing to cover some of the fines you and your tea party will be spliting up! Thanks for putting out the info today I'm sure you really put a scare into your daddy Gabriel and Frank for stilling RUMS vote on 12th street and had several more ballots in Gabriel vehicle? Can you explain that?
Report this post
FooDooSoo

Monrovia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2013

Judged:

No one cares anymore, please check out at once,
Buehl B Hullah

Sonoma, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

you are full of nonsense the contstution garantys my right to get a bag and by God I will get a bag and that is that is that and no dang more.
Tea old news

Monrovia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

Old News - old news - old news - old news.
teeparty 2twottss

Sonoma, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Judged:

Join us in the teapotty xxx teaparty and you can get all the bags you can handle. they wont have nothing in them but that is the fault of everybody else as we will have stopped everything we dont understand in the country once we run the govmint into a full stop and turn it over to the kooch bros. Once we have stopped everything we dont understand, which amounts to everything, we can begin the deportaions and the sell outs. Yay, hooray, we are out of everything, again, to-day. No brains no headaches, we is true believers and we is right uptight and not too bright, works for fish, dont it.
Tide Party

Monrovia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Judged:

The Tide Party aka; tea party has been going out farther with each new tide cycle, something like washing the stench away.
Winny Bangbang

Berkeley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2013

Judged:

Where's the plastic bags? Oh, I forgot we are a commie run city now. Wecome to Sunnyvale,Commiefornia!
Cindy Lovemoore

Berkeley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2013

Judged:

Obama Boo Boo said "Plastic bags is what made this country great. Without plastic bags we are doomed!"
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2013

Judged:

Actually, activist Government licensed NGO organizations are used as a means to provide employment opportunities for otherwise unemployable university indoctrinated "Liberals". NAZI orientated anti-grocery shopper - pro-BIG FOOD political donor NGOs are fully supported with hard earned taxpayer money.

Obama *(BIG)* supports whatever his underlings cook up - especially by by wealthy overpaid and under-worked taxpayer supported Government university "professors". Let's deal first with that problem, then we can deal with their anti-grocery NAZI crowd followers.

Ronald
Healthy foods

Monrovia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2013

Judged:

In a health survey conducted across America is was voted as the least likely place on should EVER buy food from, McDonalds's..

Since: Nov 12

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2013

Judged:

Ronald wrote:
Actually, activist Government licensed NGO organizations are used as a means to provide employment opportunities for otherwise unemployable university indoctrinated "Liberals". NAZI orientated anti-grocery shopper - pro-BIG FOOD political donor NGOs are fully supported with hard earned taxpayer money.
Obama *(BIG)* supports whatever his underlings cook up - especially by by wealthy overpaid and under-worked taxpayer supported Government university "professors". Let's deal first with that problem, then we can deal with their anti-grocery NAZI crowd followers.
Ronald
Ronald
I agree, we have the most over educated university students that are not employable. We have art majors and people with worthless science degrees working at Starbucks that complain that the taxpayer should pay for their student loans.

Riccardo
Russin

Monrovia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2013

Judged:

Still in the zone of it didn't happen but if I keep talking about it then it will change back, It isn't going to change Back so get use to it or leave the country for RUSSIA.
McKenna

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2013

Judged:

I'm for this bill. People are ridiculous in how they want a bag for a single item. Or a double bag for 4 cans of food. It is so wasteful. And the cost of the bags is sure to add up for retailers... If you people want to whine THAT much about the big bad government 'stealing' your money, then just get reusable bags! That's the whole point of the Eco-friendly argument. You're just being stubborn and lazy.
How it is

Monrovia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Judged:

Unless we want to become part of the fossil record several thousand years from now like many species that preceded us we had better start figuring out how we are going to survive what comes next.

Food, shelter, and everything else that we need for our existence will ultimately come from different sources as many plants and animals that we currently rely on will disappear and many places that we lived in will become unlivable.

That is just how it is.
Mike

Westminster, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Judged:

Another dumb Liberal idea by the dumbest liberal state in the union. The bags aren't the problem, the dumb people that carelessly use them are. I return every single use plastic bag I use to the supermarket I shop at. It's called responsibility. This fricking state is becoming with all it's rules, and regulations, absolutely the least free state in the country.

I can't wait to get out of here, and I'm a native.

California, you can have it!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Berkeley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 5 hr RiccardoFire 15,932
Antioch decides not to raise minimum wage 6 hr long dong fooey 3
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 9 hr Chuck 18,763
Doctor heads to court after online sex sting (Nov '06) 10 hr Myron 16,903
West Oakland Mural 11 hr Sky101 1
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 16 hr ferris wheel 200,602
Quan's Legacy. 21 hr Quan must be gone 57

Search the Berkeley Forum:
•••

Berkeley News Video

•••
•••

Berkeley Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Berkeley People Search