California seeks to ban free, single-use carryout bags in retail

Jun 5, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Chain Store Age

New York City The California State Assembly on Wednesday narrowly approved a bill would make California the first state in the nation to ban single-use plastic and paper bags from being handed out free of charge at supermarkets, drug stores, convenience stores and liquor stores.

Comments
4,201 - 4,220 of 4,996 Comments Last updated Sunday Aug 24
pinky

Monrovia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Judged:

Go away and flail yourself/.
adfvqav

Madisonville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Judged:

uvhafp
rolled

Monrovia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Judged:

Not worth the time to comment on anymore.
Willy waacho

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Judged:

Obama Boo Boo says ban on bathroom tissue (T-paper) over dued. You all should do da hand wipe like me.
Juror B37

Monrovia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2013

Judged:

The Florida trial for Zimmerman juror: He shouldn't have gotten out of that car he was told by POLICE dispatcher to sit tight, REAK police were on their way.

Reminds me, doesn't Florida Gov. Rick Scott look like some kind of "wacko skin head."
Juror B37

Monrovia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2013

Judged:

The Florida trial for Zimmerman juror: He shouldn't have gotten out of that car he was told by POLICE dispatcher to sit tight, REAL police officers were on their way.

Reminds me, doesn't Florida Gov. Rick Scott look like some kind of "wacko skin head."
HEAD fbi SATELLITE

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2013

Judged:

after wathcing the satelite footage of plastic bags im a belivever
Just like a repub

Monrovia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2013

Judged:

Javier Sanchez, a top aide to Minnesota Republican wacko. Michele Bachmann, has been charged with thefts that police say took place in a House office building.

Stealing from a small business owner, typical of what republican's are doing all over America.
Just like a democrat

Ash Flat, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2013

Yes Sir ,these democrats are all sleazeballs if they can get a chance to handle the public's money!

UPDATE: FBI confirms State Treasurer Martha Shoffner's arrest, apparently for official misconduct

Democratic Arkansas Treasurer Martha Shoffner has been arrested for extortion by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and is being held in Pulaski County Jail, the Associated Press reported Saturday.

FBI spokeswoman Kimberly Brunell told the AP that Shoffner was arrested Saturday at her home in Newport and is scheduled for a federal court hearing Monday. Brunell said Shoffner was arrested on charges of "extortion under color of official right."

Shoffner, a former state legislator and second-term treasurer, was arrested at her home in Newport Saturday by FBI agents after a confidential informant had recorded her taking a $6,000 kickback for guiding lucrative state investment business to the informant, a securities salesman who commanded about a third of the state's billion-dollar bond business thanks to his payments to Shoffner. It was continuation of a string of payments to cover rent on Shoffner's Little Rock apartment and followed other alleged smaller gratuities, plus a $4,700 cash contribution to a campaign fund-raising event that the FBI thinks Shoffner pocketed.
Shoffner, serving her second term in office, has faced questions over the past year about the way her office has handled state investments. Legislative auditors last year questioned Shoffner's selling of bonds before they matured, a practice that they said cost the state more than $434,000 worth of earnings.

The sale of the bonds early resulted in a net economic loss, with Arkansas losing earnings it would have made had Shoffner's office held on to the bonds, auditors said. The largest net loss, more than $783,000, came from eight transactions with St. Bernard Financial Services, Inc., a Russellville-based company where Shoffner's office has purchased the bulk of its bonds.
Reublican toilet break

Monrovia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2013

Judged:

Sweet Lindsey Graham has another stupid Republican idea (toilet) US should consider Olympic boycott over possible Snowden asylum in Russia.

Lindsey your better AT CREATING A MESS THAN CLEAING ONE UP!
Cartoons

Monrovia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2013

Judged:

When did they bring back running women cartoons?
Bob

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

ARIZONA WE LOVE YOU wrote:
Just another way of reaching into my overly stretched butt hole in hopes taking a few more tax DOLLARS !!
They wont ban these bags but they are sure to attached a "Fee" aka TAX
Its a lot like the $8.00 additional "Fee" you play when purchasing a LCD Screen. They say its a recycling charge but the last I knew there was no redemption centers to get your money back when the stupid thing dies.
I say start dumpling your plastic bags into the ocean. Lets the sea life consume it. Fish love getting stuck in it like a mini-vacation
PROBLEM SOLVED CALIFORNIA.
RANKIN THE. MORON lives in O.C.
The O. C. Times, they called him that
'Cause he's not authentic like me.
Yeah, the guy from the O.C. paper
Said he makes druggies feel good
They'll vote for him, and not for me

See, real druggies , liars and thieves like RANKIN
Or me, or informed
Have talked the talk, and walked the walk.
Not come in late and won!

[refrain]

Oh, RANKIN THE MORON lives in O.C.
The O.C. Times, they called him that

'Cause he's moron but not authentically.
Oh, Rankin the Coward lives in O.C.
The O.C. Times, they called him that
'Cause he's slander , but not authentically.
Some say RANKIN. "articulate"
And bright and new and "clean."
The druggies sure loves this guy,
A instigator interloper's dream!
But, when you vote for a FOOL
Watch out, and don't be fooled!
Don't vote the RANKIN THE LIAR in -
'Cause 'cause I won't have nothing after all these years of sacrifice
And I won't get justice. This is about justice. This isn't about me, it's about justice.
OC times

Monrovia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

Sweet Lindsey Graham has another stupid Republican idea, US should consider Olympic boycott over possible Snowden asylum in Russia.

Lindsey your better AT CREATING A MESS THAN CLEAING ONE UP!
Rancho Murrietta 2 Twahtt

Ventura, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Hola Almoranas,
Que classe cabrones?
God wants us all to speak the same damn language, that language is the language of the bible, not the stuff you read in the booking center walls or the toilet stalls but good old english. We got to support the teeparty and the end of all free stuff for everybody what aint got it right, don't act right and smell bad and don't talk like the bible say and what lays down with weird stuff and gets up repentant as that is too late. All emergency rooms must stay open late for conversions and repairs but at cost to thers. Now the folks are equal what is the same, say God, but the folks what are not going along and doing what they sis told are NOT equal. Join the REICHSPUBLIKANS, the Teeaparty is your friend if you are not one of THEM or otherwise different.
Barred outs

Monrovia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

13 states rebelling against Obamacare?

Can anyone name them?

Just a bunch of Yellow Bellied Rebel states anyway.
Just Wondering

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Test
WhoDoneIts

Monrovia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

Much of the missing water can be attributed to old inaccurate meters, and leakage but an element of the missing water is thought to be theft by persons who are accessing water from public hydrants throughout the city for construction or agricultural purposes.

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Just Wondering wrote:
Test
Fail
No guest

Monrovia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

No one wants to guess who you are anymore.
Harry Butt

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

But just in case, who are you?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Berkeley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 59 min Aryan Barbarian 18,825
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 3 hr Pea solved 200,564
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 10 hr Donny B 7,922
Doctor heads to court after online sex sting (Nov '06) 10 hr Smash yo Shades 16,908
Man critically injured in Santa Cruz hit-and-run 20 hr Anon 4
OP-ED: Immigration, Racism and the Future of Oa... Tue Davis Carney 2
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Tue matches lighters 15,961
•••

Berkeley News Video

•••
•••

Berkeley Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Berkeley People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••