UC Berkeley students were arrested fo...

UC Berkeley students were arrested for picketing in 1936

There are 1 comment on the Contra Costa Times story from Sep 8, 2011, titled UC Berkeley students were arrested for picketing in 1936. In it, Contra Costa Times reports that:

Seventy-five years ago , 11 University of California students were arrested for violating the municipal anti-picketing ordinance, the Berkeley Daily Gazette reported on Sept.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Contra Costa Times.

Walnut Creek, CA

#1 Sep 9, 2011
Nobodyís perfect, but some higher education chancellors are much less perfect as stewards of funds than others. University of California Berkeley Chancellor Birgeneau ($500,000 salary) has forgotten he is a steward of the public money, not overseer of his own fiefdom.
Trust the evidence
Tuition, increases exceed national average rate of increase
Recruits (using California tax $) out of state, foreign $50,600 students who displace qualified sons, daughters of Californians.
Spends $7,000,000 + for consultants to do his & vice chancellors work
(Prominent East Coast University accomplishing same 0 cost).
University accrues $150 million of inefficiencies over his 8 year reign.
Pays: ex Michigan governor $300,000 for lectures.
In procuring $3,000,000 consultants failed to receive proposals from other firms.
Latino enrollment drops out of state jump 2010(M Krupnick Contra Costa Times)
Best in nation rank:# 70 Forbes
Academic rank: QS academic falls below top ten.
Tuition to Return on Investment drops below top 10.
Cal now most expensive USA public university
NCAA: absence senior management oversight, basketball program on probation.

These are not isolated examples: itís all shameful. There is no justification for such irregularities by a steward of the public trust. Absolutely none.

Birgeneauís spend thrift practices will not change. University of California Board of Regents Chair Sherry Lansing must vigorously enforce financial oversight of Birgeneau. Only then will confidence of Alumni, donors, legislators, Californians improve.

(My agenda is transparency. I have 35 yearsí consulting experience; have taught at UC Berkeley, where I observed the culture & the way senior management works. No, I was not fired or downsized & have not solicited contracts from UC/Cal).

Yours is the opinion that can make the difference, email UC Board of Regents marsha.kelman@ucop.edu

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Berkeley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump Bee Owe AWFUL 12 hr Hillary Fell Down... 3
Mayor a rat 12 hr Juan Feuentez 6
if you ever grow up in KALIFORNIA 12 hr Curly Howard 2
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 17 hr Tyrone Abdul Carp 21,489
News Al Gore: "I Could Become Catholic Because of Th... (May '15) 20 hr Retard a CON 61
News Doctor heads to court after online sex sting (Nov '06) 23 hr Carnac The Magnif... 17,968
News Queerness and weirdness Sun arbitration scams 3

Berkeley Jobs

Personal Finance

Berkeley Mortgages