Protest over UC cuts draws several hundred at UC Santa Cruz

Several hundred students and faculty rallied Thursday with other employees on the first day of classes at UC Santa Cruz in a walkout and strike that a labor historian described as a turning point in growing opposition to the university's administration. Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Corralitos Taxpayer

Watsonville, CA

#85 Sep 25, 2009
baby boomers: the worst generation..

Hey quit using the Internet that the baby boomer generation invented. What great wonders has your generation brought about?
Doncula

Stanford, CA

#89 Sep 26, 2009
Dude, photo 3 is the entrance to bathrooms - c'mon Sentinel... Foolish kids...
Santa Cruzan

Santa Cruz, CA

#90 Sep 26, 2009
UC system is pricing themselves right out of studens. It is very sad when a state school is too pricy for our own California students to attend.

My grandson wants to attend UCSC but it is almost cheaper for him to attend school in another state.

Too bad.
future leaders

Santa Cruz, CA

#91 Sep 26, 2009
pat wrote:
<quoted text>
its so true. these baby boomers who had heavily subsidized educations paid for by the older generation now discovered conservatism and dont want to do the same because they are "self made" individuals. it is that typical "i dont care, i graduated" attitude.
go to he!!, you are clueless
u need help

Santa Cruz, CA

#92 Sep 26, 2009
pat wrote:
<quoted text>
its so true. these baby boomers who had heavily subsidized educations paid for by the older generation now discovered conservatism and dont want to do the same because they are "self made" individuals. it is that typical "i dont care, i graduated" attitude.
What a moronic statement, look at your generation, what have you all done that's so special...except for the kids in the military you are a worthless generation, baseball hats worn backwards and pants worn down below your rear end...not to mention all the ink, oh excuse me that's called body art.
Dan

San Jose, CA

#93 Sep 26, 2009
pat wrote:
<quoted text>
Another loser that wants to blame their failure on the previous generation.
Whassup

Santa Cruz, CA

#94 Sep 28, 2009
You know, the whole occupation of the graduate student commons by anonymous masked 'students' is probably an engineered PR stunt run by the University in order to discredit the legitimate protest against University policy by students and staff and members of the local community. The real issues, which the 'occupiers' pointedly avoid discussing, are as follows:

1) Corporatization and privatization of the university.

2) Union-busting and subpar wages for all university employees except crony administrators.

3) Indifference to the quality of undergraduate education.

4) Rigged student loan deals that may be directed to UC Regent-linked banking interests.

Instead of discussing such issues, the frauds who took over the graduate student commons have been putting out drivel like this:

"Graduate school is simply the faded remnant of a feudal system... We end up interpreting Marx's 11th thesis... beneathe every frustated leftist academic is a latent radical... We must begin by preventing the university from functioning... blah blah blah"

It's a Communist manifesto, in fact, almost identical to material produced during the Cold War by Soviet propagandists - and here it is, the central theme of the strategic deception operation being run by the university with the aid of a bunch of masked wankers, who are doing all they can to draw attention away from the real issue.

Slimy, isn't it? That's this administration for you - as slimy as they come. Kliger and Blumenthal and the UC Regents need to be forced out and replaced with people who put basic research and public education ahead of corporate greed - and it doesn't really matter if they're baby boomers or not, as long as they are honest and give a damn about basic science and education.
Dave

Santa Cruz, CA

#95 Sep 29, 2009
future leaders wrote:
Dave wrote: we wage wars, while our 1st world competitors are investing in education, infrastructure and manufacturing.... now we're broke ... trillions in the red and no way out.
And let's not forget all the energy (fossil fuels) that they are developing to run the manufacturing...but oh no, not us, we're going to run this great country on wind and solar...give us a break and start drilling America!
actually the French & Germans use a great deal of Nuclear I believe...
Dave

Santa Cruz, CA

#96 Sep 29, 2009
Santa Cruz resident wrote:
Proposition 13 and two unjustified wars are a big cause of this.
I have owned a home in Santa Cruz county since before the earthquake of 1989; I get a wonderful Prop 13 tax benefit. In other words, I'm not being taxed enough - yes, you read me right; Prop 13 is letting me shift the cost of the University onto the backs of students.
Of course, Prop 13 also shifts the tax burden off of corporations who own property for much longer than living breathing people do.
We could fix much of these problems by fixing Proposition 13 - at a start we could remove corporations from its coverage.
And if we were to end our two wars we'd have more money to help.
(And perhaps we ought to bail-out the university rather than Goldman Sachs and Chrysler.)
But with all of that said - I work with the university and see that their administration is filled with useless procedures. I have to moderate the union's complaints by my perception that university is overloaded with too many people occupying useless bureaucratic positions.
yes, the amount or rate of tax should be fixed with THE property .. not variable with when the property was bought or sold ... current system is nonesense.
jeff bason

Santa Cruz, CA

#97 Dec 8, 2011
jeff bason wrote:
typical college students...they all want it all...and none of them want to pay for it or work for it...this state is broke...and college education is not a right...it is a priviledge...Ill admit when i was in college I was a bleeding heart liberal like these students...then I graduated , started working in the real world, and figured out how the world really works. If someone would get serious about the budgetary woes in this state we might have a chance at solving them. Get rid of labor unions , get rid of all social services to illegal aliens , icluding in state tuition , and cut off ALL SOCIAL WELFARE to people in this country and state illegally.....that will save you at least 10 billion in the state , and give us a place to work from. If that s not possible....go to Cabrillo
I did not write this comment, i have been hacked by roommate

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Berkeley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New list puts Vallejo among the statea s most d... 2 hr Doi 2
Berkeley protesters smash windows; 2 officers hurt 10 hr Jamel Rashid Stei... 10
joshua wilkes 10 hr Say What 2
4 arrested in sting at alleged Emeryville brothel 14 hr no usename 1
We'll Find Alien Life in This Lifetime, Scienti... (May '14) 15 hr One Question 18
Columbus Day & the politics of white Indians Dec 15 Master of Roissy 2
Damning Report Claims Mexican Federal Police Pa... Dec 15 Concerned 3

Berkeley News Video

Berkeley Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Berkeley People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Berkeley News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Berkeley

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]