Oakland Tribune editorial: UC needs dose of reality about holding the line on rising costs

Sep 26, 2011 Full story: Contra Costa Times

University of California Berkeley students occupy Tolman Hall at the University of California Berkeley campus on Thursday, Sept.

Full Story
Moravecglobal

Pleasant Hill, CA

#1 Sep 26, 2011
University of California Berkeley Chancellor Robert J Birgeneau ($500,000 salary), displaces qualified for public university education at Cal. Californians with $50,600 FOREIGN students.

Ranked # 70 by Forbes, the University of California Berkeley is not increasing enrollment.$50,600 FOREIGN students are accepted by Birgeneau at the expense of qualified instate students.

UC Regent Chairwoman Lansing and President Yudof agree discriminating against instate Californians

Your opinion makes a difference; email UC Board of Regents marsha.kelman@ucop.edu
Ronald

Westminster, CA

#2 Sep 26, 2011
The damage the taxpayer funded university system has done to California goes far beyond the apparent costs of the expensive taxpayer funded university system itself. Many of the failed 60s 70s era "California dreamin'" social and economic program theories were cooked up by the radical activists who had seized control following the revolution. Their failed ideas, in turn, were implemented by indoctrinated taxpayer subsidized graduates who came out of radical universities such as Berkeley and Long Beach State. These individuals assumed positions in all levels of the failed State Government apparatus.

The State's overburdened taxpaying minority can no longer afford to maintain this expensive monument to better days. The taxpaying minority cannot support both the gigantic California welfare State whose ideas were championed by the university system and the wastefully expensive taxpayer funded university system itself. One or the other has to go. Is it too "radical" an idea to believe the radical California university system should be shut down entirely?

Ronald
Moravecglobal

Pleasant Hill, CA

#3 Sep 27, 2011
I love the University of California (UC) having been a student and lecturer. But today I am concerned that at times I do not recognize the UC I love. Like so many I am deeply disappointed by the pervasive failures of Regent Chairwoman Lansing, President Yudof and the ten campus Chancellors from holding the line on rising costs.
Californians are reeling from19% unemployment (includes those forced to work part time, and those no longer searching), mortgage defaults, loss of unemployment benefits. And those who still have jobs are working longer for less. Faculty wages must reflect California's ability to pay, not what others are paid.
Pay increases for generously paid Faculty is arrogance.
UC Berkeley (ranked # 70 Forbes) tuition increases exceed the national average rate of increases. Chancellor Birgeneau has molded Cal. into the most expensive American public university.
President Yudof and Chancellor Birgeneau have dismissed many much needed cost-cutting options. They did not consider freezing vacant faculty positions, increasing class size, requiring faculty to teach more classes, doubling the time between sabbaticals, cutting and freezing pay and benefits for all chancellors and and reforming the pension system.
They said faculty such reforms “would not be healthy for University of California”.
We agree it is far from the ideal situation, but it is in the best interests of the university system and the state to hold the line on cost increases. UC cannot expect to do business as usual: raising tuition; granting pay raises and huge bonuses during a weak economy that has sapped state revenues and individual Californians’ income.
There is no question the necessary realignments with economic reality are painful. Regent Chairwoman Lansing can bridge the public trust gap with reassurances that salaries and costs reflect California’s economic reality. The sky above UC will not fall

Opinions? Email the UC Board of Regents marsha.kelman@ucop.edu

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Berkeley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Boy, 14, shot dead in Oakland's Fruitvale 6 hr Roy 3
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 17 hr Namu Myoho Renge Kyo 19,633
Doctor heads to court after online sex sting (Nov '06) Sun CharlesWoodworth 16,993
Great Police Chief in Richmond Sun A Thought 4
Citywise: Grand jury reviewing Oakland garbage ... Sat lmao 1
Oakland: Man slain in Fruitvale shooting identi... (Jan '14) Sat lmao 3
Man gets long prison term for shooting Oakland ... Sat Gotcha 2

Berkeley News Video

Berkeley Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Berkeley People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:02 pm PST

Bleacher Report 9:02PM
Potential Replacements for Stevie Johnson for 49ers
Bleacher Report10:46 PM
How Should 49ers Fill Their Biggest Holes?
Bleacher Report10:11 AM
WR 'Difference Makers' 49ers Can Add in 2015
Bleacher Report12:06 PM
Buzz: OAK Won't 'Overspend' in Free Agency, Saving for Carr
Bleacher Report 1:54 PM
49ers' Blueprint for Winning Free Agency