Double Stars Succumb to Fatal Attraction

Sep 25, 2012 Full story: Scientific American

Many single stars may have been born as two separate suns, which merged into one during the first million years of their life.

Read more

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

formerly Nuneaton

#1 Sep 26, 2012
Scenario of sun forming as a merger of a close binary red dwarf is in fact quite possible.

It would have to form in plane with the outer solar system with as a result tidal interactions between the merging binary & Jupiter bumping it & the other outer planets in the disc outward sweeping up the dust in the disc as they go.

Neptune in this scenario being the 1st outer large planet to contact the outer disc ends up oversize as a result of being remarkably well fed while gravitational interasctions from near misses continue to circularise the orbits maintaining the outer planets in tidal resonance spacing.

Merger in this case qould be via a W Uma binary followed by a "Peanut binary" with the 2 stars in contact, finally followed by a merger with a strong T Tauri stage while the rapidly rotating solar mass star wound down.

The inner planets would have likely also have been formed & kept in tidal resonance positions during the initial merger, with in this case the bulk raw material being dust & palnetismals kicked into inner jupiter orbit via tidal interactions during the drift stage. the bulk of orbits would have been as elliptical as Mercury, and the drift effect would continue to put large objects on collision course resulting in debris rings which would circularise the orbits of big objects sweeping up debris.

The dust would only clear turing the T Tauri stage, and with a "Peanut binary" merger, there would also be no collision based "red nova".

Have a nice day: Ag

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Berkeley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Sun Save you lives 19,719
Covenant worship center is in danger Sat Discussed 1
Do you travel to Oakland after dark? Fri OMF 4
News Doctor heads to court after online sex sting (Nov '06) Fri Psycho Bob 17,003
Contract work (May '07) Mar 27 bela 5,077
Richmond and Louie Lujan take a new approach to... Mar 27 Regal Begal 1
News Half of U.S. now living with anti-smoking laws (Jan '07) Mar 26 Schmones 6
Berkeley Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Berkeley People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]