Ohio Amish leader: Beard-cutting reli...

Ohio Amish leader: Beard-cutting religious matter

There are 8 comments on the The State story from Oct 10, 2011, titled Ohio Amish leader: Beard-cutting religious matter. In it, The State reports that:

The leader of an Amish group with members accused of going into the home of another Amish man and cutting his hair and beard said Monday it's a religious matter and police shouldn't be involved.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The State.

Joyce

Carroll, OH

#1 Oct 11, 2011
I Pray the English people leave the Amish people alone to handle their laws their way. We English
settle ours with guns and knives.Now who's more civil?? They judge the guilty and their punishment
is different then ours. The worst crime is handled
by cutting off the hair of the offender.That is the
to show they have been found guilty and put to shame.
BROTHER BOB

Canton, OH

#2 Oct 11, 2011
Sorry but these bearded folk are subject to the same laws as the rest of us "English"

An assault is an assault. If they don't like our laws they can go back to Europe and see how they like it there.
Stephen H House

Hilliard, OH

#3 Oct 14, 2011
Home invasion,assault,trespassing.. .is still a crime whether you are English or Amish regardless of the reason that it is done...shunning is so much easier and perfectly acceptable.Why were these individuals not shunned? So much easier and fewer legal ramifications.
Stephen H House

Hilliard, OH

#4 Oct 14, 2011
Too bad the judge in this case can`t order the beards of the Amish Mafia to be cut...might infringe upon thier religious freedom and result in a federal case...just thinking out loud.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#5 Nov 5, 2011
Where does it say that a Christian should wear a beard? That was part the Mosaic Law requirements for the nation of Israel. The Nation of Israel, from a Christian standpoint, was replaced by a spiritual Israel which is not under law which requiring wearing a beard. The Apostle Paul said that if one insists on following one part of the law then one must follow the whole law. These are basic Biblical teachings. So if they donít follow them it is because they are misled and in ignorance of basics.

Which explains the reason for all the rest of their weird conduct such as trying not to use certain machines because it's sinful while happily using others.
Joseph

Norwich, VT

#6 Nov 6, 2011
All the notable people of both Old and New Testaments had beards. It may not be a requirement either way neither is it a problem. The Amish have those funny beards without mustaches, as well as many other traditions. I guess they chose here to not practice Christ's teaching about turning the other cheek. Frankly many of their teachings are just based on tradition not on a Bible verse. And they do not follow many of the laws of the land like social security.
It looks like here the young men were retaliating for abusive rhetoric against them. My guess is that the young men did something of a "carnal" or "sexual" nature that was cause of censure by the other Amish group, which for them is everything. You could be a corrupt or greedy businessman as an Amish, have all kinds of unreported cash, untaxed income, and be accepted by the group just as long as you are "sexually" righteous.
There is quite a bit of Pharisaical conduct by these people, and like Jesus warned they nullify the the core of the gospel by their tradition.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#7 Nov 6, 2011
Wearing a beard is only a problem if you feel that God requires it and that those who don't wear one are in some type of violation of scripture.
Then those in violation will be seen as being spiritually lesser than the bearded if not on a conscious then on a subconscious level.

The same applies to the refusal to use certain machines. Someone can drive Amish to the market but they themselves won't drive in order to avoid sinning. That's the way they get around the transportation problem where I live. Let the heathen do the sinning while benefiting is encouraging what they consider to be sinful activity which goes against loving neighbor as self.

But of course if they took it to that logical and honest conclusion then they couldn't get to the market to work or else had to use a bicycle, or a horse and buggy which are tiresome and very slow. So for the sake of expediency they will pay you to "sin" to take them there.
Joseph

Chestnut Hill, MA

#8 Nov 6, 2011
When conduct is preferential and not a violation of moral or civil laws I don't have a problem with it. Yes, they sometimes do end runs around practical solutions to problems because of their beliefs and traditions.

Generally I see nothing but "positive" comments about Amish and Mennonite people. The reality is that there is another side to them and issues surrounding them, like all of us, frankly. They tend to avoid attention from the "world" for various reasons. But if they are going to follow Christ's literal teachings they will be tested. It seems they are claiming they are being terrorized by the current issue. That is rather ridiculous and shows that when push comes to shove, they will not follow non resistance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bergholz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Carrollton Free Press Standard Letters to the E... (Aug '13) Jul '17 Sam Mullet s Beard 20
amish law (Nov '11) Jul '17 Sam Mullet 3
News Young boy hospitalized following lawn mower acc... (Sep '16) Sep '16 Kittycoe5 1
News Carrollton Free Press Standard News | Trains to... (Feb '15) Feb '15 S Vahalik 1
News Effort underway to preserve Morgan's Civil War ... (Feb '15) Feb '15 Iwantmycountryback 5
News Carrollton Free Press Standard News | Saluting ... (Nov '14) Nov '14 fredp694 1
football 1970 (Aug '14) Aug '14 john arnette 1

Bergholz Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bergholz Mortgages