COYOTE'S in WESTLAKE - My Dog has been attacked 2 times. Be Diligent

Posted in the Berea Forum

plw

Cleveland, OH

#1 Aug 11, 2013
I was looking for Coyote info in western cuyohoga county and found topix AVON discussion, where I posted the thread below. Thought I'd start a Westlake thread regarding these coyote encounters.

live in Westlake on Hilliard Blvd. East of Clague. Close to Rocky River Border. I have a Jack Russell who has been attacked twice in my backyard by coyotes. I was lucky enough to see one when I first moved in December 2012, so never am very far away from my dog when I let him out.
The first occassion, I had let him out about 11pm. Had flood lights on across entire back of house. My dog took off toward back of my lot. I thought initially he was chasing a deer until I heard him yelp. I also keep a high pitched whistle and a high powered flashlight at the back door and it was a good thing. I quickly turned on the flashlight and saw 2 coyotes chasing my dog. I yelled for him to come and the flashlight stopped them as well as my voice.
The second incident was just this past week in August 2013. I was sitting on my patio with all my lights on again doing some evening reading. My fire pit was going, music on. I was armed with my aresenal mentioned above. And continually scanned the back of my lot which backs up to woods with the flashlight. I saw nothing. I turned my back for one minute to gather up my reading materials phone and water bottle. My dog left the patio. In just that second a coyote came out from the woods behind and got a light nip on my jack's back. He's okay, but I have to say, 2 times in 3 months is a little much. Remain very diligent. They are here, all around us. Now I won't let my dog out in the back unless I'm armed with bear spray and he's on a leash. They are getting bold. Again, remain diligent.

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#2 Aug 11, 2013
I posted the above post under plw. Just one added note. Before I moved to Hilliard I lived off of Crocker Road close to Center Ridge. My neighbors and I heard them often and I saw 2 coyotes there also within the past year.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Berea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Animal Planet Investigates Petland (May '10) Apr 20 AliceClare59 33
News William W. Stawicki Mar 28 DBozzie 1
Poll Mystic Creek Apartments, good or bad? (May '08) Mar '15 CryingDolphin 15
News Second Strongsville Teacher is Arrested, Charged (Mar '13) Mar '15 Brian King nimby 6
Cowardly Thomas Truelson (Mar '13) Mar '15 Secrets 3
News Video of Substitute Teacher is Making Waves in ... (Apr '13) Mar '15 King Victim Too 4
Review: Patient First - John Kavlich MD (May '09) Mar '15 anon worker 58
More from around the web

Berea People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]