Going to Berea College?

Posted in the Berea Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Anon

Jersey City, NJ

#1 May 23, 2010
I'm still deciding on whether or not to enroll (I know the date has passed, but I was given a few more weeks since I was accepted late). I'm a city girl (as in, I live a few minutes away from NYC), and don't know much about the rural area. Have visited recently, and it seems like a nice place. Any information about the college, especially the quality of education there, would be greatly appreciated.
Mad Hatter

Richmond, KY

#2 May 24, 2010
Its a good liberal college. I have had several friends graduate from there and all have good paying jobs now. What are you wanting to major in?
pendergast

Winchester, KY

#3 May 24, 2010
the main advantage is you're not going to have to pay tuition. that's a rather strong advantage. bc is a decent small liberal arts college. there will be next to nothing to do, however, evenings and weekends, in berea. other than that, it offers the benefits and deficiences of any liberal arts college. advantage -- small classes and lots of individual attention. disadvantage -- small number of faculty means you won't get much diversity of opinion. depending on your major, you may take the majority of your classes from only one or two professors, so you'll tend to get a rather narrow, sometimes one-sided view of that area of study.
Anon

Bear, DE

#4 May 24, 2010
I would probably major in Biology. I am planning on going on to medical school, so does anybody know the percentage of Berea graduates who continue on to grad school? Also, thank you guys for taking the time to answer!
puppyperson

Chesterfield, MO

#5 May 24, 2010
Berea is a great school, If you really want a good education.My family member that graduated B.C will have their doctorate soon. Also knew one guy that graduated a year after he did is a M.D. Berea has the reputation to help you get into a good grad school,and also to get a good job.
Wishing you the best.
Mad Hatter

Richmond, KY

#6 May 24, 2010
I have a couple friends who graduated from their nursing programs and have good jobs now.
IcU

United States

#7 May 24, 2010
Berea College is unique and the education you can receive is top-notch. Berea has and will continue to produce students who have the work ethic as well as the educational background to procede and excell at the next level - no matter what field you choose. You do have the requirement to work in the labor program 10 hours a week and attend "Convocations" (like 8 a semester) but that is a good thing actually as you will see. It provides opportunities to experience allabove what you get at Berea. The professors are actually numerous. I seldonm took the same one twice in any content area. The downside - the town is small - real small. Craft capital of the world! Ther are no malls, movies, or anything the big city would have to offer. There is Lexington up I-75 about 40 miles north that could provide that. Berea is a rural town and that should say a lot. It was founded on religious beliefs and that all people of all backgrounds were entitled to a quality education regardless of their ability to pay. Berea College - about the best education money can't buy. You have to be selected and only like 10% are accepted from outside the Apppalachian region so if you have been accepted, your are lucky. Thre are never more than 1500 students at all times and incoming freshmen enrollment is based on available spaces. Take this opportunity and run with it - you have this with Berea College - research it and see for yourself!
pendergast

Winchester, KY

#8 May 25, 2010
Anon wrote:
I would probably major in Biology. I am planning on going on to medical school, so does anybody know the percentage of Berea graduates who continue on to grad school? Also, thank you guys for taking the time to answer!
i have no idea what that percentage would be, but if i were advising someone desiring to go to med school, i'd advise against berea (or any small liberal arts college) in favor of a school with an actual pre-med program. this is not to say of course you can't get into med school by going to a liberal arts institution, some people do, but i'd think you'd be better served attending an institution that specifically prepares students for the medical field. bc's biology department is not top notch compared to one at a decent research university, particularly in terms of labs and equipment.
pendergast

Winchester, KY

#9 May 25, 2010
the 10% acceptance rate at bc is a bit disingenuous. it is primarily because of the family income requirement that so few applicants meet the criteria, not academics. i'm not wanting to seem like i'm dissing bc, but i think you should have as unbiased a view of the college as we can give (bc has, to its credit, many enthusiastic alums). at one period, bc had a lower acceptance rate than harvard, yale, or stanford, but again this was due to the financial conditions applicants must meet, not an indication it is an elite institution.
Bob Barker

Lexington, KY

#10 May 25, 2010
I didn't attend, but I have noticed that Berea College has one of the best networks for students and alumni/ae of any college I've seen.(Ivy League included)

Networks are a HUGE resource for job hunting and graduate school contacts. The opportunities available to the students are also outstanding-I went to University of Kentucky and I was jealous.

I am from the other major sports city in the Northeast and I can tell you, the downside (and for a city girl it's a HUGE downside) is a complete lack of diversity. Be prepared to miss ethnic food, good pizza, night life, entertainment options, limited shopping options, etc, etc, etc that you have access to being near a big city. A big night out might be a trip to Wal-Mart. No joking.

This isn't a bad thing, it's just a complete cultural change from what you are used to. It takes A LOT of getting used to.

The trade off is a great education with unparallaled (sp?) opportunities and the chance to make lifelong friends with other students for four years of VERY quiet living.

In my opinion, you couldn't do better than Berea College. Just be prepared for the culture shock-and make sure you get a regular care package from home!

Best of luck!

Please remember to spay and neuter your pets...
musicologist

Lexington, KY

#11 May 25, 2010
pendergast wrote:
the main advantage is you're not going to have to pay tuition. that's a rather strong advantage. bc is a decent small liberal arts college. there will be next to nothing to do, however, evenings and weekends, in berea. other than that, it offers the benefits and deficiences of any liberal arts college. advantage -- small classes and lots of individual attention. disadvantage -- small number of faculty means you won't get much diversity of opinion. depending on your major, you may take the majority of your classes from only one or two professors, so you'll tend to get a rather narrow, sometimes one-sided view of that area of study.
You refer to BC as "a decent small liberal arts college". Berea has been ranked [along with Centre College] as one of the top colleges in the nation for more years than I can remember. That's not "decent", that's excellent. I'm a grad of Vanderbilt University, my wife is a Berea alum, and I feel she got the better end of the deal.
LynnBo

Berea, KY

#12 May 26, 2010
Pendergrast, I don't know where you're getting your information about Berea's science department, but you have some misconceptions about it. The science department has excellent labs and is always winning grants for research. The science students have been interns in some of the best research facilities in the nation. Nearly every student who applies to medical school gets accepted. A friend of mine wanted to go to Vandy's pharmacy school but was afraid he did not have a high enough GPA. When he talked to an admission counselor, my friend was assured that his GPA was more than acceptable because a "B" at Berea was like an "A" nearly everywhere else. My friend was accepted and graduated with honors in his pharmacy major. Please don't sell Berea short because it is small, as musicologist wrote, it is always highly ranked in a poll whose participants are primarily college presidents throughout the U.S. If the college presidents give Berea a high ranking, doesn't it make sense that Berea graduates would get serious consideration for admission to those schools?
pendergast

Winchester, KY

#13 May 26, 2010
berea college's high ranking in the polls is for it's "value," i.e. the quality of education compared to the tuition. given that bc has no tuition, it's value as measured by this metric is of course quite high. bc is a decent small liberal arts college, there's nothing wrong with that, but compared to many institutions -- earlham, kenyon, carleton, middlebury, wellesley, etc.-- it would hardly be ranked excellent on anything other than value. what can't be denied though is bc is without doubt the best college in southern madison county.
btw vanderbilt doesn't have a pharmacy school. they have a post-doc program in pharmacy informatics, but not an actual school of pharmacy. perhaps your friend was accepted at belmont, which is also in nashville and uses vandy's medical center for training.
pendergast

Winchester, KY

#14 May 26, 2010
just to make sure i wasn't being too harsh (i.e. realistic) i checked the 2010 rankings of liberal arts colleges, by u.s. news. centre ranks 46th nationally (i.e. only 45 schools ranked higher). transy ranks 85th nationally. bc is considered a tier 3 school, meaning it is ranked somewhere in the 51st - 75th percentile (not overall rank, but percentile). this means it is considered better than half the other schools, but not as good as a quarter of the other schools. in other words, about average, a solid "C".
Hop Sing

Nicholasville, KY

#15 May 26, 2010
Not a fan of the college but I can assure you of one thing. They have one of the best Nursing programs to be found. It's tough as nails but if you mske it through, you are good for a life long career.

As for the town itself, for the time I've been here, I like it quiet well. Berea is a bedroom community for Richmond and Lexington and even Frankfort. Dining choices are typical for a small town. The chains and three or four locally owned
establishments. Plenty of choices for church but no entertainment choices. The nightlife ends at dusk.(about 9:30PM in the summer and 6:00PM in the winter.
LynnBo

Berea, KY

#16 May 26, 2010
pendergast wrote:
btw vanderbilt doesn't have a pharmacy school. they have a post-doc program in pharmacy informatics, but not an actual school of pharmacy. perhaps your friend was accepted at belmont, which is also in nashville and uses vandy's medical center for training.
Pendergast, I am really not familiar with Vandy's degree offerings nor its colleges as I am not the one who went there. But I can assure you that my friend did go to Vanderbilt (NOT Belmont) after graduating from Berea and he became a pharmacist.
pendergast

Winchester, KY

#17 May 27, 2010
well lynnbo if they did become a pharmacist, which i'm not doubting, they got their pharmacy degree somewhere other than vandy.
Bob Barker

Lexington, KY

#18 May 27, 2010
pendergast wrote:
well lynnbo if they did become a pharmacist, which i'm not doubting, they got their pharmacy degree somewhere other than vandy.
No offense, prendergast, but I think Lynnbo would know her friend and what he does better than you do.

You are correct about Vandy's program, but often students of pharmacology take the licensing exam and become pharmacists.

"Pharmacologists can work toward a lifelong career as an analyst, research scientists or even pursue teaching. Interdisciplinary programs in the field of pharmacology may include cellular and molecular pharmacology, physiology, molecular biology and biomedical engineering. Some pharmacology school students choose to pursue a career as a pharmacist."

So, agree to disagree with the woman and play nice, ok?

Folks, please don't forget to spay and/or neuter your pets.
BC Student

Nicholasville, KY

#19 May 27, 2010
I attend Berea College as a senior elementary education major. If you are truly interested http://www.berea.edu/prospectivestudents/ will give you a lot of valuable information. Don't hesitate to contact the college, everyone here is extremely helpful. I love being at Berea and I am very thankful to be there. The education is top notch, the professors are more than willing to help out and the community is very accepting of the students. Like mentioned above it is a small town and the city life is in Richmond and Lexington. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.
Ajobo

Berea, KY

#20 May 28, 2010
I don't mean to knock Berea College "tution-free" proclamation, but if you qualify for financial aid at Berea, you probably do anywhere else as well.

You're not completely "tuition-free", as there are costs, and you will work in the labor program for it.

There are other reputable colleges/universities out there where you can go "tuition-free" too through grants...that you don't have to pay back. And at a lot of those places you may even receive "more" in grants than the tuition costs, and can receive the "extra" as a form of residual that YOU get to keep. You can then work off-campus (discouraged at Berea) and keep all your pay. Thrugh Berea College's work-study program, you only get to keep 1/3. The school gets the rest.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Berea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anyone got any bud? 1 hr Get a life 45
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr Mickey402 149,694
Mark Hawley (Nov '11) 12 hr Lmaoudummy 8
What Berea used to be like..... (Oct '10) 13 hr Steve Connely 265
Looking for Home 16 hr Home Again 1
What do I do? 21 hr Berea woman 18
stacy chasteen? (May '09) 21 hr Common sense 47

Berea Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Berea Mortgages