Chaotika

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2010

http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/local/Firefigh...
I have never heard of anything so retarded in my life. The firefighters actually watch as this man's house burns down. Whatever happened to "volunteer" firemen? How could anyone with a heart sit and watch someone's home burn and do nothing? This sort of thing pisses me off so bad, and it's not the first time it's happened in this county.
crazy

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2010

Chaotika wrote:
http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news /local/Firefighters-watch-as-h ome-burns-to-the-ground-104052 668.html
I have never heard of anything so retarded in my life. The firefighters actually watch as this man's house burns down. Whatever happened to "volunteer" firemen? How could anyone with a heart sit and watch someone's home burn and do nothing? This sort of thing pisses me off so bad, and it's not the first time it's happened in this county.
Insane!! How much would they have let burn if no one in that area had paid the fee? Who came up with that stupid idea anyway? I'm sorry, but if I was a trained fire fighter, I couldn't just sit there and watch someone house burn down. Also, I can't help but wonder if the fee hadn't been paid, would they rescue any one trapped inside?
Dave

Newport Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2010

They let 3 dogs and a cat die inside.
Renter

Duluth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2010

Does this town not collect taxes to cover the cost of public service? Isn't that what taxes are for, to pay for things such as road repair, Police, and Fire Departments?
LauraSue

Ft Mitchell, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2010

It makes the US sound like a 3rd world country. Put the fire out and put a lien on home for the $75.00 and previous years but to sit by let 5 animals die and all of someones belongs burn as you sit in your fire truck. Sickens me. What a inhuman society we have become.
hehehehehe

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2010

I bet they wish they'd coughed up the $75 now!!
Strange

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2010

One time on a trip to another state I watched a house burn to the ground directly across the street from a city fire station. The fire station was in city limits, but across the street was considered unincorporated, and the city fireman said that it was out of their jurisdiction and was covered by the volunteer fire dept. The volunteer fire department was located on the opposite side of town and by the time they arrived the house was completely engulfed in flames. Sad world aint it?
Red

Berea, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2010

What has become of America? Or is it just the south? This is the end of our civilization.
DCFN Scalf

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2010

All i gotta say about this is if this happoned IN BEREA or in the limit of BFD or the BVFR there is more to the story than is here. Y do i know this. I was a volinteer for the city of Berea for 3 yrs an that NEVER happoned. we only had 1 house burn to the ground because there ws NO WAY of saveing it. If 5 animals died in the fire SO THE FUC* WHAT! Be glad it was not a HUMAN LIFE! When we go to enter a burning house we make sure it is safe enough for us to go in so we DO NOT DIE! Berea does not have a charge for useing the Fire Dept. That is y the Vols have monthly fundraisers to support us! So git off my BROTHRS backs!i Left the FD to join the Military and I am a Navel Firefighter now.

THX,
J. Scalf, DCFN
Curtis

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2010

You're a NAVEL firefighter now?

I didn't know Navel Oranges caught on fire that much.
crazy

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2010

DCFN Scalf wrote:
All i gotta say about this is if this happoned IN BEREA or in the limit of BFD or the BVFR there is more to the story than is here. Y do i know this. I was a volinteer for the city of Berea for 3 yrs an that NEVER happoned. we only had 1 house burn to the ground because there ws NO WAY of saveing it. If 5 animals died in the fire SO THE FUC* WHAT! Be glad it was not a HUMAN LIFE! When we go to enter a burning house we make sure it is safe enough for us to go in so we DO NOT DIE! Berea does not have a charge for useing the Fire Dept. That is y the Vols have monthly fundraisers to support us! So git off my BROTHRS backs!i Left the FD to join the Military and I am a Navel Firefighter now.
THX,
J. Scalf, DCFN
We all hold the utmost respect for our firefighters! I don't believe anyone is blaming the ones that had to watch it burn to the ground, neither did the home owners. I was stating how it must have been difficult to watch and do nothing about it. It's the idea that such a law even exist, that's baffling to me.

Just a note: We are not talking about Berea. Did you watch the film?
nurse practitioner

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2010

DCFN Scalf wrote:
THX,
J. Scalf, DCFN
HI john , good to hear from you ,, check out Red lick Vol on face book. The burned house's home owner was in the county and paid no taxes to the city. The people in the city are protected due to the taxes they pay and the people they elected. The man in the county knew that he had no protection and decided not to pay the 75 dollars a year to protect his house. His insurance is higher because he is not within 5 miles of a fire station.
Why should the people of the city have to pay to put his house out. That man and and his neighbors have decided not to man or support a volunteer station, This is there choice, and have decided on lower taxes. The Volunteer stations in madison county only recieve $12,000 a year from the county to stay open , have no paid members, and must raise fund them selves.? have you that think the story is crazy ever donated to the the volunteers. I hope you have because they need it. If you drive in southern Madison county it will be the Berea volunteer rescue that pulls you out of your crashed car. I also ask you if you think that is crazy they let the house burn ARE YOU A VOLUNTEER IN THIS COUNTY?
Rest of the Story

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2010

Judged:

Our situation here in Madison County where both city and county residents PAY TAXES to fund a fire department is completely different. Some years ago I lived in a tiny little town here in Kentucky where the fiscal court couldn't (or wouldn't...doesn't matter) fund a county fire department.

The City residents paid taxes to support a fire department inside the city limits, but didn't think they should bear the burden for providing fire services for both themselves and their 'thrifty' country cousins.

They offered a similar 'subscription' fee for county residents. You pay it..the city rolls to your house with a fire truck...you don't pay it...the fire department brings marshmallows to roast at your house instead!

Keep in mind that if no one paid the $75 and the city government wouldn't fund a fire department, there wouldn't even be a fire truck to call in the first place!

If they allowed the guy to pay AFTER the fire broke out, then no one in the county would pay next year until their house caught fire. It's like calling your insurance agent AFTER your house catches fire...sucks to be you.

Hope the guy enjoyed the extra $75...bet a bunch of people around there found their wallets this morning! 8:)

Since: Dec 09

Pikeville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2010

Judged:

I think the solution here would have been to extinguish the fire, and then Bill the man for the entire cost of the Fire Department's rescue efforts.
jodi

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2010

Judged:

I'm in heathcare and when someone owes a previous bill I guess I am to watch them die? I took an oath .. If anyone believes this is rite.. just surrender urself to Islamics.. thats their beliefs.. and u need to love the Sharia law!
jodi

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2010

nurse practitioner wrote:
<quoted text>
HI john , good to hear from you ,, check out Red lick Vol on face book. The burned house's home owner was in the county and paid no taxes to the city. The people in the city are protected due to the taxes they pay and the people they elected. The man in the county knew that he had no protection and decided not to pay the 75 dollars a year to protect his house. His insurance is higher because he is not within 5 miles of a fire station.
Why should the people of the city have to pay to put his house out. That man and and his neighbors have decided not to man or support a volunteer station, This is there choice, and have decided on lower taxes. The Volunteer stations in madison county only recieve $12,000 a year from the county to stay open , have no paid members, and must raise fund them selves.? have you that think the story is crazy ever donated to the the volunteers. I hope you have because they need it. If you drive in southern Madison county it will be the Berea volunteer rescue that pulls you out of your crashed car. I also ask you if you think that is crazy they let the house burn ARE YOU A VOLUNTEER IN THIS COUNTY?
So you think money is more important? WTH.. What about the moral aspects.. the charitible Americans..? You must be a democrat.. for Obama ..lets just kill each other is his motto so Islam can have us.. duhhh ...and I guess the fire dept takes the time to look in their books whose paid up to date? This is unconstitutional..
jodi

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2010

DCFN Scalf wrote:
THX,
J. Scalf, DCFN
Many heroic firefighters have died to save a life.. You sound cowardly.. dont take the job if you have a fear for your life!
Curtis

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2010

Why ARRIVE at all then?

Just to watch the place burn? Geez!
Chaotika

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

There is funding that the county/city whatever could file for, so things like this don't happen. I understand being stretched thin, and not a lot of people volunteering etc., however, why the hell did they even show up if they weren't going to put out the fire? It's really ridiculous that we live in a society where this 75.00 policy is needed at all.

This was a man's home, where he slept, his family lived and they felt safe. When people elect officials for office, they expect them to do their job, and protect them, why else look for officials? Why not let the inmates run the asylum then?

There are many ways you can look at this story, and mainly I posted it to see what everyone thought, and read people's reactions. I respect everyone's opinion in this thread and I'm glad you took the time to click the link and respond. I for one, think stuff like this is bogus and doesn't need to happen.

Firefighters have a hard and dangerous job. And I am not blaming the firefighters themselves in this instance for standing there doing nothing.(Although I think they shouldn't have showed up to watch if they weren't going to act.) I blame the elected city officials who put this policy in place. What if that man was short on cash and broke and couldn't afford the 75 bucks before the deadline to pay? What if there were no late fees for those who didn't pay on time? This place looks like Podunk, USA. These people didn't look incredibly wealthy, and while some of you might not think 75 bucks is a lot, I know several people who work 40+ hours a week at factory jobs here in Berea, that have a hard time scraping together 75 bucks after all their "essential" bills are paid.

Things to think about.
crazy

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

Chaotika wrote:
There is funding that the county/city whatever could file for, so things like this don't happen. I understand being stretched thin, and not a lot of people volunteering etc., however, why the hell did they even show up if they weren't going to put out the fire? It's really ridiculous that we live in a society where this 75.00 policy is needed at all.
This was a man's home, where he slept, his family lived and they felt safe. When people elect officials for office, they expect them to do their job, and protect them, why else look for officials? Why not let the inmates run the asylum then?
There are many ways you can look at this story, and mainly I posted it to see what everyone thought, and read people's reactions. I respect everyone's opinion in this thread and I'm glad you took the time to click the link and respond. I for one, think stuff like this is bogus and doesn't need to happen.
Firefighters have a hard and dangerous job. And I am not blaming the firefighters themselves in this instance for standing there doing nothing.(Although I think they shouldn't have showed up to watch if they weren't going to act.) I blame the elected city officials who put this policy in place. What if that man was short on cash and broke and couldn't afford the 75 bucks before the deadline to pay? What if there were no late fees for those who didn't pay on time? This place looks like Podunk, USA. These people didn't look incredibly wealthy, and while some of you might not think 75 bucks is a lot, I know several people who work 40+ hours a week at factory jobs here in Berea, that have a hard time scraping together 75 bucks after all their "essential" bills are paid.
Things to think about.
The firefighters responded to another call, which was the field next door where the fire had spread. That property owner paid the fee. No one wants to believe their house will catch fire, flood etc.. so therefor, many won't insure their property for something that "might happen". With times as it is, it may very well be about what you can or cannot afford. Sadly enough in this case there is a greater loss than the fee. It's a shame.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

12 Users are viewing the Berea Forum right now

Search the Berea Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 15 min ChromiuMan 128,666
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 52 min gdave950 146,293
Need an amazing massage 6 hr New lady in town 1
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 6 hr Ashby 26,189
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 10 hr hollerrat 16,117
kevin davis 10 hr What Ever 2
Novelis (Jan '10) 22 hr Novelis Berea ky 26
•••
•••
•••
•••

Berea Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Berea People Search