One killed in crash between train and...

One killed in crash between train and truck

There are 29 comments on the Moved Permanently story from Aug 11, 2010, titled One killed in crash between train and truck. In it, Moved Permanently reports that:

Police say a woman has died in a crash involving a train and a truck. The crash happened around 11 Wednesday morning on Mayde Road in Berea.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Moved Permanently.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Peace

Dallas, GA

#1 Aug 11, 2010
Does anyone have any news about this?

“Sic friatur crustum dulce ”

Since: Apr 09

the real world.....

#2 Aug 11, 2010
from the newslink-
happened around 11 Wednesday morning on Mayde Road in Berea. That's in the Berea Industrial Park, not far from I-75 exit 77.

Police say the truck was hit by an oncoming 94 car train.

Police say the woman, who was the only person in the truck, was thrown from the vehicle and died at the scene.

Investigators are still trying to figure out why the truck crossed into the path of an oncoming train.

There are no crossing bars at the particular crossing where the crash happened.

The victim's name has not yet been released.
friend

Berea, KY

#3 Aug 11, 2010
heard it was some one from sherwin williams.. is all that i heard.. but that just what some one said..
Family of the one killed

Burkesville, KY

#4 Aug 11, 2010
For anyone that wants to know it was a member of my family. Her name is Hillary Hadley, she is from Columbia KY. She's around the age of 20. Please keep our family in your prayers.
citizen

Lexington, KY

#5 Aug 11, 2010
Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family
Wondering

Lexington, KY

#6 Aug 11, 2010
So sorry for your lose.
citizen

Lexington, KY

#7 Aug 11, 2010
It is a shame someone has to loose their life for someone to do something. This has been an on going problem and nothing has been done about it. How many more people are going to have to die?
Family of the one killed

Burkesville, KY

#8 Aug 11, 2010
Thank you so much for your thoughts & prayers. It's so hard to believe this. If there is any information about why there have been no railroad gates put up at this crossing, please email me anything. The email is [email protected] I am one of her 1st cousins, and any info would be greatly appreciated by me and the Hadley family.
Sympathy

United States

#9 Aug 11, 2010
I am so sorry for your loss.
citizen

Lexington, KY

#10 Aug 11, 2010
I don't know why they haven't done anything. My mother was almost hit there. The train is right on you before the light comes on. Sometimes the lights are on and theres no train coming.

I am sure someone at that factory saw something. Hope they come forward.
Sorry for your lost

United States

#11 Aug 11, 2010
If no lights you treat a railroad crossing as a FULL STOP, you look both ways and then you cross. People get into much of a hurry and if you not use to meeting a train then you forget about it, but if you make a habbit at stoping and looking both ways this can be avoided. Even with lights and crossing bars you still supposed to slow down and look both ways before crossing.
citizen

Lexington, KY

#12 Aug 11, 2010
Yes, I agree. I always stop. This is still a very dangerous place though.
Butterfly wings

Danville, KY

#13 Aug 11, 2010
This is so horrible! So sorry that such a young life was lost!
Donna

Berea, KY

#14 Aug 11, 2010
Family of the one killed wrote:
For anyone that wants to know it was a member of my family. Her name is Hillary Hadley, she is from Columbia KY. She's around the age of 20. Please keep our family in your prayers.
Our prayers & thoughts are with you and your family. So sorry to hear about your loss.
I know

Lexington, KY

#15 Aug 11, 2010
Sorry for your lost wrote:
If no lights you treat a railroad crossing as a FULL STOP, you look both ways and then you cross. People get into much of a hurry and if you not use to meeting a train then you forget about it, but if you make a habbit at stoping and looking both ways this can be avoided. Even with lights and crossing bars you still supposed to slow down and look both ways before crossing.
I hate to say this, but that is a "blind" rr crossing. Definitely treat it as a "FULL STOP"! The problem is, you have to pull up too close just to see if a train is coming or not before you cross.

There used to be an old wooden bridge there, before the factories came in. The state should have just repaired or replaced the bridge, and left it at that, if they couldn't put crossing arms up.
FYI

Berea, KY

#16 Aug 11, 2010
Actually at a railroad crossing you are not to stop you keep going incase your car quits you can make it on over. That is in the drivers manual! I also stop in that spot though. But if someone is not familiar w/ it then they would have no idea how dangerous. This is a very sad thing to hear. Sorry for the loss. Prayers your way!
Sorry for your lost

Lexington, KY

#17 Aug 12, 2010
FYI wrote:
Actually at a railroad crossing you are not to stop you keep going incase your car quits you can make it on over. That is in the drivers manual! I also stop in that spot though. But if someone is not familiar w/ it then they would have no idea how dangerous. This is a very sad thing to hear. Sorry for the loss. Prayers your way!
Idiot BEFORE you start crossing NOT when you are on the track! Wow you are an idiot
Jarie

Lexington, KY

#18 Aug 12, 2010
This was such a tragedy. such a beautiful young girl..this is a dangerous crossing. you do have to pull out close to see if a train is coming...Please know that she is with the Lord and I will pray for your family,,
concerned

Franklin, OH

#19 Aug 12, 2010
If Berea is the entity responsible for ensuring railroad crossing block bars are installed where train tracks intersect with the highways, then shame on the city for not already having this done. Maybe this sad and unfortunate tragedy will serve as an example and compel them to get their act together.

It's awfully funny how they can implement a 3 percent fast food tax and invest more and more money into tourism (for example, has anyone seen the new trolley?), but not provide sufficient funding for basic road safety. Another example, when the new bypass was built, it took at least one crash that I can think of at the intersection of menelaus road and the bypass before a red light was installed.

Being alert while driving is obviously just as important as any warning signs, red lights, crossing bars at RR intersections, etc, but every safety measure taken helps prevent things like this from happening.

To the family of this young lady, my heart goes out to you. I am so sorry to hear about this. Also, if the city of Berea is not responsible for RR crossing equipment (perhaps it's the state?) then my apologies for critizing them on this.
FYI

Berea, KY

#20 Aug 12, 2010
Sorry for your lost wrote:
<quoted text>
Idiot BEFORE you start crossing NOT when you are on the track! Wow you are an idiot
No Idiot you do not slow down before the track you keep going so if your car does quit you can coast across!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Berea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 22 min Wisdom of God 170,617
wrecker service (Jun '09) 2 hr Matt 33
Mad South football 2 hr SKIP 20
Berea walk-in Clinic wow 2 hr Pissed 4
Looking for local Drywall men. 11 hr JACK 4
star wars and masculinity 19 hr sad 1
Farm Bureau Insurnace Rate Increase? (Sep '10) Fri 05 ford tarous owner 28

Berea Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Berea Mortgages