beware of this contractor

beware of this contractor

Posted in the Berea Forum

got took

Lexington, KY

#1 Oct 22, 2009
I just want to post this to try and help other people DO NOT do buisness with a company under the name American Metal Roofing the contractors name Is Bobby Robbins out of Lancaster.I contracted him to do my roof in metal put 4000.00 dollars up half the money to get him started he said all I got was bent and scratched metal he sent 3 teenage boys out after 2 months of excusses they started it was a disaster didn't cut out roof vents didn't position metal down at the gutter it looked like a picket fence.I ask them to leave and call Bobby Robbins he made more excusses and never showe up again.I tried the legal system from local all the way through the state attorney and they told me nothing can be done to enforce him to repay me.He has several other buisness names he has Madison Vinyl Windows and doors for 32.000 dollars.I am not trying to start another dog eat dog thread I just want to try to help peole not get took by this guy he is slick writes a great contract but he knows how to hide under the law after hehas your money.I have talked to others that have been taken by him I am not the only one but they need to stand up for theirself.Lastly don't think the court system will help you out I have tried since 7/07/09 and have no leagal help at all
Suggestion

Lexington, KY

#2 Oct 22, 2009
I'm so sorry that happened to you. Perhaps you should post your story on the Lancaster page of topix to make sure it really gets around.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#3 Oct 22, 2009
You have to file a civil suit in Lancaster, or your county since he was doing business there. You don't necessarily have to have all his business names, just the pne he gave to you and his actual name. You will have to pay a filing fee and such, but you can sue for that back from him. Good luck!
got took wrote:
I just want to post this to try and help other people DO NOT do buisness with a company under the name American Metal Roofing the contractors name Is Bobby Robbins out of Lancaster.I contracted him to do my roof in metal put 4000.00 dollars up half the money to get him started he said all I got was bent and scratched metal he sent 3 teenage boys out after 2 months of excusses they started it was a disaster didn't cut out roof vents didn't position metal down at the gutter it looked like a picket fence.I ask them to leave and call Bobby Robbins he made more excusses and never showe up again.I tried the legal system from local all the way through the state attorney and they told me nothing can be done to enforce him to repay me.He has several other buisness names he has Madison Vinyl Windows and doors for 32.000 dollars.I am not trying to start another dog eat dog thread I just want to try to help peole not get took by this guy he is slick writes a great contract but he knows how to hide under the law after hehas your money.I have talked to others that have been taken by him I am not the only one but they need to stand up for theirself.Lastly don't think the court system will help you out I have tried since 7/07/09 and have no leagal help at all

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#4 Oct 22, 2009
Sorry, "one" not "pne", lol.
Older than dirt

Manchester, KY

#5 Oct 22, 2009
Sadly, there are a few "contractors" out there that operate like this. Unfortunately there's not a lot you can do. File a civil suit against him like someone else mentioned and at least put him to the expense of defending himself in court.

If he doesn't show up, you'll get a summary judgement, if he does you get to rip him in front of a judge. Either way it's good for you.
Older than dirt

Manchester, KY

#6 Oct 22, 2009
collecting is a whole other issue

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#7 Oct 22, 2009
Yes, collecting is another issue, good point Older than Dirt, however, I believe there are several ways of going about it, according to one of my law texts. You can actually put a lien on any of their "real" property, including vehicles or real estate. You may also report him to a collection agency and it will have seriously negative consequences on his credit report. Also, you can have the Sheriff in his county seize money from his accounts, property etc. ANother option is wage garnishment, which you will also need to enlist the county Sheriff for that. Again, good luck!
got took

Lexington, KY

#8 Oct 22, 2009
Suggestion I post it in Berea because that is where I live and the contract is for I know some people in Lancaster and he is pretty much done there so now he is moving into Madison county he does home improvement in all stages or rips people off in all stages of home improvement.
I did sit with three different lawyers for a civil suit all told me that the case was 100% winable but at the end of the suit I will be out more money for court cost and lawyer fees even thou I will roll the fees in the suit I will have to pay upfront and in the end I get a paper showing he owes me the 4000.00 plus and he will not pay nor will the courts inforce him to pay.And the lawyers also told me he knows how the system works so he would end up with public payed council.Like I said I just want to tell everyone before you get done like I did
Diddle

Lexington, KY

#9 Oct 22, 2009
Sadly, there are a LOT! of contractors out there like this. I heard a similar story on, the Sue Wylie Show (590 WVLK AM) last Friday. Piss poor (metal) roofing contractor. Botched job and the homeowner is out 5K on a 2nd mortgage to cover a roof repair which went south.

HVAC and Roofing contractors are by far the worst in customer serivice and standing behind their work. I would venture to say that well over 70% of the people engaged in roofing and HVAC have a drinking or drug problem. I worked around them until I chose a different career. Smoking a joint or popping a pill is the accepted norm around break time. One hint of impending problems is lots of Mountain Dew, Bull and energy drinks cans around the construction site.[learned this from an inspector..]

If you contact the Kentucky Department of Housing Building and Construction,( http://dhbc.ky.gov/ ) you may get some help.

I am sorry for your trouble. Perhaps you experience will be of benefit to others.

D!
Older than dirt wrote:
Sadly, there are a few "contractors" out there that operate like this.
Older than dirt

Manchester, KY

#10 Oct 22, 2009
KittenKiss wrote:
Yes, collecting is another issue, good point Older than Dirt, however, I believe there are several ways of going about it, according to one of my law texts. You can actually put a lien on any of their "real" property, including vehicles or real estate. You may also report him to a collection agency and it will have seriously negative consequences on his credit report. Also, you can have the Sheriff in his county seize money from his accounts, property etc. ANother option is wage garnishment, which you will also need to enlist the county Sheriff for that. Again, good luck!
However, if he's incorporated or LLC anything personal is "untouchable".

Most of these guys keep all their assets in family members names for protection. But hey, It's worth it just to hassle him for what he did. And to get it on public record for any future victims to possibly be warned.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#11 Oct 22, 2009
Nice catch! Yeah, but this guy seems lazy, so it's worth a shot to try and nab him now before he wises up.
Older than dirt wrote:
<quoted text>
However, if he's incorporated or LLC anything personal is "untouchable".
Most of these guys keep all their assets in family members names for protection. But hey, It's worth it just to hassle him for what he did. And to get it on public record for any future victims to possibly be warned.
good ole boy

Lexington, KY

#12 Oct 22, 2009
got took wrote:
I just want to post this to try and help other people DO NOT do buisness with a company under the name American Metal Roofing the contractors name Is Bobby Robbins out of Lancaster.I contracted him to do my roof in metal put 4000.00 dollars up half the money to get him started he said all I got was bent and scratched metal he sent 3 teenage boys out after 2 months of excusses they started it was a disaster didn't cut out roof vents didn't position metal down at the gutter it looked like a picket fence.I ask them to leave and call Bobby Robbins he made more excusses and never showe up again.I tried the legal system from local all the way through the state attorney and they told me nothing can be done to enforce him to repay me.He has several other buisness names he has Madison Vinyl Windows and doors for 32.000 dollars.I am not trying to start another dog eat dog thread I just want to try to help peole not get took by this guy he is slick writes a great contract but he knows how to hide under the law after hehas your money.I have talked to others that have been taken by him I am not the only one but they need to stand up for theirself.Lastly don't think the court system will help you out I have tried since 7/07/09 and have no leagal help at all
Thanks for the heads up. We all need to report this type of problem on here.
Warm and cozy

Staunton, VA

#13 Oct 22, 2009
We had the same problem taking our landlord to court to collect our rental deposit. We filed the suit in civil court in Berea, went in and won the case. We filed it against the company name that the landlord used. WE SHOULD HAVE SUED HIM PERSONALLY if at all possible. We didn't. It was a mistake not to look into suing him personally because the day after we won the suit he went to the courthouse and dissolved his company. So we had nowhere to collect from.

I'm not going to put his name in this thread but all I can say is he owns a large wire company (last I heard) in Berea. The property was on Jefferson St.

So I have this fancy piece of paper that says I won the case but nothing to show for it. The apartment was immaculate when we left; in fact it was in better condition than when we moved in. He claimed that it was in need of things that were there when we moved in... what is funny is that the news tenants moved in the day after we left... it was in that good of a shape when we left it.

REPORT THIS ROOFER TO THE BBB. At least when other people inquire about him at the Better Business Bureau they will see your complaint.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#14 Oct 22, 2009
You can still sue him personally, if you wanted. It would be completely seperate cases.
Warm and cozy wrote:
We had the same problem taking our landlord to court to collect our rental deposit. We filed the suit in civil court in Berea, went in and won the case. We filed it against the company name that the landlord used. WE SHOULD HAVE SUED HIM PERSONALLY if at all possible. We didn't. It was a mistake not to look into suing him personally because the day after we won the suit he went to the courthouse and dissolved his company. So we had nowhere to collect from.
I'm not going to put his name in this thread but all I can say is he owns a large wire company (last I heard) in Berea. The property was on Jefferson St.
So I have this fancy piece of paper that says I won the case but nothing to show for it. The apartment was immaculate when we left; in fact it was in better condition than when we moved in. He claimed that it was in need of things that were there when we moved in... what is funny is that the news tenants moved in the day after we left... it was in that good of a shape when we left it.
REPORT THIS ROOFER TO THE BBB. At least when other people inquire about him at the Better Business Bureau they will see your complaint.
got took

Nicholasville, KY

#15 Oct 23, 2009
Read the lancaster topix this guy is a real peice of work just remember his name cause looks like he changes the company name often BOBBY ROBBINS
got took

Nicholasville, KY

#16 Oct 26, 2009
don't forget if you are having work done on your home or I heard he is doing out buildings now dont get Bobby Robbins unless you want your money taken and no work he is a real dead beat
cathy

Lexington, KY

#17 Oct 27, 2009
There are a lot of contractors who don't know how to do construction. The men who hung my siding was some of these! I had to actually tell them how to cut some of it! That is really sad! I made them take some of it back off and redo it! Paid them some up front and he took off and went to S.C. right in the middle of the job! Cut some of it to short and tried to hide it with caulk! Ken sandlin was his name. and i am not afraid to post it. I told i would not give him a good reference. beware of who you get.. before you get them go out and look very closely at some of there work.
vw k

Lexington, KY

#18 Oct 27, 2009
cathy wrote:
There are a lot of contractors who don't know how to do construction. The men who hung my siding was some of these! I had to actually tell them how to cut some of it! That is really sad! I made them take some of it back off and redo it! Paid them some up front and he took off and went to S.C. right in the middle of the job! Cut some of it to short and tried to hide it with caulk! Ken sandlin was his name. and i am not afraid to post it. I told i would not give him a good reference. beware of who you get.. before you get them go out and look very closely at some of there work.
ken sandlin, used him once, nice guy however, work wasn't.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Berea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 31 min Chad 159,561
Bobby vanwinkle 16 hr Owneyes 14
Any single girls in berea Thu boohoo 3
Information On Chris Daniel Wed gwo4 1
State police Wed Jjjjjjj 2
Awww.. Bobby is so sweet..... (Apr '09) Wed Sightseeing 3
T J baxter Wed DexMcD 3

Berea Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Berea Mortgages