Took pay and did not do work on home

Took pay and did not do work on home

Posted in the Berea Forum

Wondering

AOL

#1 Jan 21, 2013
I hired someone to put a new roof on my house. He wrote the check and I signed it. He wrote for roof on the check in his own hand writing. He never did put roof on home. Used the money for other things. Is this legal?
steve

Lexington, KY

#3 Jan 21, 2013
Wondering wrote:
I hired someone to put a new roof on my house. He wrote the check and I signed it. He wrote for roof on the check in his own hand writing. He never did put roof on home. Used the money for other things. Is this legal?
no its not legal, you got screwed.
Citizen

Lexington, KY

#4 Jan 21, 2013
NEVER pay a roofing contractor until THE JOB IS COMPLETED. NO EXCEPTIONS.

If they say they need a down for materials, then they have no credit from their vendor - ie, the vendor does not trust them and neither should you.
S and T Home Lawn Care

United States

#5 Jan 21, 2013
Wondering wrote:
Yes it is illegal! You should take this dishonest person to court and either make them refund your money or do their job!
Wondering

AOL

#6 Jan 21, 2013
Citizen wrote:
NEVER pay a roofing contractor until THE JOB IS COMPLETED. NO EXCEPTIONS.
If they say they need a down for materials, then they have no credit from their vendor - ie, the vendor does not trust them and neither should you.
I learned the hard way. This was a friend and I thought I could trust him. Now I find out that he has done other people like this.
Wondering

AOL

#7 Jan 21, 2013
S and T Home Lawn Care wrote:
<quoted text>Yes it is illegal! You should take this dishonest person to court and either make them refund your money or do their job!
I have talked to a lawyer. He said it was insurance fraud and theft by deception and a few more things.
S and T Home Lawn Care

United States

#8 Jan 21, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
I have talked to a lawyer. He said it was insurance fraud and theft by deception and a few more things.
I would think there is something you could do. I hate to see this stuff cause it just makes it harder for those trying to do what is right.
As a young business, there is no way we could do a large job without at least a portion of pay for materials but at least we do provide a reciept as to what is purchased. We normally try to give a supply list and give our client the time to go purchase those items just because of the dishonest things people do. I know we did not have any part in this situation, but I am sorry that you have been subjected to such actions
Wondering

AOL

#9 Jan 22, 2013
Berea will not let him have any more permits until legal problems are cleared up. Heard this morning someone else is filing a lawsuit against him. I am seeing a lawyer tomorrow.
Contractor

Lexington, KY

#10 Jan 23, 2013
Wondering wrote:
Berea will not let him have any more permits until legal problems are cleared up. Heard this morning someone else is filing a lawsuit against him. I am seeing a lawyer tomorrow.
Good for you! Chances you will not recover your money but possibly get the saisfaction of making their live miserable.. I hate a damn crook.

As a contractor of a different profession I have never asked for one cent prior to work completion and that is over a twenty-five year period. I am licensed, bonded and insured and frankly there should be a law that EVERY contractor should be. And futhermore the City of Berea, Madison County and the City of Richmond should require proof of license and insurance before issuing a permit. Actually a letter of credit from the bank might not be a bad idea come to think of it.
Wondering

AOL

#11 Jan 23, 2013
Contractor wrote:
<quoted text>
Good for you! Chances you will not recover your money but possibly get the saisfaction of making their live miserable.. I hate a damn crook.
As a contractor of a different profession I have never asked for one cent prior to work completion and that is over a twenty-five year period. I am licensed, bonded and insured and frankly there should be a law that EVERY contractor should be. And futhermore the City of Berea, Madison County and the City of Richmond should require proof of license and insurance before issuing a permit. Actually a letter of credit from the bank might not be a bad idea come to think of it.
Just got back from lawyer. Filing suit against him. He has already proved on paper he is good at lying. Left a paper trail. You may be surprised when you find out who this crook is.
Wondering

AOL

#15 Jan 24, 2013
Contractor wrote:
<quoted text>
Like what you had to say. This was a friend and I thought I could trust him. Turns out he is a crook and liar. I don't know which one I hate the most. Both are relly bad.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Berea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 15 min Paganbirdkeeper 167,588
Who is the wealthiest man (or) woman in Berea? (Jun '10) 1 hr Hazel from Red Lick 68
Is Berea collage a den for brainwashing with ge... 6 hr JACK 6
You know what would screw up Bere's little left... 11 hr Cressett 40
Jordan Marcum 18 hr homeforsale 13
Berea Wendy's 19 hr simplemale 5
Brian lawson Tue KIM PHILLIPS 36

Berea Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Berea Mortgages