taxes and your pay
charlie evans

Lexington, KY

#1 Feb 18, 2013
would you like to keep more of your pay check.Stand against every new tax.The city owns electric company,water company,and all property in berea,are you working for them or your family.
Well

Richmond, KY

#2 Feb 18, 2013
Uhhuhh Berea is not the problem. Look to Washington. We are living in a utopia compared to many communities across the country. Compare the local taxes we pay to other cities of our size and you will see that we are below the norm in taxation.

Wake up, stop complaining, get educated and then you might have something useful to contribute.
Bereaboy

West Union, OH

#3 Feb 18, 2013
People migh be more understanding if the city tightened its belt and controlled spending instead of buying property,cars/trucks and buildings that it doesnt need.

There are several new 'city' vehicles running around town that should not have been bought.

Liberals try and find any way to spend money.
charlie evans

Lexington, KY

#4 Feb 19, 2013
just because we live in a great place it is not ok to add tax because some other city pays more.we need to keep our mind on berea and how to make it better,and that does not mean higher taxes.
charlie evans

Lexington, KY

#5 Feb 20, 2013
are you living pay check to pay check ,and you just dont see how you will make it ,are you watching ever penny.will you start watching ever penny of yours the mayor spends and hold him accountable for it ,or will you just trust him its your money.
Bereaboy

United States

#6 Feb 21, 2013
The mayor has no respect for those that questions him,he has proven this by the way he has treated Jerry Little and Ronnie Terril.Every time they question the mayor regarding money and budgets,the mayor makes a smart comment and shows them no descency.
Well

Richmond, KY

#7 Feb 21, 2013
Bereaboy wrote:
The mayor has no respect for those that questions him,he has proven this by the way he has treated Jerry Little and Ronnie Terril.Every time they question the mayor regarding money and budgets,the mayor makes a smart comment and shows them no descency.
Or maybe the Mayor is tried of having to explain it to the slow kids in class over and over and over again.
charlie evans

Lexington, KY

#8 Feb 22, 2013
if the mayor is so smart why was the city of berea out of money 08 and companys are still leaveing berea now.if jerry and ronnie is so smart what would they do different .if you have any ideas what are they.
Well

Richmond, KY

#9 Feb 22, 2013
What companies are leaving Berea? What factories have closed?

Where do you get your info that Berea is out of money?

I don't think I ever said that I thought the Mayor was "so smart". But, I'll play. I do think he is a very smart man and I think he truly cares about Berea. Do you know how much the Mayor is paid? It is a pittance, not even enough to live on. I can tell you that if all the hours Steve spends representing, protecting and serving this town were calculated that he would be making less than minimum wage for the job.

Further more, I don't see a long line of people stepping up for the job. Hell, I don't even see anyone qualified showing an interest. the two council members mentioned in this thread are just foolish blowhards who don't have the knowledge or experience to back up campaign promises or to represent effectively.

Listen, I'm fed up with big government too. I'm tired of working to support free loaders. But, lets be real. The BIG problem, the one that is drowning all of us is in Washington.

Oh and if industries are leaving Berea (and I don't know of any that are) then it is not because of a city tax. Businesses are going over seas because of the ridiculous amounts of tax, regulation and other government interference perpetrated by our federal government. Let the Fed raise the minimum wage and see how many more leave.

Time to wake up folks.
Bereaboy

Bethel, OH

#10 Feb 23, 2013
Well,you must be a liberal council member or have your head in the sand.

The candle factory is closed.

Bluegrass Wire Harness,closed.

Omega Industrial Cleaning,closed.

NACCO keeps laying off workers.

PPG sold out.

The company that supplied boxes to PPG is closed.

Tokico sold out to Hitachi.

Motorwheel sold out to Stemco.

ALCAN sold out to Novelis.

Booneway Farms closed years ago.

Panasonic closed a few years ago.

American Greetings closed a few years ago.

Several machine shops have closed or are barely staying open.
Well

Richmond, KY

#11 Feb 23, 2013
Bereaboy wrote:
Well,you must be a liberal council member or have your head in the sand.
The candle factory is closed.
Bluegrass Wire Harness,closed.
Omega Industrial Cleaning,closed.
NACCO keeps laying off workers.
PPG sold out.
The company that supplied boxes to PPG is closed.
Tokico sold out to Hitachi.
Motorwheel sold out to Stemco.
ALCAN sold out to Novelis.
Booneway Farms closed years ago.
Panasonic closed a few years ago.
American Greetings closed a few years ago.
Several machine shops have closed or are barely staying open.
No I'm not liberal or a council member.

Sold out to another company does not mean closed or that the business has left Berea. It means the jobs are still there and supporting our economy. The small business you mentioned that actually closed are no surprise. That is what happens when the economy tanks.

Look at comparable sized cities. What industry do they have?

No Bereaboy (and I do believe BOY is accurate) my head is not in the sand. I simply choose to look at the facts and not run around like chicken little screaming the sky is falling.
charlie evans

Lexington, KY

#12 Feb 24, 2013
I do beleive there is a lot of work
to be had my main consern is berea .I know the economy tanked ,I just dont know if the mayor or city counsel done anything to keep buisness here .Maybe they could sell them electricity at cost for six months and wait for the difference to be paid latter keeping the work here.Tell me some of your ideas.you and your neighbor is very important but they are not more important than me and mine.
Bereaboy

United States

#13 Mar 7, 2013
Well wrote:
<quoted text>
No I'm not liberal or a council member.
Sold out to another company does not mean closed or that the business has left Berea. It means the jobs are still there and supporting our economy. The small business you mentioned that actually closed are no surprise. That is what happens when the economy tanks.
Look at comparable sized cities. What industry do they have?
No Bereaboy (and I do believe BOY is accurate) my head is not in the sand. I simply choose to look at the facts and not run around like chicken little screaming the sky is falling.
If you look at facts as much as you claim,you would then know that small business is the backbone of the state and the nations economy.

While large companies can employee hundreds or even thousands in one place,that doesnt compare to the hundreds of thousands that work at or own a small business around the nation.

When the small companies start closing,that is when you need to worry.
Bereaboy

United States

#14 Mar 8, 2013
Small business employees 52% of the US population and out of three jobs created,small business creates two of them.
charlie evans

Lexington, KY

#16 Mar 12, 2013
if you have extra money who do we see we need a list
Lucky

United States

#17 Mar 13, 2013
$350 per month at a 8% return for 40 years. Start at 20 at 60 years old you will have $1,229,999.30 people wake up and demand that schools start teaching this to our kids. The government wants you broke so they can control you. Its politics people! start to control your life by controlling yourself you can do it!!!
Just Curious

Lexington, KY

#18 Mar 13, 2013
Where are you getting 8% interest?
Lucky wrote:
$350 per month at a 8% return for 40 years. Start at 20 at 60 years old you will have $1,229,999.30 people wake up and demand that schools start teaching this to our kids. The government wants you broke so they can control you. Its politics people! start to control your life by controlling yourself you can do it!!!
Lucky

United States

#19 Mar 16, 2013
Just Curious wrote:
Where are you getting 8% interest?
<quoted text>
look at Ferrell gas they have been getting a dividend return for years at 10%.lots of mutual funds at 12% or better for many mutual funds. Check to make sure it's a 12% or better return for a three or 5 year average. Also check the grain futures those have been great returns for years for me. Look at getting in this spring as the summer gets dry prices run up fast and hard.
Just Curious

Lexington, KY

#20 Mar 18, 2013
Thanks for the tip!
Lucky wrote:
<quoted text> look at Ferrell gas they have been getting a dividend return for years at 10%.lots of mutual funds at 12% or better for many mutual funds. Check to make sure it's a 12% or better return for a three or 5 year average. Also check the grain futures those have been great returns for years for me. Look at getting in this spring as the summer gets dry prices run up fast and hard.
Lucky

Tucker, GA

#21 Mar 18, 2013
Just Curious wrote:
Thanks for the tip!
<quoted text>
you need to educate yourself on ways to make over 12%. Do a word search on mutual funds 10 year average with 12% or better return. You will be very surprised at what you find! Also I can show you many other ways. But I know only a scratch of a scratch of what there is out there. But I can point you to some very interesting things and ways to make money. Live the dream and teach others !!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Berea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr Strel 160,867
Dm Auto Salavge drug dealing 4 hr Pokerman 3
Anyone got any bud 6 hr Beerbelly 7
hyster 13 hr Bird dog 2
Mcyl (Jul '16) 15 hr Truth 23
Who is Angel King? 16 hr Eagle 2
Rentals in Berea (Sep '12) Fri mary street resident 9

Berea Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance