Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81692 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Abeliever

Antioch, TN

#63911 Jul 19, 2012
Rattlesnake Pete wrote:
<quoted text>Ridin' the storm out?
Great song:

Reo Speedwagon - "Ridin' the Storm"
&fe ature=related

So are these:

The Thunder Rolls Garth Brooks
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Thunder Road
Bruce Springsteen

Gimme Shelter 1969 - The Rolling Stone

Among others. I hope everyone rode the storm out with little damage. Much needed rain, but too much wind and lightning. Got home late dodging trees in the road, lighning all around, but no rain other than earlier tonight.

Sorry I missed everyone. Understand my IMPOSTER FAKE Abeliever was on. Hmmmmm, glad they got removed. Have a fabulous Friay.
Abeliever

Antioch, TN

#63912 Jul 19, 2012
Guess the storms up our way made national news due to this tragedy. Bless their hearts. So sad:

Two people died after lightning struck a Louisville, Kentucky, house and set it on fire Thursday evening, officials said.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
NEW: A man is struck by lightning on the Ohio River
NEW: The fire in the house was "like a blow torch," a neighbor says
The lightning entered the house through a phone wire
Storms in the area brought winds that topped more than 60 mph

(CNN)-- An elderly man and his granddaughter died after a bolt of lightning started a fire in a house in Louisville, Kentucky, on Thursday evening, officials said.

The lightning came from powerful storms that struck the area, causing auto accidents, flooding viaducts and stranding cars.

The 911 call from the people inside the house came in around 6:45 p.m., said Vince Luney, communications supervisor for EMA Metrosafe, a public safety agency. Amid a flurry of other emergency calls, firefighters were dispatched to the scene and arrived within minutes.

The elderly man was bedridden and his granddaughter was trying to get him out of the house, said Gregory Frederick, the Louisville fire chief.

It took "about 10 or 15 minutes to actually locate them because of the severity of the fire," he said. "We had to knock some of the fire down to get firefighters in there to effect the rescue. The fire had a pretty good head start on us."

Storm rips roof off of hotel
Between them, the 30 firefighters on the scene pulled the two people out of the house.

"Those boys were brave -- the flames were going, they were running straight to it, back up a bit, and run again," Billy Ray Garrett, a resident of the neighborhood told CNN affiliate WAVE. "If anybody died in that house, it ain't because of anything they could do, they were trying, they were fighting."

The elderly man died of his injuries at the scene, according to Frederick, and the woman was declared dead at a Louisville hospital. Several family members were present at the time and were notified, he said.

Firefighters are investigating the blaze and are treating lightning as the preliminary cause.
"Lightning struck an 80-foot-tall tree, hit about 40 feet up, and it entered a phone wire that came in through the rear of the house," Frederick said. Melted wire suggested the phone line had carried the lightning's charge into the basement of the house, he added.

Fire crews reported smoke in the basement upon arrival.

"It was like having a blow torch coming out the side of the house," Garrett said. "It was running all the way up the side of the other house, it was all coming through the bottom window, like a massive torch."

The house is still standing, according to Frederick.

"It's got pretty severe damage to the basement and the first floor," he said. "It's an older, probably 1940s-era house, so the fire traveled (through) sealed spaces and moved into other areas of the house."

Severe thunderstorms that pushed through the area included winds that topped more than 60 mph, according to the National Weather Service. The storms knocked out power in thousands of homes across Kentucky.

Follow local coverate at WAVE-TV
The roof of Louisville's Crowne Plaza Hotel was partially torn off, sending debris onto vehicles in the parking lot below, officials said. No injuries were reported to EMA Metrosafe.

"We probably made somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 other runs" to deal with problems caused by the storm, Frederick said. A multitude of those requests came within 20 to 30 minutes, he added.

continued:
Abeliever

Antioch, TN

#63913 Jul 19, 2012
continued:

In nearby Oldham County, a man on a boat on the Ohio River was struck by lightning, said Don Dahl, the North Oldham deputy assistant fire chief.

The young man was in speedboat with about four other people when the storms rolled in from the Indiana side of the river, Dahl said.

The man appeared to have taken a direct hit from lightning and was "hurting pretty bad," according to Dahl.

The emergency services got the man onto land and into a waiting ambulance, which took him to a Louisville hospital, he said.

The man's latest condition was not immediately available. He was taken to the hospital with "unknown injuries," said Jason Smiser, Oldham County dispatcher.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/19/us/kentucky-sto...

Hope everyone else faired a little better than northern Kentucky. We didn't lose power. The roads were steaming after the first downpour. Still were at 11:30 pm. Stay safe.

“peace...”

Since: Apr 12

Madisonville, Ky

#63914 Jul 19, 2012
Abeliever wrote:
<quoted text>
Great song:
Reo Speedwagon - "Ridin' the Storm"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =U-mkiLINQFsXX&feature=rel ated
So are these:
The Thunder Rolls Garth Brooks
Thunder Road
Bruce Springsteen
Gimme Shelter 1969 - The Rolling Stone
Among others. I hope everyone rode the storm out with little damage. Much needed rain, but too much wind and lightning. Got home late dodging trees in the road, lighning all around, but no rain other than earlier tonight.
Sorry I missed everyone. Understand my IMPOSTER FAKE Abeliever was on. Hmmmmm, glad they got removed. Have a fabulous Friay.
Yourself as well.
Abeliever

Antioch, TN

#63915 Jul 19, 2012
Rattlesnake Pete wrote:
<quoted text>Yourself as well.
:) Thank you. Missed the "d" on my Friday. lol
Abeliever

Antioch, TN

#63916 Jul 19, 2012
I see "Nope" tried to explain to some people about the canary in the mine theory and the significance of methane gas i.e. earthquakes and such. Not to mention the wonder of a flock of birds dropping dead all at one time. Natural causes...yeah right!

For the Birds:

Pictures of Canaries

in the Coal Mines

Before the invention of devices called methane detectors,coal miners relied on the canary to warn them of the presence of toxic gases in the mine sections they were working in.

The miners would take a canary bird in a small cage to work with them in the sections. Being so small, if there were gases like methane, or blackdamp present, the canary would pass out and most likely die. This gave the miner warning to escape from that area before he would be overcome himself.

Below are some pictures of canaries in the mines provided to us by R C McDonald.

http://petcaretips.net/picture-canary-coal-mi...

Miner's canary
Canaries were once regularly used in coal mining as an early warning system.[5] Toxic gases such as carbon monoxide, methane or carbon dioxide in the mine would kill the bird before affecting the miners. Signs of distress from the bird indicated to the miners that conditions were unsafe. The use of miners' canaries in British mines was phased out in 1987.[6]

Hence, the phrase "canary in a coal mine" is frequently used to refer to a person or thing which serves as an early warning of a coming crisis. By analogy, the term climate canary is used to refer to a species that is affected by an environmental danger prior to other species, thus serving as an early warning system for the other species with regard to the danger.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_Canary

See for yourself all you doubting Thomases out there. lol
Abeliever

Antioch, TN

#63917 Jul 19, 2012
The "topic" is irrelevant now that the BIRDS are no longer dropping dead in Murray. So technically, there is no "staying on topic". Got it. See below:

MURRAY, Ky.- State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

They say grackles, red wing blackbirds, robins and starlings were among the dead animals.

New Year's Eve fireworks have been blamed for causing the deaths of thousands of blackbirds in central Arkansas last week. The bird deaths ...

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110105/N...

“peace...”

Since: Apr 12

Madisonville, Ky

#63918 Jul 19, 2012
Abeliever wrote:
<quoted text>
:) Thank you. Missed the "d" on my Friday. lol
A long as you don't miss it on payay..lol..(payday) ;)
Abeliever

Antioch, TN

#63919 Jul 19, 2012
My pillow calls me. I will say goodnight with some inspiration from GODvine:

Too cute. Animals are smarter than people sometimes. lol

Smart Dog Figures Out How to Use the Hose to Cool Down

You have to watch how this smart dog figures out how to use the hose to cool down on this hot summer day. It doesn't take him long at all...what a smart pup!

http://www.godvine.com/Smart-Dog-Figures-Out-...

Karma is a (you know) which they talk about in this video. Good people can even overlook bad behavior to save a life. Lucky for this one who didn't even have the decency to say THANK YOU.

Mom Saves the Life of a Woman Who Just Gave Her the Finger

A driver flips the bird to this mom and her daughter...then crashes her car moments later. It was the mother who came to her rescue and pulled her to safety. What would you have done?

http://www.godvine.com/Mom-Saves-the-Life-of-...

This reminds me of one of my favorite movies..PAY IT FORWARD. There are so many good people in the world, it makes you forget about the ones that work so hard to be bad.:)

One Act of Kindness Turns 93 Dollars into Over 100,000

Ever think a simple act of kindness isn't worth it? Well, this video and phenomenon is here to prove otherwise. Just one act of kindness involving $93 has led to over $100,000 and thousands of meals.

http://www.godvine.com/One-Act-of-Kindness-Tu...

Hope everyone has a great weekend. Goodnight!

"CLICK"
ugghgg

Idalou, TX

#63920 Jul 19, 2012
Hgn
trusted

Leitchfield, KY

#63922 Jul 20, 2012
Abeliever wrote:
My pillow calls me. I will say goodnight with some inspiration from GODvine:
Too cute. Animals are smarter than people sometimes. lol
Smart Dog Figures Out How to Use the Hose to Cool Down
You have to watch how this smart dog figures out how to use the hose to cool down on this hot summer day. It doesn't take him long at all...what a smart pup!
http://www.godvine.com/Smart-Dog-Figures-Out-...
Karma is a (you know) which they talk about in this video. Good people can even overlook bad behavior to save a life. Lucky for this one who didn't even have the decency to say THANK YOU.
Mom Saves the Life of a Woman Who Just Gave Her the Finger
A driver flips the bird to this mom and her daughter...then crashes her car moments later. It was the mother who came to her rescue and pulled her to safety. What would you have done?
http://www.godvine.com/Mom-Saves-the-Life-of-...
This reminds me of one of my favorite movies..PAY IT FORWARD. There are so many good people in the world, it makes you forget about the ones that work so hard to be bad.:)
One Act of Kindness Turns 93 Dollars into Over 100,000
Ever think a simple act of kindness isn't worth it? Well, this video and phenomenon is here to prove otherwise. Just one act of kindness involving $93 has led to over $100,000 and thousands of meals.
http://www.godvine.com/One-Act-of-Kindness-Tu...
Hope everyone has a great weekend. Goodnight!
"CLICK"
Love the great stories you post. Good will win in the end , I am sure of it...
who cares

Richmond, KY

#63923 Jul 20, 2012
who cares
yup

United States

#63924 Jul 20, 2012
I say something bad is goin to happen SOON!!!!! Not real sure what but its goin to happen. Just look at it it's happening all over the world. It's not the weather it's not from burning coal. It could be the government but why would they be killing stuff in other countries. Idk and ya know all the flu's that we have today did you know that 99% of the flu's are man made. By the government. So I don't think it's bird flu. This is not normal, even if we burn 10% as much coal or have crazy weather.
yup

United States

#63925 Jul 20, 2012
It's call like a movie. People walkin around in gas masks. Pickin up dead birds. But it's all adding up. All the bad and weird weather, people eatin people's faces off. Idk what to think of all of this. I know that there is a movie I can't think of the name of it but it's the same guy who plays spiderman. It showed the same stuff in the movie. And they say that only red wing black birds died. Not what I have been told is that the red on the wings is Jesus's blood. So meaning that it's the blood the he shed for us. Now idk what you believe but what is that meaning. Kinda scare I say.
abc

Owensboro, KY

#63926 Jul 20, 2012
I found this on Pinterest a while back and my dogs have really enjoyed it.
Frosty Paws: 32 oz plain yogurt, 1 mashed ripe banana (important to mash well before adding),
2 Tbsp peanut butter, 2 Tbsp honey. Mix well and spoon into ice cube trays or clean egg cartons. Freeze. Makes about 3 dozen.
Frozen Treat: Fill desired size container with water or chicken/beef broth and add treats or toys. Freeze. I use tuna and water in 8 oz containers and that works great as well.
Have a good day!
Revelations

United States

#63927 Jul 20, 2012
200 tons of dead fish egypt, 20 tons norway, 100's
dolphins rush the shore in brazil, strange purple
Crabs wash ashore in hawaii ''millions'' Hosea prophecy chapter 4 verse 1 2 3 4, Hear the words of the lord O Israel! For god has a controversey with the land, because of the lying , killing, stealing, no knowledge of god, he causeth the birds of the air, fish of the sea and beasts of the field to dissappear and blood toucheth blood.'' Cattle dropping dead in texas, blood lakes becoming rampant, whales dying, birds dropping dead on dec 31 2011 and dec 31 2012, 5000 count both times, have you been saved? Give your life to christ....he is near, even at the door. These things are no coincidence, it all started in 2011
yup

United States

#63928 Jul 20, 2012
Oh it's goin to happen SOON!!!!!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#63929 Jul 20, 2012
so "birds dropping dead on dec 31, 2011 and dec 31 2012, 5000 count both times"........

Don't read and interpret the scriptures to me if you cannot read, comprehend, or count better than that. Are you looking into a crystal ball or are you a time traveler into the future stopping in Texas on Dec 31, 2012 to count 5000 birds that have not died yet ?

“Take no prisoners”

Since: Jan 11

Eddyville, KY

#63930 Jul 20, 2012
RoamingInsomniac wrote:
<quoted text>Methane gas is released over volcanos. Guess all the birds died there too. You didn't see the birds die, nor did you do any little bird autopsies, you just read about it online. REAL RELIABLE.
I never said what I believe. I mereley stated what many "reliable" scientists believe . A plausible theory. Methane gases are also being released in massive clounds through fissures in the polar ice caps.

The principal components of volcanic gases are water vapor (H2O), carbon dioxide (CO2), sulfur either as sulfur dioxide (SO2)(high-temperature volcanic gases) or hydrogen sulfide (H2S)(low-temperature volcanic gases), nitrogen, argon, helium, neon, methane, carbon monoxide and hydrogen. Other compounds detected in volcanic gases are oxygen (meteoric), hydrogen chloride, hydrogen fluoride, hydrogen bromide, nitrogen oxide (NOx), sulfur hexafluoride, carbonyl sulfide, and organic compounds. Exotic trace compounds include methylmercury, halocarbons (including CFCs), and halogen oxide radicals.

Methane is pretty far down the list and is only a small part of the toxic gases expelled from a volcano. The difference is birds can see and smell volcanic gases and can avoid them. Methane is a colorless odorless gas....numbnuts

I'm not a scientist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...LOL
yup

Indianapolis, IN

#63931 Jul 20, 2012
Some people believe in that stuff and I am guessing your not one of them. But all I know is that bad stuff is goin on and no one sees it. Now I ain't tellin ya to go out and get saved or repent but you better make right with every one or no one is goin to help save your a$$ when this stuff get worse.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Berea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 30 min Justified Justice 167,920
Is Berea collage a den for brainwashing with ge... 4 hr Lupus 13
bisexual/lesbain (May '16) Sat Cherokee33 10
Any info on Shawn Sparks Fri Curious 5
Berea walk-in Clinic wow Sep 21 Never again 1
Who is the wealthiest man (or) woman in Berea? (Jun '10) Sep 20 Hazel from Red Lick 68
You know what would screw up Bere's little left... Sep 20 Cressett 40

Berea Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Berea Mortgages