Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,724

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#63788 Jul 19, 2012
Rattlesnake Pete wrote:
<quoted text>BE CAREFUL!! A friend of mine got his FACE blown off last year, while attempting to cut the top off a metal barrell. Suggest filling the barrell with water beore cutting on it. Also, a concrete saw is an amazing tool when cutting metal or plastic, and is MUCH faster than a torch.
Pete, your advice is well taken and good advice. I may be wrong, but I believe that Hempburn was talking about cutting a wooden barrel since he referenced cutting bands and removing screws. When I am cutting thinner metal such as a barrel, I prefer using a SAWZall with a metal cutting blade simply beause I have one and interchanging from wood to metal blades is quick. It is a slower cut than a cocrete saw though, but few people own concrete saws unless they are in the business and it is not economical to rent a concrete saw for a small project.

A skill saw with a metal cutting carbide blade will work well also. I rarely need to cut anything that would require a torch. If cutting sheet metal such as metal roofing, one can use a skill saw with a normal wood cutting blade installed on the saw backwards.

Your advice would also apply to anyone trying to weld an old automobile gas tank. I know of one that exploded that had been empty for over 20 years.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#63806 Jul 19, 2012
LSD923 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are sadly mistaken about the earthquakes not being related to the bird deaths. If you had been around this thread long enough, you would understand the connection.
I've been "around this thread" for YEARS. Doesn't seem like you've been here long. And, don't try being a scientist. You're not. You listen to the MEDIA and think that what THEY say is right. It's not. Get over yourself.

“Take no prisoners”

Since: Jan 11

Eddyville, KY

#63808 Jul 19, 2012
RoamingInsomniac wrote:
<quoted text>I've been "around this thread" for YEARS. Doesn't seem like you've been here long. And, don't try being a scientist. You're not. You listen to the MEDIA and think that what THEY say is right. It's not. Get over yourself.
I've been on this thread since about page 250 (2 months after it sarted). I'm not trying to be a scientist, but I did research what the scientists have said about the possible causes for all the mass bird and fish deaths. What you say makes no sense. The "media" isn't taling about this subject...numbnuts.

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#63815 Jul 19, 2012
LSD923 wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been on this thread since about page 250 (2 months after it sarted). I'm not trying to be a scientist, but I did research what the scientists have said about the possible causes for all the mass bird and fish deaths. What you say makes no sense. The "media" isn't taling about this subject...numbnuts.
Well, I was here WELL before page 250. And, I don't have Nuts. Maybe you should tone down that language and know who you are talking to. I haven't seen ANYTHING credible from any REAL scientists about earthquakes, the weather and birds. Mods here know about the spam posts and they are taking them down.
It's a good idea, since it's NOTHING to do with any birds.
cyberspace

Springfield, IL

#63817 Jul 19, 2012
Here's the fun with cyber space. Like Einstein stated, "Matter is neither created or destroyed." Take the stuff down. Remove it. But it is still out there.
qwerty

Pelion, SC

#63818 Jul 19, 2012
Today's bird promises to bring you lots of happiness and laughter during the coming fortnight. This is the perfect excuse to spend as much time as possible with some of your favorite birds, and also to tell them how much they mean to you. You're at your most demonstrative and affectionate right now, and it will give you real pleasure to dispense hugs and kisses in all directions. Birds will be thrilled, too!

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#63820 Jul 19, 2012
That's the mods again. Removing useless copy and paste about the weather. Nice.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Since: Apr 09

FARTSBURG

#63821 Jul 19, 2012
RoamingInsomniac wrote:
That's the mods again. Removing useless copy and paste about the weather. Nice.
YAY!!! Remove that junk.

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#63822 Jul 19, 2012
They seem to be really on the ball this week. I think they are watching for that spam.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#63823 Jul 19, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<<<Yawning>> >>
Good afternoon all! It's a beautiful day in KY. What are your plans for the wonderful (and so far sunny) one?
Thanks for the information on that barrel, AW. And also Rattlesnake! I'm kind of partial to my face, wrinkles and all... It's the only one I've got and I'd prefer to keep it where the good Lord put it...
@ Nope, Kentucky Barrels in Junction City Kentucky (which is 4 miles south of Danville Kentucky) on U.S. 127 sells the used whiskey barrels which by law cannot be reused and whiskey must be stored in new white oak barrels. They do have a web site. Probably expensive though. In the old days, folks "bled" the used barrels by putting water in them and setting them out in the sun and getting a cheap, watered down whiskey. I tasted it once but I am not a bourbon drinker so I would not know if it was good or bad. To me it was bad. LOL
For some History, Danville is where the Constitution of Kentucky was established and is where the first surgery in Kentucky was performed. It is also where the roses for the Kentucky Derby are freeze dried. And just south of there is the home of Isaac Shelby, the first governor of Kentucky. Constitution Square is an Historic landmark that is a nice place to visit.
Dreamer

Prestonsburg, KY

#63825 Jul 19, 2012
I wish I too could live in a world,where I could just change reality to suit me.Especially when I know that everyone else knows what I said was a lie.
Dreamer

Prestonsburg, KY

#63827 Jul 19, 2012
If the only contribution you can make to this thread is to whine and complain,name call,gang up on one person,then claim some sort of victory by doing so.And try to be the unwanted center of attention.Then why bother coming here?...oh....nevermind.I answered my own question.
U no who U R.
really

Elizabethtown, KY

#63828 Jul 19, 2012
What's up with this thread
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

#63836 Jul 19, 2012
Rattlesnake Pete wrote:
<quoted text>BE CAREFUL!! A friend of mine got his FACE blown off last year, while attempting to cut the top off a metal barrell. Suggest filling the barrell with water beore cutting on it. Also, a concrete saw is an amazing tool when cutting metal or plastic, and is MUCH faster than a torch.
Thanks, but this is a wooden whiskey barrell with steel bands, so you have to screw all five bands down to each wooden slat, then cut the barrel in half lengthwise. I think the end result was worth the effort.
vioce of reason

London, KY

#63838 Jul 19, 2012
The birds are dead this thread is dead get over it.
Dreamer

Prestonsburg, KY

#63842 Jul 19, 2012
Well I'm off to enjoy the rest of the day.Just thought I would drop in and see how the trolls were behaving.Same ol same ol.
As A.W. would say....CLICK.

“Take no prisoners”

Since: Jan 11

Eddyville, KY

#63845 Jul 19, 2012
RoamingInsomniac wrote:
<quoted text>Well, I was here WELL before page 250. And, I don't have Nuts. Maybe you should tone down that language and know who you are talking to. I haven't seen ANYTHING credible from any REAL scientists about earthquakes, the weather and birds. Mods here know about the spam posts and they are taking them down.
It's a good idea, since it's NOTHING to do with any birds.
So, if you haven't seen it, then it doesn't exist? Don't attack me, and I won't retaliate. For your information, many "credible" sources within the scientific community believe methane gases, released during earthquakes, are the cause of worldwide mass deaths of birds and fish. Just because you didn't see, or don't believe it, doesn't mean it is or isn't the correct theory.
voice of reason

London, KY

#63846 Jul 19, 2012
So it was methane gas released during earthquakes that killed hundreds of birds in western Ky. Glad we finally have that cleared up. End of story. This should be the last comment on the bird thread. Good deal.

Since: Jul 12

Georgetown, IN

#63849 Jul 19, 2012
could be someone transporting chemicals to make meth in the water. and the birds drink the water. if not drug-related chemicals it's still definitely in the water.

Since: Jan 10

Scotts Vegas

#63850 Jul 19, 2012
voice of reason wrote:
So it was methane gas released during earthquakes that killed hundreds of birds in western Ky. Glad we finally have that cleared up. End of story. This should be the last comment on the bird thread. Good deal.
Nope that wasn't it. Looks like the thread is back on again. Your deal.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Berea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 6 hr Known Fact 131,906
new building going up. 12 hr Berea Girl 1
There aren't any good women left (Sep '12) Fri A woman scorned 60
Old Denny's at exit 77 Fri Tech 4
Berea College (Jun '13) Thu hillbilly university 43
Circle K Dec 18 sippigirl 3
New to area. Need a job ASAP Dec 15 Real1976 3
Berea Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Berea People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Berea News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Berea

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:09 pm PST

Yahoo! Sports 2:09PM
RT Eric Winston quickly settling in with Bengals
NBC Sports 3:14 PM
Losers of 13 of 14, Titans set for top draft pick - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
Broncos vs. Bengals: TV Info, Spread, Injury Updates, Game Time and More
Bleacher Report 9:00 AM
Start 'Em, Sit 'Em Week 16: Debating Difficult Fantasy Football Lineup Decisions
NBC Sports11:17 AM
Peyton Manning officially questionable for Monday night