Comments
1 - 20 of 21 Comments Last updated Apr 24, 2014
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Reminiscing

Lawrenceburg, KY

#1 Sep 26, 2011
Does any one remember this? My mom told me about a massacre on Bluebird ave about 30 years ago, said the guy went crazy and killed his whole family then rode up and down the street on a bike with the gun...any one know thier name?
yikes

Berea, KY

#2 Sep 26, 2011
dang! Never heard that one!
an idea

Berea, KY

#3 Sep 26, 2011
I remember this incident, its been more like 37-40
years ago! Their last name was "Kogerman"., or something like that!
Reminiscing

Lawrenceburg, KY

#4 Sep 27, 2011
There was also another where someone killed their Mother over a sandwich, I believe his last name was Reed. Anyone know about this?
Musicologist

Lexington, KY

#5 Sep 28, 2011
Reminiscing wrote:
There was also another where someone killed their Mother over a sandwich, I believe his last name was Reed. Anyone know about this?
Yes, that summer in Berea was a bloody one. Chris Kogerma killed his Mother, Father, and Grandmother, he was holed up inside the house on Bluebird. I assume he is still in a Psychiatric facility. Also, Sammy Reed came in the house for supper, asked his mom to fix him a sandwich, something happened, he snapped, and killed her. Earlier, he had threatened to cut her head off with a butcherknife. Also, out on Bobtown Stretch (1016), a man shot and killed his wife in their driveway. I can't remember the name though.
yikes

Berea, KY

#6 Sep 28, 2011
Reminiscing

Lawrenceburg, KY

#7 Sep 28, 2011
WOW. Thanks for the info. I hope all of them are still getting help. wow.

Since: Jun 11

Lexington, KY

#12 Mar 11, 2012
I remember when this happened. Me and a friend heard.a shot and ran over to Bluebird. Heard several more shots. After a while seen a State Trooper driving Chris away in a cruiser. He was setting in front passenger.seat moving his head up and down with a smile on his face. Went to the house his grandmother was laying in the shrubs in front of their house, his dad in front of his car in driveway. His mother was in the kitchen by the phone. She was calling to have Chris put in an institutions when he cut her throat. His grandmother got out of house and ran next door to get Judge Noss. She ran back to the house and when she went past the front window she was shot and landed in the shrubs. Judge Noss ran over but forgot his hat and turned around and he was shot but not killed. It was a crazy scene.
Death Bredon

Lexington, KY

#14 Apr 26, 2012
I was across the street at the time of the shooting, but I was just kid. I don't remember much other Judge Noss being on the scene.
peeps

Richmond, KY

#15 May 1, 2012
Andrew Kogerma

Athens, GA

#20 Jun 2, 2012
Hi folks

I am Andrew Kogerma. I was in college in Florida at the time of my parent's deaths in 1975--came back to Berea to bury my family and take care of all the legal matters. Sold the house on Bluebird in mid 80's but still visit my parent's graves whenever I can.

Not a day goes by that I dont think of them, and miss them. They were wonderful people who deserved to die peacefully of old age, not in such a horrible fashion. They loved my brother and knew how sick he was, but at that time our understanding of schizophrenia was so limited...

I have had no contact with Kris since Dec 1974. Last I heard he was homeless, having been discharged from the psych hospital as "not showing any symptoms". Mostly I feel sorry for him--for my parent's sake as much as anything.

Nicholasville, KY

#22 Jun 2, 2012
Andrew Kogerma wrote:
Hi folks
I am Andrew Kogerma. I was in college in Florida at the time of my parent's deaths in 1975--came back to Berea to bury my family and take care of all the legal matters. Sold the house on Bluebird in mid 80's but still visit my parent's graves whenever I can.
Not a day goes by that I dont think of them, and miss them. They were wonderful people who deserved to die peacefully of old age, not in such a horrible fashion. They loved my brother and knew how sick he was, but at that time our understanding of schizophrenia was so limited...
I have had no contact with Kris since Dec 1974. Last I heard he was homeless, having been discharged from the psych hospital as "not showing any symptoms". Mostly I feel sorry for him--for my parent's sake as much as anything.
Am still so sorry for your loss, I'm sure it's something you never really get over. Go Bless you

Nicholasville, KY

#23 Jun 2, 2012
Sorry, God Bless you
B Venters

Jacksonville, FL

#24 Aug 10, 2012
The Kogerma's (Herr and Frau Kogerma) were my German professors when I was at Berea. This tragedy occurred long after I graduated, but was extremely sad when I heard of it. I used to practice German with a couple other students on Sat mornings with Mrs Kogerma at their Bluebird Ave home. They were wonderful people and loved teaching. I learned so much more than German from them, esp WWII. I can never forget Frau Kogerma strolling stridently across the classroom across from the podium, declaring 'War is never justified.' They had suffered a lot during that time.
Reader

United States

#25 Aug 11, 2012
So was there actually a book written about this? If so what was the title
KY Now

London, KY

#27 Dec 8, 2012
Andrew Kogerma wrote:
Hi folks
Andrew--Herr Kogerma was my German professor and I also had the privilege to meet your mother. Herr Kogerma was a fine man; so kind. I am so sorry for what happened and have prayed for you many, many times. Keep strong.
Andrew Kogerma

Athens, GA

#28 Dec 9, 2012
KY Now wrote:
<quoted text>
Andrew--Herr Kogerma was my German professor and I also had the privilege to meet your mother. Herr Kogerma was a fine man; so kind. I am so sorry for what happened and have prayed for you many, many times. Keep strong.
Thank you so much--it means a lot to me to still hear how my parents impacted other peoples lives...
Curious

Columbus, OH

#30 Dec 28, 2012
Musicologist wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, that summer in Berea was a bloody one. Chris Kogerma killed his Mother, Father, and Grandmother, he was holed up inside the house on Bluebird. I assume he is still in a Psychiatric facility. Also, Sammy Reed came in the house for supper, asked his mom to fix him a sandwich, something happened, he snapped, and killed her. Earlier, he had threatened to cut her head off with a butcherknife. Also, out on Bobtown Stretch (1016), a man shot and killed his wife in their driveway. I can't remember the name though.
Ok now I'm kinda freaked out cause I used to live on Bluebird Ave. Do you know what the house numbers were for those murders?
Louise Liner Barrett

Saint Petersburg, FL

#31 Jun 18, 2013
Andrew, thinking about you and your inner strength. I remember the news of the deaths arriving to you in FL. Prayers to you.
Charles

Versailles, KY

#33 Mar 10, 2014
Reminiscing wrote:
Does any one remember this? My mom told me about a massacre on Bluebird ave about 30 years ago, said the guy went crazy and killed his whole family then rode up and down the street on a bike with the gun...any one know thier name?
I heard about this today, 3-10-14, from a man who had been a student of Dr and Mrs Kogerma in 1975. I was a student at Asbury College in Wilmore at that time. I was surprised that we didn't hear about it although it happened in June, so I guess we were on summer break.
Here's a follow-up news item from Bowling Green in August 2000.
http://news.google.com/newspapers...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Berea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 24 min LMS 1,249
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 42 min Limbertwig 151,106
i love knights pharmacy! (Aug '11) 2 hr ams brown 26
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 5 hr Horatio 130,467
where can you sell ginseng? (Sep '13) 10 hr Bannie 16
New to area. Need a job ASAP 11 hr Cindy 2
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 14 hr Reality 16,145
•••
•••
•••

Berea Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Berea People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Berea News, Events & Info