Fire fighting fee
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Gold Crest Resident

Waterloo, IA

#1 Oct 5, 2010
Has everyone seen this article on all the websites and channel 6 about the TN fire department and the fees? Thats terrible what happened to that guy those firemen need something done to them!! I get a thing in the mail here talking about a 75 dollar fee and billing me 500 dollars if I don't pay. Do we need to just pay a tax or soemthing. Who do I talk to - I know my brother pays taxes to a fire department why don't we?

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#2 Oct 5, 2010
Yeah they need their asses kicked for not putting out the fire!

You live right outside of Benton then, that's called the Pioneer fire area. All it is a bunch of people set up some incorporation and try to get you to pay 75 dollars. It's not even a real fire department. They give the money to the city of Benton and they put it in their general fund. Not sure all of it even goes to fire department.

Old truck or two is about all you get from them. I pay a tax to Fairdealing they have nice equipment. I was in a car wreck and they came and helped me until the ambulance got there.
Pretty Low

Pontiac, IL

#3 Oct 6, 2010
I heard they are airing their story on CNN sometime today...I say GO FOR IT,
spread the word!

I understand drawing the line at things...but to let someones home burn blows my mind.

What has happened to the human race...a sad example of what we have become ;(
The Problem

Frankfort, KY

#4 Oct 6, 2010
Problem is if you wait on people to pay for government services without being built in as a tax you'll never have anything. I hate it for the family there but they should have just paid the damn fee. I think it's wrong that they didn't put out the house but at the same time they didn't get that service.

I'm on the idea you should just pay a tax for fire departments. I know they're expensive and little fees just don't make it. Why do we even have donation or fee service around here? I pay taxes for everything whats the deal with that?
Ford

Pontiac, IL

#5 Oct 6, 2010
Just logged onto my AOL...this story was on my main page. Guess they have for sure gone national.

I agree he should have paid his fees...but good gosh out of kindness, empathy, sympathy...something...could they have not helped?

As AOL's article says......
"Professional, career firefighters shouldn't be forced to check a list before running out the door to see which homeowners have paid up, they get in their trucks and go."
Marshall Express

Frankfort, KY

#6 Oct 6, 2010
My neighbors house burned in Gold Crest a while back. I don't know that it would have helped, but there's not a fire station nearby. Why do I even pay 75 dollars if I don't even have a fire station close? It takes Benton forever to get out here, I can't understand why I would pay them if they're a City fire department. I want my money to go to helping my area, not pad the City's General Fund!
We need this fixed, there's too many houses out here and nobody close enough!
Danny Boy

Waterloo, IA

#7 Oct 6, 2010
If people in that area want a station around there they either need to get their money from the city or get with the city to build a station there. It is too far for Benton City. You could get a county department to annex. You're only a little ways from eno district they would help you. Doug redden is the chief ask him. A petition is a start. Either way get out of city government when u can!!!

Location hidden

#8 Oct 6, 2010
Dang Channel 6 had it on again! This is crazy, I don't know why they don't just vote in a tax to guarantee fire departments coming to the scenes. That is the ONLY way you can assure you get good equipment and people coming.

Gold Crest good luck prying that money from the City of Benton. You'd think they would be all about getting the people out there in the county what they need but you'd be wrong. They'll send you an old tanker and a pumper and a couple people. Thats all they send to fairdealing when they ask for help.
jack crow

Centertown, KY

#9 Oct 6, 2010
I am shocked about this whole ordeal! To think a fire department would respond to and just watch someones house burn. I live in this county and have my entire life of 40 years. I listen to the scanner and follow the news. I am curious what is the pioneer area it isnt a fire district thats for sure. the city of benton responds to calls in that area. and most of the people that live in that area dont pay. However every other citizen has to pay a fire tax for their respective district. i say keep the city in the city and disband pioneer and divide it up to the closest neighboring departments.
unknown

Utica, KY

#10 Oct 7, 2010
jack crow wrote:
I am shocked about this whole ordeal! To think a fire department would respond to and just watch someones house burn. I live in this county and have my entire life of 40 years. I listen to the scanner and follow the news. I am curious what is the pioneer area it isnt a fire district thats for sure. the city of benton responds to calls in that area. and most of the people that live in that area dont pay. However every other citizen has to pay a fire tax for their respective district. i say keep the city in the city and disband pioneer and divide it up to the closest neighboring departments.
is this pjh

Location hidden

#11 Oct 7, 2010
Pioneer is just a fake organization with a few members to call a "board" and they collect dues. They tried to do that crap out here past 408 and luckily at fairdealing we got that squashed. Its just a way for Benton to get a few extra dollars without expanding city limits, which wont happen. If you pay your money to pioneer, you're not getting city quality fire service, you're padding Benton's general fund. Its simply unfair to everyone - I pay my fire tax and so does 90 percent of the county - the dues need dropping and just pay the damn tax.
jack crow

Owensboro, KY

#12 Oct 7, 2010
unknown no I am no PJH. Im using my real name
Micheal Dangelo

United States

#13 Oct 7, 2010
I think the issue isn't as much about fire department performance as much as it is representation. Benton is a good fire department. However it's not fair to the city to provide service and burn their city funds for people not willing or unable to pay a tax. I'd love to not have to pay 110 dollars a year to my fire department but I also know they're there when and if I need them.
I think people in pioneer should pay that same fire tax we all do. It will allow people like gold crest the ability to possibly have a station close and provide the service they feel adequate with. Benton may like having that reaponsibility but I do agree there needs to be a station in that area somewhere.
This is not like south Fulton nor has anyone said it was, but the point is to simply eliminate the misgivings of a dues based fire system. It has been proven time and time again to be terribly ineffective at providing adequate services. The only way to change the system is get together and speak out.
jack crow

Frankfort, KY

#14 Oct 7, 2010
I agree if you live in this county you should not have to subscribe for fire protection. All fire departments in this county dont get the reconization they deserve or the support they need
got be be within 5 mile

White Plains, KY

#15 Oct 7, 2010
insurance companies will not accept any dept. that is not within 5 miles.

Location hidden

#16 Oct 7, 2010
There are like 10 departments in marshall county I'm sure they are all within that 5 mile range. I think over on the west side of the county you can see pioneers district from one of the fire stations there. They promised us years ago we'd get the insurance rating of Benton that was a lie anyways we didn't have a hydrant then still got the same as anyone else. got to be mike miller and city mayor politic crap
amen to jack crow
Danny Boy

Frankfort, KY

#17 Oct 8, 2010
I think Benton's putting in another fire station from what I hear down by Leon Riley - yet again another loss for the people out in the Pioneer Area.
my opinion

Murray, KY

#18 Oct 9, 2010
I hate that the family lost their house but I believe that it's the homeowners responsibility to property insure and protect his assests. That's no different than going to Las Vegas and betting your deed on a poker hand and then playing the victim role when you lose. When you gamble, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose big.
I also think it shows poor leadership for Obion County for allowing such a circumstance to exist. If they had been progressive enough to add a fire tax on the property tax bill (or something similar to that), the whole situation would have been avoided.
we just talkin

Hancock, MI

#19 Oct 9, 2010
I agree with "my opinion" that the county should have been progressive enough to enact a fire tax, however it is something that is left up to the voting public. If the county residents want fire protection the best way to guarantee that is with a fire tax. Some people see things that way and some don't. Most people see it as just another tax for something that they think they will never need.
the whole thing is a sad situation, but maybe this family's loss will spark enough outrage within the county to cause the voters to demand an opportunity to vote on adding a fire tax and the c reation of a fire dept outside the city limits.
just wondering

Destin, FL

#20 Oct 9, 2010
the men were just 54doing what they were told

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Benton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
easy girls in pirates cove 2 hr kyguy 11
Outlaw ATV Riders Control The County at Night 7 hr Big Jack 18
which liquor store will close first? 10 hr Jameson 16
Democrat or Republican which is better 19 hr john brown 10
Billy Mull Sat Jason 7
New to the area Fri jesus christ 3
Why my post getting taken off Thu HHH 7

Benton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance