we need to vote again in three more y...

we need to vote again in three more years

Posted in the Benton Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
beer money

Murray, KY

#1 Jul 18, 2012
Yes we do
Disgruntled

Pontiac, IL

#2 Jul 18, 2012
Sure, but the results will be the same. No way anyone takes on a county-wide vote on this again in 3, 6 or 9 years. What will happen is Hardin or one of the other cities that did have enough yes votes will hold their own referendum like Calvert did a few years ago. Much easier to do it that way. But county-wide? No way. Won't pass.
....

United States

#3 Jul 19, 2012
beer money wrote:
Yes we do
yeah, because it's a serious issue that we need to waste tax money on another special election for right?
just sayin

Rutherford, TN

#4 Jul 19, 2012
If it would have been by-the-drink I would have voted yes.
....

Adel, GA

#5 Jul 19, 2012
just sayin wrote:
If it would have been by-the-drink I would have voted yes.
I'd vote for that. That would bring in restaurants. However, it shouldn't be wasted on a special election. Put it on the general election ballet. Maybe then all the first time voters that don't have a clue as to what is going on in politics will get involved. In other words pay attention what each candidate states for, how they spend tax money, which special interest groups support them, that kind of stuff they should've been paying attention to before now. Maybe they we will see progress!
wowser

Brownsville, TN

#6 Jul 19, 2012
just sayin wrote:
If it would have been by-the-drink I would have voted yes.
Why?

You feel it's "OK" to drink it out and drive, somehow that is better than buying it and drinking it at your home? The "moist votes" make no sense to me, the 70/30 rule is asinine and puts much too much on the businesses , a "wet" vote does away with all of that, people get to choose , more businesses want to move in because no stupid rules (like 70/30) just sayin'
Tommy

Albany, GA

#7 Jul 19, 2012
If you do it again, be smart about it and do it in a city, instead of the whole county. Just look at how well Murray came out because someone thought ahead.
Im not worried

Pontiac, IL

#8 Jul 19, 2012
I'm looking forward to seeing what it does for the people at Murray.
sukit

Adel, GA

#9 Jul 19, 2012
Im not worried wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing what it does for the people at Murray.
Maybe they'll get a trolley?
nope

Benton, KY

#10 Jul 19, 2012
i can see the individual towns who voted yes to go wet in three years. I could even see the the Moor's area incorporating so they could go wet. County wide vote will probably have to wait another 10 years or so. Just my opinion
just sayin

Rutherford, TN

#12 Jul 20, 2012
wowser wrote:
Why?
You feel it's "OK" to drink it out and drive, somehow that is better than buying it and drinking it at your home? The "moist votes" make no sense to me, the 70/30 rule is asinine and puts much too much on the businesses , a "wet" vote does away with all of that, people get to choose , more businesses want to move in because no stupid rules (like 70/30) just sayin'
Who said I was the one driving? You sure do like jumping to conclusions! We can't have a bar, so you would have to live with the 70/30 rule (or whatever the ratio is) regardless. All we're disagreeing about is local package sales, and I can just as easily drink it at home if I buy it in Paducah or Murray as I can if I buy it in Benton.

The argument that voting wet cuts down on DUIs applies to liquor by the drink, not package sales. If I want to hand the keys to my wife and order a beer with my pizza at Pizza Hut, or have a beer with my Mexican food, that would be great. If someone driving has a few drinks and needs a ride home, it's easy to catch a ride and go back for your car the next day if it's a local restaurant. Not so easy from Paducah or Murray. Perhaps that's why DUIs decrease.

Picking up package when I'm in Paducah or Murray isn't a hardship. I often make trips to Lowe's or the movie theatre, so I can just pick it up then. While it would be nice for the revenue to stay in county, I am troubled by the idea of Fast Eddies and Moors selling cases and cases of beer to boaters. Having Moors serve alcohol in their restaurant would be better than it is now since they would have more control over rowdy drunks since they could cut them off faster. Seems like every time I'm at Moors in the evening there are some loud obnoxious drunks nearby with a cooler on the floor.

By the drink would allow us to develop an alcohol control board and we could see how responsible they were. By the drink would attract restaurants. The only business that package sales attracts is a liquor store. I'm not about to vote to turn the whole thing over to Mike Miller and hope for the best! Maybe if I saw there was a responsible control board and by the drink was going smoothly, I would change my mind.
wowser

Brownsville, TN

#13 Jul 20, 2012
As usual totally uninformed and even worse - WRONG

Moist has the 70/30 rule in Ky - Wet does not... before you go "acting smart" and hoping to "sound smart" correcting folks at least know what you're talking about before posting and hitting the "reply" button......

BTW (since clearly you have no clue) WET allows "by the drink" as well as package sales..
just sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said I was the one driving? You sure do like jumping to conclusions! We can't have a bar, so you would have to live with the 70/30 rule (or whatever the ratio is) regardless. All we're disagreeing about is local package sales, and I can just as easily drink it at home if I buy it in Paducah or Murray as I can if I buy it in Benton.
The argument that voting wet cuts down on DUIs applies to liquor by the drink, not package sales. If I want to hand the keys to my wife and order a beer with my pizza at Pizza Hut, or have a beer with my Mexican food, that would be great. If someone driving has a few drinks and needs a ride home, it's easy to catch a ride and go back for your car the next day if it's a local restaurant. Not so easy from Paducah or Murray. Perhaps that's why DUIs decrease.
Picking up package when I'm in Paducah or Murray isn't a hardship. I often make trips to Lowe's or the movie theatre, so I can just pick it up then. While it would be nice for the revenue to stay in county, I am troubled by the idea of Fast Eddies and Moors selling cases and cases of beer to boaters. Having Moors serve alcohol in their restaurant would be better than it is now since they would have more control over rowdy drunks since they could cut them off faster. Seems like every time I'm at Moors in the evening there are some loud obnoxious drunks nearby with a cooler on the floor.
By the drink would allow us to develop an alcohol control board and we could see how responsible they were. By the drink would attract restaurants. The only business that package sales attracts is a liquor store. I'm not about to vote to turn the whole thing over to Mike Miller and hope for the best! Maybe if I saw there was a responsible control board and by the drink was going smoothly, I would change my mind.
wowser

Brownsville, TN

#14 Jul 20, 2012
I'm glad it's not a "hardship" for YOU to pick it up "some other place", but you Do realize MC is losing a whole bunch of money it shouldn't be losing? It is and and never was about "hardship" of getting it,(the opposite is in fact the point), Marshall County certainly is losing a bunch of $$$$ they NEED and for What?

Folks still buy liquor and other adult beverages ; other places rake in that money NOT keeping it locally, Murray was smart and did what made sense, they're tired of their $$ going to TN., Fulton, and Paducah... They went moist some 10 years ago and learned the TRUTH that many already knew and kept trying to explain.... people ARE going to drink "being dry" has never and will never stop that, IF folks can get it "down the road" and are doing exactly that WHY would you NOT want to keep that money in YOUR local economy?

Face it, that does not make sense at all
wowser

Brownsville, TN

#15 Jul 20, 2012
is Not about (that should say)
hello

Benton, KY

#16 Jul 20, 2012
wowser you need a job bad. all I see is your post everywhere about this issue that has already been voted on. Get over it. You complain about the churches, where we voted, how we voted, tax exempt status etc. If you dont quit worry your going to get a ulcer and alcohol is really bad for ulcers.
just sayin

Brownsville, TN

#17 Jul 21, 2012
wowser wrote:
As usual totally uninformed and even worse - WRONG
Moist has the 70/30 rule in Ky - Wet does not... before you go "acting smart" and hoping to "sound smart" correcting folks at least know what you're talking about before posting and hitting the "reply" button......
BTW (since clearly you have no clue) WET allows "by the drink" as well as package sales..
<quoted text>
I am not uninformed. I understand that wet includes by the drink. Even if we voted wet, the food rule would apply for everything except beer since we don't have a city large enough for a license for what most people would call a bar. You need to know what YOU are talking about before acting like an ahole. Other than the possibility of a beer bar and special event (e.g. Tater Day) beer sales, we are primarily talking about two things: package sales and by the drink in a restaurant.
just sayin

Brownsville, TN

#18 Jul 21, 2012
wowser wrote:
I'm glad it's not a "hardship" for YOU to pick it up "some other place", but you Do realize MC is losing a whole bunch of money it shouldn't be losing? It is and and never was about "hardship" of getting it,(the opposite is in fact the point), Marshall County certainly is losing a bunch of $$$$ they NEED and for What?
Folks still buy liquor and other adult beverages ; other places rake in that money NOT keeping it locally, Murray was smart and did what made sense, they're tired of their $$ going to TN., Fulton, and Paducah... They went moist some 10 years ago and learned the TRUTH that many already knew and kept trying to explain.... people ARE going to drink "being dry" has never and will never stop that, IF folks can get it "down the road" and are doing exactly that WHY would you NOT want to keep that money in YOUR local economy?
Face it, that does not make sense at all
Marshall County is losing a lot of revenue by not having a lot of things. I go to Murray to skate. I go to Murray or Paducah to take my family to a movie. I go to Mayfield to go bowling.

Marshall County is different from many counties because of the lake. By the drink would enhance the environment at Kentucky Lake. Package sales out of the marinas would have a negative impact. My family fishes, skis, and boats on Kentucky Lake. I know alcohol is out there, and dry won't stop it, but I'd prefer this place not be known as a place on Kentucky Lake where it's easy to stock up on package liquor.
Tom Sim

Kendallville, IN

#19 Jul 21, 2012
It will happen again in a couple more years, The vote was alot closer than I thought it would be. Marshall County does lose out on alot not voting yes, that Lake is a resource alot of places dont have.

I'm not from here, been here 5 years. Everywhere I have lived in the past has been "wet". I like Marshall County and dont plan on moving anywhere.

But I dont understand the point of making Alcohol sales illegal. Unless drinking or buying Alcohol is illegal everywhere. What exactly is it going to stop? Nothing.

I think its because most people that live here, grew up here and I dont think I realize how big of a change that would be to them, I saw it from the other side.

But the majority spoke, so looks like it will be a few more years.
wowser

Brownsville, TN

#20 Jul 21, 2012
WRONG
'
Under the MOIST rule is where the 70/30 rule applies (WHY it has to be on the ballot that way), under WET there is no such rule. Also you don't have to have the size to open a "bar" , you can serve food and drink. Where did you come up with such ideas?

As for "what you prefer" well GOOD FOR YOU (LOL) while the dry vote may be what YOU prefer, the fact is ,that MC and the lakes area is losing tourism and other $$$ because of folks not seeing the "big picture" .

Some folks keep saying "Well, I go to Paducah or Murray anyway for "this or that" , yet they don't seem to grasp that they might be spending their hard earned money "at home" IF they worked for progress instead of accepting what needs to change
wowser

Brownsville, TN

#21 Jul 21, 2012
You're passing on misinformation and my pointing it out and telling folks the truth (in your opinion) makes me "acting like an a-hole" that's RICH!!! LOL

Ky law is clear a city has to be a certain size to have a "bar" restaurants can serve drinks (liquor) in a wet town/city , MOIST towns/cities can sell adult beverages also BUT are bound by the rule that 70% of sales must come from FOOD sales, 30% can be from drink sales. When that almost never happens they get fined. IF you don't really know all of this, I don't know what to tell you, other than don't be speaking about someone else when it is you who is wrong.

I'm not sure IF you really don't know the truth OR you DO know it but yet you don't want others to know it.

What I DO KNOW is the 70/30 would NOT be good for the lakes area of MC . Yet you say if it were a "moist vote" you'd support that but didn't support the wet vote? Hmmm

While MC lives in the dark ages , lives off fear mongering, Fulton, Paducah, and now Murray will enjoy YOUR money from MC folks , it really shouldn't be this way, but it is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Benton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
which liquor store will close first? 2 hr Lick her stores 15
Billy Mull 5 hr Loser 3
Cynthia Edmonson (Nov '13) 16 hr Anonymous 3
Kids saved in creek 18 hr Dustin 10
Jobs gone 20 hr miller 23
Hidden spots in LBL? (Feb '16) 23 hr The Tall Cool One 5
No way it's true Tue looker 2

Benton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Benton Mortgages