First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Headhunter

United States

#1 Jun 17, 2011
Just wondering how well you other headhunters are doing out there with all the rain and water dropping. I'd like to hear some story's of your latest finds. Unfortunately I don't get to go much anymore due to working swingshift and I don't have a boat. Maybe y'all can cheer me up.
Flintlknapper 270

United States

#2 Jun 17, 2011
I love finding artifacts myself. Over the last few years it seems just about everybody else does also. I've gotten so tired of getting up early and wasting my gas to find some points only to find nothing but footprints. There isn't one place you can go on the rivers anymore that everybody and their brothers, moms, cousins, aunts and uncles don't know about. It's ridiculous and it seems to me that there may have been some people with big mouths out there that gave away site locations. So now days for a little revenge I've been making arrowhead reproductions and tossing them on sites. It's more fun than walking over people's tracks all day and not finding crap. Anyways, hope they like it when they try and sell or display somewhere and an expert examines a piece and says it's a fake. Lol so if you find anything you better go get it checked out. Just saying.....
Headhunter

United States

#3 Jun 17, 2011
Gee thanks for the info. That's kind of a mood killer. How long have you been doing it and where at?
Flintknapper270

United States

#4 Jun 17, 2011
Mainly on the Tennessee and Cumberland rivers. More so on the Cumberland. My advice to you is if you find one that looks to good to be true then it probably is, although I do pitch out ones that I've broke during making and ones that are crude due to poor quality of the material I'm working with. I also have perfected aging the looks of them so to an untrained eye it looks old. Ive been doing it for the last 3 years so more than likely everybody that hunts our local rivers owns one of my pieces :) I got the idea from an old man I met on the banks one day who was carrying big rocks. When I asked what he was doing he said collating flint for someone to make arrowheads. He then added that he placed fakes out there because if his aggravation. So no telling how long that's been going on. My specialties are Kirk points, pinetrees, buck creeks and big sandys. I've also been working on gorgets and pebble pendants for fun. Happy hunting :)
old tom

Paducah, KY

#5 Jun 17, 2011
Thatís could be the reason that so many people are looking for them. Most people just show them to their family and friends then throw them in a drawer so they donít know their fakes. It is enough to keep them coming back and trying to find new places. There friends they show them to will be out there with them next time. So you and the old man are the reason they are so many people looking for them. But it is a good hobby and it is good for family and friends to get out in nature so maybe youíre doing some good instead of just being a prick.
eyeryone

Murray, KY

#6 Jun 17, 2011
we used to go to the banks of the river around calvert city and dig in the banks and find arrowheads and lots of broken worked pieces,
Headhunter

United States

#7 Jun 17, 2011
Yeah the banks around Calvert and possum trot are pretty good. The Tennessee river has produced far more finds for me than anywhere else. I've heard alot about walking creeks but never tried before. Does anybody know if it's okay to dig as long as it's not a burial site? Just wondered. I don't see what harm it would be to scratch around a bit. I'm not talking shovels and stuff.
loe

Kirksey, KY

#8 Jun 17, 2011
old tom wrote:
Thatís could be the reason that so many people are looking for them. Most people just show them to their family and friends then throw them in a drawer so they donít know their fakes. It is enough to keep them coming back and trying to find new places. There friends they show them to will be out there with them next time. So you and the old man are the reason they are so many people looking for them. But it is a good hobby and it is good for family and friends to get out in nature so maybe youíre doing some good instead of just being a prick.
Prick? I've been hunting for Points, and other artifacts off and on for 40 years, and never, ever herd of anyone doing such a crapy thing to other hunters. I guess my question is WHY, do you just have too much time on your hands, or what?
Please stop, treat other people as you would want other people to treat you.
Thank you.
eyeryone

Murray, KY

#9 Jun 17, 2011
i also heard islands in the lake or river are good places to hunt arrowheads,Dr Ford who lives on the big hill on the left before you get where the old s -curve used to be out about half a mile or so past pizza hut in benton found arrowheads by the dozens when the built there house years ago. so the high land around clarks river refuge probably has arrowheads on it also but i dont know if they will allow you to hunt them!!
rock gitter

United States

#10 Jun 17, 2011
there is a site in burkholder bottomns on refuge pottery and more u can see the mound its off the tracks then to the left is he wetland full of artifacts be carefull not to get caught
Headhunter

Philadelphia, PA

#11 Jun 19, 2011
Where is burkholder bottoms?
concerned

Clifty, KY

#12 Jun 19, 2011
Burkholder is on Clarks River NWR and hunting any artifacts there is a federal crime. Believe me, they will prosecute!
Headhunter

Philadelphia, PA

#13 Jun 19, 2011
Oh nevermind that then. I just wondered where a good place to hunt would be.
HonestJohn

Hopkinsville, KY

#14 Jun 20, 2011
I can't imagine being so mean spirited and cold hearted. I surely hope you change your mind and stop trying to deceive people for your own pleasure.
Flintknapper270 wrote:
Mainly on the Tennessee and Cumberland rivers. More so on the Cumberland. My advice to you is if you find one that looks to good to be true then it probably is, although I do pitch out ones that I've broke during making and ones that are crude due to poor quality of the material I'm working with. I also have perfected aging the looks of them so to an untrained eye it looks old. Ive been doing it for the last 3 years so more than likely everybody that hunts our local rivers owns one of my pieces :) I got the idea from an old man I met on the banks one day who was carrying big rocks. When I asked what he was doing he said collating flint for someone to make arrowheads. He then added that he placed fakes out there because if his aggravation. So no telling how long that's been going on. My specialties are Kirk points, pinetrees, buck creeks and big sandys. I've also been working on gorgets and pebble pendants for fun. Happy hunting :)
benton hunter

Mayfield, KY

#15 Jun 20, 2011
Sounds like to me this person is jealous because they can't find them. What a loser they must be GET A LIFE!!
Honestjohn

United States

#16 Jun 20, 2011
I think you are right.
benton hunter wrote:
Sounds like to me this person is jealous because they can't find them. What a loser they must be GET A LIFE!!
Headhunter

United States

#17 Jun 21, 2011
I agree with all of you guys. Flintknapper is definitely cold hearted. That's pretty mean to do to people just because he can't get up out of bed early enough to beat the bank traffic. Some people are just mean.
rocks

Benton, KY

#18 Jun 22, 2011
thats awesome!!!! i have been to a few places and been putting fake rocks where i know a couple of girls are hunting. my buddy give them to me and i think it is hilarious cause they think they are finding good pieces.
real deal

United States

#19 Jun 22, 2011
i know people that put fakes down at happy hollow
benton hunter

Mayfield, KY

#20 Jun 22, 2011
haha! sounds like to me you are jealous of these "girls" they must be showing the men up! freaking hilarious

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Benton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
hardin or gilbertsville 1 hr Really 2
duke 1 hr haha 2
Best subway in Marshall 2 hr Chicken 5
Where is Ali 2 hr Lineman 10
Hoosier basketball 3 hr Just saying 2
almond joy, heath, payday 4 hr chaw 1
Obama 5 hr The worst 3

Winter Storm Watch for Marshall County was issued at March 02 at 4:22PM EST

Benton Dating
Find my Match