Seasoning on the Square

Posted in the Benton Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Katie Karcher Troy Ray

Davenport, IA

#1 Jul 11, 2011
Coming soon!!! We hope to open around the first of August. We are currently renovating the building and doing some minor updates so that it has a fresh new look. It will be bright, cheery, and enjoyable for all! Both of us graduated from the Culinary Arts Management program at Rend Lake College a few years ago. Our backgrounds consist of working from small places like Allen's Cafe, the Southern Illinois Miners baseball stadium, Marys, Lombard, and most recently, the newest winery in Carterville, Walkers Bluff. Our dreams have always been to open our own restaurant, and thanks to a bunch of really great people, our opportunity is now here!! We can't wait to bring our services and unique food to Benton. We plan to keep the menu fairly simple, but always changing. As chefs, we want to take advantage of all the freshest ingredients available and keep our prices reasonable!! Our plan is to eventually be able to serve beer and wine, but we won't have it when we first open. Let us know what you would like to see on the menu!
Snipe Hunter

New Memphis, IL

#2 Jul 12, 2011
Good luck! I REALLY pray it all goes well for you. We need a good place to eat. I'll give it a try!
getmoving

Marion, IL

#3 Jul 12, 2011
How exciting!!!!! The BEST of LUCK to you!!! May your restaurant be a GIANT success!!!!!
Ogma

Stonefort, IL

#4 Jul 12, 2011
Katie Karcher Troy Ray wrote:
Coming soon!!! We hope to open around the first of August. We are currently renovating the building and doing some minor updates so that it has a fresh new look. It will be bright, cheery, and enjoyable for all! Both of us graduated from the Culinary Arts Management program at Rend Lake College a few years ago. Our backgrounds consist of working from small places like Allen's Cafe, the Southern Illinois Miners baseball stadium, Marys, Lombard, and most recently, the newest winery in Carterville, Walkers Bluff. Our dreams have always been to open our own restaurant, and thanks to a bunch of really great people, our opportunity is now here!! We can't wait to bring our services and unique food to Benton. We plan to keep the menu fairly simple, but always changing. As chefs, we want to take advantage of all the freshest ingredients available and keep our prices reasonable!! Our plan is to eventually be able to serve beer and wine, but we won't have it when we first open. Let us know what you would like to see on the menu!
Kind of refreshing to see actual passion for food, rather than a family of people from Mexico or China that just need to pay their families way

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#5 Jul 12, 2011
Yes, this is great. We need a nice place to eat in Benton, besides fast food junk food that makes everyone fat as a blimp.
not tellin

Berwyn, IL

#6 Jul 12, 2011
blah blah that spot on the square has gone through so many Italian restaurants.
Whistledick

Carbondale, IL

#7 Jul 12, 2011
Imbred wrote:
Yes, this is great. We need a nice place to eat in Benton, besides fast food junk food that makes everyone fat as a blimp.
I don't think they're going to have possum, but you can ask.

Since: Mar 10

benton il

#8 Jul 12, 2011
I wish you the best of luck! We need a place that serves good food and not fast food! I think the biggest reason that businesses in Benton fail is because they are not very inviting to the general public. You need good food of course, and hopefully not good for the first week and then hit or miss the rest of the time. sense It's a bistro I'm assuming you will serve mostly plate dinners, which is exactly what we need in this town. Good or bad this is the place to find out how your doing!!!! good luck and I hope you make a million.
Katie Karcher Troy Ray

Davenport, IA

#9 Jul 12, 2011
Thanks everyone for all of the support!! We are so excited to finally get to start our dreams! We do plan on having plate dinners. We are going to have ribeye steak on the menu and probably do prime rib specials on the weekends. We keep hearing that everyone wants a good steak! For lunch we plan on keeping it very simple, fast, and affordable. We will do some sandwiches, pastas, and we are keeping the salad bar! We will do pick up orders, but not delivery to start out. If anyone has any suggestions on what they would like to see, please feel free to let us know! We are excited to hear from you!

Since: Mar 10

benton il

#10 Jul 12, 2011
If you make it for your family, I'd say that's a good place to start the menu! I'd like to see a wide variety but with a few staples. Good seasonings I hope that's why it's in your name. Most places have no flavor to their food, afraid to use salt or pepper even! again good luck!!
Thumbs Up

New Memphis, IL

#11 Jul 13, 2011
Just keep in mind your in Franklin County and keep your prices reasonable. Overpricing will kill you. If you DO have higher priced items--keep the quality high and portions good. Most people don't mind paying for quality. A former restaurant in town was overpriced and their quality lacked and now they are out of business. Also, LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS AND ANY COMPLAINTS THEY HAVE AND REACT TO THOSE COMPLAINTS. I am sure you are already aware of this. As far as menu-- chili, beef stew, cabbage rolls, fried Spam sandwich-(don't laugh, a lot of us were raised on Spam), a good BLT, homemade soups, A TRUE Italian beef on a hard roll, Philly steak sandwich. I wish you nothing but the best!
Johnathon

Carterville, IL

#12 Jul 13, 2011
Welcome to Benton. Good luck to you on your business venture. I look forward to trying your food.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#13 Jul 13, 2011
Great steaks, best meat in town is sold at that store just a few blocks east of you, not joking.
SOUPS, no where in town that I know of has any good soups.
a good Ceaser Salad.
good BBQ Ribs, mashed potatos,
a GOOD buffet would be good for lunch time on certain days.
If you ever do breakfast have some good eggs benedict , waffles, and bisq and gravy.
some big thick pork chops
red beans and rice
ham and beans
damn i am getting hungry now
Thumbs Up

New Memphis, IL

#14 Jul 13, 2011
I agree with ham and beans--navy, not pinto....corn bread, thick slab of onions and fried taters..
just curious

United States

#15 Jul 13, 2011
Corn nuggets on the appetizers...NO ONE has those but harbor lite...you would be surprised how many ppl like those.

Since: Apr 11

Mcleansboro, IL

#16 Jul 13, 2011
Dang, you all are making me hungry!!

I agree with a good caesar salad. I love them, but not many places have good ones.
Katie Karcher Troy Ray

Davenport, IA

#17 Jul 13, 2011
You all are making us hungry now!! I will say that we take pride in our food. We learned in school how to season food properly, but you all will be the judges. Troy is the king of soups, so get your hopes up!! We are going to have a simple menu, with staple items, but then have specials all the time. Things such as ribs and ham and beans will be specials- we will only make so much, and when it's gone, it's gone. I specialize really in baking, so we eventually want to make our own bread for sandwiches. We will also offer healthier alternatives such as whole wheat pasta and fresh vegetables and fresh fruit as sides. I have a real problem with using artificial ingredients. Although you can't always avoid it, we will do our best to use whole foods. We also eventually want to use local meats and produce. If anyone knows where we can get local meat or produce, licensed to sell, please let us know.
Thumbs Up

New Memphis, IL

#18 Jul 14, 2011
http://www.cusumanoandsons.com/
NOT locally grown--but worth checking into if you can't get local
Thumbs Up

New Memphis, IL

#19 Jul 14, 2011
Katie Karcher Troy Ray

Valdosta, GA

#20 Jul 14, 2011
This is perfect, thank you so much!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Benton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Best bar in town 33 min NoBail 31
Destiny Mitchell 34 min Ricko 12
Who are the toughest guys in benton 36 min Bodacious 56
Bonzfire 43 min Bodacious 42
Mariah Mcwhoreland 45 min Donny 17
donald j trump (Nov '16) 47 min Winner 1,105
Brian Phesant Guilty!!!!!!! 6 hr Wondering 1

Benton Jobs

Personal Finance

Benton Mortgages