Ewing Grade school???
Let the Subs Teach

United States

#82 Jan 6, 2013
I am not worried about the caliber of the subs coming in. I am sure they are the same ones that go in and teach our children when the teachers are unavailable now (due to dr. appts, deaths, sick children of their own). I also feel confident knowing that the Teacher Aides will still be there as they have the best education known, on the job training. Alot of the aides have been there longer than the teachers getting ready to strike. I know the subs care for our children because their alot of their children also attend the school. What I am worried about is the moral of the school during and after the strike. We need to get our egos out of this and do what is right for our childrens' education.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#83 Jan 6, 2013
Let the Subs Teach wrote:
I am not worried about the caliber of the subs coming in. I am sure they are the same ones that go in and teach our children when the teachers are unavailable now (due to dr. appts, deaths, sick children of their own). I also feel confident knowing that the Teacher Aides will still be there as they have the best education known, on the job training. Alot of the aides have been there longer than the teachers getting ready to strike. I know the subs care for our children because their alot of their children also attend the school. What I am worried about is the moral of the school during and after the strike. We need to get our egos out of this and do what is right for our childrens' education.
You seem certain they'll be using the same subs, or are you just assuming that? Will there be enough good subs to cover all the classes? Who's to say all the aides will come to work, some could support the teachers... There are way to many variables to be sure or even confident the teaching level will be on par with normal.
Back to reality

West Frankfort, IL

#84 Jan 6, 2013
Why don't we just call in some scabs when the power goes out, or some "subs" as a first responders, or subs to handle our bank accounts etc.
rite

United States

#85 Jan 6, 2013
If i was a teacher aid i would be afraid not to support the teachers. Do to the fact that the Principal maybe not at first but soon enough will replace you for someone else! I'm sure everyone who is not a teacher, is afraid to say what they really think of all this.
rite

United States

#86 Jan 6, 2013
With that being said unless Mrs Ing sincerely wants everyone who helps keep the school going going. I don't think anyone will show ,that really needs a job fear of losing it.This will be sad for the kids if it comes to this.They should at least be able to see some familiar faces!

Location hidden

#87 Jan 6, 2013
Back to reality wrote:
Why don't we just call in some scabs when the power goes out, or some "subs" as a first responders, or subs to handle our bank accounts etc.
I can only hope most people wouldn't want that to happen. But knowing that alot of people have a bad perception of unions already i can only imagine they don't care, and getting on here and calling them scabs isn't going to help that image...
Let the Subs Teach

Florence, AL

#88 Jan 6, 2013
I don't believe the teachers' aides, principal, janitors, bus drivers fall under the union so if the school is open I would think they would have to go to their jobs or risk losing them whether they support the teachers or not. I am sure they would love the opportunity to walk out if they didn't get a raise but that is not an option for most people. Of course things will not be normal but whose to say it won't be ok. Alot of people sub because they don't want to work full-time but they are fully capable of doing the job. Plus the state mandates what the teachers must teach our children so I am sure this can be handled just fine by subs/teachers' aides who do have been doing this job for years. Plus look at the name Substitue Teacher, they can sub until the teachers decide to end this strike and do what is right for our children.

Location hidden

#89 Jan 6, 2013
I don't believe the teachers' aides, principal, janitors, bus drivers fall under the union so if the school is open I would think they would have to go to their jobs or risk losing them whether they support the teachers or not. I am sure they would love the opportunity to walk out if they didn't get a raise but that is not an option for most people. Of course things will not be normal but whose to say it won't be ok. Alot of people sub because they don't want to work full-time but they are fully capable of doing the job. Plus the state mandates what the teachers must teach our children so I am sure this can be handled just fine by subs/teachers' aides who do have been doing this job for years. Plus look at the name Substitue Teacher, they can sub until the teachers decide to end this strike and do what is right for our children.
If the teachers strike it will be because BOTH sides can't come to an agreement, and as such all of the blame should not fall on the teachers, the school has it's fair share of blame shoulder... And you could be right about the school still functioning correctly, but then again it might not... It's always better to hope for the best but prepare for worst!
another parent

Mount Vernon, MO

#90 Jan 6, 2013
I'm not overly concerned about the subs, myself. I'm sure they are all well-educated people, as I believe you need a Bachelor's degree to sub. Just because you are a sub does not make you any less smart than the regular teacher.

What about that story of the Honeywell plant in Metropolis when the union workers were locked out a couple years ago, and the company brought in non-union temporary workers to keep things going, and it was reported that production went up like 50% with the temp workers there? Whether that's true or not, my point is that having subs won't necessarily be a bad thing.
Facts

West Frankfort, IL

#91 Jan 6, 2013
another parent wrote:
I'm not overly concerned about the subs, myself. I'm sure they are all well-educated people, as I believe you need a Bachelor's degree to sub. Just because you are a sub does not make you any less smart than the regular teacher.
What about that story of the Honeywell plant in Metropolis when the union workers were locked out a couple years ago, and the company brought in non-union temporary workers to keep
things going, and it was reported that production went up like 50% with the temp workers there?
Whether that's true or not, my point is that
having subs won't necessarily be a bad
thing.
Completely false.

Location hidden

#92 Jan 6, 2013
another parent wrote:
What about that story of the Honeywell plant in Metropolis when the union workers were locked out a couple years ago, and the company brought in non-union temporary workers to keep things going, and it was reported that production went up like 50% with the temp workers there? Whether that's true or not, my point is that having subs won't necessarily be a bad thing.
Just because someone is well educated doesn't mean that they'll be a good teacher... The story about Honeywell is exactly that a STORY, more propaganda to make the companies image better, and the workers worse...
Let the Subs Teach

Morocco, IN

#93 Jan 6, 2013
Holdthepull wrote:
<quoted text>
If the teachers strike it will be because BOTH sides can't come to an agreement, and as such all of the blame should not fall on the teachers, the school has it's fair share of blame shoulder... And you could be right about the school still functioning correctly, but then again it might not... It's always better to hope for the best but prepare for worst!
This is the exact wording from the Last, Best, FIANL Package Offer presented to the Ewing-Northern Federation of Teachers

Unfortunately, the Union leadership continues to maintain its postion ob higher salary costs, which is not affordable during hese difficult economic times.
The Eing-Northern Grade School District No. 115's financial crisis is real. Either the Union does not understand the financial crisis or it refuses to accept the financial crisis as a reality.

FACT: the Distic will lose over $181,112.00 in revenue this year along, due to the STATE's failure to meet its financial obligation to the District. YES ILLINOIS IS NOT PAYING WHAT IS OWED TO OUR SCHOOOL.

FACT: The District currently pays 100% of the teachers' pension contributions to the Illinois Teachers' Retirement System (TRS)- teachers PAY NOTHING toward their retirement pension.

FACT: Many school disticts thoughout Illinois are running deficits or placing greater financial burden on taxpayers (ME AND YOU) by BORROWING funds or raising tax rates. The District #115 Board remains steadfast in its resolve to operate the District with the FUNDS AVAILABLE and PROVIDE OUR STUDENTS an opportunity to learn in a safe and orderly environment.

FACT: The Board will continue to negotiate a fair and reasonalbe contract with the Union, but it will do so within the following parameters:

1. Not asking taxpayers (ME AND YOU) for a tax increase since families are struggling to make ends meet; (MAKE ENDS MEET)

2. Stabilizing expenditures where the District does not spend more than it takes in!!! WOW! What a great concept!!!

LAST OFFER
1. 2012-2013 School Year: Teachers will advance one step on the salary schedule and move across the salary schedule if they EARNED additional education credit.
COST: Approximately $12,265.06. ALL TEAHCERS WILL RECEIVE A SALARY INCREASE, ranging from 3,77% to 1.25%, depending on where they are currently on the salary schedule.

2. 2013-2014 School Year: Teachers will not move on the salary schedule, but each teacher WILL REACEIVE A 1% BONUS PAYMENT off the salary schedule.

COST:$7,254.23

UNION'S LAST OFFER:
1. 2012-2012 School Year: The Union is demanding that teachers move one step on the salary schedule and move across the salary schedule if they EARNED additional education credit, plus and additional 1.5% increase on each teacher's salary.

COST: Approximately $23,028.06

2. 2013-2014 School Year: The Union is DEMANDING that teachers move one step on the salary schedule and move across the salary schedule if they EARNED additional education credit, plus an additional 1.5% increase on each teacher's salary.

COST: Approximatley $27,265.72

TOTAL TWO YEAR COMPOUNDING SALARY COST:$73,321.84

Sounds to me the Teachers are responsible for the strike not the Board.

Location hidden

#94 Jan 6, 2013
<quoted text>
Board.
So was that edited so wonderfully by you? because if you found it like that it's laughable at best... Just as i said before the board has just as much responsibility in failed negotiations as the teachers. It's called a contract negotiation, they negotiate... think of it like your buying a car, car salesman goes high you go low. Other than the tacky additions to the text, it looks like every contract negotiation i've been in, empolyer goes low and tries to take, union goes high and asks for more, that's where you find the middle ground. Without getting hands on there entire budget you don't know what money they do and don't have. The last time i heard an employer saying they had no money for raises and wanted conncessions they were making 35-50mil a quarter...
Let the Subs Teach

Florence, AL

#95 Jan 6, 2013
Holdthepull wrote:
<quoted text>
So was that edited so wonderfully by you? because if you found it like that it's laughable at best... Just as i said before the board has just as much responsibility in failed negotiations as the teachers. It's called a contract negotiation, they negotiate... think of it like your buying a car, car salesman goes high you go low. Other than the tacky additions to the text, it looks like every contract negotiation i've been in, empolyer goes low and tries to take, union goes high and asks for more, that's where you find the middle ground. Without getting hands on there entire budget you don't know what money they do and don't have. The last time i heard an employer saying they had no money for raises and wanted conncessions they were making 35-50mil a quarter...
This is exactly what came from www.ewinggradeschool.org . I did add a few comments and captalizations of my own to point out the areas I FIND important...Like the state not able to pay the school what is owed. The District not wanting to spend every dime we do have or they would have to raise taxes. I see that every teacher has been offered a raise and the negotiations have been going on since the summer so I do understand how it goes. One makes an offer then a counter offer and this seems to be the last counter offer being offered to the teachers. Seems reasonable to me. This is what is wrong with our government and country. Spend, spend, borrow and borrow some more then we will just raise taxes to get more money to spend. Seems to me, this is my opinion, that the teachers have been offered a raise just not the amount they want and to the detriment of the schools future. Why run the school into the ground,so no one has jobs and our schools will have to consolidate? We ALL MUST tighten our belts to ensure the prospersous future of Ewing Grade School.
laid off

United States

#96 Jan 6, 2013
Help me understand the pay scale,,,are you saying there is a standing pay schedule that increases a teacher's p every year for just being there and then you get an extra bump if you further your education..and they still want more.

Location hidden

#97 Jan 6, 2013
<quoted text>
This is exactly what came from www.ewinggradeschool.org . I did add a few comments and captalizations of my own to point out the areas I FIND important...Like the state not able to pay the school what is owed. The District not wanting to spend every dime we do have or they would have to raise taxes. I see that every teacher has been offered a raise and the negotiations have been going on since the summer so I do understand how it goes. One makes an offer then a counter offer and this seems to be the last counter offer being offered to the teachers. Seems reasonable to me. This is what is wrong with our government and country. Spend, spend, borrow and borrow some more then we will just raise taxes to get more money to spend. Seems to me, this is my opinion, that the teachers have been offered a raise just not the amount they want and to the detriment of the schools future. Why run the school into the ground,so no one has jobs and our schools will have to consolidate? We ALL MUST tighten our belts to ensure the prospersous future of Ewing Grade School.
Going to the schools website for non-biased information is pointless. Without all the political jargin the school board has added it's pretty simple to understand, 2012-2013 both agree to allow teachers to advance payscale if they've continued education, union wants a 1.5% increase across the board, School wants 1.25 to 3.77% per the teachers expierence, but somehow the school shows a $10,000 difference in totals in the unions favor of course, although the math doesn't support that... 2013-2014 union wants the same as previous year, School wants to deny all raises but give a 1% bonus. The first year is very close numbers wise irregardless of what the board has posted, the second year of course is not because of the boards refusal to give anything other than a bonus, and the unions refusal of such... The use of last and final offer is more of a tactical move than a definitive move... The only people who can say if the raises are reasonable or not are the teachers, not the outsiders looking in... But more than anything else your taking the boards word for everything going on, but of course they wouldn't tell anything but truth, no special interest's involved...
retired

West Frankfort, IL

#98 Jan 6, 2013
"let the subs teach" I hope you are not in the eduction field considering the vast array of gramatical errors in your "copy and paste" sketch.
retired

West Frankfort, IL

#99 Jan 6, 2013
laid off wrote:
Help me understand the pay scale,,,are you saying there is a standing pay schedule that increases a teacher's p every year for just being there and then you get an extra bump if you further your education..and they still want more.
No, they want the payscale that was negotiated and the board agreed to, when the contract was ratified.
Let Them Strike

Saint Louis, MO

#100 Jan 6, 2013
Having been told by more than one of the the teachers leading the strike charge that is has nothing to do with money. However, the entire argument here and on the street is about them wanting more money. Show me on paper where this money will be falling from the sky and I will support you. Plus, you already get 100% of your pension funded along with an abundance of personal and sick days available for your 9 month job. Teaching is one of the most important jobs for our future and I am thankful for all of our teachers. You choose to work at a smaller school in a rural area. There are trade offs with that choice. Suck it up ladies, put your big girl pants on, do your job, and be thankful for what you have.
Let the Subs Teach

Morocco, IN

#101 Jan 6, 2013
retired wrote:
"let the subs teach" I hope you are not in the eduction field considering the vast array of gramatical errors in your "copy and paste" sketch.
Actually, I typed it all out. I was not able to "copy and paste" (which is very apparent due to the mistakes). I agree I should have proofread my typing before posting. No I am not in the education field.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Benton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Klee Kneel 10 hr Know 1
200 north suyvesant 13 hr theylikethecream 2
Melissa Clayton Sun Well 2
Brandon Rice Aug 28 Dea 4
Mariah SkankFarland Aug 28 Truth 14
Amanda thomas Aug 28 Old friend 1
Windows/ Rend Lake Resort Aug 28 Poisonivy 13

Benton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance