First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Since: Aug 08

Benton

#1 Aug 12, 2008
The BCHS Band had a Drumline as everyone knows for 2 years than it was stopped.The members of the Drumline were required to go out and aquire donations and funding for the year. When we collected the money we had collected a little more than 2500 dollars from the citizens of Benton. This money went toward equipment, uniforms, and an instructor from a nearby College. It was a great success for the Basketball Season when they played at Home. The next year the Band Instructor said we couldn't do the Drumline because their was no funding and he couldn't put up with the late hours we spent. But the question I want to ask is should BCHS have a drumline?
Private

Fort Wayne, IN

#2 Aug 13, 2008
Poteete91 wrote:
The BCHS Band had a Drumline as everyone knows for 2 years than it was stopped.The members of the Drumline were required to go out and aquire donations and funding for the year. When we collected the money we had collected a little more than 2500 dollars from the citizens of Benton. This money went toward equipment, uniforms, and an instructor from a nearby College. It was a great success for the Basketball Season when they played at Home. The next year the Band Instructor said we couldn't do the Drumline because their was no funding and he couldn't put up with the late hours we spent. But the question I want to ask is should BCHS have a drumline?
YES! I loved listening and watching the drumline.
Sassafras

Belle Rive, IL

#3 Aug 13, 2008
The DRUMLINE was the best thing that ever happened to the football halftime and the basketball games!!!

The way I heard it was, the band director told the boys they couldn't use the drums because of the wear and tear on them and they couldn't replace them that often.......could it be that the drumline was a success and HE didn't want them to be. They were exciting to watch and they really pumped up the crowd! It is a shame they did away with them, the sports programs really needed that boost.
Duck

Harrisburg, IL

#4 Aug 14, 2008
They were great and need to start up again!!!

Since: Aug 08

Benton

#5 Aug 14, 2008
Well, i was part of the drumline my freshman year but i think tht if the people of the town would show interest at a board meeting that the school will realize that the one thing that they need to incorporate is the drumline and it would help get more people to the sports games
Sassafras

Belle Rive, IL

#6 Aug 15, 2008
Maybe when the current band director retires, there will be a chance for them again.

It is a real shame that the drumline was "let go", they were a hit with everybody..........I think that was the whole problem, not the drum usage !! They were a bigger hit than the band, and the band director couldn't stand that.
band fan

Carbondale, IL

#7 Aug 19, 2008
I think the real shame is that people are trying to say that Mr. King is petty. I have seen Mr.King in action with the kids. He takes pride in their hard work and success, it does not take away from his success as a band director. The drum line was fantastic and it required a lot of hard work from the kids and probably did take a toll on the equipment. Not all kids are ready to dedicate themselves to that much hard work or have the talent that Mr. Raby does. The school does not support the band with money. The band does not have the funds to replace worn out equipment or uniforms. If you have a beef it should be with the school district for caring more for the football field than with school books or the band.
Sassafras

Belle Rive, IL

#8 Aug 19, 2008
I don't have a beef, just wish the drumline would be on the football field and the basketball court, at least, THEY were interesting to watch.

Since: Jul 08

Palatine, IL

#9 Aug 19, 2008
Maybe Bill Bonam will buy some drums. Worth asking.
Sassafras

Belle Rive, IL

#10 Aug 20, 2008
maxtabes wrote:
Maybe Bill Bonam will buy some drums. Worth asking.
That's a TERRIFIC IDEA !!
Sassafras

Belle Rive, IL

#11 Aug 20, 2008
Hope the kids that are in the drumline are reading this.

Since: Aug 08

Benton

#12 Aug 20, 2008
its my last year and i was in it my freshman year of high school and im not saying Bill King is a bad band director hes the greatest tht this school will ever have( sorry if any one took it tht way). And the drummers in the high school would love to have a chance at something like tht cuz when ever they saw it when we had it they say thts y they wanted to stay in band. But y r sports more important thn academics and extracurricular activities?
However

Springfield, IL

#13 Oct 27, 2008
They're not. But stupid people just have to be more interested in freaking sports. The only sport team that is actually ever successful is the girls track team. I mean come on. The speech team has more accomplishments. Last year, the contest play went to state and tied for second place. The band is recognized for their musical abilities. The RLC band is playing middle school/low high school music. The Benton High School Band is the best thing at that school, and it's a shame that the stupid board believes that sports are what bring in the money.
Northwest Benton

Springfield, IL

#14 Oct 27, 2008
However wrote:
They're not. But stupid people just have to be more interested in freaking sports. The only sport team that is actually ever successful is the girls track team. I mean come on. The speech team has more accomplishments. Last year, the contest play went to state and tied for second place. The band is recognized for their musical abilities. The RLC band is playing middle school/low high school music. The Benton High School Band is the best thing at that school, and it's a shame that the stupid board believes that sports are what bring in the money.
Are you serious?? Have you ever checked out the banners in Rich Herrin Gymnasium? You must be new to Benton or live under a rock to think that the track team is the only "successful" team! And by the way, the major sports ARE what makes the money so the minor sports and recreations can survive. To compare what a football or basketball player goes through to a band member shows some ignorance (or jealousy) on your part.
Sassafras

Belle Rive, IL

#15 Oct 27, 2008
THE DRUMLINE WAS EXCITING and it is too bad that they don't get to perform anymore. It was something to look forward to during the boring basketball games. If they would bring them back, I might consider getting reserved seats again and from the looks of the gym during basketball season, they could use and incentive to draw people in.
Buggs

Harrisburg, IL

#16 Oct 27, 2008
Girls basketball won state championship in 1983 Boys golf just won 2nd in state. You don't know the facts.
Sassafras

Belle Rive, IL

#17 Oct 27, 2008
Remember that era, the Rich Herrin Era and it was the girls team who won a state championship. As I recall, they let the girls coach go but she got her job back. Go figure.
Old School

Centreville, VA

#18 Oct 27, 2008
I remember when Doug O. started the drumline and it was a huge success. It's a shame that Bill can't keep it going. The drumline kids are a talented crew.
Sassafras

Belle Rive, IL

#19 Oct 27, 2008
Old School wrote:
I remember when Doug O. started the drumline and it was a huge success. It's a shame that Bill can't keep it going. The drumline kids are a talented crew.
I AGREE! Very talented and entertaining.

Since: Jul 08

Palatine, IL

#21 Oct 28, 2008
Benton Rangerettes won the State Championship in March 1980.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Benton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jennifer manning 13 min wondering 1
grade school teachers getting fired 1 hr Les 71
David and Laura Huff ? 1 hr me and him 5
Bikers buy Church 5 hr texas 48
Looking for juice? 5 hr canopy 18
storm riders (Aug '12) 6 hr donald kost 171
I think I met the Devil.... 17 hr Benjamin Tunn 5
More from around the web

Benton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]