One killed in massive I-94 crash

One killed in massive I-94 crash

There are 66 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Dec 21, 2008, titled One killed in massive I-94 crash. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

One person is dead after a crash involving 12 semi-trucks and around 30 other vehicles near St.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Scott in Hartford

East Syracuse, NY

#1 Dec 21, 2008
I-94 is closed in both directions from CR 681 until Mile marker 52 Lawrence exit, numerous accidents some with intrapment
Gin VandenBerg

United States

#2 Dec 21, 2008
Time for all to stay off the roads, or take it slow and very easy. The life you save may be your own.

And please folks, remember use your HEADLIGHTS!!! They make you sooo much more visable in these conditions.

Better yet.. stay in have an adult beverage if your an adult.. and bake some cookies!
annoyed

Ionia, MI

#3 Dec 21, 2008
Gin VandenBerg wrote:
Time for all to stay off the roads, or take it slow and very easy. The life you save may be your own.
And please folks, remember use your HEADLIGHTS!!! They make you sooo much more visable in these conditions.
Better yet.. stay in have an adult beverage if your an adult.. and bake some cookies!
The headlights are a big one. No one seems to remember how to turn them on anymore!
great

Salt Lake City, UT

#4 Dec 21, 2008
Last night I was coming back from the red wings game and it was snowing pretty heavily and there were a line of cars going between 40-45 mph, the fast lane was snow covered to the point you couldn't tell where it was, then a caravan of about 5-6 semi trucks passed us all at about 60 mph throwing the snow piled in that lane up in the air making it impossible to see. Everyone slowed down to about 10 mph waiting for them to pass and the visibility to get better. I understand semi drivers have a job to do but when they try to pass it causing the driving conditions to get even worse.
Responsible in GR

Denver, CO

#5 Dec 21, 2008
great wrote:
Last night I was coming back from the red wings game and it was snowing pretty heavily and there were a line of cars going between 40-45 mph, the fast lane was snow covered to the point you couldn't tell where it was, then a caravan of about 5-6 semi trucks passed us all at about 60 mph throwing the snow piled in that lane up in the air making it impossible to see. Everyone slowed down to about 10 mph waiting for them to pass and the visibility to get better. I understand semi drivers have a job to do but when they try to pass it causing the driving conditions to get even worse.
Semi drivers have a job to do but they also have a huge responsibility on the road. I would rather slow down and be safe than to risk being injured or killed myself or someone else's family member. I could live with being fired.
Becky

United States

#6 Dec 21, 2008
I avoid I-94, if possible --even in good weather. Hate to say it...but, we need electronic speed limit- signs that would change the posted speed limit for bad road conditions (white-outs).

I'd rather fight the back-roads, than deal with a semi going 70mph on ice.

“Ready For The Apocalypse!”

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#7 Dec 21, 2008
Not only turn headlights on, but stay in one lane, do not drive down the middle, and please stay out of the passing lane when you're going slower than the speed limit, in any case.
unbelievable

Traverse City, MI

#8 Dec 21, 2008
forget the headlights or driving slow! Keep your butts to home!
Was in the accident

Chicago, IL

#9 Dec 21, 2008
The driver who was killed was not hit by a semi. He or she rammed into the back of a semi and the top of the car was sheared off on impact. My car was 20 feet in front of the other car at the point of impact.
Concerned

Hudsonville, MI

#10 Dec 21, 2008
If the authorities were aware of significant power behind this storm, why did they not shut down the roads ? We all have been living here long enough to know how bad it gets, especially in this area where this accident took place. I understand that people need to use common sense but I am also sure had the authorities shut down the roads , this and many more accidents would've been avoided and lives saved.
Concerned

Hudsonville, MI

#11 Dec 21, 2008
Was in the accident wrote:
The driver who was killed was not hit by a semi. He or she rammed into the back of a semi and the top of the car was sheared off on impact. My car was 20 feet in front of the other car at the point of impact.
Lucky you to make it safely out of there :)
Patrick

Pembroke, GA

#12 Dec 21, 2008
I am one of those involved in this accident. I'd like to post a correction: The fatality was not rear-ended by a semi, he rear ended the semi. It happened just after I went into the median and occurred right behind my vehicle. I also have photos.
Jerome

Cicero, NY

#13 Dec 21, 2008
Incompetent truck drivers.
Dutch

United States

#14 Dec 21, 2008
Jerome wrote:
Time to look in the mirror, brother.
mike mcdonald

Grand Rapids, MI

#15 Dec 21, 2008
well what one is it woodtv, 100 or 30 vehicles... seems like you cant get your story straight.
confused

Huntsville, AL

#16 Dec 21, 2008
Berrien County (WOOD)- One person is dead after a crash involving 12 semi-trucks and around 100 other vehicles near St. Joseph. The crash happened around 1 p.m. Sunday on eastbound I-94 near Niles Avenue (exit 27). 12 semi-trucks and 30 other vehicles were involved.

12 semis and 100 cars...

or 12 semis and 30 cars...???

woodtv, help me out here. granted they are both big and sad that someone died...but get the typing straight.
Was in the accident

Washington, DC

#17 Dec 21, 2008
Glad to see they got the facts straight now.
Was in the accident

Washington, DC

#18 Dec 21, 2008
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
Lucky you to make it safely out of there :)
Thanks Concerned.
Becky

United States

#19 Dec 21, 2008
I have no information about this accident. I was just saying.... I avoid I-94 (and 131) because of the semi-trucks. No blame is assigned by me.
Just a thought

Caledonia, MI

#20 Dec 21, 2008
Jerome wrote:
the truck driver was stopped for another accident and the guy that died hit him...and you call the truck drivers incompetent? WOW!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Benton Harbor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Courthouse shooter accused of keeping teen in s... 10 hr bubbabreath 1
News Three Straight Weeks Of Gas Price Declines Jul 9 Traveling Jones 1
News Contractor Hired To Tear Down Mercy Hospital Jul 1 marvinlzinn 1
News Benton Harbor Serial Rapist Sentenced Jun 25 Big187 1
Dirty courthouse Jun '16 Msmoore 3
News BH Commission Discusses Plan For Former Mercy H... Jun '16 Msmoore 2
In search of family of Laura Reid Mitchell May '16 nickimouse 1

Benton Harbor Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance