VA Senate Panel Again Kills Gun Show Loophole Bill

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

A Virginia Senate committee has again killed legislation to close the so-called "gun show loophole." The Courts of Justice Committee voted 11-3 to reject the measure Monday.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of279
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

All thoughts and ideas that have been put forward to control the proliferation of guns are useless. Read the latest issue of Rolling Stone. The NRA is just as corrupt as congress, bought and sold by corporate backers.
new hammer time

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

randomthoughts wrote:
<quoted text> Ever heard of a mass shooting at a gun show ?
me either. Laws dont work , they just dont.
it wasn't a mass shooting in NCs fairground gun show.....but some teaTARD opened his gun case and a loaded shotgun fired and injured 3 ppl.. the show was shut down immediately. so much for gun safety.

Since: Feb 10

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

new hammer time wrote:
<quoted text>
it wasn't a mass shooting in NCs fairground gun show.....but some teaTARD opened his gun case and a loaded shotgun fired and injured 3 ppl.. the show was shut down immediately. so much for gun safety.
Wrong as usual no-show. You never get the facts straight.

The owner of the shotgun didn't just open the case and the gun fired. The idiot took a LOADED gun into the show and when he removed it from the case, he handled it improperly (like Idiot Joe Morressy did) with his finger on the trigger and it discharged. It did not fire all by itself.

It was not intentional nor an accident, but a negligent discharge.

Sadly, idiots like you do own guns nothead. That incident is proof positive.
Guardian

Ferrum, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

How can you have a bill to get rid of something that doesn't exist. There is no loophole therefore there is no Bill,...... D.O.A.
Get used to it Liberal Gun Grabbers of Virginia, whatever name you want to go by, you know who you are, and guess what, so do we.
Silent Echo

Petersburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

new hammer time wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sure that you can provide documentation for your statement? I have only attended one NC show as I can not (as a Va. resident) purchase guns at a NC show, however, I can tell you that at all Va. shows if you bring a gun to a show a very profesional Va. police officer will look at the gun to make sure it is unloaded and then place a device on the gun that keep you from loading it. This happens whether the gun is out in the open or in a case.

I await your time, date and documented details of the NC shooting to prove your credibility. You know things that can be accessed for verification of your statements.

On a second thought, if this DID happen it must have been with a very old gun as all modern guns have a safety factor that even when dropped the gun can not discharge unless the trigger is pulled, thus releasing the secondary safety mechanism.
Andrew

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

A quote from the latest VCDL alert:

Daniel Webster, director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research, will report data from a 2004 survey of inmates in state prisons in a chapter in a book titled "Reducing Gun Violence in America," to be published Jan. 28 by Johns Hopkins Press.

The offenders were incarcerated from crimes committed with handguns, and this is how they reported how they obtained the guns:

Licensed gun dealer: 11 percent
Friends or family: 39.5 percent
"The street:" 37.5 percent
Stolen gun: 9.9 percent
Gun show/Flea market: 1.7 percent

In other words, only a relatively small percentage was purchased from licensed dealers. Obama's proposal on universal background checks, however, allows for "limited, common-sense exceptions for cases like certain transfers between family members and temporary transfers for hunting and sporting purposes."
Areyoukiddingme

Staunton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

randomthoughts wrote:
<quoted text> Ever heard of a mass shooting at a gun show ?
me either. Laws dont work , they just dont.
No, but can a felon by a weapon in a gun store? No, but he can at a gun show because there are no back ground checks required.
Huh

Glen Allen, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Eville wrote:
Ding it. Sorry about the name calling. But sometimes you gotta call it as you see it.
You poor thing! Pull your head out of your a** ;)
huck

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Silent Echo wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sure that you can provide documentation for your statement? I have only attended one NC show as I can not (as a Va. resident) purchase guns at a NC show, however, I can tell you that at all Va. shows if you bring a gun to a show a very profesional Va. police officer will look at the gun to make sure it is unloaded and then place a device on the gun that keep you from loading it. This happens whether the gun is out in the open or in a case.
I await your time, date and documented details of the NC shooting to prove your credibility. You know things that can be accessed for verification of your statements.
On a second thought, if this DID happen it must have been with a very old gun as all modern guns have a safety factor that even when dropped the gun can not discharge unless the trigger is pulled, thus releasing the secondary safety mechanism.
google found it in less than one second, how long did it take you to tpye your post
huck

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Since: Aug 10

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

huck wrote:
<quoted text>
Boohoo, what a hardship!
I bet the sandy parents feel for ya.
Yes, because closing the non-existent "gun show loophole" would have prevented the Sandy Hook tragedy./sarcasm
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Gun cowboys, mindless pawns of the NRA and its corperate backers. Unindighted co conspirators in the deaths of children every day. Hope your proud.
Colt 45

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Areyoukiddingme wrote:
<quoted text>
No, but can a felon by a weapon in a gun store? No, but he can at a gun show because there are no back ground checks required.
A felon cannot buy a gun at a gun show from a gun dealer,the only way he/she can is buying from a private person.There are thousands of felon's that are not even in the
data that the background checks are supposed to weed out.So guess what,felon's can buy from a dealer also if their name is not listed.

As far as the background check's go.

Seung-Hui Cho
James Holmes
Jared Lougher
These 3 passed a background check, Adam Lanza stole the guns he used,how would a background check have stopped him.
Boodreau

Waynesboro, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

sez you wrote:
Gun cowboys, mindless pawns of the NRA and its corperate backers. Unindighted co conspirators in the deaths of children every day. Hope your proud.
Alcohol drinkers how many children were physically and emotionally abused last nite by drunken parents or guardians. How many were molested or injured in alcohol related crashes. Are you prepared to call for prohibition to save children from irresponsible drinkers?
Boodreau

Waynesboro, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

sez you wrote:
I have enjoyed target shooting for over 40 years. My firearms have never been recklessly handled or pointed at another person. My youngest child turns 18 next month and my firearms have always been secure and they have never had access to then without me present. Should i be punished because criminals ILLEGALLY use them? Refer to my above post. I know more children who have been harmed by irresponsible alcohol use than by irresponsible gun use. I do not drink but but I do not call for prohibition because of irresponsible drinkers
huck

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Boodreau wrote:
<quoted text>I have enjoyed target shooting for over 40 years. My firearms have never been recklessly handled or pointed at another person. My youngest child turns 18 next month and my firearms have always been secure and they have never had access to then without me present. Should i be punished because criminals ILLEGALLY use them? Refer to my above post. I know more children who have been harmed by irresponsible alcohol use than by irresponsible gun use. I do not drink but but I do not call for prohibition because of irresponsible drinkers
Why do you think you are being 'punished'?
The goal of background checks is to find out how guns were obtained illegally.
Nobody is pointing their finger specifically at you.

Gun registration would go even further to help keep weapons out of the wrong hands.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Colt 45 wrote:
<quoted text>
A felon cannot buy a gun at a gun show from a gun dealer,the only way he/she can is buying from a private person.There are thousands of felon's that are not even in the
data that the background checks are supposed to weed out.So guess what,felon's can buy from a dealer also if their name is not listed.
As far as the background check's go.
Seung-Hui Cho
James Holmes
Jared Lougher
These 3 passed a background check, Adam Lanza stole the guns he used,how would a background check have stopped him.
It's congress' fault.
http://www.fixgunchecks.org/background-checks

Midlothian, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Areyoukiddingme wrote:
<quoted text>
Not quite true. If and that is a big IF he attempts to buy a gun at a show, odds are that he will have to have a check as 89% of the gun "dealers" there are FFLs and have to run the checks by law.

Yes, there are a few private sales, but most are not serviceable but collector pieces that no criminal would be stupid enough to buy.

And with all the cops at gun shows in VA, no criminal would be dumb enough to show their face.

Midlothian, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

huck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you think you are being 'punished'?
The goal of background checks is to find out how guns were obtained illegally.
Nobody is pointing their finger specifically at you.
Gun registration would go even further to help keep weapons out of the wrong hands.
From the DOJ

The offenders were incarcerated from crimes committed with handguns, and this is how they reported how they obtained the guns:

huck

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

va_tazdad wrote:
<quoted text>
From the DOJ
there ya go, 39.5

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of279
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Bensley Discussions

Search the Bensley Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Why They Hate Obama (Aug '13) 3 hr barefoot2626 9,684
Five People Shot In Gilpin Court - wtvr (Jul '10) Thu ank 236
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) Wed abe 1,349
Debate: Gay Marriage - Richmond, VA (Jul '10) Apr 15 GILPIN COURT RESIDENT 261
VA Missing Va. Girl Alive, Man In Custody (Dec '10) Apr 14 Jim 1,434
1960 Chevrolet Biscayne - Rock You Like a Hurri... Apr 13 Rich C 1
Richmond REPO Homes with Guaranteed Financing Apr 13 Cheap Homes 1
•••
•••