City OKs settlement to Bensenville fo...

City OKs settlement to Bensenville for O'Hare expansion

There are 2 comments on the Chicago Sun-Times story from Nov 18, 2009, titled City OKs settlement to Bensenville for O'Hare expansion. In it, Chicago Sun-Times reports that:

The City Council on Wednesday authorized a $16 million settlement to suburban Bensenville, removing one of the last legal impediments to Mayor Daley's massive O'Hare Airport expansion project.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Sun-Times.

Nick

Huntley, IL

#1 Nov 19, 2009
Cause for Concern?

O’hare Expansion

Buildings along a stretch of Irving Park Road running through the city of Bensenville, IL have been vacant for some time now. I drove through the area to get a glimpse of some of the properties there. With camera in hand, I took some random photos of the outside of the vacant homes. There were weeds and lawns not mowed that cover half the size of the house itself. The buildings are slowly deteriorating right before us.
As I took my last photos I was able to get some of what I was in search of. A vacant business structure right there off of Irving Park Rd., I’d seen it. It was visible right through the store front window, a visible water intrusion. Inside on the East wall drywall ripped out to a certain height, 5 gallon buckets catching water from a leaking roof top overflow onto the floor. The buckets were placed there by someone aware of the problem going on inside the building.
My concern… the mold is growing on the walls and floors of the building. Mold is visible to anyone who looks through the window. Is it Toxic? We won't know until it's tested. As I walked back to my car, to my surprise another vehicle with a gentleman inside was waiting for me. The gentleman waiting was an employee of a real estate agency which I guess is there to look over the vacant properties. His job is to drive around and watch for curious people like myself. I told him who I was and the reason that I was there. My concern was about the possibility of mold on the properties.
To my surprise he admitted that pretty much all of the homes had mold in them. The reason he knows is because he also checks inside the homes due to the recent break-ins and theft of copper plumbing. He told me he puts on a paper mask and walks through the mold infested properties, a lot of black mold fills most of the properties; is it Toxic? It will need to be tested to find out. I don't think he really knows the possible harm he maybe exposing himself to by walking through these properties.
The point I'm trying to make is, when and if these buildings are to be demolished and the mold is not tested and taken care of with the proper procedures, they could be spreading harmful maybe Toxic mold spores into the air potentially putting humans, animals and vegetation in harm’s way. Also, if they do not use the property then the buildings will go up for re-sale. Whatever the outcome is, the mold problem has to be dealt with in the proper procedures. So you tell me, is this cause for concern.
Infrared Services

Atlanta, GA

#2 Dec 14, 2009
It is amazing how water intrusion and mold can have such effects on us and even animals and humans. These problems should be stopped before they get this bad! If people tested their home for water intrusion they could prevent such situations. A great place to go to learn more about infrared testing and get help is http://www.infraredtest.ca/how_to_test_infrar... because YES this is cause for concern.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bensenville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min Leeward Outlier 222,925
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min John Galt 1,421,498
lyons, il politics (Mar '07) 54 min In God We Trust 8,978
Chicago has the Worst Women 1 hr Marriage Never 58
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Actual Science 61,112
last post wins! (Apr '13) 3 hr Retired SOF 1,484
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 3 hr GEORGIA 3,063

Bensenville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bensenville Mortgages