Elk Grove Village may install red-lig...

Elk Grove Village may install red-light cameras

There are 37 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Oct 7, 2007, titled Elk Grove Village may install red-light cameras. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Studies are expected to be completed this month at nine intersections where Elk Grove Village may install photo-enforcement cameras.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
taxpayer

United States

#1 Oct 7, 2007
Yeah, this sounds like a great idea. Let's pay a ton of money to a politically connected company to install red-light cameras so we (read: politicians and friends) can make money from the American working dummy.

If they bitch about it, we'll just say "If there was a red light camera; that lady and her daughter would be here today."

The only reason they did a "study" was to see how much money they would make off these things.

What a joke.
Powerful Reporting

Milwaukee, WI

#2 Oct 8, 2007
Dear Ken,

Thanks for the powerful reporting and asking the hard hitting questions. Here's a few suggestions for you as follow-ups:

1. How will red light cameras stop drunk drivers?
2. How does a drunk driver collision signal the time to install red light cameras?
3. Why is the company you are hiring doing the "study" that results in camera positions and how does that serve teh public's best interest?
4. Did Elk Grove Village perform a study based on actual accidents or are they just going with where RedSpeed indicates that the most revenue can be made?
5. So far, Elk Grove Village has indicated that the goal of red light cameras is to magically stop drunk drivers and make as much money as possible. Anything else they would like to add?
6. Of the intersections "studied", how many actual violations to uniformed officers hand out? And, what percentage of these violations are actually endangering public safety?
7. Lastly, what budy did you owe a favor to to write this article? It is a joke.
CRAZY IDEA

Elmhurst, IL

#3 Aug 13, 2008
I think that the idea of these cameras are a joke in most, but not all cases. First of all, what if the camera is defected, or was disturbed by weather conditions such as thunderstorms. What if you pdidn't run the light, and was in the middle of the intersection then the light turns yellow.
I think that the city can invest more money in more bike patrol vs. cameras. I know that they have cameras on Busse off of Oakton by the Mc Donalds, and they have so many holes in the ground that they should be fixing. I can't grasp the concept of a camera catching a drunk driver. Drunk driver do more than running traffic lights in my many witnessed situation. A drunk driver can swirve out of control and do head on collisions, side swip a vehicle etc. My main question is: When the camera snapps the photo is there going to be a officer on the scene immediately.(don't think so)Think- In that second or two someone could be killed. If alot of accidents are reported at a intersection then have patrol cares there for these law breakers.
I truly feel that this is a true scam by the city, and most citizens don't support this madness.
I think this is what you become a police officer for, and deal with various tasks other than hitting drive thru on a regular, standing on corner with radar guns desperately looking for something to do...
If you notice the cops today in these small suburbs, you'll be somewhat disappointed. This is another way for the cops in my opinion not to get exercise, and continue to be out of shape. If they are investing in the cameras then they should lay off some officers. If you think about it the cameras are doing the job anyway. "WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO"
No need for the police

Elmhurst, IL

#4 Aug 13, 2008
The camera system should be used in stores, apartment complexes, behind lots, malls etc. I think that we are taking the cameras to a whole new level. Please be advised that the cameras are not 100% accurate anyway, but us tax payer have to give up the money. In the court system you are wrong regarding these cameras. I sat in so many hearinmgs, and never saw a judge find a person not guilty. How can we prove that the camera was broken, or not even a straight scam just to get money from us. I think that we need to do pay cuts from the police if the cameras are doing there jobs for them. The old school police officers worked hard to protect, and serve the community. I THINK THE NEW GUYS ARE LAZY, AND HIDE BEHIND THE BADGES
Angry

Omaha, NE

#5 Aug 28, 2008
I received a red light violation in Chicago recently. I was 3 blocks from Cabrini green at 2am. There was loud music coming from the car behind me. I ran a late yellow - which turned red in the middle of the intersection. I was not about to stay at that intersection. The video of the incident showed that the light was red before I even went thru the intersection. The system is rigged. I guarantee that I will not be driving in Chicago anymore. They lost my tourist money. Same goes for EGV. If they install these cameras more - I will move. I am scared to go thru yellows and just approaching a yellow freaks me out.
Angry

Omaha, NE

#6 Aug 28, 2008
Clarification: I live in Elk Grove Village
Anonymous

Evanston, IL

#7 Aug 28, 2008
This just in: Accidents in Elk Grove up as motorists slam on the brakes to avoid getting caught in camera'd intersections.

“WHAT HUMP? ”

Since: Mar 08

Chicago

#8 Aug 28, 2008
Wonder if they figured in how much the legal costs will be when people keep suing them AND WINNING because it has been proven that those cams don't work.
Chris

Schaumburg, IL

#9 Jan 6, 2009
ELK GROVE VILLAGE IS RUN BY THE POLICE...EXCEPT THE COPS ARE ON VACATION WHILE THEY WORK BECAUSE THE CAMERAS DO THE WORK FOR THEM. WHAT A JOKE- I STOPPED AT A LIGHT FOR 2 SECONDS THEN MADE A LEGAL RIGHT AND I GOT SNAPPED. I WISH YOU GUYS CAN SEE MY VIDEO. ELK GROVE OFFICIALS ARE SMART.... THEY KNOW HOW TO MAKE MONEY OFF THEIR CITIZENS. WHO'S UP FOR PAINTBALLING THE CAMERAS :D SO WE CAN EXPRESS OUR DEMOCRACY :) I'VE BEEN ALL OVER THE U.S. CHICAGO IS THE WORST POLICE CITY- NY IS SECOND.
Little Kazoo Elk Grove

United States

#10 Jan 12, 2009
CRAZY IDEA wrote:
I think that the idea of these cameras are a joke in most, but not all cases. First of all, what if the camera is defected, or was disturbed by weather conditions such as thunderstorms. What if you pdidn't run the light, and was in the middle of the intersection then the light turns yellow.
I think that the city can invest more money in more bike patrol vs. cameras. I know that they have cameras on Busse off of Oakton by the Mc Donalds, and they have so many holes in the ground that they should be fixing. I can't grasp the concept of a camera catching a drunk driver. Drunk driver do more than running traffic lights in my many witnessed situation. A drunk driver can swirve out of control and do head on collisions, side swip a vehicle etc. My main question is: When the camera snapps the photo is there going to be a officer on the scene immediately.(don't think so)Think- In that second or two someone could be killed. If alot of accidents are reported at a intersection then have patrol cares there for these law breakers.
I truly feel that this is a true scam by the city, and most citizens don't support this madness.
I think this is what you become a police officer for, and deal with various tasks other than hitting drive thru on a regular, standing on corner with radar guns desperately looking for something to do...
If you notice the cops today in these small suburbs, you'll be somewhat disappointed. This is another way for the cops in my opinion not to get exercise, and continue to be out of shape. If they are investing in the cameras then they should lay off some officers. If you think about it the cameras are doing the job anyway. "WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO"
I Agree with this and others 100% you tried these and the are not working like you thought they would.. I was sitting at a red light wtg to make a left the light was green for the traffic heading south as I was but I had a red light for my left turn. However I recieved a ticket in the mail for running a Red Light and have to pay fines and so forth this is uncalled for I am taking to much time off from work for court dates along with having to prove my case of the matter for something I didn't do. No one and I mean no in the police department has even tried to help me in this matter no one seems to care after the fact...... This is wrong any way you look at it we don't need them.....

“WHAT HUMP? ”

Chicago

#11 Jan 16, 2009
Thats kinda good cuz it'll free up time for the police...give 'em more donut time
VETERAN OF FOREIGN WARS

Westchester, IL

#12 Jan 16, 2009
Most of those crying about the cameras, are those who prefer to ignore traffic laws.

“WHAT HUMP? ”

Chicago

#13 Jan 16, 2009
VETERAN OF FOREIGN WARS wrote:
Most of those crying about the cameras, are those who prefer to ignore traffic laws.
People who live in glass houses
VETERAN OF FOREIGN WARS

Westchester, IL

#14 Jan 16, 2009
Joey K wrote:
<quoted text>
People who live in glass houses
I have never, nor ever will intentionally ignore any traffic law. This includes not speeding and coming to complete and legal stops when a traffic control device indicates such.

“WHAT HUMP? ”

Chicago

#15 Jan 16, 2009
VETERAN OF FOREIGN WARS wrote:
<quoted text> I have never, nor ever will intentionally ignore any traffic law. This includes not speeding and coming to complete and legal stops when a traffic control device indicates such.
Oh phuleeeeze
VETERAN OF FOREIGN WARS

Westchester, IL

#16 Jan 16, 2009
Joey K wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh phuleeeeze
Try it. It is easy to do, if you're a good citizen who has respect for the law and the welfare of others on the roads. Or, you can be like the BUSH/CHENEY CABAL and have no respect for law and the rights of others.

Since: Jul 08

Schaumburg, IL

#18 Jan 16, 2009
I fail to understand how tickets for moving violations can be issued to vehicles without identifying the driver. Is it Constitutional to do this?

“WHAT HUMP? ”

Chicago

#19 Jan 22, 2009
mdckmn wrote:
I fail to understand how tickets for moving violations can be issued to vehicles without identifying the driver. Is it Constitutional to do this?
It takes a pic of the plate number. The owner of the vehicle is responsible. Its always been that way. it sucks.

If vandals were to randomly destroy the camera's on a regular basis I bet they'd go away.

Since: Jul 08

United States

#20 Jan 22, 2009
Joey K wrote:
<quoted text>
It takes a pic of the plate number. The owner of the vehicle is responsible. Its always been that way. it sucks.
If vandals were to randomly destroy the camera's on a regular basis I bet they'd go away.
So the owner of the vehicle, not the driver of the vehicle, is responsible for the moving violations which are committed?

“WHAT HUMP? ”

Chicago

#21 Jan 22, 2009
mdckmn wrote:
<quoted text> So the owner of the vehicle, not the driver of the vehicle, is responsible for the moving violations which are committed?
yup....both...careful who ya loan your car to

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bensenville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Dr Guru 241,632
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr VetnorsGate 1,548,884
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 4 hr They cannot kill ... 10,848
Illinois is in critical financial crisis. 8 hr Genl Forrest 13
Why are White men obsessed with Latina women? (Feb '10) 11 hr StupidGringos 205
Dissolving Illinois 14 hr De Bow 9
Italian Confessional 15 hr Fr Charlie Sheen 4

Bensenville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bensenville Mortgages