Chicago, Bensenville square off again over O'Hare

Full story: Chicago Tribune

A four-day DuPage County court hearing that could lead to the demolition of more than 500 homes in the proposed path of a new southern runway for O'Hare International Airport began Monday, with attorneys for ...
Comments
41 - 55 of 55 Comments Last updated Oct 21, 2010
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Clarence

United States

#41 Jul 8, 2008
To the stupid people: the current expansion if completed will not help Ohare's problems with being on time, etc. That was according to a study done by the FAA.
dropping the F-bomb

Springfield, IL

#42 Jul 8, 2008
lizvocal wrote:
I'm curious about something, perhaps someone out there knows the answer. Once Chicago knocks down all these houses that they have bought up, doesn't Bensenville still own the streets and parkways that will criss-cross the area? Wouldn't that put a stop to runway construction?
My understanding is that, if/when the courts rule that Chicago can go ahead, Chicago will basically own the entire area.
Once they knock down the houses, the streets will be torn up and repaved.
Nergie

United States

#43 Jul 8, 2008
These anit-expansion folks are morons. O'Hare is also a major cargo hub, not just a passenger hub. It is a huge economic engine for the entire region, why is it people can't get this through their thick skulls. Railroads built the city, and the Airport is what makes it an a world class city. The "Economist" a leading international magazine pointed this out. Why do other cities continue to expand their airports across this country and throughout the world? Are they all playing with fool's gold. You mindless Nimby's need to get your head out of your backsides and realize that this expansion will help millions more than it will hurt.
OpenUr Eyes

Chicago, IL

#44 Jul 8, 2008
Bensenville Forever wrote:
<quoted text>
So who is going to take off and land on these new runways? By the time Daley's "bridge to nowhere" is built United and American will have joined Eastern, TWA et al. They could change O'Hare to "SouthWest International Airport" They will be the only one flying in 2014.
You must be one of Chicago's attorney's. Sounds like you are jealous of Joe's legal abilities. Going to lose another one for Richie pal?
Wow you really have no idea the crap Bensenville is trying to pull. In the beginning they said that they would offer the residents ahem "free" legal representation if they wished to fight the expansion. That area where the expansion is proposed is pretty blighted. It got so bad at one point that the Bensenville Police had to move into one of the townhomes and set up a little outpost. Bensenville also offered the homeowners a right of first refusal meaning that they would give them $500 and if the homeowners wanted to sell they had to notify Bensenville. Most of the homeowners who signed that right of first refusal never got their $500.00. I understand its hard to sell your home but these ppl got great money for what their homes were worth. They got more than fair market value. Meanwhile Bensenville and Giles have bankrupted the whole town. Case in point: the police over there would stop to fill their gas tanks at the Shell station since they had a running tab with the village. Well after a while the gas station refused to fill up their tanks because guess what there was no money... Brilliant idea by Giles to try and buy up as many properties as he could in the area and then try to rent them out by the way (even going so far as to spruce up the places with new paint jobs etc). FWIW these properties are still vacant....
JRP

United States

#45 Jul 8, 2008
Bensenville Forever wrote:
<quoted text>
Spoken like a true Chicago mothball. Pave over the south or west side. Send the gangbangers to the loop with the gunless liberals. Then everybody will be happy.
Sorry, not the plan. We are going after Schaumburg next. Step 1 is to send the scrap guys out there to "recycle" their aluminum siding for them.
Bensenville Forever

United States

#46 Jul 8, 2008
OpenUr Eyes wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow you really have no idea the crap Bensenville is trying to pull. In the beginning they said that they would offer the residents ahem "free" legal representation if they wished to fight the expansion. That area where the expansion is proposed is pretty blighted. It got so bad at one point that the Bensenville Police had to move into one of the townhomes and set up a little outpost. Bensenville also offered the homeowners a right of first refusal meaning that they would give them $500 and if the homeowners wanted to sell they had to notify Bensenville. Most of the homeowners who signed that right of first refusal never got their $500.00. I understand its hard to sell your home but these ppl got great money for what their homes were worth. They got more than fair market value. Meanwhile Bensenville and Giles have bankrupted the whole town. Case in point: the police over there would stop to fill their gas tanks at the Shell station since they had a running tab with the village. Well after a while the gas station refused to fill up their tanks because guess what there was no money... Brilliant idea by Giles to try and buy up as many properties as he could in the area and then try to rent them out by the way (even going so far as to spruce up the places with new paint jobs etc). FWIW these properties are still vacant....
You have no idea what Chicago is trying to pull. Because a town has a "blighted" area and requires extra police protection you advocate we suspend due process and pave the area with concrete.

If the great and mighty Richard Daley had ever, I mean ever, picked up the phone and set up a meeting with the towns affected and bargained in good faith guess what? This expansion could have been done by now.

Instead he bulldozed the State Legislature into giving him the right to annex property that belongs to another city and village government. That after he rolled the convicted Governor George Ryan. George promised to support Bensenville and Elk Grove during his campaign but we all know what his word is worth now.

Every study (except Chicago's) has shown that after completed this boondoggle will have little effect on air traffic for the insane amount spent. Of course Daley's pals will make a fortune.
KGoldberg

Cordoba, Argentina

#47 Jul 8, 2008
Bensenville began in 1884, O'Hare began as Orchard Field in 1942. But few lived in Besnsenville until after the 1950's. A totally fair decision isn't possible, but the rights of greater Chicago must exceed those of Bensenville residents - particularly since most (but not all) moved there after the airport was running.

At some point the frivilous suburban lawsuits should end and perhaps even result in penalties against those that file them.
Depot Jim

Winnetka, IL

#48 Jul 8, 2008
The was a horrible seizure of tax paying citizen's homes by the corrupt Chicago Democratic Machine. I urge everyone to take a ride through the area and see the vacant homes. If Daley and his corrupt cohorts can do this to the citizens of Bensenville, they can also do it to you too. And remember this is the same Mayor Daley that leveled Meggs Field in the middle of the night. This is corrupt high handed politics Chicago style. This proves we do not need Chicago politicians in the White House.
Depot Jim

Winnetka, IL

#49 Jul 8, 2008
blue state wrote:
damn hillbillies, if they only realized that western access would give them all the tax revenue they could dream of. I can't believe a podunk suburb is responsible for choking the world's busiest airport down to 2nd and possibly 3rd place, eroding Chicago's economy. Eh, but what else good are republicans for?
Blue State, your arrogant attitude is why the Democrats win few national elections. Those people lost their homes to the corrupt Chicago Democratic machine, which Obama belongs to. As I mentioned on another post on this topic if they can do this to the citizens of Bensenville they can also do it to all of you out. there.
Clarence

United States

#51 Aug 17, 2008
To the wackos who support Daley's expansion of Ohare, don't look over your shoulder Daley could be stealing your house or business for whatever Daley wants. Long Live the City of Corruption.
plain george

Chicago, IL

#52 Aug 21, 2008
KGoldberg wrote:
Bensenville began in 1884, O'Hare began as Orchard Field in 1942. But few lived in Besnsenville until after the 1950's. A totally fair decision isn't possible, but the rights of greater Chicago must exceed those of Bensenville residents - particularly since most (but not all) moved there after the airport was running.
At some point the frivilous suburban lawsuits should end and perhaps even result in penalties against those that file them.
I have no interest in this matter either way. But I do wonder, if the town is losing 25% of their tax base, what happens to the people who live there and have lived there before all this began? Do their taxes increase? Someone said earlier that Bensenville will benefit from the new runway. How? will the citizens there get a tax break? Just curious. Either way, it;s the lawyers and the lawyer 'referrals' who are making all the money while the citizens of Chicago and Bensenville are stuck footing the bill. I live in an area where the flight landing pattern is right over my house. It isn't bothering me. Just a thought, but, if the taxes in Bensenville are going to increase because of all this, it doesn't seem fair that they have to pay more taxes since it was their town to begin with. Politicians and lawyers get rich and the poor people get poorer.
Angel

Melrose Park, IL

#53 Aug 29, 2008
As a B-ville resident I agree with Mr Slappy. These people a vultures and should stay away from us. O'hare field has plenty of land that is unused and they do not need any more. With this economy we will be lucky if we can still feed our children in the future let alone fly anywhere.
Nok

Villa Park, IL

#54 Aug 29, 2008
Concerned Viewer wrote:
How many million$ and manhours have been spent fighting the enevitable? How many more to come? What could have been done with all that money instead of lining the pockets of lawyer$? EGV and Bensenville could have spent wiser.
The headlines should read: "Village of 20,000 wastes $10 million dollars of taxpayer money fighting long overdue enhancements to one of the country's major airports." "Bensenville attorney Karaganis gets rich as the legal stalling continues." "Bensenville blames recent village tax increase on O'Hare."
Harold

Villa Park, IL

#55 Sep 2, 2008
plain george wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no interest in this matter either way. But I do wonder, if the town is losing 25% of their tax base, what happens to the ...
I've just been looking at maps of Bensenville's boundries and Google Earth. I doubt if Bensenville is losing anywhere near 25% of their tax base; single family residential housing, multifamily housing or commercial/industrial property.

It would be interesting to see if the village actually comes out ahead by eventually not having to provide municipal services to that area.

The schools, on the other hand, will take a significant hit.
Mike

AOL

#56 Oct 21, 2010
REBUKE and half agreement:
QUOTE="Mike"
Accordion to The FAA THe current configuration of O'Hare is Necessary {{The AOPA important organization AGREES}}. FAA does NOT want to change the NW SW configuration due to WINDS that NOreasterly and sometimes Southwesterly and sometimes Blow any direction they Want coming through northeast ILLINOIS. There are also 3 Major airports that seem smaller but are just as important to the economy in the Northwest Dupage County and in northwest Cook. The Building of the Runways can Be just One added runway; BUt Let Us come to a FAA, AOPA, and multiple O'Hare airline consensus. FAA documents and an opinion of Former FAA official Kapsalis just Will be important as well. Millions of dollars Indeed but 'Common Sense' and a well built VORTAC and ARTCC system WILL WORK.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bensenville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min THE DEVIL 1,101,260
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 3 min JOEL 69,086
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 4 min Satan 49,471
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 min wojar 177,518
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 34 min Lord Hater 46,369
2 teens critically wounded in South Side shooting 3 hr wow 2
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 3 hr TRD 68,395
•••
•••
•••

Bensenville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Bensenville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE