Police test vendora s wares - at gunpoint

After firing 93 rounds in a test, local law enforcement personnel seemed convinced that the body armor manufactured by an Alabama company would stop a bullet. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ellie

Bennington, VT

#1 Jan 7, 2011
I think that $3000.00 is well worth one officer's life. Who knows how many nuts

are out on the streets. this is one thing that I agree with.
Lisa

Bennington, VT

#2 Jan 7, 2011
And thank goodness that they were there to take the chiefs picture!
Jim

Milford, NH

#3 Jan 7, 2011
Shame on the Police chief. What a horrible example to show you shooting into a tax payers vehicle. This was a poor decision and could have resulted in severe damage to a town owned vehicle. Yeah, the bullet proof "shield" was set up, but what if you missed or your firearm malfunctioned? This is something the Board of Selectman should reprimand you for! I still can't believe a range safety officer didn't stop you.
po-po

Brookline, MA

#4 Jan 7, 2011
Oh relax Jim. It was not bad PR to have them shooting at the cruiser. I, for one, actually liked the photo.
Nooooo

Bennington, VT

#5 Jan 8, 2011
po-po wrote:
Oh relax Jim. It was not bad PR to have them shooting at the cruiser. I, for one, actually liked the photo.
Actually it was bad PR, I agree with Jim. It shows a definite lack of judgement. "What the f*** is wrong with them? This is who we trust with our safety?", are the 1st thing I thought when viewing the photo.

Wonder if "Hold my beer and watch this!" was heard prior to shooting at the vehicle.
Response

Brookline, MA

#6 Jan 8, 2011
Jim wrote:
Shame on the Police chief.
The judgement was fine. If he accidentally shot the police car, big deal. Put in a new window. Jim, are you really saying that you care if $500 had to be spent on a new window for a police car "if" it was accidentally shot out? Come on. Get real. Someone could break out a window in a police car tonight as it sits there. If you are really concerned about saving tax dollars, let's eliminate welfare benefits using a similar system adopted in Europe (somewhere) last year: You have so much time in order to get a job, and if not, then no more welfare benefits.
GMB

South Burlington, VT

#7 Jan 8, 2011
Nice title Whitcomb ;)

...i'd have mine fitted to the back of my seat. lol

“Proud American and Vermonter”

Since: Feb 09

Bennington

#8 Jan 9, 2011
For those of you crying about how they tested this vest try reading the article and you will see that they were testing it for one of it's uses.

"The shields can also be hung over the doors of cruisers to provide cover while the officer is driving into a dangerous situation. Doucette tested this feature by hanging a shield over his police vehicle and firing rounds from his sidearm into it. The shield caught the bullets and the vehicle was not damaged."

And if the vest had failed and the window been broken or had there other damage to the cruiser I'm willing to bet that Armorshield would have paid for the damage.

“Congrats to Green Bay”

Since: Jun 08

Pittsburgh, Pa

#9 Jan 9, 2011
Scott05201 wrote:
For those of you crying about how they tested this vest try reading the article and you will see that they were testing it for one of it's uses.
"The shields can also be hung over the doors of cruisers to provide cover while the officer is driving into a dangerous situation. Doucette tested this feature by hanging a shield over his police vehicle and firing rounds from his sidearm into it. The shield caught the bullets and the vehicle was not damaged."
And if the vest had failed and the window been broken or had there other damage to the cruiser I'm willing to bet that Armorshield would have paid for the damage.
CLMFAOTNE..... You fill in the blanks.....
So Scooter, please show me where Mayberry's finest has had
an all out gun battle with the Drug Cartel from Columbia to
warrant the purchase of these shields....
The story also states, "In many cases when a police officer is shot, Carter said, itís with his or her own weapon.... Here's a hint, take away Barney's bullets, problem solved!!!!!
Another scenario, these shields would have to be stored in the
trunk of the vehicle so if somebody wanted to take a pot shot
at Barney it's not doing him any good in the trunk, is it????
Your little Rambo Army in Mayberry has been watching to many
episodes of cops..... A waste of money, PERIOD.....
Whats next on the Rambo Army's list, a armor plated SWAT vehicle????

“Make your word impeccable.”

Since: Jul 09

East Bumble

#10 Jan 9, 2011
They can always use them as pillows when they are sleeping.

“Congrats to Green Bay”

Pittsburgh, Pa

#11 Jan 9, 2011
Non Buddy wrote:
They can always use them as pillows when they are sleeping.
I don't know that these are resistant to staining if they should
drool while sleeping Buddy....

Bennington

#12 Jan 9, 2011
X-Vermonter wrote:
<quoted text>
CLMFAOTNE..... You fill in the blanks.....
So Scooter, please show me where Mayberry's finest has had
an all out gun battle with the Drug Cartel from Columbia to
warrant the purchase of these shields....
The story also states, "In many cases when a police officer is shot, Carter said, itís with his or her own weapon.... Here's a hint, take away Barney's bullets, problem solved!!!!!
Another scenario, these shields would have to be stored in the
trunk of the vehicle so if somebody wanted to take a pot shot
at Barney it's not doing him any good in the trunk, is it????
Your little Rambo Army in Mayberry has been watching to many
episodes of cops..... A waste of money, PERIOD.....
Whats next on the Rambo Army's list, a armor plated SWAT vehicle????
These are being purchased to replace ones they have now and I have no problem with that. I want the men and women who serve as members of the BPD, BCSD and the VSP to have the best equipment available to them, and hope they never have to need them. And if you think that is nuts then I guess you must believe that they don't need to carry their sidearms considering that they rarely have to use them. I guess you would strip them of all the tools they have if they don't use them everyday.

And as for Tom Carters statement "In many cases when a police officer is shot, Carter said, itís with his or her own weapon" He wasn't talking about an officer shooting himself/herself and you know it.

“Congrats to Green Bay”

Pittsburgh, Pa

#13 Jan 9, 2011
Scott05201 wrote:
<quoted text>
These are being purchased to replace ones they have now and I have no problem with that. I want the men and women who serve as members of the BPD, BCSD and the VSP to have the best equipment available to them, and hope they never have to need them. And if you think that is nuts then I guess you must believe that they don't need to carry their sidearms considering that they rarely have to use them. I guess you would strip them of all the tools they have if they don't use them everyday.
And as for Tom Carters statement "In many cases when a police officer is shot, Carter said, itís with his or her own weapon" He wasn't talking about an officer shooting himself/herself and you know it.
Oh you poor poor child you!!!!!
These are not tools of the trade unless you think like Rambo,
"INTIMIDATE" the public with all of your high tech toys and
they will throw the fear of god into you....
As for Carter's comment, if not the case as you see it, then
why not also supply Barney with bulletproof shoes because these
clowns have a habit of shooting themselves in the foot...
Ohhhhhhh, and are these blankets large enough to cover a TV in
case one of them decides to practice his quick draw skills with
a loaded weapon again?????
idgit

Essex Junction, VT

#14 Jan 9, 2011
XV,

U R N A ss hole

Bennington

#15 Jan 9, 2011
X-Vermonter wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh you poor poor child you!!!!!
These are not tools of the trade unless you think like Rambo,
"INTIMIDATE" the public with all of your high tech toys and
they will throw the fear of god into you....
As for Carter's comment, if not the case as you see it, then
why not also supply Barney with bulletproof shoes because these
clowns have a habit of shooting themselves in the foot...
Ohhhhhhh, and are these blankets large enough to cover a TV in
case one of them decides to practice his quick draw skills with
a loaded weapon again?????
As I said, I have no problem with them buying these if they do.
ricochet rabbit

Queensbury, NY

#16 Jan 9, 2011
i guess bpd don't know that 9mm bullets will ricochet off of car door spars, steering wheels, shifting levers, nuts, bolts and springs. they didn't even stand back 25 feet. even with soft lead 22. bullets, steel can throw lead 20 feet with deadly force. and shooting a high power rifle at steel at close range is stupid. the rifle bullet that missed the plate and the rifle bullet that ricocheted off the plate went a mile or so before stopping. this information about bullet energy can be found on the out side of any box of bullets. and scooter you don't know any thing about guns or gun safety so your opinon is worthless.

Bennington

#17 Jan 9, 2011
ricochet rabbit wrote:
i guess bpd don't know that 9mm bullets will ricochet off of car door spars, steering wheels, shifting levers, nuts, bolts and springs. they didn't even stand back 25 feet. even with soft lead 22. bullets, steel can throw lead 20 feet with deadly force. and shooting a high power rifle at steel at close range is stupid. the rifle bullet that missed the plate and the rifle bullet that ricocheted off the plate went a mile or so before stopping. this information about bullet energy can be found on the out side of any box of bullets. and scooter you don't know any thing about guns or gun safety so your opinon is worthless.
The phone number to the BPD is in the book.
ricochet rabbit

Queensbury, NY

#18 Jan 9, 2011
scooter, you can't fix stupid and stupid all ways fixes it self. that is why i am glad you are anti gun. at least you know guns are too dangerous for you to handle.

Bennington

#19 Jan 9, 2011
ricochet rabbit wrote:
scooter, you can't fix stupid and stupid all ways fixes it self. that is why i am glad you are anti gun. at least you know guns are too dangerous for you to handle.
And where did you get the idea that I am anti gun??????

“Make your word impeccable.”

Since: Jul 09

East Bumble

#20 Jan 9, 2011
ricochet rabbit wrote:
Another use for duct tape, you can fix stupid with it! By wrapping enough layers tightly around the nose and mouth of the person who is controlled by stupid. Problem solved.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bennington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Urban gangs quiet but active in Vermont (Sep '10) 3 hr markey FanClub 14
Southwestern Vermont Medical Center prepares fo... 19 hr Dr Pendyke 2
Help Wanted-Sistums Enjunear (Jan '14) Mon whirled trabbeler 53
What type of town is Bennington (Sep '13) Oct 19 Kiel_Cuum_Spunj 289
28 countries (Oct '13) Oct 19 Kiel_Cuum_Spunj 310
Frustrated (Nov '13) Oct 19 Kiel_Cuum_Spunj 54
Job Fair finds more jobs than workers Oct 16 Kiel_Cuum_Spunj 3
Bennington Dating
Find my Match

Bennington Jobs