Accident victim may be charged

Accident victim may be charged

There are 65 comments on the Bennington Banner story from Mar 17, 2009, titled Accident victim may be charged. In it, Bennington Banner reports that:

Police have identified the man whose lower legs were run-over by a freight train on Sunday evening in downtown Hoosick Falls.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bennington Banner.

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#42 Mar 19, 2009
Dazed and amazed... Is that track they talking about where he got hit have signs that say no pedestions? do not cross here do not lay on tracks drunk sober or other wise? Or is it just a pass the word don't do it for those without COMMON SENCE!!!! You would have to be completly anebrated to lay on railroad tracks and oblivious to your surrounding, Or maybe just maybe he fell and hit his head and passed out on the tracks??? <<(questions)

I would thing he is going to pay for this for the rest of his life why would the town/Village of Hoosick falls even be concidering this?? It does seem like a waste of time and money. I mean exspecially if it is but a 50.00 dollar ticket. that he probably would beat in curt and it would cost them more then that to take to court...

I don't think he should be able to file a suit of any kind I mean it wasn't like he was sober and It sounds like it was basiclly his own fault this happen so he will have to deal with this accadent his actions caused..
Real Vermonter

Boston, MA

#43 Mar 19, 2009
Why are they calling him an accident victim? Was the investigation over right from the begining? We know he was troubled, his friend told us that right here in black and white!
Nichole

AOL

#44 Mar 20, 2009
I find it unbelievable how pathetic some of you people are!! X-Vermonter you are the most ignorant!!! I am Charlies cousin and I know what happened that day. You don't. So why don't you quit while you are ahead. He WAS on his way home, and if you live in Hoosick Falls you know that the tracks run right through the middle of the village. SO HE HAD TO CROSS THEM! He didn't get hit by a train intensionally. He does not have a drinking problem Real Vermonter!!! But none of you know him and that he is a great person and didn't deserve this. He was knocked unconscious when he hit his head, but I guess that doesn't matter to any of you redneck hillbillies does it?? You all need to get a life and stop commenting on other peoples lives when you don't know what the hell is going on!!

“Barking up a tree!”

Since: Jun 08

Bennington

#45 Mar 20, 2009
Nichole wrote:
He does not have a drinking problem Real Vermonter!!!
If he didn't have a drinking problem he does now!

According to police.....

"Niles had been drinking heavily before lying down on the tracks between Center and Elm streets"

We know we don't get all the facts in a story, Nor do we have to know an individual. Most of us have lived life for awhile and call em the way we see em or in this case Read Em.

My Opinion is My Opinion.
Real Vermonter

Boston, MA

#47 Mar 20, 2009
Why didn't one of your idiots who know so much give the poor unlucky drunkin fool a ride home Nichole? If not because he was drunk but because he is family or a friend or just out of the kindness of your heartless hearts! Rides for drunks has been discussed in depth on all formats! No one ever learns and this won't be the last time either which will prove it! I'm not picking on the drunk, I'm picking on every freaking body else! Be REAL!
Becky

United States

#48 Mar 20, 2009
you guys are all retards you dont have anything better to do then comment other peoples lives...if it was any of your business...he was getting a ride home with his friend and he went to get something to eat and was crossing the tracks back...he wasnt drunk he wasnt shit faced..you guys just need to fucking stop..he saw the train coming and was trying to get off the tracks as soon as he could but tripped and fell knocked him unconscious and by the time he woke up it was too late..he heard the whistles and everything but he couldnt get up the only thing he could do is lay down in the tracks and tuck his head in his lap and wait for the train ... in the meantime he got his legs cut off..it was either his head or his legs and if i were him i would choose legs too...so all of you aholes need to grow the hell up and worry about your own livesss!!!!!!
Real Vermonter

Boston, MA

#50 Mar 20, 2009
He wasnt drunk? He wasnt chit faced? If thats true I'd hate to see him if he was! Why couldn't he get away from the train? Was he running in the same direction as the train? A "normal" man could have out manuvered in one way or another a train traveling at that speed but he didn't! Why? I can't wait to hear his case against the train company? It's starting to stink already! The quality of his witnesses are questionable!
Real Vermonter

Boston, MA

#52 Mar 20, 2009
It's not like it snuck up on him! I mean the track is straight for how many feet in both directions? I use to fish 25 feet from a railroad track where the train did 30-40mph and I wauld say that hundreds of trains past all of the people who fished there and there was never an incident! One time and this smuck gets clobbered by a slow moving train! Get REAL!
Becky

Latham, NY

#53 Mar 20, 2009
whatever maybe you guys really need to grow up...i know what i know because me and my friend talked to him..the guy is in a lot of pain...everyone makes mistakes yea he was on the tracks it doesnt make him a bad person....you wouldnt believe how many people walk on the tracks there are train tracks in salem that have 4-wheeler trails right beside it and no one gives a shit about that..no1 is asking any of you to feel sorry for charlie....hes got his friends and family for all the support and comfort because alls you guys are worried about is running your mouths!! the articles are not right...how did they know he was wasted they didnt even take any tests or anything..if the train was only going 10 miles per hour and saw something from 500 ft away.. why the heck couldnt the conducter stop?....you guys are a bunch of aholes that do not give a crap about anyone but yourselves..so why dont u get a life and worry about your own....
Elmer Fudd

Newmarket, NH

#54 Mar 20, 2009
Becky wrote:
whatever maybe you guys really need to grow up...i know what i know because me and my friend talked to him..the guy is in a lot of pain...everyone makes mistakes yea he was on the tracks it doesnt make him a bad person....you wouldnt believe how many people walk on the tracks there are train tracks in salem that have 4-wheeler trails right beside it and no one gives a **** about that..no1 is asking any of you to feel sorry for charlie....hes got his friends and family for all the support and comfort because alls you guys are worried about is running your mouths!! the articles are not right...how did they know he was wasted they didnt even take any tests or anything..if the train was only going 10 miles per hour and saw something from 500 ft away.. why the heck couldnt the conducter stop?....you guys are a bunch of aholes that do not give a **** about anyone but yourselves..so why dont u get a life and worry about your own....
Was he drunk or not?

If not, please give a plausible explanation how he got run over by a train.

Anyone who walks on trains tracks should be aware that trains run on them.
Real Vermonter

Boston, MA

#55 Mar 20, 2009
Maybe Becky is on to something! "Me and my friend talked to him" sounds plausible! "The guy is in a lot of pain" sounds plausible! "Everyone makes mistakes" sounds plausible! "Yea he was on the tracks" sounds plausible! "You wouldnt believe how many people walk on the tracks" Now this is where it takes a turn! Sounds plausible but with all those people on the tracks why don't more get hit by a train? "Hes got his friends and family for all the support and comfort" and where were they the day he got hit by the train? Maybe if he had them then this wouldn't have happened! 10 miles per! A human walks at 3-5mph! Runs a lot faster! Something tells me these guys are related to or friends with the Michael Brillo clan!
Becky

Schenectady, NY

#56 Mar 21, 2009
he tripped when he was getting off the tracks and smacked his head knocked him out...whatever im not explaining anything to you people..you people are heartless and you dont give a crap about anyone but yourselves...have a good life..something to remember**theres always karma
Real Vermonter

Boston, MA

#57 Mar 21, 2009
Karma = The train will kill any dumb thing that gets in front of it!
Ex Ms Mayor

Watervliet, NY

#58 Mar 21, 2009
So let me get this straight, Mr. Charlie was hunting and he saw a set of tracks. Deducing that the tracks must belong to some form of prey he decided to follow them. His attention being only on these tracks, the sly, nimble, stealth locomotive was able to sneak up on him and attack this poor man when his back was turned. Sounds like more than probable cause to hire a lawyer and sue everyone involved
Real Vermonter

Boston, MA

#59 Mar 21, 2009
Have you ever heard this train? At 10mph it would wake the dead! Was he dead already and the train brought him back to life as it cut off his lower extremities? Good thing it didn't cut off any higher! At least he can't sue for loss of use of his thingy! How did this really happen?

“Barking up a tree!”

Since: Jun 08

Bennington

#60 Mar 21, 2009
Becky wrote:
how did they know he was wasted they didnt even take any tests or anything..if the train was only going 10 miles per hour and saw something from 500 ft away.. why the heck couldnt the conducter stop?...
1. We know when a person drinks heavily you can smell them a mile away.

2. The train was 300 ft away at 10 miles an hour. That may be slow but the amount of time it takes for a freight train to stop depends on how many cars it is pulling and how much weight is being carried.
Real Vermonter

Boston, MA

#61 Mar 21, 2009
And a lot of other factors! Maybe they should mount a Trace Portal Machine or K-9 dog to the front of each train then when it is detected that something up ahead isn't quite right the brakes can come on immediately even if it is just a false alarm! Better than running over a single drunk who couldn't stay off the tracks and costing everyone a fortune!
Mach

Pittsfield, MA

#62 Mar 29, 2009
curious, where was he getting something to eat, Grand Union or McDonalds? Those are the only two places to eat across the tracks and they are a good walk from the area. Wasn't there something to eat at the bars?
Real Vermonter

Boston, MA

#63 Mar 29, 2009
We'll have to wait for trial because no one is talking!
TOWN RESIDENT

Watervliet, NY

#64 Mar 31, 2009
Just shows the apathy for Hoosick Falls, nobody cares anymore, how sad

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bennington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Two face cocaine charges, one faces deportation 6 hr Dr Pendyke 7
News Vermont unemployment rate drops to 3.1 percent ... Sat realElmerFudd 3
News Letters: A a thoughtlessa remark (Sep '10) Fri realElmerFudd 16
News Up to 10 years for man caught with 600 bags of ... Fri realElmerFudd 13
chris harrington and the country drifters??!!?? (Sep '11) Jun '17 Yut 22
Pills and Other Research Chems Jun '17 painmeds 1
led cup lights Jun '17 High Sherrif Markey 2

Bennington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance