Rec Center could close if bond fails Murphy: Repairs are needed, whether center expands or not

The town's recreation center faces the possibility of closing if voters reject a ballot article seeking authority to bond for needed repairs, according to a town official. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sheetrock

Keene, NH

#1 Feb 23, 2011
Name one business that has been attracted to this town because of the rec center? That's right NONE. Next they will tell us businesses are closing all over town because the rec center is in disrepair. If Murphy cannot speak as an employee of the town on this issue but can as a resident of the town, isn't he talking out of both sides of his mouth????
Wag the dog

Sharon, CT

#2 Feb 23, 2011
Sheetrock wrote:
If Murphy cannot speak as an employee of the town on this issue but can as a resident of the town, isn't he talking out of both sides of his mouth????
No.
One is speaking as an official representative of his employer, the other is his personal opinion which he is free to give as an American citizen, regardless of whether it is or isn't the same as his employer.
Fred

Fernandina Beach, FL

#3 Feb 23, 2011
This rec center deal is so typical of government. They have NO MONEY saved for contingencies because they spend every dime they get their hands on and then some. Then, all of a sudden, it's an "emergency." They knew the building was old and, like you and me, should have prepared for it. No. They don't work that way. They want to spend more of our money. This bond is just a way to get into our pockets but look like they are not. This bond should be voted down. I can't afford to pay more taxes for a center that only a small part of the community uses.
Ray Miro of Shaftsbury

United States

#4 Feb 23, 2011
That's the point. Many more people should be using the center around town instead of bellying up to buffet lines, smoking on the street corners, and drugging their lives away. Another fool who thinks something positive for kids should fall to the ground in ashes. Get people off their duffs and make vthem work. My taxpaying dollars are being sucked up by the many around here that think it is alright to go on disability when they are quite capable of working.
GrnMtnBoy

Watseka, IL

#5 Feb 23, 2011
"It’s outlived its useful life span"

After only 40 yrs.?? Something wrong in that statement. Lack of maintenance is the problems.
GrnMtnBoy

Watseka, IL

#6 Feb 23, 2011
Ray Miro of Shaftsbury wrote:
That's the point. Many more people should be using the center around town instead of bellying up to buffet lines, smoking on the street corners, and drugging their lives away. Another fool who thinks something positive for kids should fall to the ground in ashes. Get people off their duffs and make vthem work. My taxpaying dollars are being sucked up by the many around here that think it is alright to go on disability when they are quite capable of working.
DITTO.

Well said
R U kidding me

Bennington, VT

#7 Feb 23, 2011
Vote it down. It's more of a liability and eyesore than it is a town benefit. It is a place for people to loiter and if you sit in the parking lot for a few minutes you can even watch the drug deals going down. Take away the town freebie and let our kids get jobs and life skills they can actually use and feel good about.
same ole

Brookline, MA

#8 Feb 23, 2011
where was Murphy when all this building decay was happening? Sounds like he hasn't been doing his job too well...
Workout lady

Saratoga Springs, NY

#9 Feb 23, 2011
The user fees on the center are extremely low. I am glad to see it available to everyone, but the amount raised is not enough to support the facility, and make necessary improvements. I would be happy to pay more to have a better rec center. I urge my fellow voters to say yes to the ballot initiative.
R U kidding me

Bennington, VT

#10 Feb 23, 2011
Workout lady wrote:
The user fees on the center are extremely low. I am glad to see it available to everyone, but the amount raised is not enough to support the facility, and make necessary improvements. I would be happy to pay more to have a better rec center. I urge my fellow voters to say yes to the ballot initiative.
You are absolutely correct! The structure of the services needs to change not just building. Offer more services for kids, seniors, and families like the YMCA does to better our community AND provide jobs. All of that costs more but you actually get what you are paying for.

“Proud American and Vermonter”

Since: Feb 09

Bennington

#11 Feb 23, 2011
The armory will be available in 2-3 years, that's time line that has been given the the new armory. Get the armory building the same way we got the building where the PD is and use that as the new rec center. There is plenty of room to do everything that should be done.
LSU

Framingham, MA

#12 Feb 23, 2011
Scott05201 wrote:
The armory will be available in 2-3 years, that's time line that has been given the the new armory. Get the armory building the same way we got the building where the PD is and use that as the new rec center. There is plenty of room to do everything that should be done.
Scooter's back in the house!!!!!!
The Other White Meat

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#13 Feb 23, 2011
Could have gotten Catamount or the Jr High.

“Proud American and Vermonter”

Since: Feb 09

Bennington

#14 Feb 24, 2011
The Other White Meat wrote:
Could have gotten Catamount or the Jr High.
I guess the Catamount building would be ok, but the old Jr High building there's not a lot of parking. I just think trying to get the armory building after they build the new one is a much better choice then putting all that money into the rec center we have now.
Vermont Transplant

Bennington, VT

#15 Feb 24, 2011
These things didn"t happen overnight nor did this building fall into disrepair in the last year. Is there not a gov't grant they could apply for that would cover the repairs? When I see grants available for the Prevention of the spread of HIV for those whom fit a certain profile in RUSSIA yes RUSSIA I no longer wonder why America is in the red. Charity starts at home everywhere but here. Just another eyesore waiting to happen in Bennington.
An Old Vet

Raymond, NH

#16 Jul 3, 2011
Listen, folks. We all know in life that you get what you pay for. The Rec Center charges about $100 a year for a family. That was all well and good in the eighteenth century. We who utilize the Rec Center need to belly up and pay a more reasonable price that will help sustain and improve the Rec Center. As far as the drugs are concerned, that is our (the community's) problem. Law enforcement will do their job if we notify them of the situation. It's time for us to stop pointing fingers and act by being more responsible. We all own a piece of the Rec Center whether we like it or nor because it's part of our community. Welcome your comments.

Since: Feb 11

McHenry, MD

#17 Jul 3, 2011
An Old Vet wrote:
Listen, folks. We all know in life that you get what you pay for. The Rec Center charges about $100 a year for a family. That was all well and good in the eighteenth century. We who utilize the Rec Center need to belly up and pay a more reasonable price that will help sustain and improve the Rec Center. As far as the drugs are concerned, that is our (the community's) problem. Law enforcement will do their job if we notify them of the situation. It's time for us to stop pointing fingers and act by being more responsible. We all own a piece of the Rec Center whether we like it or nor because it's part of our community. Welcome your comments.
That "Rec Center" was the dream of a few with the interest of a few, not the majority.... Now it's a majority problem!!!!!!
How do health clubs in major cities survive today, but 20 years ago they were going out of business as fast as they opened?????
They incorporated "Wellness Centers" within, staffed by registered physical therapist, which are paid through workers comp and other insurance carriers.... Every piece of equipment needed for physical therapy is in that building and appointments could be scheduled around normal activities.... You merely sublet office and parking space and at the same time you are possibly recruiting
new members who otherwise wouldn't even come through the front door....
Itsme

Saratoga Springs, NY

#18 Jul 3, 2011
Alexs Tavern LLC wrote:
<quoted text>
That "Rec Center" was the dream of a few with the interest of a few, not the majority.... Now it's a majority problem!!!!!!
How do health clubs in major cities survive today, but 20 years ago they were going out of business as fast as they opened?????
They incorporated "Wellness Centers" within, staffed by registered physical therapist, which are paid through workers comp and other insurance carriers.... Every piece of equipment needed for physical therapy is in that building and appointments could be scheduled around normal activities.... You merely sublet office and parking space and at the same time you are possibly recruiting
new members who otherwise wouldn't even come through the front door....
HaHaHaHaHaHaHa!
Itsme

Saratoga Springs, NY

#19 Jul 3, 2011
HaHaHaHaHaHaHa!

Since: Feb 11

McHenry, MD

#22 Jul 4, 2011
OMG LOL'L GFYS

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bennington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Frustrated (Nov '13) 3 hr markey da masshole 77
Help Wanted-Sistums Enjunear (Jan '14) 3 hr markey da masshole 71
Walmart protest in Bennington 18 hr face it markey 11
What type of town is Bennington (Sep '13) Dec 23 Elmer_J_Fudd 309
Vt. couple charged in child sex assault Dec 21 hillbilly stumpwater 3
Blast from the past (Jul '13) Dec 21 uaw markey masshole 3
Who is this new poster Mark Santelli? (Nov '10) Dec 20 another markey fan 14
Bennington Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web