School Lunches in Georgetown

School Lunches in Georgetown

Posted in the Benham Forum

Tired Teacher

Winchester, KY

#1 Feb 5, 2013
Two of my sons attend one of the middle schools in town. They choose to purchase lunch from school every day. In the past, this has not been a problem, but this year I've found that I'm having to spend double what I paid last year. I've looked online an discovered that they are frequenly purchasing a full lunch and then paying an additional two dollars for a second entree. This brings their lunch total to $4.35. To me that is outrageous. They claim that they are hungry and cannot get enough to eat. Both of my sons are extremely active and very thin. I realize that they are supposed to fill up on fruits and vegetables, but I don't even think that would be enough. I know that I'm still hungry after eating a bag of carrots or bowl of grapes! Hunger affects that ability of children to learn-I keep snacks in my room for children who cannot afford breakfast at home or didn't have time to eat. I'm concerned that other students without the means to pay for an extra entree leave the lunchroom still hungry. I know obesity is a problem in our country, but I'm not sure this is the best solution. I know my pocketbook doesn't like it!

Since: Feb 13

United States

#2 Feb 5, 2013
yummy
Tired Teacher wrote:
Two of my sons attend one of the middle schools in town. They choose to purchase lunch from school every day. In the past, this has not been a problem, but this year I've found that I'm having to spend double what I paid last year. I've looked online an discovered that they are frequenly purchasing a full lunch and then paying an additional two dollars for a second entree. This brings their lunch total to $4.35. To me that is outrageous. They claim that they are hungry and cannot get enough to eat. Both of my sons are extremely active and very thin. I realize that they are supposed to fill up on fruits and vegetables, but I don't even think that would be enough. I know that I'm still hungry after eating a bag of carrots or bowl of grapes! Hunger affects that ability of children to learn-I keep snacks in my room for children who cannot afford breakfast at home or didn't have time to eat. I'm concerned that other students without the means to pay for an extra entree leave the lunchroom still hungry. I know obesity is a problem in our country, but I'm not sure this is the best solution. I know my pocketbook doesn't like it!
Happening all over

United States

#3 Feb 5, 2013
The government will not let the lunch room feed the kids right, everything is in small portion! We all know that they r going to extreme! When we were in school we ate lunches of good tasting meals with salt and pepper, ketchup, and dessert ! We were just fine in our size! We all know they don't allow enough exercise time for those kids! That is why half of them have stomach problems now! And who can think straight when they r hungry! We all know that half the kids r throwing it away because it taste nasty! And the government is not solving the problem they r just creating another! Malnutrition, from lack of food! Some of that nasty food, if we all would admit, we wouldn't even touch!
whatever

Louisville, KY

#4 Feb 6, 2013
School lunch has never been great. That's just the nature of institutional-quality food prepared on a huge scale. I don't remember ever looking particularly forward to lunch for the meal itself -- pizza with CORN...who does that?-- but more toward getting a break from class. Actually, I didn't even eat lunch pretty much throughout high school, but instead chose to spend that time playing basketball.

The bottom line is that if your kids won't eat it, giving them more of it isn't going to help, and if they will eat it but you feel like they're not getting enough, then take the initiative and start packing a lunch that you feel is adequate and nutritious.

When they throw THAT away and continue to complain about being hungry like the spoiled little brats they ALL can be at times, at least you'll gain a little perspective on the situation.
To whatever

Chicago, IL

#5 Feb 6, 2013
Do not know about u? But I would eat lunch! I wasn't spoiled and decided to skip it and go play basketball! Healthier that way, because I knew when I got home, I would have to change clothes , go work with father on farm and then come in take a shower, eat. Do homework, get ready for bed! Talking about spoiled! This was probably way before your time! I was taught waste not want not! Apparently it wasn't working for u either! Need to know how to be dirt poor first and wonder where the next meal comes from first I guess! Now who is the spoiled brat! And there was less thrown away then then there is now! I know worked in lunch room! Lol
Maybe

Langley, KY

#6 Feb 8, 2013
Maybe you pack your child's lunch. You would save money and they would get more food...maybe instead of complaining on topix you could just work on a solution :)
maybe i did pack lunch

Belvidere, IL

#7 Feb 8, 2013
Did for kid! They r trading food ! U a smart man! Lol
student

Tucker, GA

#8 Feb 9, 2013
It sucks because im vegetarian and there are no vegetarian choices unless you ask them to remake something without meet for you... And i wont pack my lunch because i get reduced lunch anyways so im saving money not packing .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Benham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GM bonus much better than any bonus toyota has ... 3 hr Big Dookie 67
If TMMK votes UAW. What would you bargain for? (Feb '16) 3 hr Big Dookie 188
GM bonus 11,750.00 come on toyota 3 hr Big Dookie 100
Tired of toyota (Dec '13) 3 hr Big Dookie 160
Glad I Retired before TMMK taken over by snowfl... 3 hr Big Dookie 12
CHIPS kpi Bonus system at TMMK (Jun '15) 3 hr Big Dookie 39
Toyota pay cut (Jan '13) 3 hr Big Dookie 211

Benham Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance