Mine closures strain Eastern Kentucky...

Mine closures strain Eastern Kentucky ministry centers

There are 4 comments on the Floyd County Times story from Sep 21, 2012, titled Mine closures strain Eastern Kentucky ministry centers. In it, Floyd County Times reports that:

Ministries in Eastern Kentucky are bracing for a tough winter as hundreds of Eastern Kentucky residents have been furloughed or have lost their jobs entirely because of drastic reductions in coal production.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Floyd County Times.

Stimulus

Cape Coral, FL

#1 Sep 22, 2012
We need another four years of Obama.
The welfare reform of 1996 requires that after three months on food stamps, recipients be engaged in some kind of work activity for at least 20 hours a week. Tucked away in the mammoth 2009 so-called “stimulus” spending bill was the suspension of this requirement for able-bodied adults with no children.
The result has been that between 2008 and 2010, the number of these able-bodied adults on food stamps doubled—from 1.9 million to 3.9 million, according to CRS.(Total participation is now at roughly 47 million, or one in seven Americans.)Let us buy more Vote's with our tax dollar. Food Stamps or wiskey!
Poppy

Corbin, KY

#2 Sep 23, 2012
You are right about this. It seems as though, however, that this is what a lot of Americans want. American values seems to have dropped. Whatever happened to the American pride of wanting to work hard for what you get? More and more people seem to want the government to supply their every need. We can't get a good job market going if we keep paying folks not to work. Too many people will pass on a job because they can have an easier life living off of the government. It's suppose to be there to help folks get back on their feet when they need it not supply them for life.
Missing the point

Frankfort, KY

#3 Sep 28, 2012
Instead of trying to turn this article into a political debate, why dont we take it to heart and make a true effort to give to those food banks and other resources that are having a difficult time. If we are able to give something, even one can of food, to the food banks for the less fortunate that is something. Instead of being negative all the time let's do something positive. Let's help others who are in need right now. I am sure with as little as you might have, if you look around, someone else has even less.
Regardless of who wins the election, there will always be people in need. We need to focus more on lifting others up instead of putting others down. I hope people will give to these centers and help out our neighbors in need. I know I will because There, but for the Grace of God, go I.
Poppy

Corbin, KY

#4 Sep 29, 2012
Wether anyone likes it or not, this is a political issue. I wish it wasn't myself. I help people as much as I can. Problem is, there are more and more people out of work. Some want to be and some don't. The non working folks are starting to out number the working folks. It's getting really hard to keep up with the growing number of the jobless. The administration and their EPA needs to be doing what they can to keep these mines open so these folks can feed their families. Not trying their best to shut them down. The best way to help folks like these is to let them work not give them a can of beans and say good luck to you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Benham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Help with different ways to get hired by Toyota (Jun '16) 10 min mokh 24
People who fool around at work together 13 min mokh 19
Best in bed??? Who's good and who's lame??? 7 hr Cookies and Cream 9
Georgetown Sex Offenders (Sep '10) 7 hr trust very true 45
wig eldridge 12 hr cool cat 8
f**k Ggurl (Apr '09) 12 hr Mkg 9
Amazon 15 hr Mistakes 1

Benham Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance