My two cents

Ballwin, MO

#1208 Mar 18, 2013
Your story may be an interesting work of fiction. What does this girl look like? About how old is she?
Is this accurate wrote:
<quoted text> Fort Worth in a neighborhood that many travelers also live in. Example: 2 homes down from me a traveller family owns and many others on my street are owned by travellers
itzwitchy

Durham, NC

#1209 Mar 18, 2013
tell all wrote:
<quoted text> yeah there is no way it should be classified as angloromani because ITs have no romani blood in them traditionally, now there may be a few who have some due to marriage between the english travellers (romanichal/rumney) and themselfs but that doesnt happen all the time.
From what little I've read so far? The 'linguistics experts' are combining the English/Scots and Irish travellers all together in the 'Anglo' part of the name. The 'romani' portion is self-explanatory. The theory is that for many centuries, nomadic Rom clans were pretty much the only other itinerant group in any significant numbers roving over the British Islands along with its indigenous Irish, English and Scots travellers. As paths crossed, so did language. They were all people of the road; incorporating words of each others' languages into their own would be an inevitable expectation over so such a very long time.

I might add Basque, Hebrew and other languages to the 'Cant word soup' but the prefix 'anglo' in the name annoyed me. I automatically bristle at Irish anything being lumped in with the Brits or Scots. Not logical, I know.
Tim Pat Coogan

Miami, FL

#1210 Mar 19, 2013
itzwitchy wrote:
<quoted text>
From what little I've read so far? The 'linguistics experts' are combining the English/Scots and Irish travellers all together in the 'Anglo' part of the name. The 'romani' portion is self-explanatory. The theory is that for many centuries, nomadic Rom clans were pretty much the only other itinerant group in any significant numbers roving over the British Islands along with its indigenous Irish, English and Scots travellers. As paths crossed, soio did language. They were all people of the road; incorporating words of each others' languages into their own would be an inevitable expectation over so such a very long time.
I might add Basque, Hebrew and other languages to the 'Cant word soup' but the prefix 'anglo' in the name annoyed me. I automatically bristle at Irish anything being lumped in with the Brits or Scots. Not logical, I know.
Witchy the Scottish Travellers do tend to incorparate quite a few romani words into their cant. It's just not the case with the Irish. Quute a few of the words we use I simply Irish, I was floored the 1st time I heard a non-Traveller say eejit or crature.. lol. Having been to Ireland several times you'll know those are common expressions..
Tim Pat Coogan

Miami, FL

#1211 Mar 19, 2013
My two cents wrote:
Your story may be an interesting work of fiction. What does this girl look like? About how old is she?<quoted text>
Its a very odd tale indeed..It's said everyone knows everyone in a small town, well picture a small town where everyone is related by either blood or marriage, and usually both...Such a situation would be known by everyone, and a great source of shame for the family, almost certainly causing them to move..Not buying it..
itzwitchy

Durham, NC

#1212 Mar 19, 2013
Tim Pat Coogan wrote:
<quoted text>Witchy the Scottish Travellers do tend to incorparate quite a few romani words into their cant. It's just not the case with the Irish. Quute a few of the words we use I simply Irish, I was floored the 1st time I heard a non-Traveller say eejit or crature.. lol. Having been to Ireland several times you'll know those are common expressions..
Yeah, along with 'brilliant'. They use it even more than Brits do. Gotta love the Irish...the only ones who use 'fook' or 'fakk' in everyday conversation as much as I sometimes do.
OK, you know I'm a 'culture crawler'. I recently ran across an article from somewhere in the midwest about a group of 'Irish Travellers' who had been caught doing something bad. The last names reported were all Traveller names for sure but I was really surprised at the combination. The Surnames reported were: Stanley (brit), McNally (IT), Marks (Rom), Small (brit), Stewart (Scot) and a 'terrible Williamson'(Scot). In addition? The Rom sisters on TV have the surname Stanley (brit).

First of all, the entire group was identified as Irish Travellers which only shows how stupid we Americans can be. I was also more than surprised to see so many different flavor Traveller names all mixed up together in any enterprise.

It struck me as really unusual but there could be a lot more of 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' coalitions among the Traveller groups in America than I'm aware of...

Maybe some of you ITs can explain. I DO know there was a lot more blood mixing in both Britain and Scotland with Rom and the indigenous travellers than in Ireland, not that there wasn't any.

Was that as unusual a grouping as I thought or is there a lot more combining of tribes together than I know about?
Is this accurate

United States

#1213 Mar 19, 2013
My two cents wrote:
Your story may be an interesting work of fiction. What does this girl look like? About how old is she?<quoted text>
Looks: She is about 5 feet in height, maybe 100lbs on a bad day. Black hair, blue eyes and some freckles. The biggest give away of her being a traveller (besides the fact that she told me and the way she looks and dresses) is her accent. One that only the travellers around here have. Also the way she talks. She will say things like comical instead of funny and just other things like that, she has taught my son words in her language. she also has the same last name as many other travellers around here. Age: 17 she went to school with my son while they were in elementry but quit before intermediate school. But to address the fiction part of your statment I can tell you this is very much true and I was just as confused by it as i'm sure many of you are because I heard they dont date outside of eachother But all together I am just worried about my sons safety so I googled them and it led me to this forum.
My two cents

Ballwin, MO

#1214 Mar 19, 2013
Sill not buying it. It really dosent fit any discriptions of any one I'm familiar with..... I'm sure she has a name, right?
Is this accurate wrote:
<quoted text> Looks: She is about 5 feet in height, maybe 100lbs on a bad day. Black hair, blue eyes and some freckles. The biggest give away of her being a traveller (besides the fact that she told me and the way she looks and dresses) is her accent. One that only the travellers around here have. Also the way she talks. She will say things like comical instead of funny and just other things like that, she has taught my son words in her language. she also has the same last name as many other travellers around here. Age: 17 she went to school with my son while they were in elementry but quit before intermediate school. But to address the fiction part of your statment I can tell you this is very much true and I was just as confused by it as i'm sure many of you are because I heard they dont date outside of eachother But all together I am just worried about my sons safety so I googled them and it led me to this forum.
Tim Pat Coogan

Miami, FL

#1215 Mar 19, 2013
Well if true she I's a genuine wild child and you can be absolutely sure her family does not know..Which if true explains the late night visits when she wouldn't be noticed..Your parcity of detail still makes me very suspect of this story.I.T. girls live on facebook like every other teenager, and Travellers love to dig up dirt on each other..Very hard to see in that environment how something like that could be kept on the D.L. as they say..More info please...Your description is pretty generic for our girls, how bout a name
Tim Pat Coogan

Miami, FL

#1216 Mar 19, 2013
itzwitchy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, along with 'brilliant'. They use it even more than Brits do. Gotta love the Irish...the only ones who use 'fook' or 'fakk' in everyday conversation as much as I sometimes do.
OK, you know I'm a 'culture crawler'. I recently ran across an article from somewhere in the midwest about a group of 'Irish Travellers' who had been caught doing something bad. The last names reported were all Traveller names for sure but I was really surprised at the combination. The Surnames reported were: Stanley (brit), McNally (IT), Marks (Rom), Small (brit), Stewart (Scot) and a 'terrible Williamson'(Scot). In addition? The Rom sisters on TV have the surname Stanley (brit).
First of all, the entire group was identified as Irish Travellers which only shows how stupid we Americans can be. I was also more than surprised to see so many different flavor Traveller names all mixed up together in any enterprise.
It struck me as really unusual but there could be a lot more of 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' coalitions among the Traveller groups in America than I'm aware of...
Maybe some of you ITs can explain. I DO know there was a lot more blood mixing in both Britain and Scotland with Rom and the indigenous travellers than in Ireland, not that there wasn't any.
Was that as unusual a grouping as I thought or is there a lot more combining of tribes together than I know about?
That sounds really strange...What was the name of the article, I'd love to read it..Stanley & Small are Romanichel..
itzwitchy

Durham, NC

#1217 Mar 19, 2013
I know, right? That is exactly what I thought too. Honestly? whenever I see articles about ITs anywhere? The minute I see buzz phrases like,'Watch out, it's time for the annual Irish Travelers to come to town'...I don't even bother reading them. Same BS, different day. Now, when it is actually an article that is interesting about ITs or names names? I'll stop and read it. It's very interesting to me to see how cultures and languages evolve over time according to the conditions on their ground.

I've been 'studying' ITs a lot longer than anyone ever heard of them before the Madelyn Toogood episode. I bet I read thousands and thousands of pages of material on them and other 'hidden America' groups every year. I even have two ancient college degrees in this stuff. It's just my 'thing'.
I can't even remember which state it happened in....somewhere between Ohio and Idaho. The rest of the article was exactly what you'd expect. "A group of Irish Travelers were arrested in..., blah, blah, blah." The 'odd combo' of Traveller names was the only actual detail that stuck in my mind and I've been scratching my head since. When I say 'recent'? It's relative to the length of time I've been following cultures. It could have been about a year to two years ago but not longer.

I was hoping one of you guys could explain it.
itzwitchy

Durham, NC

#1218 Mar 19, 2013
...and the fact they were all labeled 'Irish Travellers'. The only IT name I saw there was McNally. Try googling 'Irish travellers McNally, Marks, Stanley arrested'......I dunno...
why

Fort Worth, TX

#1219 Mar 19, 2013
why do all of the scoth and english boys act like guthys
Tim Pat Coogan

Miami, FL

#1220 Mar 19, 2013
itzwitchy wrote:
...and the fact they were all labeled 'Irish Travellers'. The only IT name I saw there was McNally. Try googling 'Irish travellers McNally, Marks, Stanley arrested'......I dunno...
Yeah that's a Southern I.T. name by-in-large Witchy..Not impossible that a I.T. would hook up with Romani or even more likely a Scottish Travellers for a given job or two..A combo of all three strikes me as absurd..Particularly the Rom what we call Turks...lol
Is this accurate

United States

#1221 Mar 19, 2013
Her name is Mary and from my knowledge by what she has told my son, there are a few other girls who have done the same a few years back. she is a very sweet girl and even though her choice of clothing is a tad bit extreme for me sometimes she is a very self respecting young women and a devout catholic. What parent wouldnt approve of her! But the point is I'm not here to try and convince anyone that its happened or is happening I know what is going on in my house and the only reason I am here telling the story is because I do not wany any harm done to my son because of who he dates.
My two cents

Ballwin, MO

#1222 Mar 19, 2013
Date? Are you implying that they go out?
Is this accurate wrote:
Her name is Mary and from my knowledge by what she has told my son, there are a few other girls who have done the same a few years back. she is a very sweet girl and even though her choice of clothing is a tad bit extreme for me sometimes she is a very self respecting young women and a devout catholic. What parent wouldnt approve of her! But the point is I'm not here to try and convince anyone that its happened or is happening I know what is going on in my house and the only reason I am here telling the story is because I do not wany any harm done to my son because of who he dates.
Tim Pat Coogan

Miami, FL

#1223 Mar 19, 2013
Is this accurate wrote:
Just so you understand I.T.s don't "date" per say..Young I.T.s get to know each other by going out in large groups, generally with the girls brother or cousins..So your what your alleging would really be a real scandal..Mary is probably the most common I.T. girl name, what's Marys surname?
My two cents

Ballwin, MO

#1224 Mar 19, 2013
If it was true then his son would be wise to stop seeing her. And that's a big IF. Wouldn't you agree Tim?
Is this accurate

United States

#1225 Mar 19, 2013
I'm at work so it is taking me awhile to reply, but date is just the closest work I could call the situation. It isn't an every night thing and they have been to the movies once but they went to one a few citys away because she was terrified that othet travellers would see them. As for the last name I wont say because after the comment saying it would be wise for my son to stop seeing her it wouldnt be hard for someone to narrow down a 17 year old girl named Mary *insert what ever last name you prefer* and then that could lead some angry mob of people to my son! Like Tim said White Settlement/Fort Worth is a small city and everyone knows everyone and all they would have to do is stop a random local teenager and ask where is so and so and im sure they would know him from school or somewhere. So again this is all for my sons protection and I will have a few words for him after school about not seeing her anymore because based on this it seems like that would best idea for him.
Tim Pat Coogan

Hollywood, FL

#1226 Mar 19, 2013
My two cents wrote:
If it was true then his son would be wise to stop seeing her. And that's a big IF. Wouldn't you agree Tim?
I think it likely it's the other cull with the same thanum as that munkra Cents..If ya notice it'sjill hasn't thareed neejash in a bit, when previously it had more to tharee then ten culls..complete cunya..lol
Tell all

United States

#1227 Mar 19, 2013
Dawty! This is more entertaining than watchin tha hardmen eat like wild animals after I bring them food haha

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Benbrook Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Third Bandido arrested in motorcycle bar shooting Sat he who knocks 4
redneck with dixie horn Dec 23 benjamin 1
Backyard wrestlers in Dallas/Fort Worth TX area... (Jul '07) Dec 22 deputydog 7
As Statewide Smoking Ban Burns Out in Capitol, ... Dec 22 Pete 2
Fort Worth firefighters use oxygen to save cat Dec 22 DILF 2
Fort Worth sergeant sues city, police chief Dec 20 bite me 1
Aledo ISD owns a house at 15502 Old Weatherford... Dec 20 Mojo magic 1
Benbrook Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web