Irish traveller's
itzwitchy

Durham, NC

#1188 Mar 18, 2013
Tim Pat Coogan wrote:
<quoted text>Your smarter than me Witchy, I saw no cant at all in this rambling idiots post..lol..Don't believe he's a I.T. at all, probably lives near there..
You would certainly know better than me! That lad sounded a tad confused anyway.

I thought 'mag' meant 'cool' or 'great'? I also thought that 'looping' has a whole another meaning nobody but ITs use but I wouldn't say what I thought it is here. I told you I wish I could speak Cant! Hell, Irish is impossible enough. Grumble...silent 'd' in my name in Irish, indeed.

My bad...
Tell all

United States

#1189 Mar 18, 2013
itzwitchy wrote:
<quoted text>
You would certainly know better than me! That lad sounded a tad confused anyway.
I thought 'mag' meant 'cool' or 'great'? I also thought that 'looping' has a whole another meaning nobody but ITs use but I wouldn't say what I thought it is here. I told you I wish I could speak Cant! Hell, Irish is impossible enough. Grumble...silent 'd' in my name in Irish, indeed.
My bad...
would you like a list of some of some cant words or anything else?
Tim Pat Coogan

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#1190 Mar 18, 2013
itzwitchy wrote:
<quoted text>
My bad...
Those terms are Murphys Village specific.."Mag" is fairly new I believe..Just short for magnificent..Looping. literally means looping (driving) around The Village..Which all the settled people in that area know..
Tell all

United States

#1191 Mar 18, 2013
I'll tell everything and anything too anyone who asks no secrets or lies here
Tim Pat Coogan

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#1192 Mar 18, 2013
Tell all wrote:
I'll tell everything and anything too anyone who asks no secrets or lies here
A line from Dylan's Positively 4th street comes to mind "Do you take me for such a fool, to think that I'd make contact, With the one that tries to hide, what he don't know to begin with"..
itzwitchy

Durham, NC

#1193 Mar 18, 2013
Tell all wrote:
<quoted text> would you like a list of some of some cant words or anything else?
I'm new to this forum and have absolutely no idea who you are. Thank you for that kind offer but 'No thank you!' I cannot imagine any traveller offering to post what words in Cant mean in English in any public forum, for the love of God. It's Texas! Their haters are rabid dogs in heat and ITs are just the latest 'minority chew toys' since they're bored with all their old ones.

I'd think any IT coming on a forum like this with an offer like that would be likely to say the translation for 'apple' into Cant is actually the word that means 'a**hole. Hey! As a matter of fact? Why don't you teach me that Cant word for 'a**hole'? I can use it in our conversation right now. So....what is it?
tell all

United States

#1194 Mar 18, 2013
Haha I have no reason to not tell you I dont care who knows the cant lets start with a few basics mandy coms to haul cory = its nice to meet you!
tell all

United States

#1195 Mar 18, 2013
Misliers will jan by mandy last post that im kek irish but neejaysh worry sobyans I wouldnt let the jays jan any bit of yourgills tharee :)
My two cents

Lockhart, TX

#1196 Mar 18, 2013
Yes tell all I did like the movie but I agree the book was much better!
Tim Pat Coogan

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#1197 Mar 18, 2013
Both I.T. cant and the Romanichel language (both of which are in the post above) are easily Googled for someone really interested.
itzwitchy

Durham, NC

#1198 Mar 18, 2013
tell all wrote:
Misliers will jan by mandy last post that im kek irish but neejaysh worry sobyans I wouldnt let the jays jan any bit of yourgills tharee :)
And all I asked for was the translation for a**hole in Cant.
tell all

United States

#1199 Mar 18, 2013
My two cents wrote:
Yes tell all I did like the movie but I agree the book was much better!
yes the book was better but the cast in the movie did a great job haja
tell all

United States

#1200 Mar 18, 2013
Tim Pat Coogan wrote:
Both I.T. cant and the Romanichel language (both of which are in the post above) are easily Googled for someone really interested.
i've never seen any of the cant online except one website and it wasnt very accurate and was pretty outdated. And the romanichal language isnt much of a secret lol im ashamed to say but lets be honest all of us know then english line isnt too pure now days :( but that being said there are still not very many ways to find out the language online because like I said its out dated and alot of its from the uk and no one here but the old old people talk like that anymore.
Is this accurate

United States

#1201 Mar 18, 2013
I recently purchased a movie and it was about members of the travelling community and they had a boss named jack who was almost like a king and he received a percent of everyone elses money from the scams they were pulling is this really how you guys opperate? What about the good guys do they also pay the boss? Or is there even a boss/king? Iam just really interested in the culture because my son has recently started seeing a girl from your community and she comes over the house sometimes late at night and I would like to know if there is going to be a king of the travellers knocking on my door of he finds out that one of your girls and my son are seeing eachother! Shes a very nice girl just very quiet so I dont want to intimidate her by asking questions about her culture.
itzwitchy

Durham, NC

#1202 Mar 18, 2013
tell all wrote:
<quoted text> i've never seen any of the cant online except one website and it wasnt very accurate and was pretty outdated. And the romanichal language isnt much of a secret lol im ashamed to say but lets be honest all of us know then english line isnt too pure now days :( but that being said there are still not very many ways to find out the language online because like I said its out dated and alot of its from the uk and no one here but the old old people talk like that anymore.
Speaking purely from a non-IT perspective? Much more the shame for that too. I hate seeing people's cultures and languages slip away...We rob one another of the opportunity to discover how it feels to walk in one another's shoes for a minute from the paths their cultures have led from. Some of my greatest memories come from delights in other people's ways...
itzwitchy

Durham, NC

#1203 Mar 18, 2013
Tim Pat Coogan wrote:
Some of the 'linguistics experts' are somehow trying to pigeon-hole Shelta/Gammon into something called 'Angloromani'. I think they should just give up trying to classify it. It is what it is.
tell all

United States

#1204 Mar 18, 2013
itzwitchy wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of the 'linguistics experts' are somehow trying to pigeon-hole Shelta/Gammon into something called 'Angloromani'. I think they should just give up trying to classify it. It is what it is.
yeah there is no way it should be classified as angloromani because ITs have no romani blood in them traditionally, now there may be a few who have some due to marriage between the english travellers (romanichal/rumney) and themselfs but that doesnt happen all the time.
tell all

United States

#1205 Mar 18, 2013
itzwitchy wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking purely from a non-IT perspective? Much more the shame for that too. I hate seeing people's cultures and languages slip away...We rob one another of the opportunity to discover how it feels to walk in one another's shoes for a minute from the paths their cultures have led from. Some of my greatest memories come from delights in other people's ways...
well im not an IT but I am a traveller so just from being them and having some family members who are ITs you pick up on the cant but not alot of the kids are speaking it like back in the day
Tim Pat Coogan

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#1206 Mar 18, 2013
Is this accurate wrote:
I recently purchased a movie and it was about members of the travelling community and they had a boss named jack who was almost like a king and he received a percent of everyone elses money from the scams they were pulling is this really how you guys opperate? What about the good guys do they also pay the boss? Or is there even a boss/king? Iam just really interested in the culture because my son has recently started seeing a girl from your community and she comes over the house sometimes late at night and I would like to know if there is going to be a king of the travellers knocking on my door of he finds out that one of your girls and my son are seeing eachother! Shes a very nice girl just very quiet so I dont want to intimidate her by asking questions about her culture.
Everyone is boss of himself and his own family..The film you mentioned is Traveller staring the great Bill Paxton.. While entertaining in its way it has nearly nothing to do with actual I.T. life..(Interestingly Paxton is from Ft Worth) Out of curiousity where do you live. Unusual in the extreme for a I.T. girl in particular to be involved with a non-Traveller..
Is this accurate

United States

#1207 Mar 18, 2013
Tim Pat Coogan wrote:
<quoted text>Everyone is boss of himself and his own family..The film you mentioned is Traveller staring the great Bill Paxton.. While entertaining in its way it has nearly nothing to do with actual I.T. life..(Interestingly Paxton is from Ft Worth) Out of curiousity where do you live. Unusual in the extreme for a I.T. girl in particular to be involved with a non-Traveller..
Fort Worth in a neighborhood that many travelers also live in. Example: 2 homes down from me a traveller family owns and many others on my street are owned by travellers

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Benbrook Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Relocating Sat TxRealtor 2
News Severe thunderstorm watch issued for Dallas, Ta... Sat dodo 1
News Giant Bowie knife will stand in Texas town with... Fri A Green 10
News Texas Republican: Backing trans-bathrooms is th... Fri Three Rounds 20
Lacy Boston aka Lacy Shirel OMG May 25 Noobie 2
News Breast-feeding moms plan a nurse-ina at West Si... May 22 CMar 1
News Man arrested in fatal Benbrook shooting (May '10) Mar '16 rip pat n aaron 33
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Benbrook Mortgages