rumneys the best

United States

#1168 Mar 14, 2013
Dawty gears
suzzi

Dublin, Ireland

#1169 Mar 15, 2013
Maybe do a wifeswap show where the traveller community are included....then ppl would have more of an understanding..id love to be a traveller wife.

Since: Mar 13

Dublin, Ireland

#1170 Mar 15, 2013
Tim Pat Coogan wrote:
<quoted text>Afternoon Paul , My guess is that the silence regarding your query will be deafining..The B.B.C. tried to get our cousins in South Carolina to go on camera as well, to no avail.They ended up cobbling together something that was a a obvious sham, containing no actual I.T.'s..I guess it boils down to a single thing..What's in it for us?
Hi Pat,
Thanks for getting back to me.
It's a fair question - what's in it for us?- and, in truth, the answer is a fair and accurate account of what life is like for a US based traveller. Two traditional Irish travellers, Nell and Michael McDonagh, are also involved in the documentary; in fact, we're all travelling over to Fort Worth in ten days time. All we want to do is tell the truth, make a documentary Irish audiences will enjoy, and debunk the myths and stereotypes which label all US travellers as either con-men or scam-artists. With this documentary we can change how your community is perceived, both in Ireland and the US. You may disagree, but personally i think that is extremely worthwhile.
Anyway, thanks again for the reply.
If any contacts spring to mind I'd really appreciate you emailing me at paul_connolly66@hotmail.com. I'll be away from my work email for the next few weeks.
Slan leat mo chara
itzwitchy

Durham, NC

#1171 Mar 15, 2013
Tim Pat Coogan wrote:
<quoted text>I envy your Irish..Have you lived there, or were your Ma & Da from there?
Funny you should ask that because living in Ireland for a while is an option I'm considering right now. Since I have family all over the Republic? My greatest conundrum would be where to go.

I'm fifth generation Irish American. All four of my great, great grandparents came over very young in the great Irish diaspora of the mid-1800s. If you think of a triangle with Boston, Providence and the Cape/Islands being the points? We're one big knot smack inside it intersecting with eleventy-billion other Irish Catholic family knots. To my knowlege? I don't think anyone ever married outside the clan until my generation.

Like my siblings and cousins? We traipse all over Ireland as often as we can. It's only the size of Indiana. I was just there for three weeks this past fall. As far as my Irish is concerned? It's really rudimentary.'Tá brón orm.'simply means 'I'm sorry.' and is easy to remember. You need and Irish translator on your screen to spell Irish with the critical fadas. I watch Ros Na Run (Irish soap opera in Irish with English subtitles) religiously (read: I'm hooked) to try to improve my comprehension skills. Without a translator? I'd never be able to spell any of it. It's a perfectly impossible language to learn. My name has a silent 'D' in Irish. How the hell can you have a silent D in your name? Good thing the only Gaeltacht areas left where they still don't speak any English at all are the Aran Islands. Most of the predominantly Irish speakers are equally facile in English. Thank God!

Ireland considers the Irish everywhere as part of an extended global brood whose children are welcome home anytime they wish to come back.

I wish I could understand the Cant.
Tim Pat Coogan

Hollywood, FL

#1172 Mar 15, 2013
itzwitchy wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny you should ask that because living in Ireland for a while is an option I'm considering right now. Since I have family all over the Republic? My greatest conundrum would be where to go.
I'm fifth generation Irish American. All four of my great, great grandparents came over very young in the great Irish diaspora of the mid-1800s. If you think of a triangle with Boston, Providence and the Cape/Islands being the points? We're one big knot smack inside it intersecting with eleventy-billion other Irish Catholic family knots. To my knowlege? I don't think anyone ever married outside the clan until my generation.
Like my siblings and cousins? We traipse all over Ireland as often as we can. It's only the size of Indiana. I was just there for three weeks this past fall. As far as my Irish is concerned? It's really rudimentary.'Tá brón orm.'simply means 'I'm sorry.' and is easy to remember. You need and Irish translator on your screen to spell Irish with the critical fadas. I watch Ros Na Run (Irish soap opera in Irish with English subtitles) religiously (read: I'm hooked) to try to improve my comprehension skills. Without a translator? I'd never be able to spell any of it. It's a perfectly impossible language to learn. My name has a silent 'D' in Irish. How the hell can you have a silent D in your name? Good thing the only Gaeltacht areas left where they still don't speak any English at all are the Aran Islands. Most of the predominantly Irish speakers are equally facile in English. Thank God!
Ireland considers the Irish everywhere as part of an extended global brood whose children are welcome home anytime they wish to come back.
I wish I could understand the Cant.
I once met a fella from Limerick who's day job was as a Irish language teacher when he was not singing in a trad. Irish folk band..In any event on Guinness # who knows I confirmed his suspicion that I was a I.T...At which point he had me give him a few lines, which he said certainly sounded Irish, but with only a couple of word exceptions he couldn't follow..Which of course is the whole point of can't..lol..Should be said younger I.T.s use less & less. A fact I find very depressing.
Tim Pat Coogan

Miami, FL

#1173 Mar 15, 2013
As a teenager I bought those berlitz books on tape in the Irish language..I'd of had a better shot at Latin I'm sure...lol...Yeah. there have been a few waves of I.T.s to the The States.(Which explains the differant groups)The 1st about the time of the Great Hunger in Eire, 2nd towards the end of the 19th century, last the teens & 20's..Put it this way none of us is eligible for dual citizenship at this point.
itzwitchy

Durham, NC

#1174 Mar 15, 2013
Tim Pat Coogan wrote:
<quoted text>I once met a fella from Limerick who's day job was as a Irish language teacher when he was not singing in a trad. Irish folk band..In any event on Guinness # who knows I confirmed his suspicion that I was a I.T...At which point he had me give him a few lines, which he said certainly sounded Irish, but with only a couple of word exceptions he couldn't follow..Which of course is the whole point of can't..lol..Should be said younger I.T.s use less & less. A fact I find very depressing.
I agree. I miss the 'tight knot' I grew up in too. Losing one's culture is easy to do in America as generations pass...Damn shame that. By the way, these whiners who complain about the hooligan IT kids? They should have seen the entire pack of us from both sides of my family careen through summers on Cape Cod. A mob of 20 of us as teenagers and all related wreaked havoc on one poor town year after year after year. The only way the cops could figure out which one of us belonged to which side of the family was to call the Parish priest who would have to call both my grandfathers to sort out which kid belonged to which family. Didn't help that both grandfathers, my father, two other uncles and several male cousins all have the same first name... We were notorious for mischief in those days and exploited the confusion of 'who belonged to who' to the hilt. In other words? Kids being kids.

Limerick, the city, is almost as depressing as Belfast...'gritty, dark and unhappy' come to mind for both. Rathkeale, the global capital for ITs is in Limerick County not far from Adare. I've crawled all over that place. I've driven through the neighborhoods and waved at anyone who looked. I parked my car to troll the streets of the town too which are very busy. Nobody bothered me; I was busy buying stuff from their retail establishments, why interrupt that?

Irish has to be learned by all English speaking children and English has to be learned by all Gaeltacht kids. That is mandatory for the first 8 years of schooling in Ireland.

Have you been 'home' yet?
itzwitchy

Durham, NC

#1175 Mar 15, 2013
Paul C TV3 Ireland wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Pat,
Thanks for getting back to me.
It's a fair question - what's in it for us?- and, in truth, the answer is a fair and accurate account of what life is like for a US based traveller. Two traditional Irish travellers, Nell and Michael McDonagh, are also involved in the documentary; in fact, we're all travelling over to Fort Worth in ten days time. All we want to do is tell the truth, make a documentary Irish audiences will enjoy, and debunk the myths and stereotypes which label all US travellers as either con-men or scam-artists. With this documentary we can change how your community is perceived, both in Ireland and the US. You may disagree, but personally i think that is extremely worthwhile.
Anyway, thanks again for the reply.
If any contacts spring to mind I'd really appreciate you emailing me at paul_connolly66@hotmail.com. I'll be away from my work email for the next few weeks.
Slan leat mo chara
I shouldn't stick my nose into your business but with all due respect, Paul? I don't get it. ITs in Ireland are the lowest scum in the barrel in general society. Go to any non-IT pub in Ireland and start a conversation about them. The response is often shocking and littered way more than some Americans hate ours and frankly? It makes me really uncomfortable and angry but I hold my tongue.

Why would you try to dispel the bad reputation American Irish Travellers have to Irish audiences who can't stand their own 30,000 ITs? "Fakkin Pikeys!" are generally the first words coming out of their mouths and they are not shy about saying it either. Nods of assent bob along the bar rail...

It sounds to me that such a documentary would be pointless since it would only be 'preaching to the choir' anyway. But?

Just curious.

itzwitchy

Durham, NC

#1176 Mar 15, 2013
oops...somehow, text was dropped in that last post. The mangled paragraph should read like this:

I shouldn't stick my nose into your business but with all due respect, Paul? I don't get it. ITs in Ireland are the lowest scum in the barrel in general society. Go to any non-IT pub in Ireland and start a conversation about them. The response is often shocking and littered with such derogatory names as 'Pikeys, Knackers, Gowls. They hate their 30,000 ITs way more than some Americans hate ours and frankly? It makes me really uncomfortable and angry but I hold my tongue.

Sorry....it was nonsensical as first posted.
Tim Pat Coogan

Hollywood, FL

#1177 Mar 15, 2013
itzwitchy wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. I miss the 'tight knot' I grew up in too. Losing one's culture is easy to do in America as generations pass...Damn shame that. By the way, these whiners who complain about the hooligan IT kids? They should have seen the entire pack of us from both sides of my family careen through summers on Cape Cod. A mob of 20 of us as teenagers and all related wreaked havoc on one poor town year after year after year. The only way the cops could figure out which one of us belonged to which side of the family was to call the Parish priest who would have to call both my grandfathers to sort out which kid belonged to which family. Didn't help that both grandfathers, my father, two other uncles and several male cousins all have the same first name... We were notorious for mischief in those days and exploited the confusion of 'who belonged to who' to the hilt. In other words? Kids being kids.
Limerick, the city, is almost as depressing as Belfast...'gritty, dark and unhappy' come to mind for both. Rathkeale, the global capital for ITs is in Limerick County not far from Adare. I've crawled all over that place. I've driven through the neighborhoods and waved at anyone who looked. I parked my car to troll the streets of the town too which are very busy. Nobody bothered me; I was busy buying stuff from their retail establishments, why interrupt that?
Irish has to be learned by all English speaking children and English has to be learned by all Gaeltacht kids. That is mandatory for the first 8 years of schooling in Ireland.
Have you been 'home' yet?
Now try discerning who's who when half the kids share the same 1st and last names!..lol..Sadly no, which astounds me at this point..I've had a passport forever with full intentions to go a million times..Even had Settled people offer over to stay with their Aunt & Uncle or Cousins..That might'a been interesting when their family figured out who I was!...Anyway it'll be hard now till the kids are a wee bit older..
itzwitchy

Durham, NC

#1178 Mar 15, 2013
Tim Pat Coogan wrote:
<quoted text>Now try discerning who's who when half the kids share the same 1st and last names!..lol..Sadly no, which astounds me at this point..I've had a passport forever with full intentions to go a million times..Even had Settled people offer over to stay with their Aunt & Uncle or Cousins..That might'a been interesting when their family figured out who I was!...Anyway it'll be hard now till the kids are a wee bit older..
Haha! Actually? About half of us kids all shared two common last names. The others? Moms whose maiden names were one of those two surnames or a plethora of 2nd, 3rd, etc. cousin's names. It was all the same mob.

Look, as an aside? My 'radar' is up regarding this paul connolly if you don't mind me sticking my nose in your bizz. I e-mailed him myself with my post from here not knowing if he'd be back to see it.

His reason for the supposed documentary makes absolutely no sense. Seriously, the overt prejudice about ITs is horrible. The way he talked? He made it sound like his 'audience' is shocked by how American ITs are reported to behave over here. Hell, their own ITs in both Ireland and the UK are involved in way deep shit like kidnapping, slavery, international art heists, global hidden gun running, prostitution rings, international Internet crimes and scams....the list goes on and on and on.

In addition? And there might be a logical explanation but any e-mails I've sent to Ireland from the USA? They have '.ei' somewhere in the address. A hotmail account without a foreign country destination mark? I dunno...

I'd check that one's credentials if I were you before doing anything.
Tim Pat Coogan

Hollywood, FL

#1179 Mar 15, 2013
My 2 post to him were as much conversation as I was gonna have with him.
itzwitchy

Durham, NC

#1180 Mar 15, 2013
Tim Pat? He said 'good bye my friend' to you in Irish with no fadas. He is supposedly in Ireland and spells Irish without fadas? Hell no. Their computers come with automatic language shift. They have to; 90% of even street addresses still have to be written with fadas....buildings, businesses, Churches.....

I checked both my gammon and shelta sources...its not that either.

I smell a rat.
itzwitchy

Durham, NC

#1181 Mar 15, 2013
Tim Pat Coogan wrote:
My 2 post to him were as much conversation as I was gonna have with him.
Good.
Tim Pat Coogan

Hollywood, FL

#1182 Mar 15, 2013
itzwitchy wrote:
<quoted text>
Good.
Yeah who knows, I wish him all the luck in the world..He'll need it.
itzwitchy

Durham, NC

#1183 Mar 15, 2013
Tim Pat Coogan wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah who knows, I wish him all the luck in the world..He'll need it.
I think he's a fake, possibly even a Topix forum regular who would like to punk you or the whole community to somehow 'pay you back' for something.

You made it clear......Ain't gonna happen anyway but my sonar alarm was screaming. I think I felt protective.

Later!
ONE

North Augusta, SC

#1184 Mar 17, 2013
If you are all so smart, why boast about a group of people that you know nothing about. I am one, and If you would stay in M.V long enough, maybe you would become one too, or maybe one would become you

Now lets see you roll down that old 25, pop a few loopers around our saint eddie, look at the mag grave heads, and let me know the deal, will ya

cuz if you do see somthing's or some people you can't explain, please just ask them for whatever you want
they will give it to you, right after you give your self to them.

Now if you see em let me know, they are ghost and they walk those filthy streets and they'll walk you too if you let em. But, if you are a strong one even a real one too then, you should say , see this - this body -this mind- this soul- this only belongs to I and only I

Then maybe, you wont find out about their PUSSY CONTROL

So mag mother mary moses please cut it out with the jesus shit

get real you ugly white witch

you damed murphy village with your gay top hat

give me peace or go back to IS REAL

NOT MY BREAD AND WINE
itzwitchy

Durham, NC

#1185 Mar 18, 2013
ONE wrote:
If you are all so smart, why boast about a group of people that you know nothing about. I am one, and If you would stay in M.V long enough, maybe you would become one too, or maybe one would become you
Now lets see you roll down that old 25, pop a few loopers around our saint eddie, look at the mag grave heads, and let me know the deal, will ya
cuz if you do see somthing's or some people you can't explain, please just ask them for whatever you want
they will give it to you, right after you give your self to them.
Now if you see em let me know, they are ghost and they walk those filthy streets and they'll walk you too if you let em. But, if you are a strong one even a real one too then, you should say , see this - this body -this mind- this soul- this only belongs to I and only I
Then maybe, you wont find out about their PUSSY CONTROL
So mag mother mary moses please cut it out with the jesus shit
get real you ugly white witch
you damed murphy village with your gay top hat
give me peace or go back to IS REAL
NOT MY BREAD AND WINE
WTF????

Oh, I did understand the few words you used in Cant, FYI
Tim Pat Coogan

Miami, FL

#1186 Mar 18, 2013
itzwitchy wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF????
Oh, I did understand the few words you used in Cant, FYI
Your smarter than me Witchy, I saw no cant at all in this rambling idiots post..lol..Don't believe he's a I.T. at all, probably lives near there..
My two cents

Ballwin, MO

#1187 Mar 18, 2013
It's some song and they've just substituted some words for their slang. My best guess.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Benbrook Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Topless women weekend Sat Ladonna C 1
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jan 23 Farts 771
looking for richard dorsett girl treasa Jan 23 biker 1
Paschal high School (Jul '14) Jan 19 Wesly Shaw 11
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jan 19 Farts 612
Mom found dead with child recalled as talented ... Jan 18 Tarty Teacher 2
Review: Smoke Plus IV Nov '14 joeseibert 1
Benbrook Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web