New GE locomotive plant
Whitey Ford

Erie, PA

#84 Jun 19, 2013
tx machinist wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know about loco but haven't heard that about the ohv wheels. They are having a problem with people quitting on the wheel side. About 10% of the machinists and maintenance with more to come. A lot of the assemblers are trying to transfer to loco too.
. Why are they quitting ? They are treating the workers differently in the other shop ?

Since: May 13

Dallas, TX

#85 Jun 19, 2013
Whitey Ford wrote:
<quoted text>. Why are they quitting ? They are treating the workers differently in the other shop ?
People are tired of the upper level management in that building. They are indecisive, more worried about looking good on paper than in actual production numbers. I don't think they realized that when it comes to pay and or benefits that there is a lot of competition in the north Texas area. So if the workers don't like it we can just go somewhere else.
Joey Bagadonuts

Erie, PA

#86 Jun 19, 2013
tx machinist wrote:
<quoted text>
People are tired of the upper level management in that building. They are indecisive, more worried about looking good on paper than in actual production numbers. I don't think they realized that when it comes to pay and or benefits that there is a lot of competition in the north Texas area. So if the workers don't like it we can just go somewhere else.
sounds about right , didn't realize there was that much competition down there ? How can the company say that you guys are 20% more efficient if there is the possibility of so much turnover ?

Dallas, TX

#87 Jun 19, 2013
Joey Bagadonuts wrote:
<quoted text>sounds about right , didn't realize there was that much competition down there ? How can the company say that you guys are 20% more efficient if there is the possibility of so much turnover ?
People leaving just started. I'm sure the 20% more efficient comes from the number of people needed to make the same amount of production. And that's mainly because of the shop layout and machines being used.
Mike Good

Fort Worth, TX

#88 Jun 20, 2013
Hi, I'm gay
Whitey Ford

United States

#89 Jun 20, 2013
TXunion wrote:
All you Erie, PA guys need to STFU about TEXAS! The area is a UNION stronghold thanks to American Airlines (TWU), BNSF (UTU, BLET, IAM etc) and GM (UAW) You PA folks need to get your head out and quit bashing your bros. The Alliance Maintenance Base will be shut down with AA soon, and all those people will have to exercise their seniority, and a lot are saying F, AA and going to retire. The base is very PRO union and The transport workers union is very active in the area, more so than any union at GE in Erie. That place will go TWU in no time flat.
how is the union organizing going down there ? Just wondering how well that is working out for ya ?
tx machinist

Dallas, TX

#90 Jun 20, 2013
Whitey Ford wrote:
<quoted text>how is the union organizing going down there ? Just wondering how well that is working out for ya ?
The only union flyers that I've been told about is some small pipe fitter union out of Dallas. Nobody is really saying anything. GE did a good job of hiring people who are against unions.
YeahOK

United States

#91 Jun 20, 2013
Wow, talk about deja vu! I am not surprised to hear what you have to say about management. I guess they all follow the same business model. However, let me say that it is nice to get the info you pass along, whether or not anyone says so. We all are in the same boat, even if we don't realize it.
tx machinist wrote:
<quoted text>
YeahOK

United States

#92 Jun 20, 2013
As far as the rumors about locos and wheels coming back here for repairs, I honestly don't know what to believe. You have people that work in the same building (bld 26 test) and one says yes, I have seen them and another that says the opposite. What I have heard about the wheels is that the castings were cracking because they purchased them from a new vendor. Also heard that your facility have a bunch sitting there because they don't know if they will crack or not. Again, I don't know what true and what is not. What I do know is that if I had a dollar for every rumor I have ever heard in all my time at the Erie plant, the Powerball lottery would be a drop in the bucket compared to my windfall!

Dallas, TX

#93 Jun 20, 2013
YeahOK wrote:
As far as the rumors about locos and wheels coming back here for repairs, I honestly don't know what to believe. You have people that work in the same building (bld 26 test) and one says yes, I have seen them and another that says the opposite. What I have heard about the wheels is that the castings were cracking because they purchased them from a new vendor. Also heard that your facility have a bunch sitting there because they don't know if they will crack or not. Again, I don't know what true and what is not. What I do know is that if I had a dollar for every rumor I have ever heard in all my time at the Erie plant, the Powerball lottery would be a drop in the bucket compared to my windfall!
Yeah we got a lot of castings we are having to replace. There were over a hundred on completed wheels that we are having to replace or have x-rayed. It actually helped because we were slow because of the negotiations going on and the mining market.
Danna Arnn

Fort Worth, TX

#94 Jun 20, 2013
Can us Lesbians work there?
machineguy

Killeen, TX

#95 Jun 21, 2013
GE is forcing OT and no union makes it hard for family time. The Erie guys churn these things out left and right, but TX is getting people with no vested interest in the job. The skilled guys that worked at American were turned down because they wanted to keep the union out, even though they have great machinist experience. GE id ok here but it could be a lot better. They try to run it like a Japanese auto manufacturer, but instead it runs more like a Tijuana Dodge plant

Haslet, TX

#96 Jun 21, 2013
machineguy wrote:
GE is forcing OT and no union makes it hard for family time. The Erie guys churn these things out left and right, but TX is getting people with no vested interest in the job. The skilled guys that worked at American were turned down because they wanted to keep the union out, even though they have great machinist experience. GE id ok here but it could be a lot better. They try to run it like a Japanese auto manufacturer, but instead it runs more like a Tijuana Dodge plant
I wouldn't say the American guys were the most experienced. GE did hire one that had over 20 years experience. Lets just say 20 years experience at American is like 5 years experience at most of the local job shops around here. It's almost impossible to be a lean manufacturing plant when the parts take a shift or more to produce and assembly need 3-4 a day. Rerun one tool and you're already screwed.
machineguy

Killeen, TX

#97 Jun 22, 2013
tx machinist wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't say the American guys were the most experienced. GE did hire one that had over 20 years experience. Lets just say 20 years experience at American is like 5 years experience at most of the local job shops around here. It's almost impossible to be a lean manufacturing plant when the parts take a shift or more to produce and assembly need 3-4 a day. Rerun one tool and you're already screwed.
You are full of it. These were degreed engineers, not just mechanics, you have drank way too much GE kool aid. What about the BNSF guys that had loco experience? The shop runs slow while Erie chrns them out. The TX plant will give way to Mexico when Erie closes, just at a cheaper rate.
Joey Bagadonuts

Erie, PA

#98 Jun 23, 2013
What do any of you that work at the GE plant think about the folks in Erie turning down the offer from the company ?

Irving, TX

#99 Jun 23, 2013
Joey Bagadonuts wrote:
What do any of you that work at the GE plant think about the folks in Erie turning down the offer from the company ?
I think everyone knew how that was going to turn out. I think for the most part we feel good about it. No offense, that means potential for more work down here. It sucks that there will be layoffs but that's what big corporations do.

Irving, TX

#100 Jun 23, 2013
machineguy wrote:
<quoted text>You are full of it. These were degreed engineers, not just mechanics, you have drank way too much GE kool aid. What about the BNSF guys that had loco experience? The shop runs slow while Erie chrns them out. The TX plant will give way to Mexico when Erie closes, just at a cheaper rate.
If you noticed I said the one machinist that came from American. He was knowledgable but didn't have as much experience as you would expect from someone with that amount if time as a machinist. He doesn't even work at GE anymore anyways.
Mr Dumass

United States

#101 Jun 24, 2013
tx machinist wrote:
<quoted text>
I think everyone knew how that was going to turn out. I think for the most part we feel good about it. No offense, that means potential for more work down here. It sucks that there will be layoffs but that's what big corporations do.
I just hope all of the employees down there, realize what a bunch of pricks that they work for ... Fort Worth is just a little closer to Mexico. You'll be showing them how to do your jobs soon enough ...
Martin

United States

#102 Jul 2, 2013
Big Texas wrote:
They have started hiring I have my first interview Monday June 25th.
so did you ever get hired what did day 2 consist of help please!!
Dick Weed

United States

#103 Jul 3, 2013
Martin wrote:
<quoted text> so did you ever get hired what did day 2 consist of help please!!
Get a set of legos and practice building cho chos !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Benbrook Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 14 hr PhantasticPharts 1,059
Poll what happened to all the original labare dancer... (Jun '10) Sun Dee 282
News Dallas-County 15 mins ago 6:27 p.m.At least 2 a... Jan 21 25or6to4 1
News Anti-Trump protesters march in Fort Worth Jan 19 Donny Trump 4
News In Blue Mound, turning the valves on a new city... (Oct '15) Jan 14 Mosaic pollutes 24
News In a small Texas town, a new private detention ... Jan 14 TerriB1 1
Pig martin 10 day vacay Jan 13 Hold My Beer 2

Benbrook Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Benbrook Mortgages