Girl, 9, Dies After Horse Dragging, P...

Girl, 9, Dies After Horse Dragging, Police Say

There are 34 comments on the NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth story from May 25, 2008, titled Girl, 9, Dies After Horse Dragging, Police Say. In it, NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth reports that:

Police said a 9-year-old Fort Worth girl died after she was dragged by a horse on Saturday night.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mike Aldridge MBarK Farms

Dallas, TX

#2 May 25, 2008
People who would never think of putting their child behind the wheel of a car without proper training will allow a child to get on a thousand pound animal without proper instruction or knowledge of the basic training a horse needs in order to be safe for children. Most professional barns have rules in place for this very reason. Requirements like helmets, boots, safety training, properly fitting and well-maintained equipment are important. Having limitations on where young children or inexperienced riders can ride allow them to enjoy themselves in safe surroundings. Horses are not toys. People should understand that they are living breathing animals that will react in prescribed ways when faced with stressful situations. Riders that are properly trained have a chance to handle these situations, but sometimes are still injured. Riders with limited or improper training have no chance at all.
Our hearts and prayers go out to the family of this young rider. Itís very sad that a young life was cut short over something that should have never happened. However, donít lay all of the blame on the horse. Look for the real reasons why this happened.

Since: May 08

Allen, TX

#3 May 25, 2008
My heart goes out to this family. I was just wondering why would anyone be horseback riding at 9PM? That is so sad. I'm not sure all could see during this time of night. I'm sure the child may not have been experienced.
Decatur horse ranch

Fort Worth, TX

#5 May 25, 2008
Helmet, helmet, helmet...
I can't say it enough.
Anna

Hurst, TX

#10 May 26, 2008
The pain I feel for you and your family is deep. No words will ever take away or lessen the pain of your loss. I shared with my 10 year old son your loss and it brought back a very sad time for him. His horse, Jam, died 2 years ago, and to help him understand and try to ease his pain and grief, I told him that Jam got his angel wings and will forever be grazing in the greenest of pastures. He lead us in prayer that Juliette would find Jam and ride him.
Blair

United States

#12 May 26, 2008
i am going to keep that family in my prayers!!!!!
happy medium

Carrollton, TX

#13 May 26, 2008
I love horses and ride all the time. You have to be experienced and respect the fact that they can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. What a tragedy.
Anna

Hurst, TX

#14 May 27, 2008
As I pray for the Brown Family, I shall pray for you too. Pray that you find kindness and compassion not meanness and criticizm.

“the baby who would be king!!!!”

Since: Jan 07

fort worth

#15 May 27, 2008
Blair wrote:
i am going to keep that family in my prayers!!!!!
i'm sure the family would much more appreciate real assistance
STARGAZER

Garland, TX

#16 May 27, 2008
Another hokey child's death....bizarre. The stable didn;t know that they had taken the horses out? What was the father thinking?
Sometihng doesn't sound right about all this......investigate closely Benbrook PD....this really reeks....
Natalee

Spring, TX

#17 May 27, 2008
Mike Aldridge MBarK Farms wrote:
People who would never think of putting their child behind the wheel of a car without proper training will allow a child to get on a thousand pound animal without proper instruction or knowledge of the basic training a horse needs in order to be safe for children. Most professional barns have rules in place for this very reason. Requirements like helmets, boots, safety training, properly fitting and well-maintained equipment are important. Having limitations on where young children or inexperienced riders can ride allow them to enjoy themselves in safe surroundings. Horses are not toys. People should understand that they are living breathing animals that will react in prescribed ways when faced with stressful situations. Riders that are properly trained have a chance to handle these situations, but sometimes are still injured. Riders with limited or improper training have no chance at all.
Our hearts and prayers go out to the family of this young rider. Itís very sad that a young life was cut short over something that should have never happened. However, donít lay all of the blame on the horse. Look for the real reasons why this happened.
Actually, she has been around horses all her life. No matter how well trained you are, it is near impossible to release your foot stuck in a stirrup while hanging upside down. That is what happened to her. She was in my friend's son's class at school. This is what you would call a freak accident in which no one is to blame, including the animal NOR the parents.
Vicki Denton TX

United States

#18 May 28, 2008
Adults can make choices to not wear helmets but, it should be a choice for children. It could have made a difference. Also proper footwear is important.
My heart and prayers goes out to the family.
marie

Rockwall, TX

#19 May 28, 2008
Natalee wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, she has been around horses all her life. No matter how well trained you are, it is near impossible to release your foot stuck in a stirrup while hanging upside down. That is what happened to her. She was in my friend's son's class at school. This is what you would call a freak accident in which no one is to blame, including the animal NOR the parents.
Well sadly that statement of yours does prove she was inexperienced. An experienced rider knows never to put a foot so deeply into the stirrup in case of an accident like this. One's foot has to be barely in it all the time so a unique situation has had it already out of the thing by the time the rider has fallen upside down. An experienced rider would have been on the ground......... An experienced rider wouldn't be opening a soda on a fidgety horse either. So as not to freak it out.

I agree with you on the point that it was a freak accident, but not on the fact she was experienced.

1. She was too young to be experienced that well.
2. Around horses a lots doesn't equate to good training.
questions

AOL

#20 May 28, 2008
Who let them take the horses out that late at night & why would anyone think it was safe to ride a horse that late at night or on a street. Was anyone else with them? Why wasn't she wearing a helment. Did her father regularly take them for rides outside the confines of the riding trails or stable arena? It is a sad & tragic thing that happened, but it sounds to me like someone was careless & made a bad decision that resulted in the death of a innocent child. Too many questions, not enough explanations.
Mike Aldridge MBarK Farms

Dallas, TX

#21 May 28, 2008
Natalee wrote:
<quoted text>
My daughter teaches several people from Benbrook who know this girl as well. Our daughter has been riding since she was two, but you wouldn't catch her without a helmet and boots on until she was 14 years old and had over 3,000 hours of riding experience. Our point had nothing to do with this girl and her personal situation, when we wrote this editorial we had just received a few phone calls about the situation and it had barely even reached the news. We wanted to have a comment about proper safety when it comes to horses. We are professional instructors/trainers and teach hundreds of children per year to ride horses. This could happen to anyone no matter how much experience they have.(Look at Jockeys) Horses can be unpredictable. Boots, Helmets, properly fitting equipment may really help minimize the severity of injury when accidents do happen.
Natalee

Dallas, TX

#22 May 29, 2008
Maybe times have changed for some. I have been riding since I was 2 as well. Never in my life have I wore a helmet. I can often be seen riding with no saddle and barefoot. Even rode the cows that way when I was little. Guess everyone has their own opinions. I still stand by "no one is to blame".
Mike Aldridge MBarK Farms wrote:
<quoted text>
My daughter teaches several people from Benbrook who know this girl as well. Our daughter has been riding since she was two, but you wouldn't catch her without a helmet and boots on until she was 14 years old and had over 3,000 hours of riding experience. Our point had nothing to do with this girl and her personal situation, when we wrote this editorial we had just received a few phone calls about the situation and it had barely even reached the news. We wanted to have a comment about proper safety when it comes to horses. We are professional instructors/trainers and teach hundreds of children per year to ride horses. This could happen to anyone no matter how much experience they have.(Look at Jockeys) Horses can be unpredictable. Boots, Helmets, properly fitting equipment may really help minimize the severity of injury when accidents do happen.
Lisa

Denver, CO

#23 May 29, 2008
I would really like to know if anyone actually knows if this girl was or was not wearing a helmet.

I have a 10 year old daughter who rides 3-4 times a week (always in a helmet) and I would just like to know.
I am heartbroken for this family and this unbearable loss.
kelly

Dallas, TX

#24 May 29, 2008
this is just horrible

“the baby who would be king!!!!”

Since: Jan 07

fort worth

#26 May 29, 2008
correction: replace the word "day" with the "die"

thank you
Kad

Richardson, TX

#27 May 29, 2008
Your point being?
We all know that thousands of children die every day, it does not make this child's death any less tragic or sad.
scuter pie wrote:
thousands of children day each and every day of hunger, thirst, abuse, and neglect
Stacie

Dallas, TX

#28 May 29, 2008
i think this is a very sad trajedy ... i will pray for the family. i am very sorry that happened.it must have been very sad to watch.juliette i will pray and dream of u...rip

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Benbrook Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Donald Trump pauses for a water break 2 hr Ronald 102
gang stalking in dfw (Feb '16) 23 hr stayc1974 40
jews or a thorn in the worlds side (Oct '10) Sat Falcon2891 7
Change the name of the town Sat Mexican 12
News Tarrant-County 52 mins ago 3:29 p.m.Granbury wo... (Nov '16) Nov 15 Ron Jeremy 2
Poll what happened to all the original labare dancer... (Jun '10) Nov 15 Ron Jeremy 319
Sexual Harrasment At Paschal High School In The... Nov 12 Annette Klemow 4

Benbrook Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Benbrook Mortgages