Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns ...

Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns of Death and Serious Healt...

There are 8247 comments on the PRWeb story from Feb 4, 2007, titled Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns of Death and Serious Healt.... In it, PRWeb reports that:

Patients should review the latest recall information to see if they have been implanted with the recalled device and seek medical attention if symptoms such as unexplained or persistent abdominal pain, fever, ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at PRWeb.

All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#7931 Jul 5, 2013
Test wrote:
There is absolutely no way to reach ramshaw after you have surgery with him. All you get is his assistant who continuously blows you off by cming up with excuse after excuse about why you cant see him again, that is, if you can even reach her. And if you try too many times you get a veiled threat from her about "perhaps you need to find a new doctor who can address your needs if your not happy with my answers". It is disgusting and i would recommend against using him.
The problem with Dr. Ramshaw and others like him is that he walks both sides of the fence. While he is one of the supposed "Top" surgeons for mesh removal techniques, he is still in the pocket of Mesh Manufacturers. Ramshawed2000 can be my first testimony when it comes to his track record. He doesn't want to be entangled in our "little" problems with our mesh because he is VERY aware of what the possible/likely outcomes are. He is more than happy to talk to us, as Mesh Victims, and tout his expertice in removal and repair. Then he will jet off to some city to be the guest of a Manufacturer at some conference and buddy up to the FDA. His research and findings are for the use of the Manufacturers exclusively. That alone should tell you that any sympathy for a Mesh Victim ends after he has been paid. Dr. Peterson, in Las Vegas, on the other hand has a good track record for removals and satisfaction of results. NO removal will be routine but Dr Peterson seems to be "doing the right thing" when it comes to his patients. I say this because of the lack of negative responses from patients after removal. Victims in pain that go to him no longer contact us with problems. That in itself, although we would love to have first hand knowledge, is significant because of the number of complaints disappears after their visit to Las Vegas. I will say that many claims of success by Ramshaw are not easily confirmed as are Petersons. When a Mesh Victim has the Mesh removed and is now , somewhat, back to normal they choose to leave our Forum and rarely give updates as to their condition. They want to get as far away from their suffering as possible. I for one do not blame them.......Best Wishes
Test

United States

#7932 Jul 5, 2013
Another test
Test

United States

#7933 Jul 5, 2013
Sorry about the test posts. I am masking my location because im afraid of Ramshaw and being completely dumped.

I went to Ramshaw over Petersen because of insurance, and now that im haing problems i dont know if Petersen will see me, plus im not sure if there is mesh left in me or not. It wasnt so easy to get in touch with Petersen either, so i dont even know if i will get past the screener ladies there.

My problems arent awful because i can sleep at night, but i cant drive at all.
Susan

Loxahatchee, FL

#7934 Jul 8, 2013
Liz johnston wrote:
I had Marlex mesh in 1998 for incisional hernia and also in 1999. Did not hold. Had numerous fistulas that to be packed every day for weeks. Had to wear abdominal binders every day. In 2006 had surgery for hernia repair and colon re-section. I asked Dr. Why he not put more mesh in for hernia repair. He said too much danger of infection. Still had numerous fistulas and still had to wear binders. Had surgery in 2010 for fistula and doctor said he would have to go back later and try to find all the pieces of mesh and remove them. Had major surgery 6 weeks later with a 16 inch scar. Dr said he removed all mesh he could find. I have had much pain and suffering over the last 14 years. Can anyone help me find an attorney who handles Marlex mesh cases? PLEASE!!!!!!!!
Did you find anyone that could help? I was wondering because I am in the same boat. I had originally started this in 02/2004 and just had another surgery in May 2013 still removing marlex mesh which is causing constant infection in me. I have had over 8 surgeries repeating the same thing over and over. I am tired....wish someone was out there that could help. If there is please contact me at [email protected]
Pete Delmer

Birmingham, AL

#7935 Jul 8, 2013
crash
Ramshawed2000

United States

#7936 Jul 8, 2013
All Meshed Up wrote:
<quoted text> The problem with Dr. Ramshaw and others like him is that he walks both sides of the fence. While he is one of the supposed "Top" surgeons for mesh removal techniques, he is still in the pocket of Mesh Manufacturers. Ramshawed2000 can be my first testimony when it comes to his track record. He doesn't want to be entangled in our "little" problems with our mesh because he is VERY aware of what the possible/likely outcomes are. He is more than happy to talk to us, as Mesh Victims, and tout his expertice in removal and repair. Then he will jet off to some city to be the guest of a Manufacturer at some conference and buddy up to the FDA. His research and findings are for the use of the Manufacturers exclusively. That alone should tell you that any sympathy for a Mesh Victim ends after he has been paid. Dr. Peterson, in Las Vegas, on the other hand has a good track record for removals and satisfaction of results. NO removal will be routine but Dr Peterson seems to be "doing the right thing" when it comes to his patients. I say this because of the lack of negative responses from patients after removal. Victims in pain that go to him no longer contact us with problems. That in itself, although we would love to have first hand knowledge, is significant because of the number of complaints disappears after their visit to Las Vegas. I will say that many claims of success by Ramshaw are not easily confirmed as are Petersons. When a Mesh Victim has the Mesh removed and is now , somewhat, back to normal they choose to leave our Forum and rarely give updates as to their condition. They want to get as far away from their suffering as possible. I for one do not blame them.......Best Wishes
You are so right when you speak abt Ramshaw. I'm glad that you remembered me and my issues along whut who's at fault here. Bruce Ramshaw is Not a doctor, he's a butcher!! You should get your records and follow up with us.
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#7937 Jul 8, 2013
Ramshawed2000 wrote:
<quoted text> You are so right when you speak abt Ramshaw. I'm glad that you remembered me and my issues along whut who's at fault here. Bruce Ramshaw is Not a doctor, he's a butcher!! You should get your records and follow up with us.
It was easy to remember your posts and experiences unforunately. I hope that at some point that you will be able to get the help you need. At that point your experience with, and the angst you rightly carry for the man will be gone. I hope that time is sooner than later......Best Wishes......

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#7938 Jul 8, 2013
Hello All-

Please excuse the questions for I am new to here.

Does anyone know of any lawsuits filed on inguinal hernia surgery complications due to mesh?

Do you have a link to the FDA product recalls?
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#7939 Jul 9, 2013
tkmd wrote:
Hello All-
Please excuse the questions for I am new to here.
Does anyone know of any lawsuits filed on inguinal hernia surgery complications due to mesh?
Do you have a link to the FDA product recalls?
There is never a reason to apologize for questions on this Forum, especially from a "Newbie". There are currently no active lawsuits concerning HERNIA mesh. That train pulled out of the station a couple of years ago and it was known as a Multi District Litigation (MDL). It was concerning the Bard/Kugel mesh patch ( Large Ovals with Ring ) and was a very limited lawsuit put together by Motley Rice law group in Rhode Island. It was a joke, a scam and no victim really "made out" with their pittance that Motley Rice ( The Motley Crew ) called a "Settlement". You may be able to find a Lawyer (s) that a "Trolling" for victims to try and get a suit going again but most firms now are focusing on the new "gold mine", Trans Vaginal Mesh victims. If you Google, FDA Surgical Mesh recalls you will be sent to their website. The problem being is that the only recall for mesh is the Kugel patch! There are "Warnings" out the wazoo about the TVT/Vaginal/Gyno meshs but a 40%+ failure rate is not quite good enough for the FDA to consider a recall. And there lies the major problem that all Mesh Victims are facing now. The FDA is so far involved with the Manufacturers that they are protecting them. If the FDA recalls Mesh, it CANNOT differentiate between one product and the next because ALL mesh products are made from the same Petroleum based chemicals. And every Mesh product does the same thing in the human body once it is implanted. Mesh contracts, twists, adheres, migrates and breaks apart over time. Some Implantee's do not have the same experiences as others do and these victims are called success stories by the FDA and the Manufacturers while they ignore the rest of us. The Kugel Mesh recall that everyone points at and says that there IS a recall had NOTHING to do with the mesh itself. The recall was for the Plastic Retaining Ring which can break and start puncturing and slicing anything around it. It drives me crazy that victims keep asking about a recall that DOES NOT EXIST when it comes to mesh.I am not blameing you or any other victim because there are advertisments claiming that there is/was a recall of "Mesh". Thats what I call "Trolling for Victims". What product do you have? Please gather all your Medical Records and file a report to the FDA MAUDE data base useing your OP report. Please make a detailed and complete report to the FDA. You will be contacted by the Manufacturer at some point as that is the law. You will have to decide how much info you want to give the manufacturer but please give the FDA all you can. I would also suggest that you go back through the pages of this Forum to answer some of your questions and familiarize yourself with many of the complaints and obstacles you will face as a Mesh Victim. There are many links also in the Posts that are very helpful and informative to a "Newbie" like you. Get back to us and let us know how you are doing and what mesh you have. Best Wishes.......
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#7940 Jul 9, 2013
Transvaginal Mesh Trial Date Announced – August 19, 2013
Judge Charles Goodwin, overseeing the 5 vaginal mesh MDLS in Charleston West Virginia, announced yesterday that jury trials for women seeking damages from CR Bard will be tried in order this summer. Derek Potts, Co Lead of the Bard MDL, along with well-known criminal attorney Allison Van Laningham from North Carolina, will begin a jury trial representing a Wisconsin woman implanted with a CR Bard pelvic organ prolapse mesh in Charleston, West Virginia on August 19, 2013. Ms. Van Laninigham is most recently known for her successful defense at the criminal trial of John Edwards, former candidate for President of the United States.
******** I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Let us see whether this case will actually go after the Mesh product itself instead of the Doctor that doesn't tell the patient there may be side effects with a Mesh implant. Blame the messenger and not the bullet seems to be the norm......
Chuck

Weaver, AL

#7941 Jul 10, 2013
Morning all,?. Is their been a recall on Proceed mesh, within the last 3 years.
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#7942 Jul 10, 2013
The Proceed Surgical Mesh was hit with an FDA recall on December 21st, 2005 after a troublesome pattern surfaced with regards to a the soft mesh layer of the patch delaminating from the polypropylene layer, leaving it exposed. It was determined that this exposure to the polypropylene could lead to an increased risk of adhesions and bowl fistulization. Symptoms associated with these injuries may include chronic abdominal pain, prolonged fever, or tenderness at the implant site.

The FDA suggested that hospitals immediately suspend use of all affected Proceed Surgical Meshes. In cooperation with the FDA recall, Ethicon, Inc. contacted its patients on January 4, 2006 warning them of the possible defect and alerting them to the hernia patch recall. Patients implanted with an affected hernia device were advised to seek medical attention immediately to determine the best course of action.

The Proceed Surgical Mesh is a medical product that was designed and manufactured by Ethicon, Inc., a division of Johnson & Johnson Gateway, LLC. It is constructed from a layer of soft polypropylene and an oxidized regenerated cellulose and its placement aids in the prevention of new hernias at various potential sites.

The construction of the Proceed mesh was specifically designed to minimize tissue attachment and provide flexible scar tissue. The Proceed Surgical Mesh serves as a reparative device for existing hernias while also serving as a preventative device, minimizing the potential for new hernia formation.

Well, its not in the last 3 years and I am now corrected in my understanding that there was no recalls for the mesh itself! Hope this helps Chuck. Best Wishes.......

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#7943 Jul 10, 2013
All Meshed Up wrote:
<quoted text> There is never a reason to apologize for questions on this Forum, especially from a "Newbie". There are currently no active lawsuits concerning HERNIA mesh. That train pulled out of the station a couple of years ago and it was known as a Multi District Litigation (MDL). It was concerning the Bard/Kugel mesh patch ( Large Ovals with Ring ) and was a very limited lawsuit put together by Motley Rice law group in Rhode Island. It was a joke, a scam and no victim really "made out" with their pittance that Motley Rice ( The Motley Crew ) called a "Settlement". You may be able to find a Lawyer (s) that a "Trolling" for victims to try and get a suit going again but most firms now are focusing on the new "gold mine", Trans Vaginal Mesh victims. If you Google, FDA Surgical Mesh recalls you will be sent to their website. The problem being is that the only recall for mesh is the Kugel patch! There are "Warnings" out the wazoo about the TVT/Vaginal/Gyno meshs but a 40%+ failure rate is not quite good enough for the FDA to consider a recall. And there lies the major problem that all Mesh Victims are facing now. The FDA is so far involved with the Manufacturers that they are protecting them. If the FDA recalls Mesh, it CANNOT differentiate between one product and the next because ALL mesh products are made from the same Petroleum based chemicals. And every Mesh product does the same thing in the human body once it is implanted. Mesh contracts, twists, adheres, migrates and breaks apart over time. Some Implantee's do not have the same experiences as others do and these victims are called success stories by the FDA and the Manufacturers while they ignore the rest of us. The Kugel Mesh recall that everyone points at and says that there IS a recall had NOTHING to do with the mesh itself. The recall was for the Plastic Retaining Ring which can break and start puncturing and slicing anything around it. It drives me crazy that victims keep asking about a recall that DOES NOT EXIST when it comes to mesh.I am not blameing you or any other victim because there are advertisments claiming that there is/was a recall of "Mesh". Thats what I call "Trolling for Victims". What product do you have? Please gather all your Medical Records and file a report to the FDA MAUDE data base useing your OP report. Please make a detailed and complete report to the FDA. You will be contacted by the Manufacturer at some point as that is the law. You will have to decide how much info you want to give the manufacturer but please give the FDA all you can. I would also suggest that you go back through the pages of this Forum to answer some of your questions and familiarize yourself with many of the complaints and obstacles you will face as a Mesh Victim. There are many links also in the Posts that are very helpful and informative to a "Newbie" like you. Get back to us and let us know how you are doing and what mesh you have. Best Wishes.......
Thanks for the reply and appreciate your help. What about towards any surgeons like this one below on the post op lack of treatment?

IN THE COURT OF APPEAL OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA

SECOND APPELLATE DISTRICT

DIVISION SIX

JAMES JONES,

Plaintiff and Appellant,

v.

MICHAEL R. DRUCKER,

Defendant and Respondent.
2d Civil No. B238437
(Super. Ct. No. 56-2008-00328693)
(Ventura County)
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#7944 Jul 10, 2013
Regarding a Malpractice Lawsuit against any Doctor will have to involve the money for the Attorney. If you have a "Very" good case you may be able to have a lawyer take 30-40% of the proceeds IF you win. And if you do not win you may be liable for the cost of the Attorney, his Intern/investigator time and any "Expert" witnesses necessary for the trial.( Major Buck-a-roonies!) A Doctor such as Ramshaw will have a Top Notch Lawyer representing him. And finally,( yeah, I know, call me Mr Happy!)getting a Malpractice suit is very difficult to put together and has to be such a situation as to be BLATANT. Just because he does not want to treat you does not dictate a Malpractice suit. If you have verifiable, documented and on going medical problems that can be "Directly" associated with Ramshaw, then you may have a suit and I say, go for it. If there is anything else we can help you with, please do not hesitate to ask......Best Wishes
Terlin

Ann Arbor, MI

#7945 Jul 11, 2013
All Meshed Up wrote:
As a side note, Terlin. There have been at least 4 posts now with people trying to help you with the problems you keep writing about. An acknowledgement, response or at least a Thank You would be approriate at some point. I hope you are feeling better......
Thank you I'm about incapacitated nothing helps me presure in head bloating backed up colon hospital won't help with screw up not much longer to live but thanks
Tabitha

United States

#7946 Jul 12, 2013
All Meshed Up wrote:
Regarding a Malpractice Lawsuit against any Doctor will have to involve the money for the Attorney. If you have a "Very" good case you may be able to have a lawyer take 30-40% of the proceeds IF you win. And if you do not win you may be liable for the cost of the Attorney, his Intern/investigator time and any "Expert" witnesses necessary for the trial.( Major Buck-a-roonies!) A Doctor such as Ramshaw will have a Top Notch Lawyer representing him. And finally,( yeah, I know, call me Mr Happy!)getting a Malpractice suit is very difficult to put together and has to be such a situation as to be BLATANT. Just because he does not want to treat you does not dictate a Malpractice suit. If you have verifiable, documented and on going medical problems that can be "Directly" associated with Ramshaw, then you may have a suit and I say, go for it. If there is anything else we can help you with, please do not hesitate to ask......Best Wishes
Hi AMU,wanted to know if there is a way to find out if your attorney actually added your name to the MDL or just collected a large sum from the manufacturer and divided it as they saw fit? I am asking because after refusing the offer,my attorney informed me that they would send this to the courts and have them dismiss my case,but they are hesitating to send this to the courts. They are constantly lying to me about this issue which makes me wonder what they are doing.. Can u please let me know if u or any one may have info. Thank you.
Chuck

Birmingham, AL

#7947 Jul 14, 2013
All Meshed Up wrote:
Money talks " BullSHIT walks"
Lin

Birmingham, AL

#7948 Jul 14, 2013
Morning ALL :) or ;{ Got question about not getting backing of SCREWED UP Hernia Surgery rather with or without mesh, or the type of surgery used. Lets deal with MESH SURGERY with all types of surgery. Rather open Lap what ever else . Ok Obama BuLLSHIT about Federal cutbacks, ok once a person has any type of hernia surgery they become a job risk to begin with. Not to be choosing one hernia type over others at this point, but abdominal hernias are the higher risk that employers turn down, with a very high% of not getting hired. With the more surgeries one has the more the risk. Ok getting back to my rave on Obama Federal Gov cut backs, Ok cutbacks are getting hit hard for one to get on Disability. Always you get turned away on first try, unless one is smart enough to hire attorney to begin with. Then they win case for you, they get their high% of whats due to you. If you are lucky don't die, or living on the streets Homeless, while waiting. Been their. Yet Obama wants those that get SSDisability to take bigger cuts to their payments. Yet he is brain trust have blinders on when coming to the point as to asking questions investagating as to why are their so many repeated hernia surgeries? Example myself I now have battle scar road map of the abdominal from 3 surgeries. I also know their are many more out their with more. My point is when it comes down to lawsuits, why is the fed Gov or its other medical branches like FDA, CDC, SSD, Medicare, Medicaid taking a stand for us?? For repeated surgeries do take their toal on us. causing multi other health issues.
Barb

Odessa, TX

#7949 Jul 14, 2013
Tabitha wrote:
<quoted text> Hi AMU,wanted to know if there is a way to find out if your attorney actually added your name to the MDL or just collected a large sum from the manufacturer and divided it as they saw fit? I am asking because after refusing the offer,my attorney informed me that they would send this to the courts and have them dismiss my case,but they are hesitating to send this to the courts. They are constantly lying to me about this issue which makes me wonder what they are doing.. Can u please let me know if u or any one may have info. Thank you.
Tabitha, if you want to privately email me your full name I will run a check to see if I can get you the status on your case! I am an independent public consultant therefore I do have access to check status but whatever information I give you please don't mistake it for legal advice! I am a consumer advocate as well and when law firms purposly avoid consumers just rubs me the wrong way!!

Sincerely,

Barb Martin
[email protected] om
Lin

Birmingham, AL

#7950 Jul 14, 2013
need make a correction. Statement miss worded, last statement. It should read My point is when it comes down to lawsuites,why is the Fed Gov or it's medical branches of the FDA, CDC, SSDisabilities Medicare, Medicaid agentes not standing with us? For aren't each one of these agency taken oath of the welfare, welcare for each one of us? But in this case aren't each branch costing us and Fed Gov for not doing more for us. With not reporting strong enough that their been lifes being lost or major injury from deffected meds or devices. Leading to fraud, payoffs, etc.. which in end we pay for with our lifes!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Benbrook Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
gang stalking in dfw (Feb '16) 16 hr Browneyes94 22
Looking for her Dec 4 benalongtime 1
Looking for Green Decendants Dec 2 Debbie 1
Paschal High School 80's LGBT Reunion Dec 2 Dana Arnn 6
missing people in fort worth area Nov 30 irma Jaramillo 1
News Texas Democrats lament first presidential elect... Nov 28 Graybeard Geezer ... 22
News Application process takes new route (Nov '06) Nov 28 Mary Mindieta 5

Benbrook Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Benbrook Mortgages