Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns ...

Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns of Death and Serious Healt...

There are 8233 comments on the PRWeb story from Feb 4, 2007, titled Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns of Death and Serious Healt.... In it, PRWeb reports that:

Patients should review the latest recall information to see if they have been implanted with the recalled device and seek medical attention if symptoms such as unexplained or persistent abdominal pain, fever, ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at PRWeb.

Terlin

Ann Arbor, MI

#7854 Jun 6, 2013
Had my mesh removed by ramshaw and did not help with my bowel and bladder problems very difficult to defacate feels like bowels are over my pelvic bone no abdominal muscle left and now severe groin pain and numbness pain full to sit or lay.
Blair

Montague, Canada

#7855 Jun 7, 2013
Jay Ranger wrote:
I am in the early stages of making decisions about the inguinal hernia that I was just diagnosed with a few weeks ago. I am so sorry to hear the stories about what many of you and your loved ones are having to endure. They have certainly made me decide not to use mesh when I get the procedure done. Maybe its not much but hopefully you'll know that this site is helping to prevent some mesh-related problems in the future.
I'm thus now looking for a surgeon that will do the procedure without mesh. Does anyone know about any doctors or procedures that could be recommended? I've heard about Dr. Peterson in Las Vegas but it sounds like he specializes more in removal than in first time no-mesh hernias. I've also heard about Dr. Ramshaw in Daytona but it sounds like there are some issues with him not to mention the fact that no-mesh may not be his focus. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. My thoughts are with all of you.
Speaking from experience please do not use mesh, if you have the resources this is your best option. Lots of Americans are treated here every year. You are very smart to research and find the best option. All meshed Up i am back, there was over ten thousand in my race, in my age group i was #49 and ran the 5k in just under 35 minutes and was not one bit sore. I just wanted to prove to myself that after ten years of sickness i would not let my two cancers and mesh nightmare defeet me. I was not in the race to win i took in everything around me the scenery was beautiful and i was just happy to be a part of the experience.

http://www.shouldice.com/
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#7856 Jun 7, 2013
Blair wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking from experience please do not use mesh, if you have the resources this is your best option. Lots of Americans are treated here every year. You are very smart to research and find the best option. All meshed Up i am back, there was over ten thousand in my race, in my age group i was #49 and ran the 5k in just under 35 minutes and was not one bit sore. I just wanted to prove to myself that after ten years of sickness i would not let my two cancers and mesh nightmare defeet me. I was not in the race to win i took in everything around me the scenery was beautiful and i was just happy to be a part of the experience.
http://www.shouldice.com/
Glad you are back, Blair! What a great posting for all of us that try to stay "Normal" while dealing with Mesh or its aftermath. Although I am in pain everyday,I try not to let the fact that I have mesh in me affect how I live my life. There are times that I cannot do what I want because I can only curl up and wait for the pain meds to kick in. But unless you are bed ridden and cannot get up and out, you need to try and be active. Not only physically but mentally. Do not shut yourself off from the world and wallow in your Meshoma problems. Realize that we are here for such a short time and try to enjoy the time we have. Friends, Family and Loved ones held close for as long as you can is pretty good goal. I am a mild case of Meshoma and I Thank God for that everyday as I read the Posts on here. I suffered a lot and could have died but I did not. I believe there was a reason for that. Maybe being on this Forum and trying to help other victims? I do not cuss the Dr.'s as I used to, blaming them for my situation. Doesn't and won't do any good. NOW, the Manufacturers! That is a different story but not for today! But, I digress...... Blair, your example of Optimism and a Positive attitude through the Mesh and the Cancer should be example for all of us. Wecome back and Congratulations on your Run. As always, Thanks for your participation and input, Best Wishes......
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#7857 Jun 7, 2013
Thanks for the link, also, Blair. I could not remember that site for Jay as an alternative to Mesh. Thanks!!
Terlin

Ann Arbor, MI

#7858 Jun 7, 2013
I wish I could function like you people I'm on my last leg I try every day to be positive and things are getting worse please say a prayer for me the docs can do no more for me thank you terlin.
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#7859 Jun 8, 2013
Terlin wrote:
I wish I could function like you people I'm on my last leg I try every day to be positive and things are getting worse please say a prayer for me the docs can do no more for me thank you terlin.
I have posted a few times to you, Terlin and I am terribly Sorry that none of my suggestions/questions ( or anybody else's for that matter ) put you on a better path. Please do not be offended with my next questions. Are you ABSOLUTELY sure that it is the mesh that has caused and is causing all the symptoms you have described? Are you on any Kidney meds or other treatments?( anti-biotics etc.) Why is it that the Dr.'s cannot help you? What is their explanation for your pain and bowel problems? If there is obvious infection, bowel restriction, etc. are they not concerned? Has Ramshaw been informed of this? What was his explanation? Was He concerned or offer advice? Have you had up to date MRI,CT or Sonogram? Lets see if I can help you get some answers after you answer mine, OK? I'll say a prayer, too. Best Wishes......
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#7860 Jun 8, 2013
I asked Terlin about his belief that the Mesh has done all of the things he has described. The reason I ask is because there have been a few cases that have come up lately where the patient was adament about Mesh being the culprit to all their ills. One gentlemen was on a Kidney medication which when researched it was found that the medication had side effects that were exactly what he described. It took some time and a lot of questions before he suddenly said " well, yes, I am taking other meds blah blah, I guess I should have mentioned that". Bingo, ten minutes later he found out what had been bothering him for a Long Time. And the Mesh had NOTHING to do with his bowel problems, headaches, dizziness etc.. He had blamed Mesh and was CONVINCED that it was Mesh. Just because you have a Mesh product in you does not mean that all you are suffering is from the Implant. How old are you? Are you a Smoker? Are you over weight? Diabetes? Have you been not so kind to your body over your life time? Accidents? Drug use ( both legal and illegal )? Alcohol? There are so many variables especially as we grow older that we have to be aware of. OK, last story...Got a call from a guy that had had Hernia surgery ( 20 years hence ) with a "Possible" implant, he was "pretty" sure. Had a an oval buldge over the surgical site. It was fluid without an indication of a new Hernia. He found my cell number on the Forum and called me from Oklahoma and wanted advice. Convinced he had a Mesh problem he was headed for the Emergency Room. Gave him a list of what to check for, some he did while I was on the phone, and then he left for the Hospital. An hour or so later he called me up, he was on Anti-biotics, Anti-inflammitories and he had a Dr.'s appt for the next morning and although the E.R. Dr. wanted to keep him overnight for observation he was released to his Mother and she was instructed to keep a close eye on him..........and his Spider Bite. You never know.........Best Wishes....
Sonya

Spanish Fort, AL

#7863 Jun 8, 2013
Terlin wrote:
Had my mesh removed by ramshaw and did not help with my bowel and bladder problems very difficult to defacate feels like bowels are over my pelvic bone no abdominal muscle left and now severe groin pain and numbness pain full to sit or lay.
Hi Terlin,so sorry to hear of this. If you have not been tested for peritonitis,please ask your doctor to do so as some of your symptoms seem related. God bless,u are in my prayers.
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#7864 Jun 10, 2013
Terlin, Knowing that you are in pain and you are suffering I realize that you are having a difficult time. But you are posting on here asking for help and people are trying to. Please respond to the questions I asked and maybe to Sonya also with her question about peritenitis. Thanks......
Jay Ranger

Cape Coral, FL

#7865 Jun 10, 2013
Thank you All Meshed Up and Blair for your kind emails. I'm still doing research into the non-mesh techniques and doctors I should consider. If you have any other information or suggestions, please post. Thanks again.
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#7866 Jun 10, 2013
Jay Ranger wrote:
Thank you All Meshed Up and Blair for your kind emails. I'm still doing research into the non-mesh techniques and doctors I should consider. If you have any other information or suggestions, please post. Thanks again.
You are more than Welcome! Let us know what you come up with and how you are doing. Best of Luck and Best Wishes.....
Lavinia

Piedmont, OK

#7867 Jun 10, 2013
patty wrote:
I found this post from 2011 about a new type of hernia surgery which does not use mesh. I followed the link and there are quite a few surgeons now using it. I wish to god we would have known. Read on-
After being diagnosed with a hernia recently, and being terrified for my life after reading all the horror stories, I have researched extensively on the subject (which is how I found this forum). It appears that a great man from India has stumbled upon a revolutionary surgical procedure. I know the spirit of this forum is to avoid surgery, but for some there is no choice, so I felt it was necessary to post this for all who are suffering.
The technique is based on a new theory, essentially stating that the physiological make up of individuals prone to hernia differs from those who are not prone. His surgical technique thus changes the physiology of the patient by attaching tendon to the hernia site. He uses no mesh, there is no tension, recovery time is rapid, and all sutures are absorbable meaning there are zero foreign bodies inside you. What's more, he has released his technique to the world, royalty free. Here are videos of the procedure he has given as instructional and informational material to the world: http://www.youtube.com/user/herniasurgery#p/u
This means any doctor can use it, and he hopes and encourages them to do so. The technique is easy and cheap to perform, thus no special training is required and many around the world are using it with great success. Here is a list of doctors around the world currently using his technique: http://www.desarda.com/doctors-centers
He claims there is no recurrence because it treats the cause, not the symptom. This is backed up by the tons of research published on this technique, including some done in the USA: http://hernia-repair.webs.com/articles.htm and even videos of his patients walking, lifting, bending, a day after surgery: http://www.youtube.com/user/herniasurgery#p/u
Other relevant links include his main website: http://www.desarda.com/ , a detailed journal of someone having the procedure done by a U.S. surgeon: http://www.rapidrecovery.net/hernia-4.html and a video of someone's entire trip to India documented on video, including surgery and the patient walking around and feeling great hours after surgery: http://studioposeidon.com/revolutionary_herni ...
As for me, I am going to try and hold off on surgery as long as possible. But if there comes a time when I need it, I will have Dr. Desarda's technique done by a U.S. surgeon. It appears he even posts on message boards and answers e-mails. I hope this information benefits you well.
Do you know what kind of hernias the Dasarda technique is done on?I have 3 surgical hernia in my stomach from open surgery.I emailed the Dasarda clinic twice,which is U First Health,and Dr. Darnell in Texas who does this technique and did not get a response from either.
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#7868 Jun 10, 2013
Lavinia wrote:
<quoted text> Do you know what kind of hernias the Dasarda technique is done on?I have 3 surgical hernia in my stomach from open surgery.I emailed the Dasarda clinic twice,which is U First Health,and Dr. Darnell in Texas who does this technique and did not get a response from either.
****Lavinia, The majority of his surgeries appear to be inguinal Hernia repairs. Although hesitant with any presumptions of techniques, please read this 2008 article from Saudi Arabia concerning the research and conclusion based on Dr. Dasard's technique. Kind of late for most of us but definately interesting.*********Backgroun d/Aim: The author has published results from two series based on his new technique of inguinal hernia repair. Interrupted sutures with a nonabsorbable material were used for repairs in both theses series. The author now describes the results of repairs done with continuous absorbable sutures. Materials and Methods: This is a prospective study of 229 patients having 256 hernias operated from December 2003 to December 2006. An undetached strip of the external oblique aponeurosis was sutured between the inguinal ligament and the muscle arch to form the new posterior wall. Continuous sutures were taken with absorbable suture material (Monofilament Polydioxanone Violet). Data of hospital stay, complications, ambulation, recurrences, and pain were recorded. Follow-up was done until June 2007. Results: A total of 224 (97.8%) patients were ambulatory within 6-8 h (mean: 6.42 h) and they attained free ambulation within 18-24 h (mean: 19.26 h). A total of 222 (96.4%) patients returned to work within 6-14 days (mean: 8.62 days) and 209 (91.26%) patients had one-night stays in the hospital. A total of 216 (94.3%) patients had mild pain for 2 days. There were four minor complications, but no recurrence or incidence of chronic groin pain. Patients were followed up for a mean period of 24.28 months (range: 6-42 months). Conclusions: The results of this study correlate well with the author's previous publications. Continuous suturing saves operative time and one packet of suture material. The dream of every surgeon to give recurrence-free inguinal hernia repair without leaving any foreign body inside the patient may well become a reality in future.***** I'm kinda particular to the last sentence.****** Best Wishes...
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#7869 Jun 11, 2013
The Desard Technique is similar to the Shouldice technique that Blair had had Posted a Link to in the previous page.
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#7870 Jun 11, 2013
On another topic...It seems that I have a Hernia where the Kugel Mesh was Implanted. Kind of explains what I have been dealing with for the past 4-5 years. With Sonography you could see the scar tissue and the Hernia ( not quite epidermal ) that is adjacent to the metal tacks from the previous mesh that was removed. The tacks are next to my Femoral Vein and pose a fairly extreme problem if I get an adominal impact or surgery not done well. I am hoping that with this "new" evidence that a Laproscopy examination will find out what happened to the mesh that WAS NOT where it was supposed to be and WHY I got the Hernia where this material was supposed to "Stop" it. Enquireing minds want to know! Sonography Tech said that in 7 years she had not seen what she saw today. Taken 3-4 years to get this set up with a V.A. Dr. that would actually take what I said and acted on it. It is what it is but at least I know that what I believed was true. So my own story continues, Dear Friends. I will let you know how it goes.....Best Wishes.....
Blair

Montague, Canada

#7871 Jun 11, 2013
All Meshed Up wrote:
On another topic...It seems that I have a Hernia where the Kugel Mesh was Implanted. Kind of explains what I have been dealing with for the past 4-5 years. With Sonography you could see the scar tissue and the Hernia ( not quite epidermal ) that is adjacent to the metal tacks from the previous mesh that was removed. The tacks are next to my Femoral Vein and pose a fairly extreme problem if I get an adominal impact or surgery not done well. I am hoping that with this "new" evidence that a Laproscopy examination will find out what happened to the mesh that WAS NOT where it was supposed to be and WHY I got the Hernia where this material was supposed to "Stop" it. Enquireing minds want to know! Sonography Tech said that in 7 years she had not seen what she saw today. Taken 3-4 years to get this set up with a V.A. Dr. that would actually take what I said and acted on it. It is what it is but at least I know that what I believed was true. So my own story continues, Dear Friends. I will let you know how it goes.....Best Wishes.....
Sorry to hear this but i figured it would happen, more pain and suffering, the sooner you take care of problem the better, god dam mesh ruining so many people and nobody cares. You have a long road ahead put keep your head up, stay positive. You will need a skilled plastic surgeon and a surgeon to repair the damage. I didn't win the Lotto this week but if i do you will be taken care of by me!
Tabitha

United States

#7873 Jun 11, 2013
Hello AMU and all,just wanted u to know that as I was trying to get on this site,I went under the wrong forum(kugel mesh settlements-topix) and as I read some of the post,I stumbled on a story very similar to mines. Their medicare benefits have been taken because their atty refuse to give them a letter,letting medicare know that they refused the offer and medicare will not pay for any of their medical needs. There has to be something that can be done to these attys for their actions. They can't just get away with this.
Tabitha

United States

#7874 Jun 11, 2013
Hello Blair,I also noticed that u posted on this forum. Do u have any knowledge of why these attys are being so crucial?
Lin

AOL

#7875 Jun 12, 2013
All Meshed Up wrote:
:} Hi AMU, It's Lin. Just read your post, this sounds alot like the pain I was going through before my resecnt surgery.( not the mesh movement). The tack pain does. My srgeon says that the mesh was attached fine it's that 3 hernias were under it growing, and the dia rectus, was puuling part. Doing preety good. Still have pain around last drain tube bulb area, feel a lumb their yet was having pain their before the surgery, yet very same area of the first hernia repair which was open. Sure hope the best for you.:) One last comment will I guess we all know by now why we aren't getting help with the meshh from hell lawsuites? Will with all the corrupt news thats been breaking or Whisltblown, scams etc... this ought give all better clues that we are getting screwed by our own Gov!
Blair

Montague, Canada

#7876 Jun 12, 2013
Tabitha wrote:
Hello Blair,I also noticed that u posted on this forum. Do u have any knowledge of why these attys are being so crucial?
Tabitha, the law firms are in it for a percentage, if you decide not to settle they get nothing and they put pressure on you by reporting your case to medicare. You are just a number to them and they can not prove the mesh is at fault. But i know this for sure anyone that did not settle is skating on thin ice and some have already falling in. They will never find another law firm to take on their case. Very shortly you will see all unsettled cases dropped by their law firms and the Kugel Mesh Case will be history.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Benbrook Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Clinic For Special Surgery - Linden Dil... (Aug '09) 12 hr Lookingthru 2
Poll what happened to all the original labare dancer... (Jun '10) Sat Deb G 311
News Gold medal pianist to play at Walk Hall Fri Stonetemple 2
lance coporal garrett caudill adulterer Aug 15 xboxnygga 1
Paschal HS LGBT Bathrooms And Showers Aug 15 Rusty Fralia 3
gang stalking in dfw (Feb '16) Aug 3 kerirae 37
News Man Drowns During Party At Lake Benbrook (May '08) May '17 zoe 18

Benbrook Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Benbrook Mortgages