Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns of Death and Serious Healt...

There are 8189 comments on the PRWeb story from Feb 4, 2007, titled Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns of Death and Serious Healt.... In it, PRWeb reports that:

Patients should review the latest recall information to see if they have been implanted with the recalled device and seek medical attention if symptoms such as unexplained or persistent abdominal pain, fever, ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at PRWeb.

C Smith

Hayward, CA

#7787 May 15, 2013
All Meshed Up wrote:
<quoted text> Dr Peterson has a lot of experience with Mesh Removal. His website will tell you so. The problem with taking mesh out is what is left behind. Adhesion damage, Mesh not removed and now migrating, Nerve cut or damage, where did the "Tacks" go, what is going to be used to repair the "Hole" that you now have, will the removal of the Mesh give you a better "Life", what will be the side effects of removing the Mesh and all that has been mentioned do to me in the next 10 years? These are the questions you will need to ask yourself. It is one thing to have the "Crap" removed and it is a completely other thing to deal with the aftermath. The best surgeons for this sort of surgery are cognisant of what comes WITH the removal and not just removing the mesh. Go back a couple of pages and check out the links I posted about 2 of the Best Dr.'s in the country for mesh removal and the subsequet problems before and after mesh. As I found out 6 years ago and since, the removal of that little monster has long lasting problems. Let us know how you are and know that All of us on here have and are going through what you are dealing with now. You are not alone, nor crazy. Well, that may be a bit judgemental but there you go! Best Wishes and get back to us when you can........
Another doctor to try would be Dr. Clark Gerhart to remove the mesh - his contact information can be found at http://www.clarkgerhart.com/contact.html It will probably take more than one surgery to get it all removed. If you need financial assistance with the numerous surgeries you may wish to consult a lawyer for this. The settlements for cases of high levels of injury, pain, and suffering are often great, and you really have nothing to lose. Lawyers will usually take such cases on a contingency, free of charge basis, and you will pay nothing throughout. You can find lawyer referrals at www.MeshInjuryCenter.com Remember, things can only get better from this point on!
Blair

Charlottetown, Canada

#7788 May 16, 2013
PLC1999 wrote:
Hello all,I have previously commented on this forum. Well since my last post, I have now been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, with a positive ANA,SM-antibody,and RNP-antibody. Just another process of my FBR(foreign body rejection). It's only time before the mesh toxins progress into much more. PLEASE,PLEASE read the following link so that maybe you can present this to your primary care physicians, so that maybe they can be educated on our Mesh sentence. Also, for those of you that experience bowel problems like I do, try liquid Magnesium gel tabs, I use the Carlson brand from Vitamin Cottage. THIS HAS CHANGED MY LIFE!!!
The Links Between Surgical Mesh Complications and the Development of Autoimmune Diseases.
http://tvtno.org/the-facts/surgical-mesh-and-...
Thank you for the great info, i will send it to Health Canada today. I got a phone call from them yesterday and after a year looking into the adverse events and talking with Bard/Davol they decided the mesh implants are very helpful in recovery and believe the mesh companys who tell them that the surgeons are making mistakes during the implants. They are sorry this happened to me but there are risks with everything. They help more patients in recovery as compared to adverse events. I told him it is not mandatory for doctors to report adverse events, he said i was right. He said my doctor reported mine and i told him my doctor was in denial and he looked at his paper work to see i reported it and i told him how many people who have been harmed by mesh would know what a adverse event report was. He phoned me back and asked if i could contact another victim of Bard and help him find a surgeon to remove the mesh in Canada. It is sad after all these years to watch people come on topix with there storys when this should of been stopped ten tears ago. Thank god we got people like All Meshed Up helping to guide victims. It is great to see all this new info being posted and caring people to help others find a surgeon to remove mesh.
Blair

Charlottetown, Canada

#7789 May 16, 2013
I am researching for a plastic surgeon who can remove mesh in Canada and do a fascia tissue repair when i found this surgeons name. I am not sure if his name popped up on here before but it would not hurt to google him and do some research on him. Part of a CTV news article below.

Some Canadian patients say their doctors deny that the mesh is the cause of their pain, or say they don’t know how to remove it once it becomes embedded in tissue. Some offer only partial removals.

Atlanta surgeon Dr. John Miklos says he has successfully removed mesh from more than 170 women, including a dozen from Canada.

Miklos said the operation to remove the mesh is “not for the average surgeon,” because it becomes a complicated procedure in which most of the mesh must be removed.“If it were (easy) it would already be fixed,” he said.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/more-women-seek-...
PLC1999

United States

#7790 May 16, 2013
can anyone tell me why TVT mesh is being recognized as harmful but abdominal mesh is not? The two are no different from each other just placed in different locations in our bodies. made by the same manufacture with the same toxins. my two pieces of mesh were placed in my abdomen with the same complications as my grandmother who has TVT mesh. The lawyers are all about my grandmother because its a "transvaginal mesh" but so sorry for me. Are there no lawyer's who will listen to all of us? Erin Brockovich took a chance and look what happened. I am just looking for a way to get this death sentence out of me. My immune system can't fight it much longer. This pain and bathrooms are a part of my life. My primary doctor knows its the mesh, but his hands are tied because no surgeon will listen. I don't have the money to travel to see the surgeons you have mentioned, and I'm sure my insurance through my job will not pay for it.
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#7791 May 16, 2013
PLC1999 wrote:
can anyone tell me why TVT mesh is being recognized as harmful but abdominal mesh is not? The two are no different from each other just placed in different locations in our bodies. made by the same manufacture with the same toxins. my two pieces of mesh were placed in my abdomen with the same complications as my grandmother who has TVT mesh. The lawyers are all about my grandmother because its a "transvaginal mesh" but so sorry for me. Are there no lawyer's who will listen to all of us? Erin Brockovich took a chance and look what happened. I am just looking for a way to get this death sentence out of me. My immune system can't fight it much longer. This pain and bathrooms are a part of my life. My primary doctor knows its the mesh, but his hands are tied because no surgeon will listen. I don't have the money to travel to see the surgeons you have mentioned, and I'm sure my insurance through my job will not pay for it.
Bruce and I have talked about this quite often. I will "Tread: on dangerous ground here....Hernia Mesh is used mainly on Males. When we have a problem with mesh we have the same pain,sexual problems, bowels etc that is experienced by women with the Gyno/Vaginal mesh. And this is where I start walking on shacky ground....I believe it is because of the Reproductive capability of women. Men, we loose a testicle ( I was told I didn't need that anyway. Uh, gee, Thanks...) and then deal with what ever damage comes along with the mesh. Women on the other hand, loose their reproductive capabilities and organs, have the same sexual problems and bowel problems AND make for a better client in court. It will be easier for a Lawyer to get a Judge and/or Jury to "See" and "Understand" the full impact of what mesh has done by seeing what happened to the Women. And again, Hernia Mesh is mainly understood to be a "Guy" thing even though its the same material and Women get Hernias too. This is my own theory and may seem convaluted to some but it WOULD explain the interest by Lawyers in the Gyno/Vaginal mesh cases. Also their have been many types of mesh made by several manufacturers and they are ALL having problems. A Women loosing her capability to have children IS a major life changing event when it is caused by a Medical Device that was supposed to help them. But it is very discouraging to us Hernia Mesh victims when we see all of that publicity about a product that has done us irrepreble damage also AND made of the same material. And you have to admit, it IS strange that THAT fact is not recognized ( or admitted ) by the FDA, the Medical Profession or the Courts. Thats my take of the difference between Hernia and Gyno/Vaginal mesh legal issues.....strange though it may be....I'm on pain medication, so what the Hell would I know? ;>) Best Wishes.......P.S. I have tried Erin Brokovich for 2 years now....She goes after "Easier" cases. "Sorry Erin" ;>)
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#7792 May 16, 2013
C Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Another doctor to try would be Dr. Clark Gerhart to remove the mesh - his contact information can be found at http://www.clarkgerhart.com/contact.html It will probably take more than one surgery to get it all removed. If you need financial assistance with the numerous surgeries you may wish to consult a lawyer for this. The settlements for cases of high levels of injury, pain, and suffering are often great, and you really have nothing to lose. Lawyers will usually take such cases on a contingency, free of charge basis, and you will pay nothing throughout. You can find lawyer referrals at www.MeshInjuryCenter.com Remember, things can only get better from this point on!
I don't know whether to tell you to "F" off or not. I think your another non-person helping advertise crap Lawyers and Doctors for Free on a website for Mesh Victims.And what the hell would you know about "It can only get better from here!? I bet your not even a Mesh recipient are you? Prove me wrong, Please. Otherwise, Please "F" off.....Best Wishes......NOT!
Blair

Charlottetown, Canada

#7793 May 17, 2013
All Meshed Up, trying to help a guy who was on here years back. He is on pain management pills and has a Brad Prefex Plug implanted for a inginal hernia around 2007. He is only allowed to go to one surgeon to have this removed because of workmans compensation. That surgeon is telling him the same old story we all heard when trying to get these meshs out. The insurance will pay if this surgeon does it but long story short, he does not have the skills to remove the mesh. Have you heard of Dr. Steve Haggerty, Chicago. He needs mesh removed and off the pills big time, he is hooked. Sad. AMU, doing my first 5k next week after 13 years of medical problems. If i do not post anymore it will be because i had a heart attack. LOL. It has taken a lot of pain and training to get to this happy place we call life.

Since: Jan 13

Burlington, WI

#7795 May 17, 2013
PLC1999.....again THANK YOU so much for the great link!!!!!!!!!!
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#7796 May 17, 2013
Blair wrote:
All Meshed Up, trying to help a guy who was on here years back. He is on pain management pills and has a Brad Prefex Plug implanted for a inginal hernia around 2007. He is only allowed to go to one surgeon to have this removed because of workmans compensation. That surgeon is telling him the same old story we all heard when trying to get these meshs out. The insurance will pay if this surgeon does it but long story short, he does not have the skills to remove the mesh. Have you heard of Dr. Steve Haggerty, Chicago. He needs mesh removed and off the pills big time, he is hooked. Sad. AMU, doing my first 5k next week after 13 years of medical problems. If i do not post anymore it will be because i had a heart attack. LOL. It has taken a lot of pain and training to get to this happy place we call life.
Just because he is on Workmens Comp does not mean he cannot get another opinion or surgeon. If his present Dr. has a bad case of Analcrani-itus and will not allow him to get another Dr. have him call his Workmens Comp Insurance rep and request that way. If he has a Lawyer have the Lawyer request/Demand another surgeon. That is a real bad problem within the W.C. system is the sometimes easy access to too many pain killers and not enough medical care. Good Luck on the race, Blair! Really really proud of you for that. Please let me know if I can help further or maybe talk to your friend on the phone. Best Wishes......
Blair

Charlottetown, Canada

#7797 May 17, 2013
All Meshed Up wrote:
<quoted text> Just because he is on Workmens Comp does not mean he cannot get another opinion or surgeon. If his present Dr. has a bad case of Analcrani-itus and will not allow him to get another Dr. have him call his Workmens Comp Insurance rep and request that way. If he has a Lawyer have the Lawyer request/Demand another surgeon. That is a real bad problem within the W.C. system is the sometimes easy access to too many pain killers and not enough medical care. Good Luck on the race, Blair! Really really proud of you for that. Please let me know if I can help further or maybe talk to your friend on the phone. Best Wishes......
Thanks AMU, i agree but he tells me that this is his only option and he went to a lawyer but we know how that works. I will be gone for 10 days and when i will get back i will phone him because you are right something does not add up. The surgeon said in one of his reports it was in his head, we all heard that one before. Workmens comp. would love that. There is no one in Canada that does this so he is selling of property and his boss is helping out. Workmens comp. refuse to pay to have it done in the states. He is young enough, he said he had an eight year old daughter so i am just assuming that, to recover if the mesh removal is sucessful. He was very nervous on the phone, i think it's the medication, i will help him out when i get back and yes if it comes to phoning you that will work to ease his mind. Thanks
Tabitha

Houston, TX

#7798 May 17, 2013
Hello all. I am one of the mesh victims that has commented here on the forum. Today,I am commenting because I am just sick and tired. Has any one else been screwed by their lawyer as I have. Can someone please give me some input on this.I refused the kugel mesh settlement. Although I refused it,my lawyer sent info to medicare and they are suing me for the cost of my surgery. The conversations I had with my attorney,I felt I was being forced to accept and because I said no,they started being very rude to me. I explained this to medicare,sent them a copy of my refusal but they have already sent this to dept of treasury.HELP. Bless u all.
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#7799 May 17, 2013
Tabitha wrote:
Hello all. I am one of the mesh victims that has commented here on the forum. Today,I am commenting because I am just sick and tired. Has any one else been screwed by their lawyer as I have. Can someone please give me some input on this.I refused the kugel mesh settlement. Although I refused it,my lawyer sent info to medicare and they are suing me for the cost of my surgery. The conversations I had with my attorney,I felt I was being forced to accept and because I said no,they started being very rude to me. I explained this to medicare,sent them a copy of my refusal but they have already sent this to dept of treasury.HELP. Bless u all.
Gosh, where the heck to begin? First off, I am so Sorry that you are being used as a pawn in what I believe is a huge scam. MediCare/Medicaid want to be paid back as do the insurance companies for any surgery when there is settlement. They ALL ran to the trough when the Kugel/Bard case came up for decision. The Lawyers made money, the Insurance Companies/MediCare/Medicaid got some of their outlay back, the Courts got to say "Looky what we did" and the Mesh Victim got squat. The Lawyer is upset because your 40% was already accounted for in his final take.( Mercedes Benz payment due?) My feeling about this, and I will check other sources for you, is that how can MediCare ask for part of something that is not there. You did not get a settlement and your decision not to settle has not a thing to do with them because THEY are not part of your legal agreement. The Lawyer just wants to be paid for services rendered. That is understandable and I think you would agree with that. BUT you did not want nor get a settlement as it stands now and so a demand of payment does not stand. If Medicaid was expecting to "Grab" a chunk of your settlement were you notified as such? Did you recieve a letter from them stating that? Or were they waiting on the sidelines for the courts decision, file paperwork and just take it? If you had an agreement with Medicaid subsequent to a settlement, that COULD be construed as a "Legal and Binding Agreement" and then you are stuck. But if not, then there was no settlemnt and they are S.O.L.. Unfortunately so are you at this point because I do not believe there are any further court dates for that particular MDL and Bard/Kugel is refusing any other settlements or negotiations. Sorry for being long winded here but I would say that you are NOT liable for payments to anyone from a settlement that was NOT recieved. As I said I will check other sources more familiar with that MDL and will post by Monday. Let me know about my questions though as that will be decisive. I truly wish you the Best and Hope we can help you out. Do NOT let them bully you or cause you distress. Till Later.....Best Wishes....
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#7800 May 17, 2013
One other quick thought, If they ask why you did not take the settlement IT IS NONE OF THEIR DAMN BUSINESS! It is your Life and YOUR Decision NOT theirs. I'll get back to you as soon as possible.......

Burlington, WI

#7801 May 17, 2013
Blair wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for the great info, i will send it to Health Canada today. I got a phone call from them yesterday and after a year looking into the adverse events and talking with Bard/Davol they decided the mesh implants are very helpful in recovery and believe the mesh companys who tell them that the surgeons are making mistakes during the implants. They are sorry this happened to me but there are risks with everything. They help more patients in recovery as compared to adverse events. I told him it is not mandatory for doctors to report adverse events, he said i was right. He said my doctor reported mine and i told him my doctor was in denial and he looked at his paper work to see i reported it and i told him how many people who have been harmed by mesh would know what a adverse event report was. He phoned me back and asked if i could contact another victim of Bard and help him find a surgeon to remove the mesh in Canada. It is sad after all these years to watch people come on topix with there storys when this should of been stopped ten tears ago. Thank god we got people like All Meshed Up helping to guide victims. It is great to see all this new info being posted and caring people to help others find a surgeon to remove mesh.
Thank God we have people like AMU is right, PLC199, great info

Burlington, WI

#7802 May 17, 2013
PLC1999 wrote:
Great question! I was wondering the same, Thanks AMU for the answer, again, how wrong is this system? I called the company I worked for at the time today to see if they still have my work comp info on my surgery, hospital wants nothing to do with me, this is just plain Bull Shit, simple as that.
PLC1999

United States

#7803 May 18, 2013
AnySuggestion wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank God we have people like AMU is right, PLC199, great info
Glad the link was informative, but in my case maybe it was to much information. I sit here wondering and waiting for what might come next. How long before it becomes full blown Lupus or more. The best thing is to keep passing this link/information, to as many VICTIM'S as possible so that they can provide it to their doctors as well. It was an eye opener for my primary care physician and my family, until they read the facts of what I have been complaining about for 13 years, I received apologies and more support. I know I have to look at the glass half full, or I will let this anger consume me. AMU I live in Co. as well, Maybe someday we can get a support group together. Has anyone tried the liquid Magnesium yet?
Blair

Montague, Canada

#7804 May 18, 2013
PLC1999 wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad the link was informative, but in my case maybe it was to much information. I sit here wondering and waiting for what might come next. How long before it becomes full blown Lupus or more. The best thing is to keep passing this link/information, to as many VICTIM'S as possible so that they can provide it to their doctors as well. It was an eye opener for my primary care physician and my family, until they read the facts of what I have been complaining about for 13 years, I received apologies and more support. I know I have to look at the glass half full, or I will let this anger consume me. AMU I live in Co. as well, Maybe someday we can get a support group together. Has anyone tried the liquid Magnesium yet?
I sent it to Health Canada and told him there is two sides to ever story. You only have the mesh company's and surgeons reasons the mesh still should be used in surgery's. Here is a great article with real facts why we the victim's what the real truth to be exposed and put an end to lies being told by the mesh company's and surgeon's. Do a study and see how much this is costing medicare in Canada. Thanks again, it was prefect timing.
All Meshed Up

Whitewater, CO

#7805 May 18, 2013
PLC1999 wrote:
<quoted text>
When I approached my Dr at the V.A. about the possibility of chemical leaching from my little Monster I was given "The Look". Or the," WTF are you talking about reaction". It seems so far fetched to those that have not had to live with a mesh product inside them that 1. you are in pain all the time. 2. You are dealing with Bowel, Intestinal and possibly urinary problems that you suspect the mesh to have caused. 3. As I have been experiencing over the past few years, you get infections that do not make sense as to why they crop up. The infections in my case have been small and are taken care of with anti-biotics but why are they getting more frequent and stubborn to get rid of? I believe, as many of you have posted, that my immune system is being degregated because of my bodies 24/7/365 fight against this foreign object in me. 4. I go back to the chemical leeching aspect of mesh material into the body. Here lies a subject that the Medical community in all their technology and knowledge will not broach. The Link that PLC1999 has posted goes directly to the heart of this subject and provides, I believe, a diffinitive answer. Yes, we are slowly being poisoned from within by a supposed benign material. The pain, I have been able to handle. The infections are starting to bother me. The possibility of being poisoned scares the Hell out of me. Now that we are aware of this possibility what can we do? If the Medical Community and our wonderful FDA will not admit to much at all about mesh where can we turn for help? What, if anything can be done for, say me, a victim after 6-7 years of exposure? Especially if Dr.'s are scared to try and take the mesh out because of possible life threatening situations ( i.e. Close proximity to the Femoral Vein/Artery ). Kidney Dialysis to clean out the blood? But what about my liver and kidneys? Is it possible to "Get it all out"? With all that we discuss on here, with all the horror stories about open wounds and migration into organs and mass infections ect ect, what can be done about the chemicals? If proven true in all instances that WE ALL have been poisoned that puts the open wounds and mesh migration as just another one of many, many side effects of mesh but being poisoned has to be at the top of the list. Can you imagine? Even the folks that have not had one iota of any problems with mesh ( God Bless them ) are being poisoned! If that doesn't bring this whole house of cards down then I do not know what will. PLC1999, Im in Grand Junction, Co. and you can contact me at rm.howden@hotmail.com. I would be very intersted in getting a group together. I wish you ALL the Very Best and Hope that some day we will be proven right and then we can really kick some Manufacturer BUTT! With that thought......Best Wishes......
terlin

Ann Arbor, MI

#7806 May 18, 2013
Renee wrote:
I have had ongoing digestive issues, along with an adhesion, after inguinial hernia mesh repair in 2001 as well as occasional numbness in my leg. Has anyone experienced similar complications as a result of the hernia repair w/mesh?
Yes , would like to hear more from you. We have very simular symptoms. Digestive or defecating issues with numbness in legs that started out and now thru out body. My mesh and plugs put in in 2011 and removed 18 months later, with nerve entrapment. Disabled, but not on disability. Would love to talk with you further.
Karl

Saint Louis, MO

#7807 May 19, 2013
Daniel wrote:
I have been having complications due to my Hernia surgery. I called my surgeons office and spoke to one of the nurses. She informed me that the only way that they could tell if my mesh is causing my medical problems is by them reopening where the repair was done. I believe the mesh I have is not one of the ones that was recalled. It is the 3DP Ethecon Patch by Johnson and Johnson. If anyone has had problems with this patch, please let me know. I want to know how many people have had the same problems as me with this patch and maybe the FDA will look at this and investigate to see if it should also be recalled. If anyone knows the procedures to start an investigation through the FDA to get a mesh looked at for defects, please post the information. Thanks.
. The side affects I am having after surgery extreme joint pain with swollen joints,a rash all over my body,all tendons from head to feet inflamed. Could my body be having an allergic reaction to this Johnson & Johnson mesh? I'm under the care of a staff of doctors & medications just to function!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Benbrook Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Third Bandido arrested in motorcycle bar shooting Thu davila182 82
tonight may 20 at the aardvark - wade magee live! Wed WadeMageePromo 1
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Wed Banfartos 708
Paschal High School LGBT Class of 83 Reunion Wed Wesly Shaw 8
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Tue Fartdog 843
Judge Cynthia Mendoza, Associate Judge of 360th... (May '14) May 15 victim to abuse a... 2
Paschal high School (Jul '14) May 15 Eric Trotter 13
More from around the web

Benbrook People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]