Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns of Death and Serious Healt...

Full story: PRWeb

Patients should review the latest recall information to see if they have been implanted with the recalled device and seek medical attention if symptoms such as unexplained or persistent abdominal pain, fever, ...
Comments
6,981 - 7,000 of 8,070 Comments Last updated Saturday
Chuck

Sylacauga, AL

#7411 Mar 2, 2013
Does in a ct scan with dye, of the abdominal area show a new hernia? Or the bowels through the defected hole of hernia?
Blair

Charlottetown, Canada

#7412 Mar 2, 2013
Chuck wrote:
Does in a ct scan with dye, of the abdominal area show a new hernia? Or the bowels through the defected hole of hernia?
The ct scan with dye did not show mine, i had one for sure but when they operated there was five. Waste of time and money. I sure wish i had been warned about the mesh by my surgeon and given an option. Then i could of researched the mesh before the implant and found out i had options. All Meshed Up, you help a lot of people, and it makes me sick also to come on here everday and find more victims of mesh. My five surgery's were nothing compared to some cases that are posted. The road to recovery is a long one but never give up trying to get a surgeon who beleives in you. That is not easy but they are some great surgeons, try plastic surgeons.
All Meshed Up

Grand Junction, CO

#7413 Mar 2, 2013
Terlin wrote:
Has anyone have mesh removed and bowel problems get worse, had mine removed 4 mo ago pain now in the crease of the legs to groin and tightnes in sides of hips with severe lower ab pain pulling on my obliques . Can't sit anybody else like this and wondering if the Cleveland clinic help me?
My first question would be, Terlin, did they get all the mesh out? Next would be infection? Scar tissue or? strangling your intestines or putting "pressure"?You keep mentioning the bowel problem so I will ask if you have had a Colonoscopy lately? I am thinking maybe have blood, stool and urine teats run. See what that shows. I can't remember if you had an Inguinal hernia? If so the location is perfect for causing damage to nerves, blood flow and such from surgery and subsequent scarring. Let me know......Best Wishes....
All Meshed Up

Grand Junction, CO

#7414 Mar 2, 2013
Thanks George and Alien Baby for your kind words and thoughts. Feeling sorry for myself after a week or so of constant pain and little sleep. 1-900-WAaaaaa! Gotta pay to WAaaa. Anyway, Whatevers' post of the Linda Gross trial....The biggest line in the whole page is near the bottom. Anyone want to guess what line I am talking about?( Jeapordy theme music in the background!) "J&J Ethicon will appeal the decision." Thats the one that I'm talking about, folks. It ain't over till its over, Pilgrim.......
All Meshed Up

Grand Junction, CO

#7415 Mar 2, 2013
Blair wrote:
<quoted text>
The ct scan with dye did not show mine, i had one for sure but when they operated there was five. Waste of time and money. I sure wish i had been warned about the mesh by my surgeon and given an option. Then i could of researched the mesh before the implant and found out i had options. All Meshed Up, you help a lot of people, and it makes me sick also to come on here everday and find more victims of mesh. My five surgery's were nothing compared to some cases that are posted. The road to recovery is a long one but never give up trying to get a surgeon who beleives in you. That is not easy but they are some great surgeons, try plastic surgeons.
Hey there Blair, Thanks Mucho for your understanding of where I am coming from on all of this. I too come on here everyday and am appaled at the number of people we are now seeing but the stories are all the same for the most part. THAT is what is getting to me. The lack of info from the Dr.'s ala Linda Gross. The absolute mindless way that the FDA goes about its buisness cozying up to the manufacturers and lawyers to the detriment of Mesh Victims. Mesh Victims that are continueing to increase in numbers both men and women, old, young, healthy, not so healthy, new surgeries ( that really pisses me off!) and old surgeries. It has been the same story different face ever since I have been on this site. It trully grieves me. I have had long talks with Bruce about this. He was totally overwhelmed and still is with new phone calls and requests for help everyday. And it continues. I am not a Dr. but I have had enough experience, tutoring ( thanks Bruce )and a lot of research under my belt to know that the status quo cannot continue. And I hope that in some way I can give back what was given to me in the beginning of this mesh nightmare. Knowledge, understanding and no nonsense information about what will and can happen now that we have mesh. And it continues........Best Wishes to You and your Family, Blair
Terlin

Wayne, MI

#7416 Mar 2, 2013
All Meshed Up wrote:
<quoted text> My first question would be, Terlin, did they get all the mesh out? Next would be infection? Scar tissue or? strangling your intestines or putting "pressure"?You keep mentioning the bowel problem so I will ask if you have had a Colonoscopy lately? I am thinking maybe have blood, stool and urine teats run. See what that shows. I can't remember if you had an Inguinal hernia? If so the location is perfect for causing damage to nerves, blood flow and such from surgery and subsequent scarring. Let me know......Best Wishes....
Yes doc said all mesh and plugs removed also scar tissue on colon removed gastro dosnt think that scar tissue is my problem had a sigmoidoscopy done found nothing,it was inguinal also have urinating problems .
Chuck

Alexander City, AL

#7417 Mar 2, 2013
Blair wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, Ok this is getting confusing, We read the postings alnost daily. My wife has the neash J&J Proceed, since 2010. Ok she been having pain in upper under ribcage. and lower part of her throat, right between breast breastbone like heavy preasure, so she went to her local doctor, who first saw her, ordered ct scan on 02/26, she goes back on 03/12, yet he going to refer her back to advance surgeon, for he said the surgery is eo advance for him. He refering her. Ok yet he also told her that he deeply feels that they will not redo another surgery. which we don't understand or know why, we read that their posters that have had many nore surgeries than what she has had? She has 2 c-sections, 1 open Vent hernia 1 lap with mesh with heavy adhesions removed, yet under them the surgeon found her to have Dia Rectus whole length. On first open repair we found out they removed part of bowel for they were pinched. Yet the tissue holding everything in place it so thin with holes. So with all said does this sound like all possible reasons for not doing sugery? Yet ontop of all this SSDisability is now checking to see if she needs to stay on disability
Sonia_59

Australia

#7418 Mar 2, 2013
Lana Keeton wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Sonia, All mesh can cause all kinds of complications. Blood disease is really dangerous. Please find medical attention right away. The Biodesign is made to incorporate into your tissue and basically dissolve, leaving your tissue strengthened. Also, there are very few adverse events for Biodesign, not to say you don't have one. But the infection could have started during the original surgery and it is extremely difficult to treat. Go see a doctor as soon as possible. All the best, blessings, Lana
Hi Lana thank you for your concern, but I just want to qualify why you believe that there no adverse side effects with Biodesign. My research extensive showed that Biodesign is used in contaminated and or infected wound, and that it is made of 4-8 layers and has very small holes, who is to say that the bacteria lurking in the mesh once rehydrated and implanted does not enter your body? And also the pigs own DNA is now part of you. If you know more about this Biodesign? I woul love it if you would share it with me. The other thing my surgeon hid the fact that he used this Biodesign. Sorry one more thing this mesh is made from the small intestine submucusa of the pig, that is its gut, and we all know that pigs eat anything and every thing. Kindest regards Sonia
Sonia_59

Australia

#7419 Mar 2, 2013
All Meshed Up wrote:
Thanks George and Alien Baby for your kind words and thoughts. Feeling sorry for myself after a week or so of constant pain and little sleep. 1-900-WAaaaaa! Gotta pay to WAaaa. Anyway, Whatevers' post of the Linda Gross trial....The biggest line in the whole page is near the bottom. Anyone want to guess what line I am talking about?( Jeapordy theme music in the background!) "J&J Ethicon will appeal the decision." Thats the one that I'm talking about, folks. It ain't over till its over, Pilgrim.......
Hi All M..how are you feeling? As you may be aware I am now facing some sort of blood disease and or infection. Whatever you were going to share in you email, would you please be so kind to share it on this site. Telstra still have not got their shite together, and I am still without any network coverage. I only get limited access on my I Pad. Kindest regards Sonia. PS notice that Alt Me...has not been on this site? Or I have not looked close enough!
Nance

Brentwood, NY

#7420 Mar 2, 2013
Having complications one year after sepramesh. Can't get info anywhere. Terrine pain
Can anyone pease help. Doctors of no help
Clarkepn@optonline.net
Blair

Charlottetown, Canada

#7421 Mar 3, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text> Thanks, Ok this is getting confusing, We read the postings alnost daily. My wife has the neash J&J Proceed, since 2010. Ok she been having pain in upper under ribcage. and lower part of her throat, right between breast breastbone like heavy preasure, so she went to her local doctor, who first saw her, ordered ct scan on 02/26, she goes back on 03/12, yet he going to refer her back to advance surgeon, for he said the surgery is eo advance for him. He refering her. Ok yet he also told her that he deeply feels that they will not redo another surgery. which we don't understand or know why, we read that their posters that have had many nore surgeries than what she has had? She has 2 c-sections, 1 open Vent hernia 1 lap with mesh with heavy adhesions removed, yet under them the surgeon found her to have Dia Rectus whole length. On first open repair we found out they removed part of bowel for they were pinched. Yet the tissue holding everything in place it so thin with holes. So with all said does this sound like all possible reasons for not doing sugery? Yet ontop of all this SSDisability is now checking to see if she needs to stay on disability
Chuck listen to your first surgeon, he has already done a bowel resection and you can tell he knows more, be thank full you are getting a second opinion. I have been down this road, one surgeon after another, remember they all party together and pass on info. You need to find a surgeon and plastic surgeon to repair the damage to the fascia tissue. This can be repaired without mesh, the sad part is this all takes time and money, no insurance company will pay for gas, hotel bills and your time off work. You need do research fascia repair, never give up she needs you to be strong and fight to get her help. The first surgeon screwed up ,let him write a letter for disability. You need all the money you can get to go forward. She is not alone so you need to be understanding. When you find the right surgeon he will tell you you have options, then you know you have found what you are looking for.
Angry as hell

Midlothian, IL

#7422 Mar 3, 2013
I now have 2 different lawyers working on 2 different mesh recalls. One for the kugel mesh and one for the proceed mesh. I have a prolene mesh in me now and have lower abdominal pain all the time. I don't know if this mesh is on recall, but I am checking. I have been dealing with this since 2007 and I am hoping that something good comes out of one of these. I have 3 kids that I need to take care of and could use some extra money to help. My disability check doesn't go to far. I hope things go good for everyone on this site.
Chuck

Alexander City, AL

#7424 Mar 3, 2013
Blair wrote:
<quoted text>
Chuck listen to your first surgeon, he has already done a bowel resection and you can tell he knows more, be thank full you are getting a second opinion. I have been down this road, one surgeon after another, remember they all party together and pass on info. You need to find a surgeon and plastic surgeon to repair the damage to the fascia tissue. This can be repaired without mesh, the sad part is this all takes time and money, no insurance company will pay for gas, hotel bills and your time off work. You need do research fascia repair, never give up she needs you to be strong and fight to get her help. The first surgeon screwed up ,let him write a letter for disability. You need all the money you can get to go forward. She is not alone so you need to be understanding. When you find the right surgeon he will tell you you have options, then you know you have found what you are looking for.
Hi Blair, hell no not giving up. It's just all the BS redtape the lies etc.... got me pissed off. It's just that this homebase surgeon that did thr refering to another advance surgeon, says he doesn't believe her abdominal could handle another surgery, for the covering tissue is so weak. Her new scan does show area of trouble.
riverrat

Winona, MN

#7425 Mar 3, 2013
cat scan with dye of my belly showed mesh and sugiclal clips but no ring and i was on the mld for ring mesh

some say it dont some docs say it does

i wounder why it didnt see the ring that sure was put in there

doc said plastice is very hard to pick up on scan but if it was thick and larger it would
Blair

Charlottetown, Canada

#7426 Mar 3, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text> Hi Blair, hell no not giving up. It's just all the BS redtape the lies etc.... got me pissed off. It's just that this homebase surgeon that did thr refering to another advance surgeon, says he doesn't believe her abdominal could handle another surgery, for the covering tissue is so weak. Her new scan does show area of trouble.
I was told that also, thank your lucky stars you are rid of him, i wonder what else he screwed up. Ask your next surgeon for a fascia tissue repair, he should be able to consult a plastic surgeon and work together in the operating room. It is a complex surgery but the results are great, if you watch a video of Component Seperation you will see how the plastic surgeon can gain healty fascia to do the repair, mine was folded like an envelope, no mesh. Ask lots of questions. You will never know the amount of damage until you are opened up. My plastic surgeon said he had lots of options, i had full trust in him and the general surgeon. Stay positive and you are right lots of red tape to deal with.
Linda Mazzilli

Philadelphia, PA

#7427 Mar 3, 2013
I have spoken to two lawyers regarding the prolene mesh recall. One I gave all my info to filled out all the paperwork. Made copies and mailed it back and after several weeks they tell me they cant help me. That the prolene mesh is NOT one of the meshes that are recalled. The other lawyer I did all the same thing...but he told me because I had the surgery in New York that I needed to contact a lawyer from there and I have tryed contacting 2. No one calls me back. And I called over and over.....I just dont know what to do.
Blair

Charlottetown, Canada

#7428 Mar 3, 2013
Updated component separation technique, If you have a weak stomach don't open. Laparoscopy surgery. Very interesting.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/709934
Blair

Charlottetown, Canada

#7430 Mar 4, 2013
The abdominal wall serves to protect the abdominal organs, maintain upright posture and support the spine, and assist in bodily functions that require generation of Valsalva, such as coughing, urination, or defecation. There is also a suggestion that the absence of an intact abdominal wall results in loss of the mechanical endpoint of satiety, leading to unintentional weight gain. Indications for reconstruction can be both symptomatic and structural, with goals ranging from pain relief to prevention of incarceration. That said, while large abdominal wall defects can be plagued by significant herniation of intra-abdominal contents, the size of the fascial defect puts them at low risk for incarceration. Defects that ultimately require reconstruction may stem from trauma, tumor extirpation, previous abdominal procedures, and surgical management of severe infection.
All Meshed Up

Grand Junction, CO

#7431 Mar 4, 2013
Linda Mazzilli wrote:
I have spoken to two lawyers regarding the prolene mesh recall. One I gave all my info to filled out all the paperwork. Made copies and mailed it back and after several weeks they tell me they cant help me. That the prolene mesh is NOT one of the meshes that are recalled. The other lawyer I did all the same thing...but he told me because I had the surgery in New York that I needed to contact a lawyer from there and I have tryed contacting 2. No one calls me back. And I called over and over.....I just dont know what to do.
Unfortunately Linda the possibility of getting a lawyer to represent you on a Hernia Mesh case is remote. I have been through just about every major law firm in the country. Johnson Law Group, Austin Texas, dropped me after 3-4 months when they "changed" their criteria and I no longer fit in it. Motley Rice, Rhode Island( The Motley Crew ) my favorite bunch of weasels could not "fit" me in with their MDL case against Bard/Kugel ( A Kugel Patch with ring was implanted after the Prolene was removed, Thanks Mucho Doc!) even though I tried for over a year but they forgot about me in the mean time. Mark Mueller, the jet setting Lawyer who I have given documentation to to help with other cases wouldn't tell me but had a third party tell me that he would not take my case. Thanks Mark!'Preciate it man. I have had more letters from lawyers months after signing up with them and "thinking" ( now I'm in trouble) I had a lawyer only to read that I no longer did. I had one Law Firm do that AND send me a refrigerator magnet advertiseing their services! Thanks. Do not give up getting a lawyer Linda but I would concentrate on your health. That should be your priority. Then hopefully a miracle will happen, the FDA will come clean and the Manufacturers will have a conscience change. Uh, yeah. Best Wishes......
Blair

Charlottetown, Canada

#7432 Mar 4, 2013
As a two time cancer patient and being watched for a third i told the surgeon i was concerned after fourteen scans do i have another option, my only option was CT scan, after fifteen scans, my next vist to see if the size is increasing he said no but from know on we will do Ultra Sounds. I just walked out. He must of done some research.LOL. Mesh is my worst nightmare, one health problem to the next.

Update on CT Scans.

Patients May Underestimate the Risk of Cancer Death Associated With CT Scans
Feb 28, 2013

PrintEmailEditors' Recommendations
Limiting CT Scan Range Does Not Hinder Detection Rate in the LungMultiple CT Scans Add Minimal Additional Cancer RiskDrug & Reference Information
Nasal Cavity Anatomy, Physiology, and Anomalies on CT Scan
CT Scan of the Temporal Bone
Hepatic Chemoembolization Imaging
By Rob Goodier

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) Feb 28 - Radiation exposure from CT scans may account for up to 2% of all cancers in the United States, but patients tend to underestimate their lifetime risk, a new study finds.

"I would recommend that providers optimize their own understanding of CT-related risk in order to best inform and educate their patients as they share in the decision to pursue such imaging studies," Dr. Margaret Cook-Shimanek, who led the study at the University of Colorado, Denver, told Reuters Health by email.

Dr. Cook-Shimanek presented her results February 21st at the annual meeting of the American College of Preventive Medicine in Phoenix-Scottsdale, Arizona.

A November 2007 review in the New England Journal of Medicine suggested that CT scans in the U.S. may be associated with 1.5% to 2% of all cancers.

But in the new study, 83% of the 271 radiology outpatients who participated underestimated their lifetime risk of death from one abdominal CT scan.

When patients were involved in making the decision to use the scan, they were less likely to underestimate the risk. Multivariate analysis found an odds ratio of 0.45 for those patients compared to others in this cross-sectional study.

Those who said, incorrectly, that radiation exposure is higher from MRI than from CT were more likely to underestimate the risk from CT scans (OR 2.26).

"Providing basic radiation education and involving patients in the decision to undergo CT scan may translate into better understanding of CT-related lifetime cancer death risk," Dr. Cook-Shimanek said.

This research was supported in part by a Physician Training Award in Preventive Medicine from the American Cancer Society (ACS) and in part by Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Grant to the University of Colorado Preventive Medicine Residency Program.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Benbrook Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 3 hr That Fart Guy 17,898
TX Who do you support for Commissioner of Agricult... (Oct '10) 3 hr That Fart Guy 526
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 15 hr That Fart Guy 22,312
Black leaders push for investigation of fight (Mar '07) 18 hr Liberal forever 116
TX Who do you support for Railroad Commissioner in... (Oct '10) Sat That Fart Guy 770
TX Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in T... (Oct '10) Fri That Fart Guy 722
Irish Traveller Neighborhoods in Fort Worth, TX (Jul '12) Aug 28 Tim Pat Coogan 498
•••
•••
•••

Benbrook Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Benbrook People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Benbrook News, Events & Info