Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns of Death and Serious Healt...

Full story: PRWeb 8,155
Patients should review the latest recall information to see if they have been implanted with the recalled device and seek medical attention if symptoms such as unexplained or persistent abdominal pain, fever, ... Full Story
Chuck

Cusseta, GA

#7371 Feb 26, 2013
AMU, or anyone else. Ok got some questions my wife went to her hernia surgeon, he told her that because she has had 4 abdominal surgeries, he felt around the abdominal area couldn't feel anything of a bugle, didn't count one out, yet leaned more toward scar tissue, adhesions, for the deep twisting feeling when turn wrong way, or from deep cough snezzing allergy asthma season. He things that she may have tore tissue muscle. Anyway he ordered a Cat Scan for tomorrow. To see what might be going on in her abdominal area. He stated that I could not for see having another surgery. He said that their was not any worth while tissue to tack or stitch anything to. So where do we go from here. He says he would refer her to UAB of Brimingham. She can not work in this condition so where do we go from here?
What ever

Mcpherson, KS

#7372 Feb 26, 2013
Ethicon Vaginal Mesh Lawsuit Results in $3.35M Jury Award
What ever

Mcpherson, KS

#7373 Feb 26, 2013
Posted: 26 Feb 2013 08:45 AM PST
A New Jersey jury has awarded $3.35 million in damages for complications caused by vaginal mesh sold by Johnson & Johnson’s Ethicon division, and the manufacturer may be forced to pay additional punitive damages for willful and wanton behavior in failing to warn about the risks associated with their Gynecare Prolift mesh.
The verdict comes following a month-long trial and is one of several thousand vaginal mesh lawsuits pending throughout the country against Johnson & Johnson and manufacturers of other similar products that are used for transvaginal repair of pelvic organ prolapse and female stress urinary incontinence.
The complaint was filed by Linda Gross, who alleged that she suffered severe and debilitating injuries after receiving Ethicon’s Gynecare Prolift mesh in July 2006.
As a result of complications associated with the mesh, Gross required at least 18 surgeries and alleged that this could have been avoided if the manufacturer had adequately warned consumers and the medical community about the potential risk of the mesh eroding through the vagina and causing other health problems.
The jury awarded a total of $3.345 million in compensatory damages, including $1.385 million for past and future medical treatment,$680,000 for past and future lost wages,$1.1 million for pain and suffering, and $180,000 for her husband’s loss of consortium.
After reviewing the evidence presented and the ruling, Judge Carol Higbee, who is presiding over this case and hundreds of similar lawsuits pending in the New Jersey state court system, decided that the Gross’s lawyers will be permitted to ask the jury to award additional damages designed to punish Johnson & Johnson and their Ethicon unit. The jury could award up to $16.75 million in punitive damages under New Jersey law.
Vaginal Mesh Litigation Pending Nationwide
The case was the first Ethicon Gynecare mesh lawsuit to reach a jury in the United States, with Johnson & Johnson facing more than 3,000 claims in state and federal courts throughout the country by women who suffered similar injuries.
In New Jersey state court, Johnson & Johnson faces at least another 1,800 lawsuits that have been centralized before Judge Higbee for pretrial proceedings. In addition, another 2,000 complaints filed in U.S. District Courts throughout the country have been consolidated in the federal court system as part of an MDL, or multidistrict litigation, which is centralized before U.S. District Judge Joseph R. Goodwin in the SOuthern District of West Virginia.
Judge Goodwin is also presiding over the consolidated pre-trial proceedings in four other vaginal mesh MDLs, each involving similar transvaginal mesh products manufactured by different companies, including C.R. Bard, American Medical Systems (AMS), Boston Scientific and Coloplast Corp.
Well over 10,000 total lawsuits over vaginal mesh are currently pending throughout the U.S. court system. All of the complaints involve similar allegations that the transvaginal mesh implanted to provide support for the bladder or other pelvic organs caused women to suffer severe infections, erosion and other complications. Plaintiffs claim use of vaginal mesh for treatment of pelvic organ prolapse or female stress urinary incontinence is dangerous and that the products are defectively designed and manufactured.
What ever

Mcpherson, KS

#7374 Feb 26, 2013
The Gross lawsuit is the second product liability lawsuit over vaginal mesh products to reach a jury, with a California state court jury awarding $5.5 million in the first mesh trial in July 2012, involving problems with a Bard Avaulta Pelvic Mesh product.
In the federal court system, a series of “bellwether” trials are scheduled to begin in the coming months, with the first case involving the use of Bard Avaulta mesh. This will be followed by at least three trials expected to begin in December 2013, involving lawsuits over products manufactured by AMS, Ethicon and Boston Scientific.
The outcomes of these trials are designed to help the parties gauge how juries may respond to evidence and testimony that may be repeated throughout many different cases, and they may help facilitate eventual vaginal mesh settlement agreements in other cases.
Lana Keeton is not an advocate ! You need to be careful I got letters from people she has ripped off , contact her , find out what your lawyer does to you next. I won't & don't need this or collect your info, I just bring the news.
George

Payson, AZ

#7376 Feb 26, 2013
Chuck wrote:
AMU, or anyone else. Ok got some questions my wife went to her hernia surgeon, he told her that because she has had 4 abdominal surgeries, he felt around the abdominal area couldn't feel anything of a bugle, didn't count one out, yet leaned more toward scar tissue, adhesions, for the deep twisting feeling when turn wrong way, or from deep cough snezzing allergy asthma season. He things that she may have tore tissue muscle. Anyway he ordered a Cat Scan for tomorrow. To see what might be going on in her abdominal area. He stated that I could not for see having another surgery. He said that their was not any worth while tissue to tack or stitch anything to. So where do we go from here. He says he would refer her to UAB of Brimingham. She can not work in this condition so where do we go from here?
Very sorry about your wife's condition. From your description, yes could be adhesions and without some torsion on her soft organs or another hernia doubtful the CT Scan will reveal much as these filmy scar tissues rarely show up as they do not have blood vessels.
The abdominal cavity can only repair itself from only so many operations and may produce more adhesions. There seems to be surgeons in all areas of the country willing to remove the mesh - just remember you wife may not improve. Maybe try MAYO FL - they have reconstructive surgeon who may try the explant. Sadly many of us are damaged goods that medical science can not fix after the mesh is in and done it's damage, the best might be to arrest the downward sprial. Good luck and be strong - she needs you!
Chuck

Albertville, AL

#7377 Feb 26, 2013
This refers to post 7373 out come. These bastards need be locked up for life! because it's just what they did to all the women that was smoothed talked into having this surgery. I know back a year ago the Urological Associates that my wife was refered to for U I Bladder problems, was smoothed talked that she need to have this type surgery, using J&J bladder mesh ribbon mesh, that their wasn't anything else that would solve the problems. We turned his method down. We asked wwhy wouldn't meds like Vesicare be used? For this is what wife is on. She told him that she researched all about the problems about the bladder mesh and the deaths related to it. His mouth dropped when she slapped the file of where many women had been hurt by this type surgery. She told him he needed to read each story before telling the next women she needed this type surgery. He wrote out the prescription, we left hadn't been back to him. Yet today when she went to the hernia surgeon, he had to quick look thru her med records asked question why she didn't follow thru on the bladder surgery, he laughed when she told him, she wasn't stupid, she asked him if he knew that the mesh was being used without FDA Gov appoval? His face turned sour. All these small town doctors surgeon cover each others backs no matter what. Yet now here we are not knowing what tomorrows CAT- Scan might or might not show, We know that the titanium tacks will show, but we don't know what else will, whats sad is the surgeon said today that cause she had abdominal wall rebuild in 2010 rather another hernia or scar tissue adhesions their would be less chance of her having another surgery to correct problems. For their nothing their as far as health tissue.

“God Loves You!”

Since: Sep 08

Miami Beach, Florida

#7378 Feb 26, 2013
What ever wrote:
The Gross lawsuit is the second product liability lawsuit over vaginal mesh products to reach a jury, with a California state court jury awarding $5.5 million in the first mesh trial in July 2012, involving problems with a Bard Avaulta Pelvic Mesh product.
In the federal court system, a series of “bellwether” trials are scheduled to begin in the coming months, with the first case involving the use of Bard Avaulta mesh. This will be followed by at least three trials expected to begin in December 2013, involving lawsuits over products manufactured by AMS, Ethicon and Boston Scientific.
The outcomes of these trials are designed to help the parties gauge how juries may respond to evidence and testimony that may be repeated throughout many different cases, and they may help facilitate eventual vaginal mesh settlement agreements in other cases.
Lana Keeton is not an advocate ! You need to be careful I got letters from people she has ripped off , contact her , find out what your lawyer does to you next. I won't & don't need this or collect your info, I just bring the news.
Dear "Whatever"-"Me Again", I see you are at again. You are a liar! I am reporting you again to the Topix forum for your lies and abuse. They took your posts down before in 2012 and they will do it again. Don't know if you are a pharma guy or a patient, but the Topix forum has your IP address and know who you are and where you are.

You are invisible. I am not. I am a very successful patient advocate. I have never ripped anyone off. You on the other hand are just another internet sniper.
All Meshed Up

Grand Junction, CO

#7379 Feb 27, 2013
Chuck wrote:
This refers to post 7373 out come. These bastards need be locked up for life! because it's just what they did to all the women that was smoothed talked into having this surgery. I know back a year ago the Urological Associates that my wife was refered to for U I Bladder problems, was smoothed talked that she need to have this type surgery, using J&J bladder mesh ribbon mesh, that their wasn't anything else that would solve the problems. We turned his method down. We asked wwhy wouldn't meds like Vesicare be used? For this is what wife is on. She told him that she researched all about the problems about the bladder mesh and the deaths related to it. His mouth dropped when she slapped the file of where many women had been hurt by this type surgery. She told him he needed to read each story before telling the next women she needed this type surgery. He wrote out the prescription, we left hadn't been back to him. Yet today when she went to the hernia surgeon, he had to quick look thru her med records asked question why she didn't follow thru on the bladder surgery, he laughed when she told him, she wasn't stupid, she asked him if he knew that the mesh was being used without FDA Gov appoval? His face turned sour. All these small town doctors surgeon cover each others backs no matter what. Yet now here we are not knowing what tomorrows CAT- Scan might or might not show, We know that the titanium tacks will show, but we don't know what else will, whats sad is the surgeon said today that cause she had abdominal wall rebuild in 2010 rather another hernia or scar tissue adhesions their would be less chance of her having another surgery to correct problems. For their nothing their as far as health tissue.
When I was going through my initial problems about 8-9 months after the Prolene mesh install I started trying to find out what the heck was going on with me. The Dr.'s didn't know or if they did they would not tell me. I found this forum and talked to Bruce. Then I started looking and searching trying to find out more info about mesh and Prolene in particular. I compiled what I found and started talking to the Dr.'s about what I found. I got the same reaction you did ( and probably most of us ) from the Dr.'s. "Really", "I didn't know that", "where did you find that", "are you sure your having these symptoms?" and it went on and on. I realized how little the Dr.'s much less the surgeons klnew about the affects of mesh on the body. SCARY!.....
George

Payson, AZ

#7380 Feb 27, 2013
How many reading this have Teflon or PTFE in there belly right now? I do and it is heavy weight. Read it and weep all - maybe bring to your next docs visit or send to the FDA or better yet - read it to them over the phone since they seemingly are illiterate.

http://www2.dupont.com/FuelCells/en_US/assets...

“God Loves You!”

Miami Beach, Florida

#7381 Feb 27, 2013
All Meshed Up wrote:
<quoted text> When I was going through my initial problems about 8-9 months after the Prolene mesh install I started trying to find out what the heck was going on with me. The Dr.'s didn't know or if they did they would not tell me. I found this forum and talked to Bruce. Then I started looking and searching trying to find out more info about mesh and Prolene in particular. I compiled what I found and started talking to the Dr.'s about what I found. I got the same reaction you did ( and probably most of us ) from the Dr.'s. "Really", "I didn't know that", "where did you find that", "are you sure your having these symptoms?" and it went on and on. I realized how little the Dr.'s much less the surgeons klnew about the affects of mesh on the body. SCARY!.....
The doctors and the device companies DO NOT WANT TO KNOW. If they know, they are legally liable.

I testified both days of the FDA ObGyn Advisory Panel meeting in D.C. on September 8-9, 2011. Here is an excerpt from my testimony on September 8th.

“Respectfully -- and this is not -- okay -- the FDA's OB-GYN Advisory Panel, which is scheduled to make these recommendations here today on the use of synthetic surgical meshes, is unqualified for its intended purpose, without a chemical textile engineer, a microbiologist, a human tissue engineer, and other experts on synthetic polymers, such as polypropylene and polyethylene terephthalate used in synthetic surgical mesh. And in the manufacture of medical textiles, no valid conclusions will be drawn.

All synthetic meshes should be considered a drug under the FDA's premarket approval process. The chemical reaction of these drugs, in concert with the chemical makeup of synthetic mesh implanted in the body, is a biological disaster.”

Piet Hinoul, a French doctor and Medical Director at Ethicon, testified at the FDA Obgyn Meeting. He stated they have done no testing for autoimmune disease.

THEY DO NOT WANT TO KNOW. They fully intend to keep harming patients like you and I.
ALIEN BABY

Ocean View, NJ

#7382 Feb 27, 2013
Lana Keeton wrote:
<quoted text>
The doctors and the device companies DO NOT WANT TO KNOW. If they know, they are legally liable.
I testified both days of the FDA ObGyn Advisory Panel meeting in D.C. on September 8-9, 2011. Here is an excerpt from my testimony on September 8th.
“Respectfully -- and this is not -- okay -- the FDA's OB-GYN Advisory Panel, which is scheduled to make these recommendations here today on the use of synthetic surgical meshes, is unqualified for its intended purpose, without a chemical textile engineer, a microbiologist, a human tissue engineer, and other experts on synthetic polymers, such as polypropylene and polyethylene terephthalate used in synthetic surgical mesh. And in the manufacture of medical textiles, no valid conclusions will be drawn.
All synthetic meshes should be considered a drug under the FDA's premarket approval process. The chemical reaction of these drugs, in concert with the chemical makeup of synthetic mesh implanted in the body, is a biological disaster.”
Piet Hinoul, a French doctor and Medical Director at Ethicon, testified at the FDA Obgyn Meeting. He stated they have done no testing for autoimmune disease.
THEY DO NOT WANT TO KNOW. They fully intend to keep harming patients like you and I.
Hi, do you or ANYONE on here know of an attorney who is still taking on the hernia mesh? I saw todays posts and was so happy to see it was being ruled on in NJ one county over from where we are but then continued to read and saw it was the pelvic mesh, I called and its ONLY the pelvic mesh. GOD is blessing the unfortunate women who have been anle to find justice. The hernia mesh people, we are still in limbo and it just plain stinks. Pop gets worse every day and I hate it that I cannot help him!
Sonia_59

Australia

#7383 Feb 27, 2013
All Meshed Up wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks again! I found the same thing when trying to find Prolene mesh within Ethicon. Bruce gave me the real name,%, yep a % sign is how its labeled at Ethicon. http://www.ethicon360.com/sites/default/files... .... check the dates on these notices!
Hi sorry have not been able to email. Terrible problems with Telstra network. All M...My situatation has got worse. I have some sort of blood disorder or disease, and the umbilical hernia may be strangling my bowel. Could please ask Bruce whether this Biodesign Surgisis could cause blood disorder disease or blood infection? Kind regards Sonia
Sam

Houston, TX

#7384 Feb 27, 2013
Has anyone received information from their attorney about the Mandatory Settlement Conference that eas held in Nov.? I was told by a rep at the R.I. attorneys office that each clients individual lawyer was suppose to give us that information. My atty is constantly giving me run arounds .
George

Payson, AZ

#7385 Feb 27, 2013
Sonia_59 wrote:
<quoted text>Hi sorry have not been able to email. Terrible problems with Telstra network. All M...My situatation has got worse. I have some sort of blood disorder or disease, and the umbilical hernia may be strangling my bowel. Could please ask Bruce whether this Biodesign Surgisis could cause blood disorder disease or blood infection? Kind regards Sonia
Sonia - yes biologic crafts can create infection- 2006 report had Surgisis at about 20% infection rate.

Go to Post#7321, click the PDF and read about it.

BE STRONG Sonia - Sending healing thoughts G
more

Fremont, CA

#7386 Feb 27, 2013
I am very

“God Loves You!”

Miami Beach, Florida

#7387 Feb 27, 2013
ALIEN BABY wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi, do you or ANYONE on here know of an attorney who is still taking on the hernia mesh? I saw todays posts and was so happy to see it was being ruled on in NJ one county over from where we are but then continued to read and saw it was the pelvic mesh, I called and its ONLY the pelvic mesh. GOD is blessing the unfortunate women who have been anle to find justice. The hernia mesh people, we are still in limbo and it just plain stinks. Pop gets worse every day and I hate it that I cannot help him!
Has his mesh been removed? Do anything you can to get it out. As long as the mesh is in, it continues to harm by moving, shrinking, hardening and leaching chemicals causing a cascade of other diseases.
Truth is about the case in NJ, the attorneys proved nothing about the inherent defects that are in all synthetic surgical meshes. The only testimony I read about the defects in the mesh were the pore size and the placement of it in the pelvis and the distortion of the pores in the pelvis.
Linda Gross won her case on failure to warn the doctor and fraudulent misrepresentation in the patient brochures.
Each new case will again have to prove the same thing over. The reasons she won will not automatically translate to other women. It will help but it is not automatic.
The sad thing most are not aware of is the same attorney team in Rhode Island is behind the Mazie Katz firm in New Jersey. Do not have great expectations for the rest of the cases.
Those attorneys in Rhode Island operate under the assumptiom hernia mesh is the gold standard. How many cases are you going to win if you believe the marketing of the mesh companies?
I will not be surprised to find many of the women in the Ethicon MDL have the same fate as those in the Kugel Mesh Hernia patch case, very low settlement payouts.
Ethicon and J&J will string this out forever. Ethicon will likely appeal the verdict hoping for a better verdict for them in the next bellwether case.
Mesh injured patients are pawns in the system. Everyone makes money off of us...the device companies, the doctors, the hospitals, the attorneys, the court system, the insurance companies. Everyone involved in this, except the patients, has a day job and makes money off of us. Quite disgusting in my opinion.
Good luck with your Pop. Best, blessings, Lana Keeton
p.s. the only way to get attorneys involved in hernia mesh lawsuits is if the FDA issues a warning on hernia mesh like it did for transvaginal mesh in July 2011. That is when all the attorneys jumped on the bandwagon, not before.
The only way for the warnings to happen for hernia mesh is hundreds and hundreds of adverse events filed on the MAUDE database by you and everyone else here on Topix.
The system stinks but you have to work within it to get what you want. Go for it!

“God Loves You!”

Miami Beach, Florida

#7388 Feb 27, 2013
Sonia_59 wrote:
<quoted text>Hi sorry have not been able to email. Terrible problems with Telstra network. All M...My situatation has got worse. I have some sort of blood disorder or disease, and the umbilical hernia may be strangling my bowel. Could please ask Bruce whether this Biodesign Surgisis could cause blood disorder disease or blood infection? Kind regards Sonia
Hi Sonia, All mesh can cause all kinds of complications. Blood disease is really dangerous. Please find medical attention right away. The Biodesign is made to incorporate into your tissue and basically dissolve, leaving your tissue strengthened. Also, there are very few adverse events for Biodesign, not to say you don't have one. But the infection could have started during the original surgery and it is extremely difficult to treat. Go see a doctor as soon as possible. All the best, blessings, Lana
tommie

El Dorado, AR

#7389 Feb 27, 2013
Chip wrote:
I had surgery for Crohns disease in 1992, took out part of my bowel. The incision became infected and I had to do wet to dry dressings letting it heal from the inside out. This happened while I was in the service. In 2005 I ended up with 2 hernias along the midline scar. I went in for surgery and a Bard Composix mesh patch was put in. I had quite a bit of discomfort, my DR worked with me and we got the pain under control. 6 months later I developed another hernia at the area where the patch would have ended. My DR put another patch in to cover that one. Now remember I suffer from Crohn's disease and stomach pain, fever, and most of the other symptoms most of you all have experienced. While reading the local paper I seen an ad for an attorney about hernia mesh being recalled. After getting copies of my surgical reports, I had the patch that was recalled. My Surgeon did not hesitate, about fixing it. After several discussions we decided to remove the memory ring that was the failure in the recall.
Surgery went well, I was told that the ring had not broke and he was able to remove it. I was also told that part of the mesh had rolled up and he had to disect it from the muscle. The pain in my side is now gone and I am doing well. My doctor also told me that since I have had so many surgerys that I would probably develop another hernia. I really trust my DR. He never tried to sugar coat anything and was upfront about every surgery he has done on me in the past 3 years. I hope you all can find a DR like mine. I know it is hard to find one that is not worried about being sued and worries about his/her patient. I have filed the paper work to go after bard and their defective patches. The law firm tells me that my case is strong. This is my hernia experience and I hope it might help someone to read something kinda positive.
What is your doctor name?
Chuck

Warrior, AL

#7390 Feb 28, 2013
George wrote:
How many reading this have Teflon or PTFE in there belly right now? I do and it is heavy weight. Read it and weep all - maybe bring to your next docs visit or send to the FDA or better yet - read it to them over the phone since they seemingly are illiterate.
http://www2.dupont.com/FuelCells/en_US/assets...
This is like the Blind leading the Blind or Dumb and Dumber. I also found this site or one like it back in 2003. Reason why was for back then on wife first hernia repair was suppose to been repaired back then with the Gore Tex mesh, we researched it back then worried about the teflon back then, for the Fed Gov, EPA was in force to do away with teflon cookware, some of the first frying pans. For the coating chipped or pealed off, if I remembered of the research we found back then, their was also something to do with how long heat reacted with teflon heat chem of teflon break down, but what bothered me was EPA not allowing Teflon in paint.Auto. Cancer found in the blood cells in the brain of children. It now reminds me of the chem leakage in plastic, here something last night news telling people, not to drink our county,or city water for all the chems that are in it to make it fit to drink. Now are the leading cause of abdominal problems,For now these chems effect the break down of the abdominal, immune system, will dah.. Last summer news was all about kids and swimmming pool time, for the chems in pools.
Chuck

Warrior, AL

#7391 Feb 28, 2013
Ok wow, our news this morning running the item about whats in our drinking water, is it fit to be drinking? You want see for self check with our loc tv channel WHNT19News.com out of Huntsville Alabama. Chems in US drinking water. So that the customers can now go out and buy water filter systems to clean the chems out of water but yet put other chems in system ,from the water filter system like charcoal paper of filters, rock salt to soften water, etc... bladder cancer, birth deffects,

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Benbrook Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Irish traveller's (Nov '08) 1 hr Ripanitafox 1,391
Third Bandido arrested in motorcycle bar shooting 2 hr Loud n proud 14
Judge rules in favor of Arlington red-light cam... 2 hr Truth 3
Buck's Cabaret on Mecham Blvd (Oct '10) 14 hr Big D 71
Ikera s group wins Episcopal Church property ru... 22 hr George 2
Woman Says Company Illegally Towed Vehicle (Jul '08) Wed AntiExcalibur 111
Hernia Mesh Recall... (May '07) Wed Deborah smith 63
Benbrook Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web