Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns ...

Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns of Death and Serious Healt...

There are 8223 comments on the PRWeb story from Feb 4, 2007, titled Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns of Death and Serious Healt.... In it, PRWeb reports that:

Patients should review the latest recall information to see if they have been implanted with the recalled device and seek medical attention if symptoms such as unexplained or persistent abdominal pain, fever, ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at PRWeb.

shayne

Smyrna, TN

#7350 Feb 24, 2013
Brokenbastard wrote:
Im going in for double hernia surgey shoulld i even go in??
NO!!!!
Sonia_59

Australia

#7351 Feb 24, 2013
jason wrote:
<quoted text> My wife had a desmoid tumor removed in 2006 that intertwined in her stomach muscles. She had a large piece of goretex mesh implanted. It replaced most of her removed muscles. She was told she could still bare children. It was not planned but she got pregnant and the mesh tore away. A few months after her c section the mesh became infected and a the mesh failed to hold. She had a Hernia and the infection swelled up to a head on her stomach. It was large and oozed out. She had one surgery to remove the infection and a small piece of the mesh. That surgery failed to ward off the infection. A second surgery was needed to remove the entire piece of mesh. She had an incision about 15 inches. They even had to remove her naval from the size of the cut. She has been left disfigured from the surgeries and in constant pain and bowel trouble. She cant do a whole lot anymore. They put a piece of pigskin in place of the mesh. She doesn't think its over yet.
Hi you think you got the worst, unti you read your blog, I am so sorry for your wife. Please let me know how she goes with the pig skin. Kind regards Sonia
Lin

Sylacauga, AL

#7353 Feb 25, 2013
AMU could you post me your email, I found the letter you asked for I saved in favorites, yet cann't find in surfing web so if I email then maybe you could post. Thanks
Lin

Sylacauga, AL

#7354 Feb 25, 2013
Lin wrote:
AMU could you post me your email, I found the letter you asked for I saved in favorites, yet cann't find in surfing web so if I email then maybe you could post. Thanks
AMU request from post 7322.
All Meshed Up

Grand Junction, CO

#7355 Feb 25, 2013
Hey there Lin, check out Post#7347
patty

Eugene, OR

#7356 Feb 25, 2013
shayne wrote:
<quoted text>
NO!!!!
wait a second there, unless you are a doctor or know if the hernias are in any way life threatening( incarcerated or strangulated) dont be giving advice as to weather or not someone should have repairs. We are not doctors. We try to help folks by giving tips about how to get medical records, how to file adverse event reports, and support them emotionally. The person could be having surgery without mesh. I didnt see where the person mentioned anything else. Please be careful. This forum is important. Lets not help get it shut down for giving bad medical advice. Please and thank you.
Lin

Anniston, AL

#7357 Feb 25, 2013
All Meshed Up wrote:
Hey there Lin, check out Post#7347
Ok thanks, check ur emails
finding answers

Opelika, AL

#7358 Feb 25, 2013
I have an ethecon patch implanted for a double hernia.operation in september and i have had similiar symptoms that at first limited me to working part time and since december i have not been able to work since because the pain keeps getting worse.. i have this bookmarked so please all others with ethecon mesh speak up so we can get an official recall and so the doctor will stop looking at us like its in our heads... if anyone knows of a lawyer or doctor who is involved in these cases and can help get me better and back to work i would really appreciate it and yes i am willing to travel to finally function like a 23 year old.
All Meshed Up

Grand Junction, CO

#7359 Feb 25, 2013
http://www.doh.gov.ph/sites/default/files/dc2...
This site has info on the Ethicon Proceed mesh that was volutarily recalled in 2010. Thanks Lin.....
All Meshed Up

Grand Junction, CO

#7360 Feb 25, 2013
finding answers wrote:
I have an ethecon patch implanted for a double hernia.operation in september and i have had similiar symptoms that at first limited me to working part time and since december i have not been able to work since because the pain keeps getting worse.. i have this bookmarked so please all others with ethecon mesh speak up so we can get an official recall and so the doctor will stop looking at us like its in our heads... if anyone knows of a lawyer or doctor who is involved in these cases and can help get me better and back to work i would really appreciate it and yes i am willing to travel to finally function like a 23 year old.
Dr Bruce Ramshaw in Florida and Dr. Peterson in Las Vegas are 2 right off the bat. You can google them or Hernia Mesh Removal Dr.'s and get more. Best of Luck......
All Meshed Up

Grand Junction, CO

#7361 Feb 25, 2013
Lin! Send me the Ethicon 360 link. I removed it by mistake! Thanks.....
Lin

Warrior, AL

#7362 Feb 25, 2013
All Meshed Up wrote:
Lin! Send me the Ethicon 360 link. I removed it by mistake! Thanks.....
Ok will do. just check to see if you got mail.
Lin

Warrior, AL

#7363 Feb 25, 2013
Lin wrote:
<quoted text> Ok will do. just check to see if you got mail.
AMU Resent plus some others. I find if one changes a few words in search of hernia recalls you can find different sites, I did this between useing Google Chrome and AOL
All Meshed Up

Grand Junction, CO

#7364 Feb 25, 2013
Lin wrote:
<quoted text> AMU Resent plus some others. I find if one changes a few words in search of hernia recalls you can find different sites, I did this between useing Google Chrome and AOL
Thanks again! I found the same thing when trying to find Prolene mesh within Ethicon. Bruce gave me the real name,%, yep a % sign is how its labeled at Ethicon. http://www.ethicon360.com/sites/default/files... .... check the dates on these notices!
ramshawed2000

United States

#7365 Feb 25, 2013
All Meshed Up wrote:
<quoted text> Dr Bruce Ramshaw in Florida and Dr. Peterson in Las Vegas are 2 right off the bat. You can google them or Hernia Mesh Removal Dr.'s and get more. Best of Luck......
I'm glad to see that he is listed as one of the "best" Dr.'s listed to remove these mesh. In Atlanta in 200 he was one of the "best" that implanted the gortex mesh that perforated my small bowel and bladder. After a 12 hour disection and removal of 4ft of bowel, 3/4 of my bladder and the whole mesh removed, I'm left with Peripheral Neuropathy and a crap load of meds for pain. I'm Greatful for life!!! It's just very interesting that Dr Bruce Ramshaw now makes a living removing meshes that he once made hid living implanting..
wes opitz

Spearfish, SD

#7366 Feb 25, 2013
I had the mesh put in 1-28-2011 and had lost 46 lbs from 1-2011-1-2013 and have had other health issues along with the weight loss. Who would I get in contact with? It happened at work in north Dakota but im living. In south dakota.

“God Loves You!”

Since: Sep 08

Miami Beach, Florida

#7367 Feb 25, 2013
michelle wrote:
Hi. I had an inguinal hernia repair with Ultrapro mesh patch 1 year ago and have been in a lot of pain from it contracting into a hardned ball. While it is still problematic (keeping me from any physical activity) and I am considerig surgery at North Penn, I have had some success with myofasicial release at a chiropractors office. Dr. Goodyear suggested it and it is helping to loosen adhesions and reduce pain.
Has anyone had problems like mine with Ultrapro? Is there legal recourse?
Hello Michelle,

Think about it this way. If you had a splinter in your finger, what would you do? Would you have myofascial release or trigger point therapy or pain management? Normally, no. You would get the splinter out of your finger and allow it to heal. If you had pain or infection after, you would then get antibiotics or pain meds.

The hernia mesh will remain hardened and continue to cause you harm and create other complications as your body continues to try to reject it or encapsulate it. Try to find a REALLY EXPERIENCED mesh removal surgeon who will remove the mesh AND THEN REPAIR THE HERNIA WITHOUT MORE SYNTHETIC MESH.

And it is my understanding ULTRAPRO, because it is a lighter weight mesh, may break up in pieces inside the body. So removing it ASAP is your best option in my opinion.

I am not a medical professional. I am a patient advocate. I know this from my own personal experience with mesh implanted in me, from researching polymers and the yahoo health group, Medical Mesh, which I owned and moderated for over 4 years and had 8,000 posts.

Legal recourse is a relative term when it comes to mesh as most on this blog have had a negative experience with the court system. Myself included.

Wishing you all the best as you find good medical treatment.
Best, blessings, Lana
All Meshed Up

Grand Junction, CO

#7368 Feb 26, 2013
ramshawed2000 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm glad to see that he is listed as one of the "best" Dr.'s listed to remove these mesh. In Atlanta in 200 he was one of the "best" that implanted the gortex mesh that perforated my small bowel and bladder. After a 12 hour disection and removal of 4ft of bowel, 3/4 of my bladder and the whole mesh removed, I'm left with Peripheral Neuropathy and a crap load of meds for pain. I'm Greatful for life!!! It's just very interesting that Dr Bruce Ramshaw now makes a living removing meshes that he once made hid living implanting..
Dr. Ramshaw is listed as "one of the best" because of his long term use of and research in the use of mesh. He is still a proponent of mesh mainly because he gets grants from the Medical Manufacturing community that keeps his loyalties "where they belong". He has "changed his tune" over the past couple of years and is now saying that not all situations are right for the use of mesh. That being said, the removal of mesh is a dangerous procedure that can leave you in worse condition than when you had the mesh. There are those on this forum that know EXACTLY what I am saying. The mesh insinuates it's self into what ever it has been implanted near and then there is the distict possibility of the mesh breaking and migrateing. Dr. Ramshaw, just like other surgeons do not have control over what mesh does once it is inside the human body. He does however have control over what he tells people about the complications of mesh BEFORE install and when it is necessary to remove it. That is the real problem with Mesh Removal. You don't know what you got till you open the package and SURPRISE!! But if you are going to get your mesh removed whether an elective or an emergency does it not make sense to have the most experienced Dr. available to do that procedure? Best Wishes......
All Meshed Up

Grand Junction, CO

#7369 Feb 26, 2013
wes opitz wrote:
I had the mesh put in 1-28-2011 and had lost 46 lbs from 1-2011-1-2013 and have had other health issues along with the weight loss. Who would I get in contact with? It happened at work in north Dakota but im living. In south dakota.
Hello Wes....A couple questions....Did you have a lawyer represent you with your Workmens Comp case? If so contact him NOW. Next....Do you have your OP report from the hospital where the mesh was implanted? If not get it NOW. You are now 2 years out from your surgery but how far out are you from when they deemed you MMI? This could have consequences for your Statute of Limitations. So get your OP report ASAP. Find out from the report what mesh you were implanted with. In the mean time contact your lawyer if you had one. He actually may have your OP report but still get your own. Let us know what kind of mesh you have and we can try to put you on the right path. It ain't gonna be fun my friend as you can find out by reading through the previous pages of posts. I would suggest that you do read through this forum, at least a bit, so asd to get an idea of what you are up against. You are NOT ALONE. There are people on this forum that have the same mesh as you and have gone through EXACTLY what you are going through. I was injured on the job with a simple Right Inguinal Hernia. It was repaired with a Prolene Mesh made by J&J Ethicon. Within a year I had lost 40+ pounds and was so sick that death was a real option. The mesh was removed along with my right testicle and a KUGEL patch was put in its place and that started a whole other set of symptoms. I have been dealing with mesh now for 6 1/2 years. It is a permanent condition my friend. Yes, you may be able to get a law suit going but that trully is a long shot. Read the previous pages and you will get that story. OK! Get your "stuff" together and let us know what you find. We will be here.......Best of Luck.....
George

Payson, AZ

#7370 Feb 26, 2013
Just a thought about health vs money.
Maybe because of the Linda Gross settlement (+$3.5 million) and a couple other high profile mesh court cases but I see more posted about legal concepts and not health. Sure, reading Johnson and Johnson stock taking a hit from Linda's verdict primarily in her favor is heart warming, however, she still is in very poor health. Remember the last large number of case settlements for Kugel mesh averaged $70k before the lawyer fees. My point is money will not get us healthy, maybe we need to change the direction from just victim payment to life time of health care to figure how to heal from these botched medical devices. Sadly, I doubt Linda will live surgery for the next few decades. Also a strong re-eduction of surgeons that any mesh has 20% complication rate and that number goes up over time. I think that a lot of health problems in mesh victims are not linked to the mesh with time from implant, so go unreported. Remember that people getting implants, as we speak (right this second,) from surgeons who state that the complication rate is acceptable have no clue of their future problems. Just some thoughts as this J&J verdict will prompt more settlements with other mesh companies. G

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Benbrook Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Paschal High School Girls of the 80's 14 hr Fred West 8
gangs of fort worth Tx (Sep '10) 14 hr POLYWOOD LOKKO 32
Review: Al's Import Auto Recycling 20 hr MCbeonca 1
Review: Delta Towing Mon Hahaj 1
Fort Worth Ink & Art Expo Sun wonderland1201 1
News Three are convicted in bank-robbery scheme (Feb '07) Sat Kevin Smith 10
News Twice Victims Of Mortgage Fraud, Family Faces E... (Jul '08) Sat he knows 24
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Benbrook Mortgages