Family angry after Minnesota boy hurt...

Family angry after Minnesota boy hurt by school mower

There are 31 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Sep 12, 2010, titled Family angry after Minnesota boy hurt by school mower. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A 5-year-boy in Bemidji was scratched and bruised when he was run over by a lawnmower during recess, and his parents aren't happy with the elementary school's reaction.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jun 10

Minneapolis, MN

#29 Sep 13, 2010
Bird wrote:
<quoted text>
By all means have overtime because some kid is so dopey and can't stay away from a lawn mower.
Are you stupid??? I was pointing out that they already work those hours! Duh - that is why they clean the buildings at night to not disturb the things going on during the day. I know someone that is a school janitor - they work all night long cleaning building - and no they do not get overtime. And by the way it was a little 5 year old boy - first week of school - you must not have any children!

Since: Jun 10

Minneapolis, MN

#30 Sep 13, 2010
Bird wrote:
<quoted text>
I have issues with dumb kids and dopey parents. There's a real plethora of you out there. The kid was a dolt to be near the lawn mower, it's something our parents taught us when we were little. Don't bug dad when he mowing. This kid is a slow learner or ill diciplined. Keep making excuses. Hey and don't forget to vote yes on all and any school levies too.
He was 5 years old!!!!!! What is wrong with you?!?!
bemidjimom

Northome, MN

#31 Sep 13, 2010
Served wrote:
<quoted text>
A lot of kids are less mechanically inclined now days. I think the story was
pumped up on a slow news day....."he was dragged by the rear wheels while he screamed".
He got a couple boo-boo's......he'll get over it but the parents are seeing $$.
LOL..as i see the adults now a days are even more ignorant,I know the family personaly,so keep thinking...who mows the lawn during play time with 75 children outside and 3-4 staff...does it really matter the reason aden went to the lawn mower...do you think maybe a 5yr old has never seen a lawn mower like that?maybe thought it was someone he knew?hes a boy,curious!dah...you are very ignorant people to blame a 5yr old and to call a child stupid and less mechanically inclined!

Since: Aug 10

Here

#32 Sep 13, 2010
Bird wrote:
<quoted text>
I have issues with dumb kids and dopey parents. There's a real plethora of you out there. The kid was a dolt to be near the lawn mower, it's something our parents taught us when we were little. Don't bug dad when he mowing. This kid is a slow learner or ill diciplined. Keep making excuses. Hey and don't forget to vote yes on all and any school levies too.
A 5 year old is a dolt and the ADULT on the mower was just doing his job... speaking of a slow learner, gotta mirror?

Mower Safety Rules... they come with every mower.

Rule #4. Be sure the area is clear of other people. Stop the machine if anyone enters the area.
citylights

Delano, MN

#33 Sep 13, 2010
happens all the time wrote:
heck, when I was a kid I was routinely run over by lawn mowers and snow blowers. Didn't hurt me. This sort of thing happens more than we know. Why just the other day I got my head stuck in the toaster, and last week my johnson got caught in the vegetable crisper in the 'fridge.
I wish I were the only one to suffer these terrible results like this kid.
Thanks for the laugh. I needed it! Love Old Broad
citylights

Delano, MN

#34 Sep 13, 2010
I could see this happening. Kids move so fast, mowers are so loud you can't hear yourself think and we don't eyes in the back of our heads either. Almost sounds like he tried to jump onto the mower. Poor kid.

Since: Apr 08

Twin Cities

#35 Sep 13, 2010
citylights wrote:
I could see this happening. Kids move so fast, mowers are so loud you can't hear yourself think and we don't eyes in the back of our heads either. Almost sounds like he tried to jump onto the mower. Poor kid.
I have pictured in my mind a zero-turning radius mower that can swing and turn on a dime. I can imagine a small child getting close behind to see what it's all about and then getting caught in the turn by the back wheels. Nothing in any article tells what kind of mower it is, but I picture any other kind of tractor catching him in the back wheels and spitting him back out without coming into contact with the blades. This is purely a guess, of course.

Since: Apr 08

Twin Cities

#36 Sep 13, 2010
*can't* picture

Since: Sep 08

Saint Paul, MN

#37 Sep 13, 2010
when i was in grade school, the custodian would be mowing and doing whatever needed to be done, we were taught to stay clear
Legal eagle

Northome, MN

#38 Oct 9, 2010
Bird wrote:
<quoted text>
What's really great about people suing the government, school districts etc is that in the end tax payers get stuck.
No, the taxpayer doesn't get stuck. This will be a matter between the victim and the school district's liability insurance. Think before you hit those keys. And please don't say "I did."
Kindergarten teacher

Northome, MN

#39 Oct 9, 2010
oxboro wrote:
when i was in grade school, the custodian would be mowing and doing whatever needed to be done, we were taught to stay clear
Ox, I remember you. I was your kindergarten teacher and I still teach Kindergarten. This happened on the third day of school. Kindergarten kids are like a pack of wild dogs. They are excited, lack attention spans, and many are being socialized with a large group for the first time. They've generally only experienced discipline and had limits set by their parents and don't always respond to limits set by other adults. Remember, our paranoid society has taught them that all strangers are naughty.

But back to memory lane. Ox, you always did have the hard head. But the rest of the staff sure had a lot of good, clean laughs because of the bone-headed things you did. And not just up through the 3rd day of school. I remember the last week of school, you sneaked into the coat room with a tub of paste and started eating. By the time you were found, you had eaten over 1/2 pound of the stuff. I saw your parents a month later in the grocery store and they told me you were constipated for a week and had to go to the doc for an enema. Mom said you laid a line of pipe from the doc's office to Timbuk 2!

Then there was that time that you brought a screwdriver to school without anybody being able to see it. At recess, you and one of the other little tikes hammered the plastic casing off the driver with a rock and brought it back in. As kids were settling in for story time around the "big chair" I heard an all to familiar voice say, "Hey, watch this!" and before I could go "OH SH#T." you jammed that metal driver into the hold heat register. It locked the blower up, bent the driver hard and fast, trapping your finger against the grill of the blower and the driver. It took 8 stitches if I remember. Bet you still have the scar.

So OX, remember when you were a kid. Frankly, we're all surprised you're alive, all the dumb crap you pulled. Love ya, Sweetie!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bemidji Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Press Release Jun 7 Joanne Bergman 2
tract 33,, the good ole days (Feb '07) Apr '16 hey 34
Debate: Nuclear Power - Cass Lake, MN (Mar '11) Mar '16 New guy 5
looking for a man. Help appreciated Mar '16 rjheller 1
Bemidji Music Thread (Oct '13) Feb '16 Musikologist 11
Bimidji Airport Jan '16 Bimidji TSAJew 5
Rude inconsiderate people of Minnesota (Nov '15) Nov '15 Tex 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bemidji Mortgages