Family angry after Minnesota boy hurt...

Family angry after Minnesota boy hurt by school mower

There are 31 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Sep 12, 2010, titled Family angry after Minnesota boy hurt by school mower. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A 5-year-boy in Bemidji was scratched and bruised when he was run over by a lawnmower during recess, and his parents aren't happy with the elementary school's reaction.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
marrrrr

Cold Spring, MN

#2 Sep 12, 2010
This is terrible,why is the lawn even being mowed while children are out for recess? This school owes his parents a huge explanation.This little boy could have easily been caught up into the blades.Where are the school yard monitors? What was the lawn mowing person doing that they didnt see this child? Step up to the plate J.W. Smith Elementary School and take responsibility,this is very much so YOUR problem!!
wow

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Sep 12, 2010
marrrrr wrote:
This is terrible,why is the lawn even being mowed while children are out for recess? This school owes his parents a huge explanation.This little boy could have easily been caught up into the blades.Where are the school yard monitors? What was the lawn mowing person doing that they didnt see this child? Step up to the plate J.W. Smith Elementary School and take responsibility,this is very much so YOUR problem!!
I'd be willing to bet there is more to the story. That being said, they probably shouldnt have been mowing with the kids around. Kids are a little dumber than they used to be. When I was a child, I stayed far far away from the lawn mower when it was in use. Unless your thinking that the guy using the mower did it on purpose.

Since: Mar 10

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Sep 12, 2010
wow wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd be willing to bet there is more to the story. That being said, they probably shouldnt have been mowing with the kids around. Kids are a little dumber than they used to be. When I was a child, I stayed far far away from the lawn mower when it was in use. Unless your thinking that the guy using the mower did it on purpose.
A lot of kids are less mechanically inclined now days. I think the story was
pumped up on a slow news day....."he was dragged by the rear wheels while he screamed".
He got a couple boo-boo's......he'll get over it but the parents are seeing $$.
Baldomero Ignacio Ruiz

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Sep 12, 2010
the government unions are full of thugs and scammers. And you know what?-- these are Obama's favorite people.
Sharon Allen

Bellingham, WA

#8 Sep 12, 2010
Oh yeah, thats right this is Obamas fault too??
happens all the time

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Sep 12, 2010
heck, when I was a kid I was routinely run over by lawn mowers and snow blowers. Didn't hurt me. This sort of thing happens more than we know. Why just the other day I got my head stuck in the toaster, and last week my johnson got caught in the vegetable crisper in the 'fridge.

I wish I were the only one to suffer these terrible results like this kid.
SeaShark

Eden Prairie, MN

#11 Sep 13, 2010
The school district's attorneys and liability insurance claims agents have probably instructed the school board, superintendent, and all other district employees including the school principal to refrain from voluntarily sharing any specific information about the incident with the boy's parents. The superintendent will probably say that he can't comment while the investigation continues, and conclude his brief remarks with the usual "The safety of students and staff is our highest priority" and then defer any additonal comments to the district's lawyers.

The boy's parents must, if they haven't already, retain the legal services of an experienced, expert personal injury lawyer to represent the interests of their child and themselves.

School district officials have been stung by the mother's criticism immediately after the accident that her son's teacher was the only district staff member---in a meeting that reportedly included the district super, school principal and school nurse---who understood the seriousness of the situation and expressed any genuine concern for the boy's medical condition.

District officials have a public duty to disclose their own investigative report, cooperate with state agency investigations and inquiries from the boy's medical providers, and not withhold any accident information from the parents.
what the

United States

#13 Sep 13, 2010
Served wrote:
<quoted text>
pumped up on a slow news day....."he was dragged by the rear wheels while he screamed".
I bet if it was your kid, you wouldn`t be saying that.
Strunk and White

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Sep 13, 2010
dumb mexican wrote:
<quoted text>
no! its the criminals illegal mexicans fault for running over this little boy, darn! your dense.
ah, well. In the arena of "density", you come in a solid stadium-full of density---ness!

I'll skip the lack of capitalizing the "M" in "Mexican", but not using the proper spelling for the contraction "you are" = "YOU'RE" is unforgiveable!

Please try to learn English better. You are so far, an embarassment to Anglophones

Since: Sep 08

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Sep 13, 2010
how much do you want to bet the kid was goofing around?

Since: Jun 10

Minneapolis, MN

#17 Sep 13, 2010
Why the heck are they mowing during recess??????? Most grounds/keepers and custodian workers work evenings also. Why wouldn't they mow while there are no children present? I would be very upset as a parent too!!
Bird

Minneapolis, MN

#18 Sep 13, 2010
SeaShark wrote:
The school district's attorneys and liability insurance claims agents have probably instructed the school board, superintendent, and all other district employees including the school principal to refrain from voluntarily sharing any specific information about the incident with the boy's parents. The superintendent will probably say that he can't comment while the investigation continues, and conclude his brief remarks with the usual "The safety of students and staff is our highest priority" and then defer any additonal comments to the district's lawyers.
The boy's parents must, if they haven't already, retain the legal services of an experienced, expert personal injury lawyer to represent the interests of their child and themselves.
School district officials have been stung by the mother's criticism immediately after the accident that her son's teacher was the only district staff member---in a meeting that reportedly included the district super, school principal and school nurse---who understood the seriousness of the situation and expressed any genuine concern for the boy's medical condition.

District officials have a public duty to disclose their own investigative report, cooperate with state agency investigations and inquiries from the boy's medical providers, and not withhold any accident information from the parents.
What's really great about people suing the government, school districts etc is that in the end tax payers get stuck.
Bird

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Sep 13, 2010
Nicki D wrote:
Why the heck are they mowing during recess??????? Most grounds/keepers and custodian workers work evenings also. Why wouldn't they mow while there are no children present? I would be very upset as a parent too!!
By all means have overtime because some kid is so dopey and can't stay away from a lawn mower.
Aaron

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Sep 13, 2010
oxboro wrote:
how much do you want to bet the kid was goofing around?
A 5 yr old boy goofing around at recess? Couldn't be! Of course he was, that's what they're supposed to be doing.

It was the responsibility of the adults to supervise the children and there should not have been anyone mowing the grass while the kids were near.
Madamutt

Minneapolis, MN

#21 Sep 13, 2010
as a child, I was dragged by a mower until I spelled my name correctly.

Since: Aug 10

Here

#22 Sep 13, 2010
Served wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah it was nothing... so to prove it why not have one back over you and drag you for a bit. Actually it was a law suit waiting to happen in more ways than one. Those kids could be 50 feet away and the blades can shoot a projectile (small stone etc..) out of the discharge chute like a bullet shot out of a rifle with enough force to take out eye's or maybe even kill someone hit in the temple. There's no logical reason to be operating a mower around the kids.. anytime.

Since: Apr 08

Twin Cities

#23 Sep 13, 2010
Aint My America wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah it was nothing... so to prove it why not have one back over you and drag you for a bit. Actually it was a law suit waiting to happen in more ways than one. Those kids could be 50 feet away and the blades can shoot a projectile (small stone etc..) out of the discharge chute like a bullet shot out of a rifle with enough force to take out eye's or maybe even kill someone hit in the temple. There's no logical reason to be operating a mower around the kids.. anytime.
I'm thinking also that this happened on the second day of school. Was there no time three days earlier to mow the playground before it was full of children? If not, didn't anyone think to shut down the mower while the littlest kids were in recess? Honest to goodness, I don't care how wily the little guy might have been or if he had been goofing around, any one of the FIVE adults present (including the groundskeeper) should have had the presence of mind to stop the mowing for the kindergarten recess. It's not like Aden fell off a piece of playground equipment; he was hurt by a very dangerous piece of machinery that should NOT have been in operation in the area of small children. Clearly, a mistake in judgment was made and a simple policy or schedule change in the groundskeeping department should happen. I don't believe in suing when there is no permanent injury, but I do believe in using this opportunity to make sure it doesn't happen again. I hope that's what Aden's mother ultimately decides to do.
SAVE THE KIDS

Saint Paul, MN

#24 Sep 13, 2010
Bird wrote:
<quoted text>
By all means have overtime because some kid is so dopey and can't stay away from a lawn mower.
It doesn't have to be an overtime situation. The hours for the grounds keeper could be during NON-SCHOOL hours. 5 yr olds don't have the reasoning skills to always keep themselves safe. They are just little kids, after all. That's what the adults are supposed to be making decisions for. Like NOT mowing the lawn when the kids are outside for recess. Calling the 5 yr old "dopey" for getting hurt is pretty juvenile. But then most of your posts are.
Gardyfan

Minneapolis, MN

#25 Sep 13, 2010
sounds like another reason to home school.
Bird

Minneapolis, MN

#28 Sep 13, 2010
SAVE THE KIDS wrote:
<quoted text>
Wasn't your Mother a breeder too? Or were you just hatched? You obviously have issues with having kids. Maybe it's time to get some help.
I have issues with dumb kids and dopey parents. There's a real plethora of you out there. The kid was a dolt to be near the lawn mower, it's something our parents taught us when we were little. Don't bug dad when he mowing. This kid is a slow learner or ill diciplined. Keep making excuses. Hey and don't forget to vote yes on all and any school levies too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bemidji Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Press Release Jun 7 Joanne Bergman 2
tract 33,, the good ole days (Feb '07) Apr '16 hey 34
Debate: Nuclear Power - Cass Lake, MN (Mar '11) Mar '16 New guy 5
looking for a man. Help appreciated Mar '16 rjheller 1
Bemidji Music Thread (Oct '13) Feb '16 Musikologist 11
Bimidji Airport Jan '16 Bimidji TSAJew 5
Rude inconsiderate people of Minnesota (Nov '15) Nov '15 Tex 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bemidji Mortgages