Lawn mower reportedly strikes Bemidji...

Lawn mower reportedly strikes Bemidji boy, 5, during school recess

There are 162 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Sep 10, 2010, titled Lawn mower reportedly strikes Bemidji boy, 5, during school recess. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Aden Martin, a first-year student at J.W. Smith Elementary School, was reportedly run over by a lawn mower while playing outside during recess Thursday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
jlr

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Sep 10, 2010
It's a little disconcerting that only one person, other than the parent, was concerned about this incident. Imagine how bad it could have been. Why is grass being cut at recess time? Seems like a better schedule should be worked out.
Stephane

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Sep 10, 2010
Please contact a trial lawyer and sue, sue, sue---we need to wipe out this epidemic of kids getting hit by lawnmowers!
MNDreamin

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Sep 10, 2010
Thank god that this child is still alive and hopfully has no long lasting physical injuries. Prayers go out to Aden, his mom, family and all of his friends.
Smoky the Bear

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Sep 10, 2010
Kid's a Modern Day Evel Kneival!
Imagine

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Sep 10, 2010
I guess they need more state funding to hire more 'nota-professionals' to watch the wee ones...
Imagine

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Sep 10, 2010
jlr wrote:
It's a little disconcerting that only one person, other than the parent, was concerned about this incident. Imagine how bad it could have been. Why is grass being cut at recess time? Seems like a better schedule should be worked out.
Recess runs all day! Different grades go at different times. Maybe they should just mow at night? How about paying attention to the kids you are being paid to watch!
Dan Wesson Guy

Philadelphia, PA

#8 Sep 10, 2010
jlr wrote:
I fully agree. It seems like they could have picked a much better time to mow the grass. Also, how did not one of the several people supervising these kids not see the kid run off toward the mower?
A Mom

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Sep 10, 2010
Nota Sheep wrote:
What a stupid name... "Aden".
What does that have to do with anything?
Momof 3

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Sep 10, 2010
What about the kids having some responsibilty for himself. He should have know not to play around the lawnmower in the first place. Take responsisblity for your actions. Glad he wasn't hurt
SallyLee

South Saint Paul, MN

#11 Sep 10, 2010
Nota Sheep wrote:
What a stupid name... "Aden".
Funny....I thought the same thing about the word...germany...
really

Hudson, WI

#12 Sep 10, 2010
Mom of three, really that's your answer? Anyone knows five year old children are watched for a reason, they do not know how to look out for themselves. Try some classes on childhood development so you can get some idea of how and when children acquire different skill sets.
MN Mom

Lindstrom, MN

#13 Sep 10, 2010
Imagine wrote:
<quoted text>
Recess runs all day! Different grades go at different times. Maybe they should just mow at night? How about paying attention to the kids you are being paid to watch!
Recess generally starts later in the morning, and the kids are usually gone by 3:15 or 3:30. Plenty of time to mow after that.
bored to tears

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Sep 10, 2010
I feel for the little guy. Being 5, new to school and the attendants were'nt watching the kids, just sucking up the hourly wage. Accidents do happen, but the Adults should have been more attentive to where the children were playing. I would tend to hold the school liable for this one. Employ better people, there are plenty people out there who would love a job.
X_moker

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Sep 10, 2010
Some of you blame the paraprofessionals who were supposed to be watching the kids, some blame the child himself. The daily schedule has even been mentioned as a possible culprit. How about the guy that was operating the lawn mower? Do any of you think that he could have perhaps stopped the lawn mower before he ran over the child?

Just a thought.
Love Llamas and cats

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Sep 10, 2010
The little guy gets run down by a lawn mower. Then the school calls the mother and the school lies and says just a little bump and scrape. Now the school acts like nothing happened. This little guy could still develop adverse affects of this accident. I think the school had better hope that doesn't happen because so far their behavior and response is disgusting at best. They'd better start caring. I, personally, would be contacting a lawyer right about now to instill some "care" into the school's employees where none exists now.
AdensMom

Bemidji, MN

#17 Sep 10, 2010
SallyLee wrote:
<quoted text>Funny....I thought the same thing about the word...germany...
Thank you :)
LDBMOM

Houston, TX

#18 Sep 10, 2010
How can anyone say that Aden (awesome name, I might add)is to blame and that he should take responsibility and be held accountable for his actions, HE IS 5 YEARS OLD FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!! People are paid to monitor kids at school and the person(s) monitoring Aden that day should be disciplined, if not terminated. If the mower blades had been going, he would have just been a memory to his mother. Who would be responsible for the actions then?? Schools are so quick to sweep incidents/accidnets (like this) under the rug when they (the school) are negligent or at fault, but when a student misbehaves they act on it immediately and make sure the student is held accountable for their actions. Where is the fairness and justice....I'm glad Aden is okay and I hope the school becomes accountable for what happened.
AdensGreatAunt

Phoenix, AZ

#19 Sep 10, 2010
This should never have happened! They should not be mowing during recess hours and they should have more people watching these children! As for "Germany", you are sick. A child was hurt somewhere he and his parents thought was a safe place to be. All we can hope and pray for is that Aden is okay both physically and emotionally and that this doesn't ever happen to another child!
What

Bemidji, MN

#20 Sep 10, 2010
THe person on the lawn mower should first be held responsible, then the school for how the situation was handled. No one should be mowing or using equipment such as this in a playground with children playing especially five year olds. The playground supervisors may not of had time to spot out the dangerous situation but a mower in a childrens play ground is an accident waiting to happen. The five year old should not be the one held accountable the person making that comment needs to recognize that a five year old can not be responsible for themselves. I think Aden is a wonderful name and whoever made that comment is being very insensitive to the situation!!! So glad this little boy is okay!!!!!
Bob

Hastings, MN

#21 Sep 10, 2010
Good to hear the kid didn't get hurt worse by the lawnmower.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bemidji Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Murder at Leech Lake in the 1970s (Oct '12) Nov 22 wodness 2 74
Bemidji Music Thread (Oct '13) Nov 8 Musikologist 12
News Cass Lake Man Accused Of Shooting At Man, Child (Mar '10) Sep '16 Midnitebis coming 163
News Officer fatally shoots teen in Bemidji (Aug '09) Sep '16 Holding them acco... 70
Press Release (Jun '16) Jun '16 Joanne Bergman 2
tract 33,, the good ole days (Feb '07) Apr '16 hey 34
Debate: Nuclear Power - Cass Lake, MN (Mar '11) Mar '16 New guy 5

Bemidji Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bemidji Mortgages