Detectives, Mayor Testify in Belvidere Gang Trial

Feb 12, 2010 Full story: WIFR 7

You won't see many gang signs anymore if a lawsuit aimed at preventing gang association, specifically the Latin Kings in Belvidere, is successful.

Full Story
CDB

Chicago, IL

#1 Feb 13, 2010
They are already adapted. They now wear Bears jerseys, jackets, and hats. Sorry, these efforts are 20 years to late, or is this just busy-work to keep your "efforts" in the public eye?
Chika Chika Boom Boom

Garden Prairie, IL

#2 Feb 13, 2010
Absolutely CDB! I cant see how a civil lawsuit is going to stop a bunch of punks who have no respect for the law to begin with, so coming after them with a civil suit is futile.
CDB

Dallas, TX

#3 Feb 17, 2010
Just searched Google to see if any other cities have tried this, could only find one: Orange County, CA
http://www.matttroskolaw.com/blog/2009/09/acl...

Looks really successful as well, considering the ACLU is now involved and filing a FEDERAL suit of their own. Is this something the local taxpayers are willing to pick up the tab for? Either the Mayor or the State's Attorney, or both, may have just bit off more than they could chew. Good one! Next time, instead of thinking you are onto something "cutting" edge, do a little more homework.

And, if I may add 2 more cents: the provided news article states that "gang signs" will be a thing of the past---I call you on your blatant lie! WIFR is probably one of the worst "news sources" in the country anyway. Stuck in the "Stateline" bubble.

Dear Boone County government hacks,
Do you want to really stop gangs or are you just acting in your own self interest to protect your jobs, at the expense of the hopefully blind and already taxed enough citizens?

PS It's your fault for letting it get this bad in the first place by allowing illegal immigrants to reside here and by not doing something more constructive for the youths, again, 20 years ago...

I hope you are all booted out of your Ivory Offices for your incompetence.
Citizen Of Belvidere

Decatur, IL

#4 Feb 19, 2010
This whole case is a joke. I personally know people who have been harassed by these so called Latin Kings, They were threatend in broad daylight right outside the YMCA. Needless to say the police were called and nothing was done. To the gangbangers, yet the law abiding citizens that were threatend and there children have been banned from the YMCA. Make sense out of that. And I agree with CDB they need more activities for the youth in this county to keep them off the street and out of trouble.
TheonetrueSatan

Belvidere, IL

#5 Aug 24, 2011
If the gangs are so bad in Belvidere why is it that whenever I see someone pulled over it is usually a little group of High School girls or other harmless teenagers? I have never once seen BPD ever have any of these thug A-holes on the ground cuffed like on COPS. I am beginning to think that the local Government may be taking drug money kickbacks. All those COPS in brand new CHARGERS and no gang arrests with the exception of one or two busts for the papers. I just recently found out that BPD's budget is to the tune of 3 million dollars more than Rockford's....Does this make sense? Belvidere Police and the mayor as well as the entire city council should be investigated!!
belvidere citizen

Poplar Grove, IL

#6 Feb 2, 2014
you received bad information on the budget. Rockfords budget is around 37.7 million and belvidere's is around 3 million.
belvidere citizen

Poplar Grove, IL

#7 Feb 2, 2014
also most arrests of gang banger do not reach the paper. some things are kept quiet for various reasons. I have a friend that works on the department and he said there are almost daily arrests of gang bangers during the summer

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Belvidere Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Catholic Charities refuses to place children wi... (Jun '11) 3 hr nOgOd 1,235
Hannah Montana Email!!!!!!! (Nov '07) 17 hr Fadumo 1,205
Bond increased for Marengo woman in alleged car... Dec 18 loled 1
Byron postal worker convicted of fraud (Oct '06) Dec 11 byron resident 43
Too Many Gambling Machines? (Mar '14) Dec 7 Jummon 3
Debate: Gay Marriage - Rockford, IL (Jul '10) Nov 20 Person Person 71
Review: Power House Music Nov '14 sweetiepie1987 1
Belvidere Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Belvidere People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Belvidere News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Belvidere

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:14 pm PST

Bleacher Report 1:14PM
Eddie Lacy Says He's 'Very Blind' but Doesn't Want to Wear Prescription Goggles
Bleacher Report 2:50 PM
Complete Week 15 Preview for Green Bay
Bleacher Report 8:19 PM
Ranking Packers' Best Wins over Buccaneers
NBC Sports 8:26 AM
Report: Executives suggest Bears could have to attach a draft pick to move Cutler
Yahoo! Sports12:30 PM
Greg Cosell's Look Ahead: Aaron Rodgers' off day