Natural care for Black hair - Is Blac...

Natural care for Black hair - Is Black hair stronger than other types of hair?

There are 10 comments on the Examiner.com story from Jun 24, 2010, titled Natural care for Black hair - Is Black hair stronger than other types of hair?. In it, Examiner.com reports that:

Herbal health consultant Risikat "Kat" Okedeyi at Smiles. Natural Care for Black Hair is a bi-monthly class taught at Smiles Herb Shop in College Park, Md., by herbal health consultant Risikat "Kat" Okedeyi.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Examiner.com.

Tai

Southold, NY

#1 Jun 25, 2010
No. Black hair is actually the most fragile. it snaps and breaks off very easily. Black hair grows the longest when left alone (eg Locks). Black needs lots and lots of conditioning.

“Beautiful Princess.....”

Since: Jan 08

Los Angeles, CA.

#2 Jun 25, 2010
I totally agree, it is the most fragile. It needs the proper conditioning,(deep conditioning every 6 weeks and creme/oil moisturizing. It also needs regular trims to get rid of split ends, that's a huge problem. My hair is really long, but I take good care of it.

I have a client that is an absolute idiot. She doesn't listen to anything I say, yet asks question after question. I think what she really want's is for me to tell her how to do it herself. She does her own color and relaxer. If the wind blows some of her hair follows it. But I can't seem to make her understand that SHE is the problem. So I don't even try anymore.
ole blue eyes

United States

#3 Jun 25, 2010
Tai wrote:
No. Black hair is actually the most fragile. it snaps and breaks off very easily. Black hair grows the longest when left alone (eg Locks). Black needs lots and lots of conditioning.
Really? My hair does not have breakage at all; I also dont use any oils, grease or jells in my hair, I wash my hair every other day and everyday during the summer when it is hot. I rarely use any heat on my hair. It is naturally curly and wavy down past the middle of my back. The only thing I leave in my hair is conditioner.
Bling Bling

United States

#4 Jun 25, 2010
ole blue eyes wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? My hair does not have breakage at all; I also dont use any oils, grease or jells in my hair, I wash my hair every other day and everyday during the summer when it is hot. I rarely use any heat on my hair. It is naturally curly and wavy down past the middle of my back. The only thing I leave in my hair is conditioner.
That's because your not black.
Blonde Bomb

Lawndale, NC

#5 Jun 25, 2010
Shave your head!!! It will be cleaner and you will not have to F...with it. Keeps the lice out of it!!!
We never have those problems, do you have any wire cutters???
Bling Bling

United States

#6 Jun 25, 2010
Blonde Bomb wrote:
Shave your head!!! It will be cleaner and you will not have to F...with it. Keeps the lice out of it!!!
We never have those problems, do you have any wire cutters???
I heard alot of bw do that. They shave at least the top anyway. It makes the lace front lay flatter and fit better so that it almost looks real.
ole blue eyes

United States

#7 Jun 25, 2010
Bling Bling wrote:
<quoted text> That's because your not black.
Yes I am.

APV

“You were saying about bp aging”

Since: Apr 08

still busy trolling??

#8 Jun 25, 2010
Bychance37 wrote:
I totally agree, it is the most fragile. It needs the proper conditioning,(deep conditioning every 6 weeks and creme/oil moisturizing. It also needs regular trims to get rid of split ends, that's a huge problem. My hair is really long, but I take good care of it.
I have a client that is an absolute idiot. She doesn't listen to anything I say, yet asks question after question. I think what she really want's is for me to tell her how to do it herself. She does her own color and relaxer. If the wind blows some of her hair follows it. But I can't seem to make her understand that SHE is the problem. So I don't even try anymore.
Is it only fragile cause if it's not properly conditioned. Compare healthy/moisturized hair of a BW to a WW or a Polynesian or AW. Is our hair really that bad when it's properly cared for? Or is it that we, as a group, don't know or have the products available to take care of our hair?

APV

“You were saying about bp aging”

Since: Apr 08

still busy trolling??

#9 Jun 25, 2010
OK, disregard my questions. The article answered it.
Bling Bling

United States

#10 Jun 25, 2010
ole blue eyes wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I am.
Liar.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beltsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lights, camera, action for filming of pilot for... (Jan '09) Mar '17 Mary Hilliard 62
News Naked man climbs on fire truck, arrested (May '13) Feb '17 Fireman Phart 7
News Uber driver assaulted, kidnapped rider, Pr. Geo... Nov '16 jose 1
News Naked man interrupts UMD student's workout (Sep '16) Sep '16 The Salsa 1
Tribute to Dr. Aubrey C. Land (Apr '14) Sep '16 Mike Morrow 4
Man by the name of "Mamud Sesay" (Mar '12) Jun '16 fayemarie5 3
Debate: War on Christmas - Beltsville, MD (Dec '11) Mar '16 Jeff 5

Beltsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Beltsville Mortgages